NetGalley

Author Topic: Beta Reading *Discount for Military Epic Fantasy*  (Read 4801 times)  

Online Blerg et al.

• View Profile
Re: Dev Beta Read *Discount for Military Epic Fantasy*
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2018, 05:03:29 PM »
I'm at the nebula conference! Just caught data guy's presentation. I had a hunch that there was room in the military fantasy market. Lo and behold, the numbers say that's one place where indies are still underrepresented. Well off to watch the awards! Excited, but also tired.

Online Blerg et al.

• View Profile
Re: Beta Reading *Discount for Military Epic Fantasy*
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2018, 05:26:41 AM »
June is full, but I've got two openings in July and three in August.

Online Blerg et al.

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2018, 08:57:23 AM »
Still thinking about the Nebula conference. What a blast that was. Got to meet some great indies from my favorite groups and podcasts, and some great trad folks. Most fun panel was the talk on Health and Happiness for writers. I say fun but...things got dark. The burnout is real. So is the elevated suicide rate among authors and spinal surgery from bad posture. Take care of yourselves folks, and get a support group. I have an author google hangout that meets every month or so and some fantastic clients who commiserate when stuff gets hard.

On to business:

I'm booked up for the next few months (If you're one of my regulars don't worry, I've saved a spot for you and your rates haven't changed.)

I've been doing these beta reads for a year now and am pretty happy with the group of authors I get to work with. From here on out, I will be more selective with which clients I take on, I'll still offer freebies from time to time, but more focused on my favorite genres.

Discount for Military Fantasy still applies (see bottom of my original post.) Also a discount for people who book four or more months in advance.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 09:31:21 AM by Blerg et al. »

Online Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2018, 09:13:59 AM »
Still thinking about the Nebula conference. What a blast that was. Got to meet some great indies from my favorite groups and podcasts, and some great trad folks. Most fun panel was the talk on Health and Happiness for writers. I say fun but...things got dark. The burnout is real. So is the elevated suicide rate among authors and spinal surgery from bad posture. Take care of yourselves folks, and get a support group. I have an author google hangout that meets every month or so and some fantastic clients who commiserate when stuff gets hard.

On to business:

I'm booked up for the next few months (If you're one of my regulars don't worry, I've saved a spot for you and your rates haven't changed.)

I've been doing these beta reads for a year now and am pretty happy with the group of authors I get to work with. From here on out, I will be more selective with which clients I take on, I'll still offer freebies from time to time, but more focused on my favorite genres.

Discount for Military Fantasy still applies (see bottom of this post). Also a discount for people who book four or more months in advance.

Dustin provides a ton of value and is very responsive. He considers your goals and writing voice and has given me angles I hadn't noticed before. I have commissioned him to help me with a tricky book this month and am excited for what we can come up with. Highly recommended!
Havenglade Mysteries (Book 1) developmental editing: 75%

Daughter of Dragons(DoH book4) prologue and chapter one: 17%

world-building and conlang for new series: 1%
H.C. Harrington

Offline geronl

• Mirrors are scary to me, lol
    • View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2018, 10:55:12 AM »
I'm not sure what Military Fantasy is

Floyd Looney

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2018, 02:32:07 PM »
I'm not sure what Military Fantasy is
I'd assume it's like the Battle for Gondor.

Offline geronl

• Mirrors are scary to me, lol
    • View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2018, 02:33:33 PM »
I'd assume it's like the Battle for Gondor.

Fought by two armies of naked women with pool noodles?

:p

Floyd Looney

Online Blerg et al.

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2018, 06:27:07 PM »
Probably should start a new thread to chat about this, but to answer the question:

I know very little but, military fantasy is similar to military scifi.

Typically the main characters are serving in the military. The books are not always centered around a war or a battle. Rather the war is a backdrop and supply lines, intelligence reports, chain of command are important set pieces. The use of magic can vary. Sometimes mages take the place of artillery unit, other times those who can do magic are the special forces or communications/intelligence officers.

Often the MC is some grunt or unit leader. Personal stories are more important than who wins which battles.

A fantasy book with many battles, but no recognizable military structure is not really military scifi. A book about a fighter who is not enlisted or serving in some professional capacity, is not military scifi. And an epic fantasy about a king leading an army, is probably not military fantasy.

I would like to write a book about a cleric and a battle bard who trounce around just behind the front line staunching wounds, delivering letters from loved ones, and waylaying enemy spies, but if someone else can write it faster, I'd love to read that.

To my knowledge it does not involve large naked groups of women or men with pool noodles, but litrpg might.

This is an "author services" thread,  I don't want to bother the admins so any more q&a can go in a new thread ;) Pm me a link if you start one.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 06:43:00 PM by Blerg et al. »

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2018, 07:33:55 PM »
Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings, then. One of the guys starts off as a slave pushing ladders over chasms so the troops can go over. His POV was all about his ideas to help his ladder team survive, his advances, and the consequences that had on the army overall. It delved a lot into the strategy used to try and take over this chasm riddled area. Another POV is about a dude at the top end who has all the fancy equipment and what all was going on at that level. Squabbles between commanders, betrayal, trouble with the enemy, and issues with the the environment.

Online Blerg et al.

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2018, 06:47:28 PM »
Looks like I'll have one more opening near the end of June.
July is up in the air. A lot of reservations, but some folks might run over.