Author Topic: Want free months on your existing Scribd subscription?  (Read 16515 times)  

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
Re: Want free months on your existing Scribd subscription?
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2015, 09:33:04 am »
I am up to 11 now!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Jen200

• OK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: October 03, 2015, 04:25:03 pm »
    Jill thank you for this offer.  Can I be added sometime in the future?  My link is https://www.scribd.com/g/46azrj

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
    • Introverts Unite (Separately)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: October 03, 2015, 07:34:44 pm »
    Jill thank you for this offer.  Can I be added sometime in the future?  My link is https://www.scribd.com/g/46azrj

Absolutely, Jen! Since Andra nearly has a year now, it is still only taking 3-4 weeks to store up a free year, so I should hopefully be able to put up your link in about a month after Elissa gets her turn.

THE FAMILIAR and THE INNOCENT DEAD are Kindle Scout Winners |  Jillnojack.com

Offline Jen200

• OK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: October 04, 2015, 07:23:34 pm »
    Thank you.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: October 05, 2015, 04:52:19 am »
    Jill, I hit a year over the weekend.  Please move on to the next person!

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: October 05, 2015, 07:57:47 am »
    Jill, I hit a year over the weekend.  Please move on to the next person!

Cool. Enjoy!

Ellisa, I've updated my site, so you're up next. Let me know once you have a year under your belt and then it will be Jen's turn.
    « Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 03:52:27 pm by Jill Nojack »

Offline EllisaBarr

• View Profile
      • Ellisa Barr
    « Reply #31 on: October 05, 2015, 08:21:06 am »
    Thanks so much!  I'll keep an eye on how it goes and report back.

No One Is Powerless

Offline EllisaBarr

• View Profile
      • Ellisa Barr
    « Reply #32 on: October 20, 2015, 02:34:57 pm »
    So far so good!  I'm just about there.

One thing I wanted to note to anyone that takes Jill up on her generous offer, is Scribd changed their audiobook plan recently.  Now, instead of getting unlimited audiobooks, you get 1 credit each month, which amounts to 1 free audiobook.  After that you have to pay $9 for each audiobook.  With the referral system you get the free month which includes the 1 credit.  However, Scribd has (annoyingly) capped the number of credits you can stockpile at 6.  So if you like audiobooks, I suggest you choose a few to spend your credits on as you get them so you don't miss out on them.  You can see them under your account tab.

I'll post again in a few days when I reach the goal.  :)

No One Is Powerless

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: October 20, 2015, 05:57:49 pm »
    I'm finding the credits thing confusing, but I'm going to start using them so I don't lose them.

And oddly I'm still picking up free months - I just went to check my credit balance and my free months balance updated and is up to 20. I don't even know how?!  I did at some point tweet about the free month thing but that was long ago. I posted on FB too, but again, long ago. But hey - I'll take them! 
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, 2nd & 1st gen Oasis, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini for PDFs

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: October 21, 2015, 04:24:20 pm »
    I'm finding the credits thing confusing, but I'm going to start using them so I don't lose them.

And oddly I'm still picking up free months - I just went to check my credit balance and my free months balance updated and is up to 20. I don't even know how?!  I did at some point tweet about the free month thing but that was long ago. I posted on FB too, but again, long ago. But hey - I'll take them! 

I believe that what some people do is save the code and then just keep signing up over and over again with different email addresses. There are places on the web that tell people to do that. You could be seeing that effect.

It makes me sad to think that Scribd will probably be out of business before I use up my three free years. But being too generous with free trials / free incentive months is probably *why* they will be out of business, I reckon.

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: October 22, 2015, 08:11:06 am »
    Ah, I suspect you're right on both points. I did the free trial almost two years ago, let that lapse, then I got a free 3-month subscription to beta test their app for the Kindle Fire, then last December they had a half-price offer if you signed up for an entire year so I paid $50, I believe, for a one-year subscription. Great for me, but not the best business model. And now I'm good for almost two more years.

Makes me sad as well - wonder how Oyster is faring?  I'd always hoped for a Netflix-for-books type service, and I always recommend Scribd over Oyster or Kindle Unlimited, but a lot of Kindle owners aren't interested in anything other than KU because they don't want to read on a phone or tablet. Luckily that doesn't bother me, and I especially like using my little 6" Fire for Scribd books.
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, 2nd & 1st gen Oasis, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini for PDFs

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: October 22, 2015, 02:02:56 pm »
    Ah, I suspect you're right on both points. I did the free trial almost two years ago, let that lapse, then I got a free 3-month subscription to beta test their app for the Kindle Fire, then last December they had a half-price offer if you signed up for an entire year so I paid $50, I believe, for a one-year subscription. Great for me, but not the best business model. And now I'm good for almost two more years.

Makes me sad as well - wonder how Oyster is faring?  I'd always hoped for a Netflix-for-books type service, and I always recommend Scribd over Oyster or Kindle Unlimited, but a lot of Kindle owners aren't interested in anything other than KU because they don't want to read on a phone or tablet. Luckily that doesn't bother me, and I especially like using my little 6" Fire for Scribd books.

Oyster is gone. Google hired most of their staff and paid the investors a settlement to be able to do that. So, basically, Google bought Oyster and then shut it down.

I like KU, but it doesn't have the range of books I like to read, so it's a second place contender for me (although I currently do have a subscription - of course, at a time when I just lost most of my reading time). I read a lot of nonfiction, but the beefy kind that is published by trad publishers and experts in the field. KU just can't match that.

I have the base level Kindle, and I way prefer reading on my 7" Fire HD. I have been tempted by the Kobo Aura H2O, though. But nah, I'll just keep sticking my Fire in a freezer bag in the bath. Works just as well :-)

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: October 23, 2015, 07:14:10 pm »
    Wow, I (obviously) hadn't heard that about Oyster. Maybe those users will migrate to Scribd and give it a bit of a boost. I had a free Oyster subscription and did read a few books on there. I'll have to read up on that whole thing. I agree - Scribd has the major publishers on board which is what makes it much more attractive to me than KU.
    em

Offline EllisaBarr

• View Profile
      • Ellisa Barr
    « Reply #38 on: October 26, 2015, 07:12:09 am »
    Right after I posted I had a few dry days in a row but I got a couple signups this weekend so I'm ready to pass the torch. Thanks so much for sharing your link visibility and free months!!

No One Is Powerless

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: October 26, 2015, 08:44:00 am »
    Right after I posted I had a few dry days in a row but I got a couple signups this weekend so I'm ready to pass the torch. Thanks so much for sharing your link visibility and free months!!

You're welcome, Elissa. If Scribd is still around in a year, please come back for more :-)

Jen, you're up next. I updated the link and it should be active on the site in a few minutes after the cache preload completes.

I think you are the last person who has asked for a turn at getting the free months, so if anyone else is interested, there should be a slot opening up in 4-6 weeks again.

Offline Jen200

• OK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: October 28, 2015, 03:43:45 pm »
    Thanks for adding me.  I have received 3 months free in the last 2 days. 

Offline Jen200

• OK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: November 06, 2015, 07:15:47 am »
    I am up to 12 months now if you have someone else on the list.  Thank you so much for this offer.

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: November 08, 2015, 06:03:22 am »
    Thanks for adding me.  I have received 3 months free in the last 2 days. 

I think you are the last one on the list, Jen. So, right now, the option is completely open for someone else to request this.

One thing I would note - if someone who doesn't have a Scribd subscription but has wanted to check it out happens on this thread, you can use one of the two month free trial links that are listed here. IMPORTANT: to be able to earn free months with a link, you have to sign up with a credit card when you use the free trial. If you sign up with paypal you won't a link available to share to earn free months.

I do not know if they are still letting new people who are signing up earn free months. But if they are, then you can post your free trial link for me and keep the subscription going for free.

If they are no longer giving new people signing up the ability to earn free months, then you still have a free trial for two months and have lost nothing!

Offline Jen200

• OK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: November 22, 2015, 08:56:08 am »
    Just to keep you up to date, I am paid up thru Mar 2019.

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: November 22, 2015, 03:00:10 pm »
    Just to keep you up to date, I am paid up thru Mar 2019.

Jen, I think I will move that back onto someone else's link. Thanks for letting me know (I am, too).

But seriously, no one else wants free Scribd for the next year or so?

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: November 23, 2015, 06:25:59 am »
    If there are no other takers I'll gladly take a few more months, mostly for the audiobook credits. 😉 But hopefully someone else will jump on the train!  I do think a lot more readers here on Kboards would use Scribd if they could use it on an eInk reader, but just don't like reading on a backlit screen.
    « Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 06:31:30 am by Meemo »
    em

Offline EllisaBarr

• View Profile
      • Ellisa Barr
    « Reply #46 on: November 23, 2015, 07:51:03 am »
    I'm in the same boat as Meemo. I'd love some link time for the audiobook credits if/when you don't have anyone else. I wish we could save them up!  I just used two credits for The False Prince series and another for We Have Always Lived in the Castle. Fantastic books!!  Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to listen to them. :)

No One Is Powerless

Offline Jen200

• OK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: November 23, 2015, 07:58:55 am »
    I have used the credits for the Agatha Raisin, Hannah Swensen, and have started on the Amelia Peabody series in audiobooks.  Hopefully Scribd will stick around and  I will get to listen to them all.

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: November 23, 2015, 01:32:03 pm »
    Okay, I will put Meemo back for a month or so first, and then Elissa. I will try to remember to get to that tonight (I was actually going to do it last night)

Sigh. I have both a Scribd and KU subscription, and I have now lost all my reading time. Well, at least the Scribd one if free FOREVER :-)

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: November 24, 2015, 07:05:37 am »
    Great, thanks!  Ellisa I was looking at the info on the Accounts page and it now says you can "accumulate up to 18 credits". I don't remember if that's what it always said, but there's a long list of audiobooks in my Scribd library that I'd like to read. Lee Child, Tess Gerritsen, Jodi Picoult, series and standalones. Will see if I can accumulate some more credits. Right now my daughter and I are both listening to Ready Player One and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Thanks again, Jill - hope you can get your reading time back on track - I know I need my reading time!
    « Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 07:08:11 am by Meemo »
    em

KBoards.com

• Advertisement