Author Topic: Part III: A Little Romance Won't KILL You! Chapters 16 and 17  (Read 1233 times)  

Offline Archer

• Alterra
  • Author of Elfhunter, Fire-heart, Ravenshade
    • View Profile
    • www.elfhunter.net
A lot of insight is given into Gaelen's character in these two chapters.
Come on, guys...it won't kill you! If you are allergic to romance, you might want to skip this part.  ;)

1. So, now you are aware of Gaelen's 'emotional baggage'. Does this explain any aspect of her behavior/character?
2. Rain is the closest thing to an 'ultimate tragic hero' that I could create. What characteristics do you like/admire? Did you react in a negative way to any aspect of Rain's character?
3. Galador tries very hard to dissuade Orogond from continuing to court Gaelen. Which character, in your opinion, has the stronger argument--Orogond or Galador? Would you also advise Orogond to place his heart in different hands?
4. The BIG question: Did Gaelen and Rain 'do the deed'? Have they experienced the (ahem) ultimate intimate? Where does the prose lead YOUR mind?

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 07:21:14 am by archer »
NOW AVAILABLE FROM PARTHIAN PRESS

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Winter9

• Norway
    • Books read on Kindle 2015: 4
      • View Profile
      • Winters verden av e-boklesere og bker
    Re: Part III: A Little Romance Won't KILL You! Chapters 16 and 17
    « Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 02:09:34 am »
    I have reached chapter 17 now :)

I'm wondering how this will turn out. Orogond turns out to be deeper than I thought him to be.

I loved when Gaelen imagined her army  :D Not in an army, HER army  ;D She's just so bold and strong!

It's difficult to put the book down!
    Proud Kindle-owner since 2.February 2010 (15.22)
    Add me on goodreads: Winter9
    Recommended: Michael R. Hicks In Her Name
    Reading now:
    Michael R.Hicks - The Legend of The Sword
    C.S.Marks - Elfhunter
    J.R.R. Tolkien - The Lord of The Rings
    Jacob Abbott - Xerxes , Makers of History

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 08:14:13 am »
    Winter: As you can probably tell by now, I love Orogond. I mean, REALLY love him. If I has to create a character to share my life with, he would have many of the same characteristics. Orogond is utterly devoted, he is kind and gentle, yet a fierce protector. He tries to do what's right. He is of unimpeachable character--honest to the core. I love the rogues for a brief romantic encounter, but I'd spend my life with Orogond.

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 10:51:26 am »
    In Elfhunter I didn't get a real sense of Rain...I actually found it somewhat disappointing that Gaelen had someone she kept thinking about when Orogond was so obviously there and smitten.  It's not like he's a real "second choice" if you ask me. 

If pressed, I'd say Rain and Gaelen did NOT hook-up...my impression was they were only together for a very short time before he fell, no?  I don't think they'd say, "You have my heart...now off with your clothes", right?  ;) They had eternity since they are immortal, so why would they rush in?

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 05:47:03 am »
    In Elfhunter I didn't get a real sense of Rain...I actually found it somewhat disappointing that Gaelen had someone she kept thinking about when Orogond was so obviously there and smitten.  It's not like he's a real "second choice" if you ask me. 

If pressed, I'd say Rain and Gaelen did NOT hook-up...my impression was they were only together for a very short time before he fell, no?  I don't think they'd say, "You have my heart...now off with your clothes", right?  ;) They had eternity since they are immortal, so why would they rush in?

Hi, Brew! Your reaction makes perfect sense. It's not a normal or easy situation for any Elf or man to find himself in. Rest assured that Gaelen doesn't look at Orogond as a 'second choice'. She loves him with all of her that is still free to do so. However, she is in a difficult emotional/spiritual position. Rain left her, but he took a piece of her with him, and he cannot ever restore it. Orogond cannot restore it, as he doesn't have it. Rain gives up a part of his own spirit in Ravenshade, thus making Gaelen whole again, and believe it or not, this helps her immensely. She doesn't 'long' for Rain at all after that.

As far as 'doing the deed', I would only say this: Rain knew that he was going to die when he left for the third uprising. Shandor showed him when (and how) he would meet his fate. (brrrr!) He went anyway (lord love him), but he knew he wasn't coming back. He tries to deny it...to hope, but he knows.   

KBoards.com

• Advertisement