Author Topic: What Type Of Music Do You Listen To While Writing?  (Read 9760 times)  

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
    • View Profile
Re: What Type Of Music Do You Listen To While Writing?
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2015, 12:57:03 pm »
I actually watch television. I went through old Beverly Hills 90210 seasons last week and I'm doing Party of Five this week. This allows me to pack them as I finish because I won't get around to watching those two series again until after I move.

Amanda M. Lee

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Maria Romana

• NC, USA
    • ...should be working on WIP...
      • View Profile
      • Research Triangle Publications
    « Reply #26 on: September 12, 2015, 01:15:19 pm »
    I actually watch television. I went through old Beverly Hills 90210 seasons last week and I'm doing Party of Five this week. This allows me to pack them as I finish because I won't get around to watching those two series again until after I move.

Wow, I can't believe you can watch TV shows while you write. I was going to chime in and say I can't listen to music -- even without vocals -- because it's too distracting. I'm in the silence or white noise group (I have an 8-hour-long oscillating fan MP3 that I adore :) ). Anything else just pulls me out of my little fantasy world. You must have incredible concentration, Amanda.

Joliedupre

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2015, 01:18:39 pm »
    It looks like I'm in the minority here... I listen to EDM on Spotify while I write. Most of the time the fast beat helps me to write faster, which I suppose is as good a reason as any. I enjoy the music normally and because there's not always a ton of meaningful words, I don't get distracted as easily.

EDM?  Cool. I can work with that for certain things that I write.  :)

Offline Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: September 12, 2015, 01:22:29 pm »
    I went through old Beverly Hills 90210 seasons last week...

That would have been a catastrophe for me. I had a crush on Kelly back in the day.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline JRHolmes

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: September 12, 2015, 01:26:07 pm »
    Wow, I can't believe you can watch TV shows while you write. I was going to chime in and say I can't listen to music -- even without vocals -- because it's too distracting. I'm in the silence or white noise group (I have an 8-hour-long oscillating fan MP3 that I adore :) ). Anything else just pulls me out of my little fantasy world. You must have incredible concentration, Amanda.

Well, we are talking about Amanda here. She is very productive; the incredible concentration is a given.

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: September 12, 2015, 01:32:38 pm »
    I think it comes from writing in a newsroom for so long. It was always loud and you learn to tune things out. I got used to the television being so it's just what feels natural to me.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline JRHolmes

• View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: September 12, 2015, 01:38:02 pm »
    I think it comes from writing in a newsroom for so long. It was always loud and you learn to tune things out. I got used to the television being so it's just what feels natural to me.

Newsrooms are like coffee shops with a continuous murmur of voices and random sounds and both can provide a sort of white noise that helps some people concentrate. There are even noise generating programs or web sites that will simulate that sort of noise (http://www.coffitivity.com).

Doesn't work especially well for me, but it doesn't have to.

Offline Bishoppess

• View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: September 12, 2015, 01:43:33 pm »
    Right now I have a mix of Flogging Molly/Halestorm/In This Moment and a variety of other Hard Rock and Metal bands in one big playlist. I add to it as I find music that fits the mood of my story. Rasputina, Lecrae, The Wailing Jennies. It's a big pile of randomness.

Offline Maria Romana

• NC, USA
    • ...should be working on WIP...
      • View Profile
      • Research Triangle Publications
    « Reply #33 on: September 12, 2015, 01:49:16 pm »
    Newsrooms are like coffee shops with a continuous murmur of voices and random sounds and both can provide a sort of white noise that helps some people concentrate. There are even noise generating programs or web sites that will simulate that sort of noise (http://www.coffitivity.com).

Well now, that actually makes sense. I do work well in public places like coffee shops, malls, and parks. If the newsroom chatter and TV sounds just became background noise to your ears, then I see how that could work. 90210, however, would totally distract me. I used to watch that show religiously back in the day. It has a delightfully soap operatic quality about it that would just reel me in...

rachelmarquez

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2015, 01:53:32 pm »
    I've tried listening to music, but it distracts me. I've found that listening to voices (even if via the television in the background) helps me with rough-drafts, but when I'm really getting down to the final stages, I need silence as I often read what I've written aloud.

Offline Sam Winterwood

• Sydney, Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: September 12, 2015, 01:54:47 pm »
    I listen to rain sounds on YouTube.
    It's essentially white noise and blocks out anything else. Helps me focus a fair bit.

Offline xandy3

• K Crumley
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: September 12, 2015, 02:44:40 pm »

Back when I was still married to my ex, I used to write while watching soap operas, and shows like Murder She Wrote and Matlock. I came up with some interesting femme fatale type characters back then.  LOL :D

Offline Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: September 12, 2015, 03:45:46 pm »
    Here's something you might find useful if you enjoy classical...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkcvrxj0eLY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkcvrxj0eLY</a>

It's Beethoven's Fur Elise, played over and over for an hour. The repetition of the piece allows it to sink into the background.

I'm sitting at a coffee shop with my laptop, pounding away to it. The words are flowing!

YMMV
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline Caddy

• Novels For Adults Who Color Outside the Lines
      • View Profile
      • Caddy Rowland: Slice of Life
    « Reply #38 on: September 12, 2015, 04:47:41 pm »
    None with lyrics. Lyrics take me out of my writing trance. Usually nothing, sometimes classical. When I paint I listen to punk, other rock, blues and always full blast.
    ALSO WRITING HOT GAY M/M ROMANCE UNDER SIBLEY JACKSON

The Gastien Series: Sometimes the "impossible" is possiblebut the cost can be extremely high. | There Was a House:They better be damn good. There will only be one chance. | The Avengement Series: Karma really can be a b*tchespecially when it scores a willing partner.

Offline Eric S. Kim

• Southern California
    • Keep Writer's Block in the Friend Zone
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: September 12, 2015, 04:55:40 pm »
    YA Horror = J.S. Bach, Mozart's Requiem, John Tavener, Heavy Metal, Techno

Erotica = Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Felix Mendelssohn, Alexander Glazunov, Tchaikovsky, Mily Balakirev, Anton Bruckner, Jean Sibelius, Richard Strauss, Ralph Vaughan Williams, Gustav Holst, Edward Elgar, Manuel De Falla, Claude Debussy, Aram Khachaturian, and many more

Science Fiction/Fantasy = Debussy, Vaughan Williams, Holst, Ottorino Respighi, Alan Hovhaness, Wagner's Ring Cycle, Wagner's Parsifal

Offline Holland d'Haas

• View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: September 12, 2015, 06:46:49 pm »
    I have a couple rock/pop/alternative songs for each series. I generally choose one at a time and loop it in the background until it's not relevant to what I'm writing anymore. Lyrics don't bother me, but then again, you tend to not be distracted by lyrics once you've listened to them a few hundreds times on loop.

Offline abgwriter

• Florida, USA.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: September 12, 2015, 07:09:16 pm »
    For me is a little weird. I normally can't do with vocals at all, so I always go for instrumentals when I write. Also, I like real dramatic music (no Blue Danube for this girl, I'm afraid), so I normally just play Pandora and look for a station that plays soundtracks from Fantasy or Adventure movies. My favorite is How to Train your Dragon, which I play on repeat, going through the soundtrack of the two movies again and again (love the stuff!) but I also do with a lot of Lord of The Rings, Harry Potter and Pirates of the Caribbean.

Arel B. Grant | Cover Design | Newsletter

Offline Robert Dahlen

• Acme Labs
    • Thank you, Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Monkey Queen Books
    « Reply #42 on: September 12, 2015, 08:32:42 pm »
    I love, love, love British Invasion music, but it tends to cause extreme chair dancing and I accomplish nothing.
    I suspect that a lot of writers have the same issue. I don't, which is good news for anyone who's ever seen me dance. :D

For me is a little weird. I normally can't do with vocals at all, so I always go for instrumentals when I write. Also, I like real dramatic music (no Blue Danube for this girl, I'm afraid), so I normally just play Pandora and look for a station that plays soundtracks from Fantasy or Adventure movies. My favorite is How to Train your Dragon, which I play on repeat, going through the soundtrack of the two movies again and again (love the stuff!) but I also do with a lot of Lord of The Rings, Harry Potter and Pirates of the Caribbean.
    I should try that sometime! Thanks!
    Fantasy novelist, all-around wisecracker and penguin aficionado. Need some fantasy adventure with heroines, humor and heart, and a touch of romance? Skyblade's Gambit and Book Fair Frenzy available exclusively at Amazon! Get all the Monkey Queen e-books at Amazon and other ebook retailers! Find previews, cover art, short stories and much more at the blog or the website!
    Robert Dahlen | Blog | Website | Amazon Central | Willow the cover artist! | Avatar by Calomiel!

Offline hunterone

• View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: September 12, 2015, 08:33:56 pm »
    Depends what i am writing. Rock, sometimes taylor swift lol

Offline 77071

• View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: September 12, 2015, 08:36:52 pm »
    I try to stay offline while I'm writing, and fairly quiet.  Being outside where it's quiet and the air is fresh is pretty inspiring for me, when I can manage it.

Usually I don't listen to music.  Occasionally I do, and it's usually Bruce Springsteen on YouTube.   ;D  This is generally if things are a bit intense or I have a song stuck in my head.

This looks like an amazing thing, but I haven't gotten into the habit of using it.  I love the sounds of trains... http://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/railroadNoiseGenerator.php

Offline geronl

• TX
    • Mirrors are scary to me, lol
      • View Profile
      • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
    « Reply #45 on: September 13, 2015, 02:40:44 am »

The Youtube thing didn't work for me when I tried to post a video, how rude. lol. hm

Floyd Looney

Offline Paul_Stephenson

• York, United Kingdom
    • Author - Horror - Sci-fi - Music
      • View Profile
      • Paul Stephenson Books
    « Reply #46 on: September 13, 2015, 02:49:29 am »
    I always listen to music while writing. I tend to go for instrumental post rock or post-metal/grind/hardcore where the vocals are so far away from decipherable as to not trip me up. If neither tickles my fancy I can find jazz pretty good to write to.

Paul Stephenson | Website

Offline Marilyn Peake

• View Profile
      • Marilyn Peake: Author Website
    « Reply #47 on: September 13, 2015, 05:47:08 am »
    I listen to music without words that matches the mood and setting of what I'm writing. When I wrote sections of my children's books that I set under the ocean, I listened to a lot of New Age music, including CDs with dolphin sounds. Lately I listen to music from computer games. My hat's off to Amanda. I can't imagine writing while watching TV shows. :o Holy camole! I'd never be able to concentrate. Weird thing, though, is that I sleep with the news on. I got used to it and can't sleep unless it's on, although I set the sound very low until it's almost like white noise.

Marilyn Peake | Website | Newsletter | Facebook | Twitter | BookBub | Wattpad

Offline Holland d'Haas

• View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: September 13, 2015, 05:55:15 am »
    This looks like an amazing thing, but I haven't gotten into the habit of using it.  I love the sounds of trains... http://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/railroadNoiseGenerator.php

This is amazing. I love that you can calibrate it, too. It's super soothing to listen to.
    But I'd probably fall asleep before I got any words written with this in the background haha.

Offline Reaper

• Glasgow, Scotland
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: September 13, 2015, 06:02:41 am »
    I like energetic music like Iron Maiden, Motorhead and Dropkick Murphys. Sometimes I'll listen to soundtracks, like Dredd or music from Final Fantasy 7 and 8.
    « Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 06:08:12 am by Steven McKinnon »
    [Insert cool book covers here because I have not granted permission to VerticalScope's stealth change of the Terms of Service]

KBoards.com

• Advertisement