Author Topic: Kindle Unlimited Data (Borrows, Sales, KENPs) By Konrath  (Read 1010 times)  

Offline Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
    • View Profile
Kindle Unlimited Data (Borrows, Sales, KENPs) By Konrath
« on: September 18, 2015, 05:27:34 pm »
There's a good chance you read Konrath's blog. It's filled with great, actionable tips. But with so much material coming from the indie rock stars (Konrath, Blake, Howey, etc.), some content inevitably gets missed. It falls through the cracks.

You may have missed this post from Konrath:

http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/2015/08/konrath-kindle-unlimited-numbers.html

He discusses sales-related data for two of his pieces - one is a short story and the other is a novel - for June and July 2015. He focuses on Kindle Unlimited 2.0's effect on his earnings.

If you have a huge catalog of work and have been watching your numbers on KU 1.0 and KU 2.0, this stuff will be old hat to you. But if you're like me - you're just getting started and seeking ways to smooth the learning curve - you'll probably find Konrath's post insightful.

I certainly did.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    Re: Kindle Unlimited Data (Borrows, Sales, KENPs) By Konrath
    « Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 06:04:52 pm »
    Interesting article, but I'm not sure he's right about shorts versus novels.

Last month I ran promos on both a first in series short and a novel.  They were both contemporary romance.

For the first in series short, I offered it free.  Gave away 4,000 copies.  Had 26 sales at $2.99 and 3,600 pages read.
    For the rest of that series I had another 32 sales, mostly of the collection, and 32,000 pages read.

For the novel I had 28 sales at $3.99 and 20,000 pages read.

So, for me, the series of shorts was more profitable.  Similar wordcounts.  Series took me a fourth of the time to write.  Obviously, promo can have a big impact and one was with a heavier hitter than the other, but still.  There is money to be made with shorts in KU 2 if you're giving readers something they want to read.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Offline suliabryon

• Pacific Northwest
    • The only rule is...do what works for you.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 06:06:50 pm »
    Cassie, how short are you talking, words-wise? And you said a series? How many?

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 06:13:35 pm »
    Cassie, how short are you talking, words-wise? And you said a series? How many?
    Anywhere from 5K-9K depending on the title.  And I'm going to punt on listing the number in the series since I'm on the borderline of giving away my pen names with what I've posted recently. (May have already.)

Offline suliabryon

• Pacific Northwest
    • The only rule is...do what works for you.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 06:15:37 pm »
    No problem! I was just curious what length. I'm trying to wrap my mind around the different lengths people are doing (and selling). Thanks. :)

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 06:28:11 pm »
    I'm of the philosophy that any length can work, it's just a matter of how tightly you focus the story for the length involved and whether the story is something people want.  I have some 5K shorts that are not romance and do not sell and if I ran a free promo on them would most definitely not get 4,000 downloads.  And I will also say that that first in series has always sold well even when there was no indication it was going to be part of a series because it's the one I wrote that ticks the most genre boxes.

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 06:38:53 pm »
    I think everyone should write however they want. I don't think any two writers want to achieve the exact same thing. From a purely pragmatic approach, though, I think it's easier to build a sustainable catalog with novels. I think you can easily do both, but the novel crowd is bigger than the short crowd (at least right now). Everyone tried to convince me to go shorter during KU1 because of the flat fee. I declined because I wanted a catalog that could last for years. I'm not saying shorts can't survive for years. I do believe it's harder, though. By sticking to my guns I think I've managed to build two sustainable catalogs that will keep selling for years. I managed to get the top KU bonus for the second month in a row and I finally got my pen name on the list (the bottom reward) for the first time. That was always you goal. I think shorts can sell. I also think it's easier to sell novels, so that's what I focus on.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 07:02:32 pm »
    Amanda - agreed that novels have a wider audience and sell better.  I was just arguing against the assertion that KU2 is going to kill the profitability of shorter titles.

The one novel I have out is my second-best earning title and it was relatively easy to get those sales, so my experience says novels do sell better.  But on a pay per hour of writing basis, a lot of my shorter stuff beats the novel.  Problem is, putting out enough short stuff to equal a novel is a challenge in and of itself.

If someone can write 80K words a month in any length they choose, then I'd say write a novel a month.  But if they find themselves drawn to writing shorter titles, then I'd hate to see them try to force themselves to novel length thinking that's the only thing that can sell.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement