Author Topic: What Type Of Music Do You Listen To While Writing?  (Read 9753 times)  

Online Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
    • View Profile
What Type Of Music Do You Listen To While Writing?
« on: September 12, 2015, 08:38:04 am »
Some enjoy silence. Others like ambient noise. Still others prefer music. Different strokes for different folks.

I'm in the latter camp. And I've tried everything - baroque, electronica, film scores, trailer music (e.g. Two Steps From Hell, Audiomachine, etc.), horn-based jazz (think Coltrane) and flamenco guitar.

This morning, I stumbled upon something that perfectly suits my writing temperament: the soundtrack for the original SimCity. It's subtle and doesn't call attention to itself, unlike many film scores. It's great for maintaining focus.

Here's the link if you'd like to give it a try...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GCoc893Vt8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GCoc893Vt8</a>

I realize everyone's different. So what type of music do you enjoy listening to while wearing out the keys on your keyboard?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 12:26:37 pm by Anarchist »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Nic

• View Profile
    Re: What Type Of Music Do You Listen To While Writing?
    « Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 08:52:46 am »
    It depends on the book. They have playlists. But in general I avoid vocals and prefer purely instrumental music. Jazz, classic music, soundtracks.

Offline Robert Dahlen

• Acme Labs
    • Thank you, Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Monkey Queen Books
    « Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 09:06:06 am »
    I'm a classic rock/British Invasion/New Wave guy, but I also have a special playlist that I listen to sometimes when I want to write. Lots of recent obscure (and not so) indie rock, some classics, some classical, some soundtrack, some Celtic and, thanks to Shei Darksbane, a good chunk of Lindsey Stirling. :D

I use specific tunes to set the mood for some scenes too. In the next Monkey Queen book, I used "Telecommunication" by A Flock Of Seagulls, "Stand And Deliver" by Adam and the Ants, "Mandlebrot Set" by Jonathan Coulton, and John Williams' Jurassic Park music. And in the current secret project, the big fight scene near the end is apparently inspired by..."Pressure" by Billy Joel. No, I have no idea how that happened either. :o
    Fantasy novelist, all-around wisecracker and penguin aficionado. Need some fantasy adventure with heroines, humor and heart, and a touch of romance? Skyblade's Gambit and Book Fair Frenzy available exclusively at Amazon! Get all the Monkey Queen e-books at Amazon and other ebook retailers! Find previews, cover art, short stories and much more at the blog or the website!
    Robert Dahlen | Blog | Website | Amazon Central | Willow the cover artist! | Avatar by Calomiel!

Offline Chance

• United States
    • The only law - the law of averages.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 09:33:25 am »
    I usually listen to any type of music outside of country, but if I was writing I'd prefer to listen to anything soft rock or anything low-key and soothing. Louder, more 'bashful' music (Pop or Dance or the like) distracts me enough to not be as productive in working on my manuscripts.

I also keep a lookout for soundtracks of favorite games (Elder Scrolls Skyrim's a pretty good choice), favorite shows, or the like. Usually the soundtracks that are lyric-less so that I can hear the 'music' and not the words.

It does depend on preference. I do prefer silence at times as well, but that comes during editing or reading over draft/outline.

Offline LadyG

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 09:56:22 am »
    I like to listen to Josh Groban if I'm going to listen to anything while I write, but I usually prefer silence. Otherwise, I have a tendency to get distracted and start singing along. And if there's a really good song on, I just might have to get up and dance . . . and believe me, nobody wants that to happen.

Offline Janeal Falor

• YA Fantasy
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 10:08:41 am »
    I like classical music all the way.

Offline North Star Plotting

• Minneapolis, MN
      • View Profile
      • North Star Plotting
    « Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 10:15:49 am »
    Lester Young, Red Garland, Bill Evans, Wes Montgomery and so on :)

Offline PermaStudent

• Be so good they can't ignore you. --Steve Martin
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 10:17:50 am »
    World of Warcraft soundtrack does it for me. 

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I write urban fantasy.  There are girls in gowns and glowy hands on my covers.

Offline Jos Van Brussel

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 10:32:10 am »
    I like rain sounds when I write. I blocks out everything else and really creates a writing bubble. I find music distracts me because it puts me in a certain mood, which tends to take me out of my story. www.rainymood.com

Joliedupre

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 10:47:50 am »
    I've been listening to a lot of Lana Del Rey as I write my vampire stuff.   Dark, sinful, sexy.  :)

Offline elalond

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 10:48:57 am »
    I usually prefer soundtracks, with The Last of the Mohicans, Troy, Bleach 3 and Advent Children being my favorite ones, but with my current WIP I'm listening a lot to Florence and the Machine.

Offline going going gone

• don't tread on me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 11:18:46 am »
    Silence for me, but I also like white noise, like fans or car engines purring along the open road.
    Love of money is the root of all evil.

Offline jessie520

• Buffalo, New York
      • View Profile
      • Author Website
    « Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 11:25:48 am »
    It depends on what story I'm working on. Usually I compile a playlist of music that fits the characters and plot or mood. I tend to work better while listening to something rather than complete silence.

Offline Kallie

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 12:06:55 pm »
    If I'm working I'm listening to The Avett Brothers.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNkDNy0bDfM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNkDNy0bDfM</a>

or Pierce The Veil

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN-dRCGh-ME" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN-dRCGh-ME</a>

Offline Kallie

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: September 12, 2015, 12:11:36 pm »
    I'm a classic rock/British Invasion/New Wave guy, but I also have a special playlist that I listen to sometimes when I want to write. Lots of recent obscure (and not so) indie rock, some classics, some classical, some soundtrack, some Celtic and, thanks to Shei Darksbane, a good chunk of Lindsey Stirling. :D

I use specific tunes to set the mood for some scenes too. In the next Monkey Queen book, I used "Telecommunication" by A Flock Of Seagulls, "Stand And Deliver" by Adam and the Ants, "Mandlebrot Set" by Jonathan Coulton, and John Williams' Jurassic Park music. And in the current secret project, the big fight scene near the end is apparently inspired by..."Pressure" by Billy Joel. No, I have no idea how that happened either. :o

I love, love, love British Invasion music, but it tends to cause extreme chair dancing and I accomplish nothing.

Offline geronl

• TX
    • Mirrors are scary to me, lol
      • View Profile
      • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
    « Reply #15 on: September 12, 2015, 12:18:34 pm »
    I would find it too distracting.

But if it did it would be classic stuff like....

1812 overture  :P
    Flight of a Bumblebee or maybe a Valkyrie

maybe some Kpop

Come Back Home
    #Invalid YouTube Link#

or something a little epic (except for the words)

Final Countdown
    #Invalid YouTube Link#

Floyd Looney

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
    • Storyteller and Cat Minion
      • View Profile
      • Ineti Press
    « Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 12:24:21 pm »
    I realize everyone's different. So what type of music do you enjoy listening to while wearing out the keys on your keyboard?

Almost always I have soundtracks and scores in a playlist genre-specific to whatever I'm writing. If I'm writing Westerns, I've got the western playlist going with Ennio Morricone and scores from various movies, TV shows, video games. Ditto space opera, mysteries, sword and sorcery, fantasy, etc. Soundtracks and scores are my crack.

Very rarely I'll go with lyrical music; Enya, Loreena McKennitt, some Peter Gabriel. Exception is some urban fantasy, and then I'll unleash the rap god in me.

Online Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: September 12, 2015, 12:31:54 pm »
    Soundtracks and scores are my crack.

You and me both. I've been on a Fellowship of the Rings kick lately.

... and then I'll unleash the rap god in me.

Jim, you must have razor-sharp focus. I can't even drive to rap lest I wrap my car around a tree. :)
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline LittleFox

• Co. Kerry, Ireland
    • English expat, UF author.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: September 12, 2015, 12:34:21 pm »
    It depends on the book and the plot point. It ranges from pop, to rock, country, D&B, hardcore, and so on and so forth. I'm pretty eclectic. Sometimes when I'm writing more slowly and trying to figure something out I'll use noise generators, I adore these:

https://mynoise.net/noiseMachines.php

The quality is outstanding and there's a good range, so I can pick and choose depending on my mood.  I've been known to put on t.v. shows, movies, or the radio in the background too. :)

Offline Anna Drake

• View Profile
      • Anna Drake
    « Reply #19 on: September 12, 2015, 12:37:47 pm »
    Another classical fan here.

Anna Drake | Website | Twitter | Amazon | Facebook

Offline Gone 9/21/18

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: September 12, 2015, 12:39:10 pm »
    Sound of Silence for me.
    I did not and will not consent to VerticalScope's TOS.

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
    • Storyteller and Cat Minion
      • View Profile
      • Ineti Press
    « Reply #21 on: September 12, 2015, 12:39:53 pm »
    Jim, you must have razor-sharp focus. I can't even drive to rap lest I wrap my car around a tree. :)

I hear ya! My right foot somehow gets heavier when I listen to rap music. Must be the bass.

Offline xandy3

• K Crumley
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: September 12, 2015, 12:44:07 pm »
    I write exclusively fantasy now, so I prefer Celtic music while writing...or anything that helps me escape to the realm that I am writing about.  Occasionally, I include music by Stevie Nicks, Lorena McKennit, Led Zeppelin, Kansas, Rush, Florence and the Machine, Mariah Carey, Enya, and a few others; That is, if the lyrics and/or melody suit the storyline.

Also, it all depends on what I'm working on at the time.  I have a playlist on Spotify for every series that I'm working on.  A song from Live inspired some of the short stories that I wrote about merfolk, which later evolved into the Corithian Saga WIP.  Therefore, it's included in my playlist for that series. ;) 

Offline JRHolmes

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: September 12, 2015, 12:45:45 pm »
    Soundtracks, scores and classical are what I prefer as well. And I'll use something like that as the seed for some random music on Spotify or Apple's Radio music.

What doesn't work for me is anything with lyrics, a chorus used as an instrument is fine, but if I am presented with recognizable words, it just pulls me out of my own writing.

Offline OEGaudio

• NorCal
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: September 12, 2015, 12:50:38 pm »
    It looks like I'm in the minority here... I listen to EDM on Spotify while I write. Most of the time the fast beat helps me to write faster, which I suppose is as good a reason as any. I enjoy the music normally and because there's not always a ton of meaningful words, I don't get distracted as easily.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement