Author Topic: Why aren't KindleWorlds books in KU?  (Read 838 times)  

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
  • Author, Parks Commissioner
    • View Profile
Why aren't KindleWorlds books in KU?
« on: August 28, 2015, 11:35:41 am »
I have a Veronica Mars novella in the KindleWorlds program and I was surprised not to see it available in KU. It is, after all, already exclusive to Kindle.

I emailed KDP and got this response:

I apologize, but Kindle Unlimited program is only for books published on Kindle Direct Publishing directly. This feature is not available for books published on our Kindle Worlds platform.

However, I do consider it would be a great to have this feature available for Kindle Worlds authors, so the books can gain more visibility and popularity. For this reason, I've contacted and shared this information with our Developers team as we plan further improvements.

Kindle Worlds wouldn't exist without authors, and this feedback serves an important role in helping us to improve our platform and provide a better service.

It was nice to get a human's response. I think it makes a lot of sense. If you're already exclusive, why not?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Gessert Books

• Madison, WI
    • Book Layout and Formatting by Phillip Gessert
      • View Profile
      • Gessert Books: Book Layout and Formatting
    Re: Why aren't KindleWorlds books in KU?
    « Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 02:37:16 pm »
    I imagine they had to secure some kind of deal with rights holders, and those rights holders wouldn't like to have their properties available in unofficial works on the borrowing platform. I bet that when securing the rights, they had to do it in an especially narrow way, limiting it to Kindle Worlds only.
    « Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 02:49:50 pm by phillipgessert »

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 03:35:25 pm »
    Phillip, I'm guessing you're right. It's probably an issue of timing (as in, they secured the rights for KindleWords before they had launched KU). I bet they will try to push for it in re-negotiations of therms if they can. KU and KindleWorlds seem like a natural fit. A fan of a certain world might join KU in order to read the many many books in that world.

Offline 75814

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 04:07:53 pm »
    Yeah, it's all about licensing. Although does seem weird Amazon hasn't secured those rights yet. Hopefully they will because that's a no-brainer.

Oh KW. So much potential that's not being properly utilized.

Offline Scottish Lass

• Scotland, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 04:19:23 pm »
    Oh KW. So much potential that's not being properly utilized.

Yep, like not selling outside of the US, and not allowing non-US authors to participate  :'(

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 04:23:34 pm »
    KDP and KW are two different entities within Amazon, with two different executives and two different agendas. Neither wants the other to succeed, I'm told by an insider. If you write a KW book, you can't even claim it on your Author Central home page and have it show up on your author page. For example, Steven Konkoly recently wrote a work in Russel Blake's "Jet" Kindle World, but you won't find it on his author page because the leaders of KDP and KW don't want to help each other. You can only go to KW to find KW books, or search for the world and see what pops up. IMO this has inhibited KW from being more popular, and has kept many authors from bothering to write in KW -- because it's not very useful as a discovery tool.

KW is also hard to find anything on. For example, as far as I can tell I can't even click on "Jet" and see all works written for "Jet" or any other Kindle World. I have it that KDP has blocked KW's attempts to improve its usability at every turn, because within the Amazon ecosystem, they are rivals.

Offline 75814

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 04:26:20 pm »
    KDP and KW are two different entities within Amazon, with two different executives and two different agendas. Neither wants the other to succeed, I'm told by an insider. If you write a KW book, you can't even claim it on your Author Central home page and have it show up on your author page. For example, Steven Konkoly recently wrote a work in Russel Blake's "Jet" Kindle World, but you won't find it on his author page because the leaders of KDP and KW don't want to help each other. You can only go to KW to find KW books, or search for the world and see what pops up. IMO this has inhibited KW from being more popular, and has kept many authors from bothering to write in KW -- because it's not very useful as a discovery tool.

KW is also hard to find anything on. For example, as far as I can tell I can't even click on "Jet" and see all works written for "Jet" or any other Kindle World. I have it that KDP has blocked KW's attempts to improve its usability at every turn, because within the Amazon ecosystem, they are rivals.

So KW and KDP are run by the cast of Mean Girls basically? So petty.

Offline J.A. Cipriano

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 06:07:45 pm »

My jet kindle worlds novel is claimed by me just fine

J.A. Cipriano | Blog | Facebook

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 07:34:15 pm »
    Yes, like JA Cipriano above, my KW book showed up just fine in Author Central and on my Amazon author page.

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 09:49:42 am »
    My jet kindle worlds novel is claimed by me just fine

Very interesting. They must have updated that. My source declined to put a series into KW partly because of this issue. That makes KW more attractive.
    « Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 11:39:45 am by David VanDyke »

Offline Carol Davis

• New York
      • View Profile
      • Carol Davis Author
    « Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 10:15:27 am »
    If you write a KW book, you can't even claim it on your Author Central home page and have it show up on your author page.

I have 9 KW titles, and had no trouble getting any of them linked to my Author Central page.

They definitely don't make it easy to investigate the KW offerings.  But here are the books in the "Jet" world:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=lp_6118587011_nr_p_lbr_fan_fiction_un_14?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A133140011%2Cn%3A%21133141011%2Cn%3A6118587011%2Cp_lbr_fan_fiction_universes_browse-bin%3AJET&bbn=6118587011&ie=UTF8&qid=1440868435&rnid=2656894011

KBoards.com

• Advertisement