Author Topic: Favorite Female Mystery/Thriller/Suspense Writers  (Read 21423 times)  

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Female Mystery/Thriller/Suspense Writers
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2018, 07:07:41 pm »
Thanks Ann. I see its at my library, so I'll put it on the waitlist there. I see there are 8 so far in series. I don't count shorts and in betweeners. That is what goodreads tells me.  ;D

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #101 on: September 24, 2018, 03:15:19 am »
    Yeah, so far the 3 I've read have been full length. I do see there are a couple shortish ones AFTER book 4 (which is currently on hold). I believe it was originally titled "the Shetland Quartet" . . . but it looks like she went on after 4, so . . . . .
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline padowd

• View Profile
    « Reply #102 on: September 25, 2018, 12:11:18 pm »
    I love anything by Karin Slaughter and also the Southern Sisters Mystery series by Anne George. She was from Birmingham Al and died in 2001. Her books are so funny. If you have not read them you have to give them a try. I am from the South so I love southern writers.

Offline Fogeydc

• View Profile
    « Reply #103 on: September 25, 2018, 04:36:04 pm »
    I have some Birmingham family roots so went there regularly growing up. My cousin & I had wonderful fun reading the Southern Sisters and knowing some of the local references. Vulcan was on the way up to grandpa's house from downtown.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #104 on: September 26, 2018, 07:45:35 am »
    Another example is the Bones TV series which was based on Kathy Reich's books, but I actually like the TV series better. I read the first bunch of the books and just didn't much like the characters as portrayed in them.

Beyond the scope of this thread, as it's not by a female writer, but I just finished a book by someone who was a writer for the Bones series.  Really enjoyed it.  Complex gripping novel that I read straight through. (See the what are you reading thread.)
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #105 on: September 26, 2018, 12:30:01 pm »
    Maybe we need to expand the thread to just mystery writers. I don't think there is another one for mystery and I don't know if we have enough readers to keep 2 different ones going.  8)

I had actually forgotten it says female in the title after all this time. I guess it just happens that the ones I been reading have been by females. Or so I assume, who knows anymore.  ;D

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #106 on: September 30, 2018, 11:58:02 am »

I just finished this one . . . . it's a mystery, kind of uniquely told. As it starts you're reading from "Mary's" point of view and pretty quickly you realize it's the daughter of Dr. Jekyll of Jekyll and Hyde fame. Then all the sudden there's these other voices sort of lipping in to the narrative -- so it's like they're all sitting around and either reading together or listenng in as someone reads the manuscript. Much of this first book is introducing the various characters which are all drawn from well known 18th century popular literature -- think Frankenstein, the Island of Doctor Moreau, Sherlock Holmes.  It all works, I thought, and I expect the second volume (so far only 2 books in the series) to be a little more about the mystery since we know the characters now.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #107 on: October 29, 2018, 11:30:38 am »
    I thought we had spoken of this author, but I don't find it anywhere in the thread (maybe in the deleted posts ...), but Elly Griffiths writes a mystery/thriller series following the forensic archaeologist, Ruth Galloway. My mother got hooked on this series when she found the first couple on sale, and subsequently hooked me!  Anyway, prices for the later books in this series tend towards the very high end of prices, but the entire series is on sale today with each book being either $1.99 or $2.99.  I finally completed the series on my Kindle which I had avoided because the last few were 9.99 - 11.99.

Here's the first one if you want to check the series out.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #108 on: October 29, 2018, 03:30:39 pm »
    We probably talked about it in January of 2012 -- 'cause that's when I bought it! :P

My TBR queue never seems to get any shorter -- immortality, here I come! :o
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Tyler Cook

• View Profile
    « Reply #109 on: January 24, 2019, 08:30:47 am »
    Chelsea Cain is a wonderful author with tons of the blood and gore that we love to read about.  Next to Ms. Cain, I would probably recommend J.K. Rowling's Coroman Strike series. 
    www.tylermcook.com

Offline OwenTis

• View Profile
    « Reply #110 on: January 26, 2019, 03:29:34 am »
    Would you suggest Chelsea Cain to someone who's just getting into the genre, Tyler? Having in mind I'm fine with blood and gore.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #111 on: January 27, 2019, 05:37:52 am »
    Shout out to Atunah!

THANK YOU for recommending the Sebastian St. Cyr series. I just finished #9 (Hero just had the baby) and am really REALLY enjoying it. The mysteries are complex, the history is accurate, and the romance is on point without being over the top. Kinda perfect, really. :) AND they're all available via my local libraries. Anyone who's following this thread and hasn't checked 'em out definitely should. Here's the first:

<cross posting to the historical mystery thread>
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #112 on: January 27, 2019, 07:04:11 am »
    Yay, glad you loved them. Still my favorite historical mystery series of all time. I am pretty sure it was Ellenoc that may have mentioned them first at some point. I know its her favorite too. But I can't recall exactly now what made me first start them. I assume it was her rec on Kboards. But you know how memory goes.  ;D

I am savoring the last few so I don't get finished too fast. Cause what the heck am I going to do. I am one ahead of you. I read up to #10. There are only 3 more out now and #14 is going to be out in April. I have a feeling I'll read the 3 by then and then jump on the last one. Then I'll go in a corner and sob. Hopefully I'll have some more Ashley Gardner by then. Another HM I really enjoy. Captain Lacey is just a wee bit more ornery than Sebastian.  ;D

But yeah, I haven't found another series that is that intricate and layered like St. Cyr. Its like the perfect series for everything I love about historical mystery.

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #113 on: January 27, 2019, 04:33:05 pm »
    Shout out to Atunah!

THANK YOU for recommending the Sebastian St. Cyr series.

bummer - my library doesn't seem to have them  >:(
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #114 on: January 27, 2019, 05:46:19 pm »
    Shout out to Atunah!

THANK YOU for recommending the Sebastian St. Cyr series. I just finished #9 (Hero just had the baby) and am really REALLY enjoying it. The mysteries are complex, the history is accurate, and the romance is on point without being over the top. Kinda perfect, really. :) AND they're all available via my local libraries. Anyone who's following this thread and hasn't checked 'em out definitely should. Here's the first:

<cross posting to the historical mystery thread>

I've had Book 1 in my Kindle library for a while (since 2014), but haven't ever started it because of the pricing.  They aren't available at my library either and they've yet to add any of my recommendations.  Guess I'll bring What Angels Fear to the top of the MOI and go from there.  Such good enablers you all are!

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #115 on: January 27, 2019, 09:56:53 pm »
    "MOI" ???

I've had Book 1 in my Kindle library for a while (since 2014), but haven't ever started it because of the pricing.  They aren't available at my library either and they've yet to add any of my recommendations.  Guess I'll bring What Angels Fear to the top of the MOI and go from there.  Such good enablers you all are!
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #116 on: January 28, 2019, 06:11:23 am »
    "MOI" ???

Mountain of Immortality - I can't croak before I read all the books in my pile, and since it never gets smaller ...  ;D 

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #117 on: January 28, 2019, 06:27:37 am »

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #118 on: January 28, 2019, 07:36:33 am »
    Mountain of Immortality - I can't croak before I read all the books in my pile, and since it never gets smaller ...  ;D 

Indeed. A lot of us are right there with you! :D
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #119 on: January 28, 2019, 03:58:50 pm »
    Indeed. A lot of us are right there with you! :D

I can imagine all of us posting here in 50 years, with MOI undiminished in any way, occasionally discovering we had bought a book discussed in this thread back in 2010...  :) The MOI concept is no joke. When I was a child I was almost killed in a skating accident - my last conscious thought was "now I will never find out how that book ends"  ;D Of course, I survived to read another day, and now I know why.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #120 on: February 03, 2019, 06:15:04 am »
    I feel like no one has mentioned Louise Penny lately. ;) For my money, she's the best mystery writer on the planet right now. I just finished her latest in the "Armand Gamache" series, Kingdom of the Blind.

Yes, I pre-ordered it, got it on release day, paid FULL PRICE, and have saved it, looking forward to it for a few months. Started it 3 days ago and managed to make it last that long -- it was hard to resist simply devouring it in one go, but I wanted to savor it and make it last a bit. Now a bit sad that I have finished, but it was brilliant as usual.

WARNING! If you've not read the series, start with number one: Still Life

The plots are good mysteries but also very much character driven. If you jump in the middle you'll feel like you are an outsider eavesdropping on private conversations. (On GR someone who gave it only 1 or 2 stars complained that there was too much dialog -- but also admitted it's the first of the books she's read.) But, if you've started at the beginning, and have a clue about their lives, relationships, backstories and experiences together, you'll know everyone and see them as old friends; you'll feel like you're sitting there WITH them in the bistro, or the Gamache's living room. HIGHLY recommend the series -- every book is a 5 star read.

So far: she's not finished. :D The next one should be announced within a few months.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #121 on: February 03, 2019, 07:25:01 am »
    I watched the Movie "still life". As I read in reviews its not exactly like the book so I might still be able to enjoy it. I can do book first and then movie or tv, but in general not the other way around. If that makes any sense.

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #122 on: February 03, 2019, 08:59:41 am »
    My library has Still Life in audiobook format - so I put a hold.
    Carol in 'burque

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #123 on: February 05, 2019, 05:47:14 am »
    From upthread - I added What Angels Fear to my Wishlist and it's on sale for $1.99.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #124 on: March 09, 2019, 02:24:24 pm »
    Book #13 in the Genevieve Lenard series is up for pre-order and will be released on Tuesday!   8)  I have thoroughly enjoyed every single book in this series, and I think Estelle Ryan has moved to the top of my favorite female mystery writers of all time.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement