Author Topic: WordPress Plugin - Buy This Book Extended  (Read 15238 times)  

Offline Claire Ryan

• Vancouver
  • Author/web programmer/archer/longsword fighter
    • View Profile
    • Raynfall.com
Re: WordPress Plugin - Buy This Book Extended
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2015, 09:32:33 pm »
This is partly a bump, and partly just to tell Claire again how much I'm loving this plugin. I had to change out a cover from a placeholder to the real cover, and it was the easiest thing ever to do. I don't even have to worry about running around trying to find all the instances of the picture, because the plugin has picked them all up.  ;D

:) Glad it's working well for you.

Remember guys, feature requests and bug reports are welcome! I'm subscribed to this thread, so anything posted here will get seen.
Fire Eyes, Shadowblade: 60%

Winterlight: 30%

The Call of Aven-Ra: 0%

Author/Programmer/Swordfighter/Book-binder
Claire Ryan | Website | Facebook | Twitter

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline JTriptych

• View Profile
    « Reply #51 on: October 08, 2015, 11:55:03 pm »
    Bookmarked!  ;D

Will this work with free WP sites as well? I heard you couldnt embed anything on them?

Offline Claire Ryan

• Vancouver
      • View Profile
      • Raynfall.com
    « Reply #52 on: October 09, 2015, 12:45:19 am »
    Bookmarked!  ;D

Will this work with free WP sites as well? I heard you couldnt embed anything on them?

No, sorry. This is for self-hosted WP sites only. I don't think you can install any plugins on the free Wordpress.com blogs.

Offline Kate Lowell

• Feed me and tell me I'm pretty.
      • View Profile
      • The Blunt Instrument
    « Reply #53 on: November 05, 2015, 03:54:17 pm »
    Claire, can you tell me what this error I'm getting is and what I can do about it?

failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request in /home/katelowe/public_html/wp-content/plugins/buy-this-book-extended/class_btbe_api_connections.php on line 64 

I only just got around to getting the API keys for reviews, and this is what happened. (Did some more investigating and it seems to be the AWS Acces Key that's causing the problem. But without it, I can't pull the reviews over.)

Hmm. Would it be difficult for you to add a field for what number book it was in the series? Like, I've just started a trilogy. The first one is up on my website, but there's no place to indicate that it's book #1. Ideally, it would be nice to have:

Flesh Market
    Bodies and Souls #1

Or something similar, above the blurb. I've sort of brute forced it for now, but when the second one comes out, it would be nice if I could leave the series field as Bodies and Souls, and have something else to append the #1 to Flesh Market, and the #2 to Proud Flesh.

Thanks   ;D
    « Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 04:47:32 pm by Kate Lowell »

Offline Nancy_G

• Chicagoland
    • A Chicago girl with a mighty pen
      • View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: November 05, 2015, 11:28:34 pm »
    I just installed this tonight and really like it! Here's a link to my site with the plugin on the right side: http://www.nancyglynn.com/.  I love how it'll be on every page/post. This is the second plugin I've gotten from a fellow Kboarder this week (the progress report above it).

Thanks so much!
    Nancy

Offline Claire Ryan

• Vancouver
      • View Profile
      • Raynfall.com
    « Reply #55 on: November 06, 2015, 12:49:20 am »
    Claire, can you tell me what this error I'm getting is and what I can do about it?

failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request in /home/katelowe/public_html/wp-content/plugins/buy-this-book-extended/class_btbe_api_connections.php on line 64 

I only just got around to getting the API keys for reviews, and this is what happened. (Did some more investigating and it seems to be the AWS Acces Key that's causing the problem. But without it, I can't pull the reviews over.)

Hmm. Would it be difficult for you to add a field for what number book it was in the series? Like, I've just started a trilogy. The first one is up on my website, but there's no place to indicate that it's book #1. Ideally, it would be nice to have:

Flesh Market
    Bodies and Souls #1

Or something similar, above the blurb. I've sort of brute forced it for now, but when the second one comes out, it would be nice if I could leave the series field as Bodies and Souls, and have something else to append the #1 to Flesh Market, and the #2 to Proud Flesh.

Thanks   ;D

That does not look good. I'll review the code tomorrow, see what I can do.

Offline Kate Lowell

• View Profile
      • The Blunt Instrument
    « Reply #56 on: November 06, 2015, 03:06:23 am »
    awesome. Thank you. I removed the offending API key so it's not doing that, but if you want to see the whole text, I can put it back in and you can check out one of the pages.

Offline Claire Ryan

• Vancouver
      • View Profile
      • Raynfall.com
    « Reply #57 on: November 07, 2015, 10:21:55 pm »
    awesome. Thank you. I removed the offending API key so it's not doing that, but if you want to see the whole text, I can put it back in and you can check out one of the pages.

Hi Kate, I think I need to see this one in action. Just to doublecheck, I'm running the plugin on my own site and you can see the Amazon and Goodreads reviews working normally here: http://raynfall.com/the-meldling/

Did you add the Amazon Associates tag as well? Missing that might cause this kind of error.

I've also added the series number value to the book records as well, it'll show up anywhere the series name appears in the format [Series Name] [Series Number Text]

Examples: A Song of Ice and Fire Book 1, Bodies and Souls #1

Offline Kate Lowell

• View Profile
      • The Blunt Instrument
    « Reply #58 on: November 10, 2015, 04:54:40 pm »
    I can put the codes back in if you want, but I literally released today, and don't want to mess up the way the blog looks, lol.  If I throw them in tonight, would you have time to have a look?

Offline Claire Ryan

• Vancouver
      • View Profile
      • Raynfall.com
    « Reply #59 on: November 10, 2015, 10:18:00 pm »
    I can put the codes back in if you want, but I literally released today, and don't want to mess up the way the blog looks, lol.  If I throw them in tonight, would you have time to have a look?

Can you set up a test page that isn't linked on any other pages, and message it to me?

I can't remember if you were having an issue with your blog being in a subfolder, might be related here.

Offline Kate Lowell

• View Profile
      • The Blunt Instrument
    « Reply #60 on: November 16, 2015, 05:17:47 pm »
    Whoops! Sorry, i got crazy busy with promo and working on the Christmas release. I've got the shortcodes scattered all through the website, so making a test page isn't going to change anything unless I go through and replace them all with list codes. I don't have the site in a subfolder any more, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm wondering if I'm not putting in some value that the code needs, but I don't know enough javascript or php to figure it out on my own.

What if I put the codes in and copied the whole error code and emailed it to you?

Offline Claire Ryan

• Vancouver
      • View Profile
      • Raynfall.com
    « Reply #61 on: November 16, 2015, 11:02:20 pm »
    Whoops! Sorry, i got crazy busy with promo and working on the Christmas release. I've got the shortcodes scattered all through the website, so making a test page isn't going to change anything unless I go through and replace them all with list codes. I don't have the site in a subfolder any more, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm wondering if I'm not putting in some value that the code needs, but I don't know enough javascript or php to figure it out on my own.

What if I put the codes in and copied the whole error code and emailed it to you?

I've really got to see this in action, so I can check what's coming back from the API call. Can you PM me when you've got the chance? If I can get on google chat or something with you while you do this, I can get a look at one of the pages for the five seconds you have the codes in there.

Alternatively, and this might be a long shot - can you check the ASINs, the Amazon Associate tags, and the API keys to make sure that there are no extra spaces or punctuation hiding in there?

Offline AngelaQuarles

• Mobile, AL
      • View Profile
      • Angela Quarles
    « Reply #62 on: June 26, 2016, 09:09:14 pm »
    Is this still an active plugin?

I like being able to have it accessible as short codes so I can put other stuff on the page, but I was wondering if I'm doing something wrong, because my blurb isn't wrapping. Test page: http://angelaquarles.com/books/must-love-series/must-love-breeches/

Is it possible to not have the colored background?

Thanks!

Sexy Laughs. Yesterday, today, and tomorrow
    RITA-award winning and USA Today bestselling author Angela Quarles | website

Offline Claire Ryan

• Vancouver
      • View Profile
      • Raynfall.com
    « Reply #63 on: June 26, 2016, 11:35:19 pm »
    Is this still an active plugin?

I like being able to have it accessible as short codes so I can put other stuff on the page, but I was wondering if I'm doing something wrong, because my blurb isn't wrapping. Test page: http://angelaquarles.com/books/must-love-series/must-love-breeches/

Is it possible to not have the colored background?

Thanks!

Yes, this is still active, but I've run into some issues when I submitted it to the WordPress Directory. I added it as a new plugin, and they want me to rewrite it as an upgrade to the original BTB plugin. This is going to take a while longer.

If your blurb isn't wrapping, and there's a colored background, that's controlled by the CSS in your own WordPress theme. It's not actually the plugin doing it. Do you know anything about CSS styling?

How quickly do you need people to try this? I'm interested but I'm about to roll into some promos from the 1st and wouldn't want to mess with my website until afterwards (about the middle of the month). I'm using my book table but I hate it.

There's no rush on testing. It's been available for a while on my website and I've got enough feedback to submit it to the WP Directory. I'm always open to feature requests if there's something that people want that isn't there.

Offline KL_Phelps

• View Profile
    « Reply #64 on: June 28, 2016, 02:32:29 pm »
    tagging

Offline Claire Ryan

• Vancouver
      • View Profile
      • Raynfall.com
    « Reply #65 on: June 30, 2016, 11:19:17 pm »
    Just a further update about this - I'm in contact with someone over at the WordPress Directory, and I'm trying to get the plugin submitted as an upgrade to the old one. If they give me the all-clear, this should be available in the Directory very soon!

I've been thinking about other plugins that might be useful for authors, and I'm wondering about taking a closer look at Goodreads and LibraryThing integration.

Offline Claire Ryan

• Vancouver
      • View Profile
      • Raynfall.com
    « Reply #66 on: July 01, 2016, 09:06:13 pm »
    Another update about this plugin - it's going to be submitted as a new plugin, but it needs to be renamed so there's no confusion with the old one.

If anyone has any suggestions for a name for this tool, I'm all ears! I'm leaning towards calling it the Author Showcase or something, seeing as all it does is display books nicely on a WordPress site.

Offline A.A

• When I grow up....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #67 on: July 02, 2016, 03:16:47 am »
    'Author Showcase' sounds great!

Offline Sarah Shaw

• Prague
      • View Profile
    « Reply #68 on: July 02, 2016, 05:59:11 am »
    'Author Showcase' sounds great!
    I agree.

Offline Claire Ryan

• Vancouver
      • View Profile
      • Raynfall.com
    « Reply #69 on: July 02, 2016, 09:41:17 pm »
    Alrighty then, the renamed plugin has been submitted to the Directory. Waiting on their feedback now...

Offline Claire Ryan

• Vancouver
      • View Profile
      • Raynfall.com
    « Reply #70 on: July 04, 2016, 08:16:44 pm »
    And it's done! Thanks to everyone who helped develop this plugin! It's now available in the WordPress Directory!

https://wordpress.org/plugins/author-showcase/

Anyone who still has the plugin under the old name of Buy This Book Extended, you can keep using that if you like. If you'd rather use the version in the WP Directory, just uninstall BTBE first. Once you activate the Author Showcase plugin, you should see all your books as normal.

Offline A.A

• When I grow up....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #71 on: July 04, 2016, 10:15:28 pm »
    Yay Claire! Well done :)

Am going to take this plugin for a spin when I get the chance.

Offline Incognita

• Anywhere
      • View Profile
    « Reply #72 on: July 05, 2016, 09:34:36 am »
    Hi, Claire. I installed the plug-in and have started to add books, but for some reason it's not letting me enter any buy links. Every time I hit "save," it says the book is saved, but there's no place to enter the actual store links. Any ideas on what's going wrong?

ETA: Even though it seemed as if I was saving my work after I entered each book, only the last one I set up actually appeared in the book list, so I lost all that work. :( I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm going back to the older version for now. It's easier to deal with.
    « Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 09:51:06 am by ChristinePope »

Offline Claire Ryan

• Vancouver
      • View Profile
      • Raynfall.com
    « Reply #73 on: July 05, 2016, 11:14:07 pm »
    Hi, Claire. I installed the plug-in and have started to add books, but for some reason it's not letting me enter any buy links. Every time I hit "save," it says the book is saved, but there's no place to enter the actual store links. Any ideas on what's going wrong?

ETA: Even though it seemed as if I was saving my work after I entered each book, only the last one I set up actually appeared in the book list, so I lost all that work. :( I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm going back to the older version for now. It's easier to deal with.

Hi Christine, do you have the add button here? http://imgur.com/korjKSd

You should be able to add the links using this button. You click that to create a new link slot, fill it in, then save the book.

The reason only the last one is showing up is because the form switches to editing that book as soon as you save it, or it should. I suspect you've overwriting the books you've already entered.

Do you get a link at the top to add another book or return to the book list when you hit save?

Just FYI - you can actually use both of these plugins at the same time, so feel free to mess about with the Showcase one as much as you want. It won't show up anywhere on the front end until you use the widget or the shortcodes.

Offline Claire Ryan

• Vancouver
      • View Profile
      • Raynfall.com
    « Reply #74 on: July 11, 2016, 02:13:11 pm »
    Hi all

Traci Loudin emailed me about this plugin, and suggested a new feature - a scrolling widget that shows books in sequence with left and right arrows to flick through each one. I think this sounds like an awesome idea :P especially for a series, you could put them all in there, start at Book 1, and then let the user flick through them all.

Here's what it looks like, as per Traci's site: http://www.traciloudin.com/free

You can see the widget in the sidebar with the arrows above it. If I add it to the Author Showcase, it'll obviously pick up whatever style your theme uses, so it'll probably look a little different on your own site.

What say you, friends? Do you think you'd use this? If at least three people say yes, I'll get to work :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement