Author Topic: The wisdom of L.M. Montgomery  (Read 1070 times)  

Offline ElHawk

• San Juan Islands, WA
    • View Profile
The wisdom of L.M. Montgomery
« on: August 19, 2015, 09:45:38 am »
I re-read the Anne books recently for the zillionth time, but this time I highlighted all the nice bits of wisdom contained therein. And then I shared them with the world, because we all need to be reminded not to dump liniment into our cakes. I was amused to find lots of great advice that was specific to writers when I re-read the books this time around.

Hope you have fun with it!

Take Off Your Pants and see what everybody is talking about!
Libbie Hawker | Site + Blog | Mailing List | Twitter

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Becca Mills

• Super Moderators-5
    • California
      • View Profile
    Re: The wisdom of L.M. Montgomery
    « Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 09:51:12 am »
    Love this one: "The point of good writing is to know when to stop."

Weirdly, I didn't read the Anne of Green Gables books when I was growing up. But I'm looking forward to reading them with my kids. :)

Welcome! :)
    Read about using the Writers' Cafe here. Our larger "forum decorum" is here. The site's overall terms of use are here. Please be aware of this material.
    Troubleshooting: If you're having difficulties with advertising on KBoards, the contact email is [email protected] You can also use our PM system to contact the site's owners via the vsAdmin account. The Link-Maker and Author Signature Tool long longer function. There's a manual version of the former here and a workaround for the latter here.

Offline amyates

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 10:14:26 am »
    Love Anne! Thanks for gathering and sharing!

A.M. Yates | website | facebook | twitter | tumblr

Offline Indiecognito

• Even I don't know who I am
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 10:32:23 am »
    Love these. When I was a girl I read all the books several times over, and as I grew up I got jaded and cynical. Now when I go back and read those quotes I remember those days, sitting on my bed in my yellow room, wishing I were Anne and had a Gilbert and a Marilla and an island. And I think about how I sort of have all those things now. I suspect that she influenced a lot of those of us who now write by becoming a writer herself.

You've made me want to read them all over again, so thanks for that. :)

Offline MyraScott

• Was great while it lasted.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 11:24:21 am »
    Loved the Anne books. So much wisdom about accepting and celebrating who you are.   Now I want to read them again!
    It's all spider food now
    Send your comments to VerticalScope directly- they aren't reading anything here.
    https://www.verticalscope.com/contact-us/connect-with-us.html

Offline 80593

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 11:27:48 am »
    Aw, thanks for this. Anne Shirley is still my favorite and my best.

Offline NoBlackHats

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 12:32:17 pm »
    Loved them, until I ran into the end of the series, that had some racial prejudice included.  Makes sense for the time period, but jarring for a modern person.

Offline kathrynoh

• Melbourne, Australia
      • View Profile
      • Kathryn O'Halloran
    « Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 01:33:16 pm »
    It's amazing reading the books as an adult and realising how dark they are in places. In the middle of quite light and happy storyline, she'll throw in these bits of "gossip" about spouse or child abuse as though it's nothing much. Even Anne's back story is pretty gruesome. I'm not sure if that was purposeful, as her way of getting her opinion across without making the books too dark or if it was just so prevalent in the day that no one gave it much thought.

Offline ElHawk

• San Juan Islands, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 03:49:00 pm »
    Loved them, until I ran into the end of the series, that had some racial prejudice included.  Makes sense for the time period, but jarring for a modern person.

Yes, definitely! It's always shocking and disappointing to run into that kind of thing in beloved older stories (books/film/whatever.)

Offline ElHawk

• San Juan Islands, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 03:51:05 pm »
    It's amazing reading the books as an adult and realising how dark they are in places. In the middle of quite light and happy storyline, she'll throw in these bits of "gossip" about spouse or child abuse as though it's nothing much. Even Anne's back story is pretty gruesome. I'm not sure if that was purposeful, as her way of getting her opinion across without making the books too dark or if it was just so prevalent in the day that no one gave it much thought.

Maud also struggled terribly with depression and was married to a man whose own depression was more of a burden than she could bear. I think she was very dark on the inside, which is startling to realize if you only read the Anne books, which are mostly very nice. She committed suicide--that's how hard she struggled with her own darkness. :(

Read The Blue Castle. It's one of my favorites of her books (and one of my favorites of any author's books) and you get a whole different Maud from it. I feel that you can really see into her soul with that one, shadows and light and all.

ACNewt

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 04:43:38 pm »
    Oh how I love Anne. Such a huge part of my reading girlhood. I can now truly appreciate the brilliance of LM Montgomery. Thanks for posting this. I bookmarked it so I can go back to these quotes. So great.

Offline Goulburn

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 06:14:04 pm »
    Interesting. I admire L.M. Montgomery's way of using description. While most of us remember that Anne has red hair, the book is a fair way in before Montgomery tells us this important to the plot description. It is revealed when it becomes an important part of the story. This is so much better than reading, A girl with red hair... type of description. Montgomery rocks at descriptive passages.

I'm off to read The Blue Castle, as I've read the earlier Anne books recently and would love to try her other works. Thanks for the recommendation, ElHawk.
    « Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 06:17:05 pm by Ryn Shell »
    I do not consent to the Sept 2018 TOS change that was made without asking my consent or even offering notification.  If VerticalScope republishes content I own I will sue them for breach of copyright.

Offline kathrynoh

• Melbourne, Australia
      • View Profile
      • Kathryn O'Halloran
    « Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 03:13:10 am »
    I've read the Blue Castle. It must've been quite a brave book to write at the time since it did really delve into some social taboos.

Offline Aya Ling

• View Profile
      • www.ayaling.com
    « Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 06:18:08 am »
    I absolutely love L.M. Montgomery, she's my favorite English writer ever since I was 10 : ) Although the period she wrote in is a world of difference from mine, her writing really resonated with me and I've no trouble connecting with her characters. Gorgeous descriptions, vivid dialogue, a good dose of humor...I wish I could write like she does! My lifelong dream is to visit P. E. island one day.

Although I'm a little surprised that no one mentioned the Emily books (Emily of New Moon, Emily Climbs, Emily's Quest), in which the protagonist is a writer. Plus, you can discover bits and pieces of Maud's journals in the Emily books, which gives you a pretty good idea of what Maud felt and went through on her journey to become a professional writer.

Offline lee27

• Southwestern Pennsylvania
      • View Profile
      • Writer's Rest
    « Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 06:38:44 am »
    Wonderful quotes. I've never read L. M. Montgomery -- now I want to. Maybe she was so good at writing about goodness because she knew the dark side so well.

Magical realism for the internet age | Lindsay Edmunds

Offline Goulburn

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 08:43:50 am »
    Maud also struggled terribly with depression and was married to a man whose own depression was more of a burden than she could bear. I think she was very dark on the inside, which is startling to realize if you only read the Anne books, which are mostly very nice. She committed suicide--that's how hard she struggled with her own darkness. :(

Read The Blue Castle. It's one of my favorites of her books (and one of my favorites of any author's books) and you get a whole different Maud from it. I feel that you can really see into her soul with that one, shadows and light and all.

I've just completed reading L.M. Montgomery's The Blue Castle on your recommendation, ElHawk. I loved it. :-). Thank you.
    I do not consent to the Sept 2018 TOS change that was made without asking my consent or even offering notification.  If VerticalScope republishes content I own I will sue them for breach of copyright.

Offline Alleycat

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 09:19:28 am »
    The Blue Castle is one of my favorites as well.

I've read L.M. Montgomery's published journals and that was some dark, depressing stuff!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement