Author Topic: Part IV: Exploring new realms--Chapters 18-21  (Read 1821 times)  

Offline Archer

• Alterra
  • Author of Elfhunter, Fire-heart, Ravenshade
    • View Profile
    • www.elfhunter.net
Part IV: Exploring new realms--Chapters 18-21
« on: March 29, 2010, 07:04:09 pm »
1. There's a lot of 'Dwarfage' in this part of the book. What is the usual Dwarvish stereotype in fantasy books of your acquaintance?  Does Fima fit in with that stereotype, or is he in a class by himself?

2. When Gaelen is in the water with Orogond, where (IYO) does she rate on the 'clueless' scale? (From 1-10, where 10 is utterly clueless).

3. The interplay between Nelwyn, Gaelen, and Galador--your thoughts?

4. Is it really Gorgon's 'strength' which allows him to use the ring, or is it something else?

5. Why does Gaelen hesitate before entering the Cavern-realm?

6. Who would like to have her ears massaged by Orogond now? (This is a trick question! Me! ME!!)

7. Once Orogond has turned to Gaelen for comfort after being frustrated and disappointed by Farin's relative lack of information, he refers to her as 'my love'. Do you still think she's clueless, or is she in denial?

8. What indications has Gorgon given that he might not be entirely devoid of redeeming qualities?

9. Gaelen gains a thing of great value during this section of the book. What is it? What do you think of the interplay between Gaelen and Fima?

10. What is your favorite 'horsey moment' so far?
NOW AVAILABLE FROM PARTHIAN PRESS

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Winter9

• Norway
    • Books read on Kindle 2015: 4
      • View Profile
      • Winters verden av e-boklesere og bker
    Re: Part IV: Exploring new realms--Chapters 18-21
    « Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 08:43:13 am »
    I felt so bad for Gaelen! She's so strong, and yet this is happening to her. I really liked to see some of her soft side as she prayed. I'm starting chapter 22 now. I haven't been able to do a lot of reading the last three days or so, so it's nice to finally sit down with the book and enjoy it.

The more I read, the more I fall in love with the characters and the story. I just wished I could call someone in Hollywood and tell them to make the movie NOW!!! It's shame if this doesn't turn into a movie someday, but I really wish it could be before Meryl Streep and Keira Knightly are done in business. Well. It's not really my choice either, just dreams :P
    Proud Kindle-owner since 2.February 2010 (15.22)
    Add me on goodreads: Winter9
    Recommended: Michael R. Hicks In Her Name
    Reading now:
    Michael R.Hicks - The Legend of The Sword
    C.S.Marks - Elfhunter
    J.R.R. Tolkien - The Lord of The Rings
    Jacob Abbott - Xerxes , Makers of History

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 09:23:03 am »
    Well, Winter, my fine Norwegian friend, you never know! Maybe we'll get our wish.

Gaelen has a HUGE 'soft side'. She is, in fact, both childlike and very sentimental at times. She also was really upset by the needless slaying of Tibo. She found him delightfully naive and adorable. We'll visit this again. One of my friends named her favorite dog 'Tibo'. She even bought him a green jacket which he promptly outgrew.

YOU are the first to post in this section! That gets you a map. Now keep posting...maybe you'll get some books for your library.

Offline Winter9

• Norway
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 11:00:33 am »
    Seriously??? You are so kind archer, my friend! A thousand thank you!!!!!  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    My library needs this books, but what I do hope is that if I get them the first one they needs to buy the last two. It's shame these books aren't in  the library yet as I think we do have an english section! We will figure it out, I may get money enough to buy one :D But it has to be signed!

I think Tibo is an awesome name for a dog!!

I knew she was soft inside! I think she is my favorite! She and Galador. I think it is because I can see myself in them. But Gaelen is a bit more on the fighting side than me :P But like her I don't always follow the "social rules".

I totally fell asleep here now. I get really tired in afternoon. But now I'm ready again  ;D I will read some more! I hope to see more of Lady Arialde! I picture the place inside of my head, so beautiful!

I remember you said it was a fast read once. I think it is much like The Lord of the Rings in that matter. I can't rush through that one either. It's just so huge and involving that it takes time. And by that I don't mean just the size of the book...

I think it's so cool to have this place to discuss it with you (and others). It makes it even more interesting! You will do the same with the other books right? I don't think it will take me to long to get to them, but I often have to read books in between when reading a series (or many). The books between will often be faster reads. I don't know why I am like that. My siser reads Margit Sandemo's Legend of Ice People without stop! I admire her there, but I have to do it otherwise for myself no matter how much I like the books I read. Maybe I will read second book in In Her Name in between. Am I weird? Or do someone else do it like that too? Do you read a whole series non stop Archer?

Reading now:
    C.S.Marks - Elfhunter

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 11:15:27 am »
    Well, that depends. If it is a trilogy--a story told in three parts--I'll read it through without any interruptions. A series where one book might not necessarily immediately continue the story is different.
    Harry Potter, for example--each book was a complete story in itself. Elfhunter is one story in three parts, as was LOTR. I had to read that one straight through.

It's easy to take a break after 'Elfhunter', though. It can stand alone. Fire-heart...well, when you get to the end of THAT one, I'll be surprised if you can read anything else before the first part of Ravenshade.

Back me up, guys--am I right? :)

Online Tip10

• Southern Illinois
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 11:32:47 am »
    It's easy to take a break after 'Elfhunter', though. It can stand alone. Fire-heart...well, when you get to the end of THAT one, I'll be surprised if you can read anything else before the first part of Ravenshade.

Ummm, I read Elfhunter -- went off and read a few others, picked up Fireheart, got maybe a third of the way through it and went out and bought Ravenshade -- I did not want to take even the remotest of risk that I'd finish Fireheart and have to wait to get to Ravenshade -- or for that matter even wait the few minutes for it to download!!!

Best bet is to figure out a way to disappear from about the 2/3 mark of Fireheat until a day or two after you finish Ravensahde -- You'll need those extra couple of days to recover since Ravenshade will leave you exhausted!!!

Oh and don't forget to eat -- sleep will likely be out of the question but you'll still need to eat.  Stock up on some one handed, no prep meals!!  :P

Never Engage in a Battle of Wits With an Unarmed Person.

I don't suffer from Insanity -- I rather enjoy it!

Offline Winter9

• Norway
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 12:06:29 pm »
    I will make sure to remember thanks! Looking forward to it!

I didn't know they were so combined into one. Sort of pictured them as a series. I haven't bought Fire-Heart yet, but I will do soon. I just didn't have money when I bought Elfhunter. Bought Ravenshade when it was for sale. I always "waste" $2 extra because I live in Norway, but hey, I can get Kindlebooks, I'm happy!

And Archer!!! What an AWESOME CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archer,what is it you most like about Gorgon?
    I'm wondering if he will continue to hunt them or if they somehow will find another way. I think the ring he has got now is really dangerous! I'm afraid for Gaelen that she will get blamed if something should happen and I fear fro the others too!

Reading now:
    C.S.Marks - Elfhunter

KBoards.com

• Advertisement