Author Topic: Part II: Enter the Villain: Chapters 12 through 15  (Read 1460 times)  

Offline Archer

• Alterra
  • Author of Elfhunter, Fire-heart, Ravenshade
    • View Profile
    • www.elfhunter.net
Part II: Enter the Villain: Chapters 12 through 15
« on: March 27, 2010, 06:45:16 pm »
In this part of the story, we really get a good look at the Elfhunter!

NOW what is your assessment of Gorgon? What new aspects of his character are revealed during his encounter with the Company?

In Alterra, there are no 'miraculous healing potions' or 'spells of regeneration'. Do the difficulties suffered by the characters (due, in some part, to the conspicuous lack of 'magical forces') enhance the story or detract from it?

What did you think of Galador's reaction to Nelwyn's deadly injury? He blames Gaelen for it. Do you understand why, and do you believe she deserves the blame?

Friendship and loyalty are very common themes in all tales of Alterra. Did you enjoy the story of the incident at Thall-dalen? Now do you have a better understanding of Gaelen's obsession with tracking and slaying Gorgon?

The depth of Gaelen and Nelwyn's friendship is demonstrated in a very dramatic way. In your opinion, is it Gaelen's argument that persuades Nelwyn, or is it something else?

Magra is another of my favorite heroes, although we don't see much of him until Ravenshade. What is your assessment of his relationship with Gaelen? Do you agree with Orogond's handling of his emotions at the feast? (Drat that pesky Fima!)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 06:54:30 pm by archer »
NOW AVAILABLE FROM PARTHIAN PRESS

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
      • View Profile
    Re: Part II: Enter the Villain: Chapters 12 through 15
    « Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 11:55:23 am »
    Gorgon is a nasty thing, although you "almost" feel sorry for him.  :-[  It's as though he is horrible beyond his own understanding, and as a reader, I'd like to see him overcome his affliction and leave the elves alone but I don't see it ever happening.

I think Gaelen and Nelwyn have more than just an elvish friendship going.  They are also cousins, right?  I know the cousins I grew up with I'm VERY close to.  They both seem to look out for each other at all times and they make a team together that balances the strengths and weaknesses of the other...on their own, each would potentially be at risk as is seen in Fire-heart.

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:28:49 am »
    You're right about Gaelen and Nelwyn. Actually, they have very little kin left in Alterra other than rather distant relations. They are like 'partners' on cop shows, also. They have been patrolling the Greatwood together for hundreds of years--depending on and helping each other, relying on each other for company, all of the above. Hunter-scouts are like the equivalent of a terrestrial Coast Guard.
    They socialize with others, of course, but when they are 'deployed' they might be out in the forest for weeks at a time.

No wonder Gaelen is so 'feral'. :D

It might interest you to know that Gorgon is my absolute favorite character. He is so deliciously complex!
    Just wait'll you get to Ravenshade! It's Gorgon's book.

Offline drenfrow

• Terlingua, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 02:15:04 pm »
    At this point Gorgon just seems a really bad guy.  I feel that he is smarter though than I first thought him to be.

Although there isn't a lot of obvious magic, the skills of the elves do almost border on magical--Gaelen and Nelwyn with their tracking skills and scampering up trees...  At least to humans they must appear rather magical.

You can understand Galador blaming Gaelen although it really isn't a fair assessment.  He is just very protective of Nelwyn.

Woke up this morning with a terrific urge to lie in bed all day and read. -Raymond Carver

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 02:33:20 pm »
    Certainly, the Elves cross the border with the 'spirit realm' a lot more easily than humans do! Gaelen's rather unique ability to read the last thoughts of the dead would be at least paranormal if not magical. Gaelen's tracking skills are mostly due to her very acute senses and centuries of experience, though. Certainly would seem magical to us 'mere mortals'!  :D

Offline R. M. Reed

• Glendale, CA
      • View Profile
      • Barstow Productions
    « Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 10:37:32 am »
    I knew there was a police investigation feel to the first book. That was one of my earliest comments. Finding bodies and learning about the killer from them, it's all very CSI or NCIS.

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 06:17:25 pm »
    Y'know, R, you're right. All they needed was swabbing under Talrodin's fingernails for DNA!
    (And, of course, all crime scene techs look like fashion models according to CSI, so the aelves should fit right in!)  ;)

Offline bkworm8it

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 06:36:47 pm »
    I just wanted to post that I am enjoying this series and try to sneak in time to read at every chance I have. Unfortunately my courses are keeping me busy and too tired to think about answers to post here but I'm enjoying other peoples thoughts and the book!  I really like the 4 main characters so far. At least I think they will be the 4 main characters LOL :)

theresam
    So many good books, so little time!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement