Author Topic: Favorite Female Mystery/Thriller/Suspense Writers  (Read 21421 times)  

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Female Mystery/Thriller/Suspense Writers
« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2019, 04:38:37 pm »
Book #13 in the Genevieve Lenard series is up for pre-order and will be released on Tuesday!   8)  I have thoroughly enjoyed every single book in this series, and I think Estelle Ryan has moved to the top of my favorite female mystery writers of all time.

I second this -- I pre-ordered it even though I probably won't get to it straight away. But they're so reasonably priced I'd just rather have it now. :)
My Kindles
Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #126 on: March 09, 2019, 04:57:47 pm »

I second this -- I pre-ordered it even though I probably won't get to it straight away. But they're so reasonably priced I'd just rather have it now. :)

I imagine I'll move it right to the top of the MOI on Tuesday.  Then I can spend the next year whining about waiting for another ...   ;D ::)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #127 on: March 09, 2019, 05:09:41 pm »
    I am not caught up with this series. Like so many series. I own 2 already though I need to read next. Don't know the number, I think its 7 and 8. Whoever recommended this one first, thank you. Its a great series and I find it unique in its setting and characters.

I started with a "reading next" collection on my kindle. Then I had a "up next" in addition, now I have a "read next 2018" and a "read next 2019". That is how much my series reading is out of control. I need more time to read.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #128 on: March 12, 2019, 09:30:19 am »
    I knew the Estelle Ryan was coming, but for some reason I didn't pre-order it.  You guys beat the email that I got from Estelle's mailing list announcing its arrival.  I am running back through the "In Death" series, but as soon as I finish the current one, I am curling up for a visit with Genevieve and Company.  I can't wait!!

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #129 on: March 17, 2019, 01:04:53 pm »

I just finished this one . . . . it's a mystery, kind of uniquely told. As it starts you're reading from "Mary's" point of view and pretty quickly you realize it's the daughter of Dr. Jekyll of Jekyll and Hyde fame. Then all the sudden there's these other voices sort of lipping in to the narrative -- so it's like they're all sitting around and either reading together or listenng in as someone reads the manuscript. Much of this first book is introducing the various characters which are all drawn from well known 18th century popular literature -- think Frankenstein, the Island of Doctor Moreau, Sherlock Holmes.  It all works, I thought, and I expect the second volume (so far only 2 books in the series) to be a little more about the mystery since we know the characters now.

Very belated "thank you" for recommendation! (So horribly behind with my TBR list.) I very much loved the book and even more the sequel. Intelligent writing, kind treatment of readers (no unnecessary cruelty or torture) and the friendship of main characters as the main "trope". Lots of food, too - the comfort factor  :) The sequel is where all the exciting stuff is happening!

Offline "Serious" ... but not really

• View Profile
    « Reply #130 on: March 17, 2019, 05:23:47 pm »

I would have to vote for Meyer. Wow. Then Suzanne Collins. Thriller and suspense I guess.  There was suspense and I was thrilled with the reads  :D

The Mystery is why these guys don't write more ... a real shame. 

Meyer's "The Chemist" I hear is a little flat and off her game, so I will pass on that. I do have the excerpt. I tried it once and said no. But she is writing!.  So maybe she goes back to what works. It may seem childish to her, and true the subjects were strange but they were fantastic!  She needs to keep it up.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #131 on: March 17, 2019, 06:16:01 pm »
    Very belated "thank you" for recommendation! (So horribly behind with my TBR list.) I very much loved the book and even more the sequel. Intelligent writing, kind treatment of readers (no unnecessary cruelty or torture) and the friendship of main characters as the main "trope". Lots of food, too - the comfort factor  :) The sequel is where all the exciting stuff is happening!

I think I liked the sequel even better also ... looking forward to number 3. :)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #132 on: March 26, 2019, 06:46:56 am »
    I finally got around to a legal thriller I downloaded in 2011 and am steadily working my way through the now 11-book series.  The first is apparently permafree and I give this series a strong recommend! 

Female attorney named Sasha McCandless, set in Pittsburgh.  She is a Krav Maga martial arts expert to physically protect her not-quite-5-foot self.  There is a minor romance subplot as she develops a relationship with an FBI/Homeland Security air marshall.  More thriller than mystery as you mostly know who the bad guys are from the start and strong writing on legal background.  I'm very pleased the start of this series made it to the top of my MOI.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #133 on: March 26, 2019, 08:19:38 am »
    High praise indeed. I just got the first as its free like you said. Just so hard to find the good stuff out there right now. So thankful anytime you guys find a gem. Cause that cover looks a wee bit home made so I probably would have scrolled right on by if I had seen it in the store.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #134 on: March 26, 2019, 09:43:56 am »
    High praise indeed. I just got the first as its free like you said. Just so hard to find the good stuff out there right now. So thankful anytime you guys find a gem. Cause that cover looks a wee bit home made so I probably would have scrolled right on by if I had seen it in the store.

I'd say if you like legal thrillers, don't wait as long as I did to start the series.  ;D ::)

She seems to be a pretty prolific writer.  I had read the start of a cozy series she has some time ago and just thought "meh" and didn't continue.  After liking this meatier writing by her, I have also downloaded this first-in-series permafree from her with a Buddhist retired forensic pathologist.  Forensic pathology/anthropology might be my favorite mystery/thriller subset genre.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #135 on: March 26, 2019, 02:48:10 pm »
    Looking forward to reading it. I am always looking for those kind of reads. Once I get through the 2 HR's from the library, I'll get to that and also the Estelle Ryan series. I need to catch up on that one too.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #136 on: March 26, 2019, 03:03:04 pm »
    Thanks for the recs, crebel.

Looks like I got the Sasha McCandless one back in 2011! :o :o :o  I guess I'll move it nearer the top of the Mountain of Immortality.

Hadn't heard about other one, but have now picked up that first one. Sigh!

eta: well ... on Amazon I had it in a "read" collection ... but on GR it still shows as 'want to read'. :-\ Synopsis doesn't sound familiar, so I don't think I have read it. I'll know when I start! :o ;D
    « Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 03:06:50 pm by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #137 on: March 27, 2019, 07:00:45 am »
    Well, it seems like I got Irreparable Harm in 2012! Who knew.
    And I d'l'd Dark Path to try as well.
    Sounds like 2 good ones to start on.
    Thanks, crebel.
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #138 on: March 27, 2019, 09:37:40 am »
    Well, it seems like I got Irreparable Harm in 2012! Who knew.

Looks like I got the Sasha McCandless one back in 2011! :o :o :o  I guess I'll move it nearer the top of the Mountain of Immortality.

I finally got around to a legal thriller I downloaded in 2011 and am steadily working my way through the now 11-book series.

Ha!  I wonder if we checked posts in Dec 2011/Jan 2012 if we would find it listed in the free books thread or if the author was a participating member at the time.  FYI - there was an update listed in MYCD when I transferred it to my newest Kindle. 

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

Offline LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #139 on: March 27, 2019, 09:45:21 am »
    You may not be familiar with them but should be. Alphabetically, Mark Nolan, Scott Pratt and Ben Rehder. Oops, sorry, didn't register on female. I'm blaming it on pneumonia, definitely not recommended btw. Well, they're the wrong chromosome but I'm leaving them because they are really excellent.
    « Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 09:47:52 am by LDB »
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #140 on: March 29, 2019, 05:55:41 am »
    I got Irreparable Harm on 9/13/12.  I don't think I've read it either.  But I'm moving it up based on your recommendation!
    Thanks.  It's the end of the month and my book money has run out so I am rereading until I get my next allowance.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #141 on: March 30, 2019, 09:39:35 am »
    I just started Irreparable Harm and I just wanted to read a few pages to get a feel. I came to when I hit 20% cause it reads as such a page turner. I had to pee and refill my tea. ;D

Really liking how this reads. For lack of a better word. Its like watching a good thriller/legal movie on TV where you just have to finish it.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #142 on: April 10, 2019, 04:09:18 am »
    Just finished the latest Genevieve Lenard:

Love the characters -- it's like a reunion with a bunch of old friends -- albeit ones who are all pretty brilliant and dedicated to putting despicable baddies away. And Genevieve continues to grow and use her autism to its advantage -- as hard as that sometimes is for her.

Moving on to the latest in another favorite series:

This one takes a bit more effort to read because of the Finnish names -- many of which are spelled similarly. But the stories are always good.

I'd had both of these for a while but had a bunch of library holds all come up at the same time so they ended up a bit further down the queue. Plus I had some reading for a couple classes I'm taking ....
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #143 on: April 10, 2019, 05:22:38 am »
    Just finished the latest Genevieve Lenard:

Love the characters -- it's like a reunion with a bunch of old friends -- albeit ones who are all pretty brilliant and dedicated to putting despicable baddies away. And Genevieve continues to grow and use her autism to its advantage -- as hard as that sometimes is for her.

Moving on to the latest in another favorite series:

This one takes a bit more effort to read because of the Finnish names -- many of which are spelled similarly. But the stories are always good.

I'd had both of these for a while but had a bunch of library holds all come up at the same time so they ended up a bit further down the queue. Plus I had some reading for a couple classes I'm taking ....

Thanks for the new recommend, Ann, I have never heard of this author.  I see the series is also in KU for those that have it.  Currently the first and newest books are at $1.99 and everything in-between are only .99 and I picked up book #1.  Do you have any idea if those are the standard prices or bargain prices right now?

I have moved on to book #7 of the Sasha McCandless series (Irrefutable Evidence) and still enjoying them.   In Book #5 (Improper Influence), the forensic pathologist who is the protagonist of her other series that starts with Dark Path, Bohdi King, is introduced and a major character, so it makes sense to read this series first, I think.

When I read Book #5 (Irrevocable Trust), I was confused about a returning bad guy and a pretty menacing situation which apparently occurred between Books 4 and 5.  I discovered there is a 4.5 novella that is not listed on the series page.  I did not go back and read the novella (not very well reviewed), but it does explain the leap between 4 and 5.  There are also some bundles available which would have saved me a little money if I had realized before I got this far into the series.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #144 on: April 10, 2019, 05:34:09 am »
    Thanks for the new recommend, Ann, I have never heard of this author.  I see the series is also in KU for those that have it.  Currently the first and newest books are at $1.99 and everything in-between are only .99 and I picked up book #1.  Do you have any idea if those are the standard prices or bargain prices right now?

You mean the Leena Lehtolainen books? They're never very expensive -- on par with the Estelle Ryan series. They're by a Finnish author and I think an Amazon imprint for the English translation. They're a little more gritty, and it takes a bit more to really "like" the main investigative character, but I have enjoyed them. I've paid between $0.00 and $5.99 for them and find them worth it. A couple are missing from my 'content' list -- probably I borrowed them when I was briefly in KU or via KOLL.

I have moved on to book #7 of the Sasha McCandless series (Irrefutable Evidence) and still enjoying them.   In Book #5 (Improper Influence), the forensic pathologist who is the protagonist of her other series that starts with Dark Path, Bohdi King, is introduced and a major character, so it makes sense to read this series first, I think.

When I read Book #5 (Irrevocable Trust), I was confused about a returning bad guy and a pretty menacing situation which apparently occurred between Books 4 and 5.  I discovered there is a 4.5 novella that is not listed on the series page.  I did not go back and read the novella (not very well reviewed), but it does explain the leap between 4 and 5.  There are also some bundles available which would have saved me a little money if I had realized before I got this far into the series.

I can see I'll have to move this whole series nearer the front of the queue. :)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #145 on: April 10, 2019, 05:47:29 am »
    You mean the Leena Lehtolainen books? They're never very expensive -- on par with the Estelle Ryan series. They're by a Finnish author and I think an Amazon imprint for the English translation. They're a little more gritty, and it takes a bit more to really "like" the main investigative character, but I have enjoyed them. I've paid between $0.00 and $5.99 for them and find them worth it. A couple are missing from my 'content' list -- probably I borrowed them when I was briefly in KU or via KOLL.

Yes, that is the series I was asking about.  My pre-pot-of-tea brain/fingers couldn't retain and type Lehtolainen.  :P 

You say they are never very expensive but you've paid up to $5.99 for a title.  I was trying to point out that right now Books #1, 10, and 11 are only $1.99 and books 2-9 are only .99, so folks can get the entire 11-book series for under $14 if they are so inclined or not KU subscribers.  I almost always love your recommendations, so I'm tempted to go ahead and get them all before reading book 1.  MOI, you know ...  ;D

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #146 on: April 10, 2019, 05:55:41 am »
    Yes, that is the series I was asking about.  My pre-pot-of-tea brain/fingers couldn't retain and type Lehtolainen.  :P 

You say they are never very expensive but you've paid up to $5.99 for a title.  I was trying to point out that right now Books #1, 10, and 11 are only $1.99 and books 2-9 are only .99, so folks can get the entire 11-book series for under $14 if they are so inclined or not KU subscribers.  I almost always love your recommendations, so I'm tempted to go ahead and get them all before reading book 1.  MOI, you know ...  ;D

Yes .... I was just noting that if you didn't want to risk buying them all, you'd find them not too expensive when you get around to them. My perspective is they're easily as good as many of the $10, $12, $14 books available from 'big name' publishers and they don't cost near that. But, you're right -- you could get all 11 for the price of one 'big name' publisher title! And, especially, if you tend to be a binge reader that would totally work! ;D
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #147 on: April 10, 2019, 08:49:56 am »
    Yes .... I was just noting that if you didn't want to risk buying them all, you'd find them not too expensive when you get around to them. My perspective is they're easily as good as many of the $10, $12, $14 books available from 'big name' publishers and they don't cost near that. But, you're right -- you could get all 11 for the price of one 'big name' publisher title! And, especially, if you tend to be a binge reader that would totally work! ;D
    I  have a feeling that works quite well for crebel.  :P

I finished the first in the Melissa Miller series and I really liked it. Now that I know there are bundles, I can go save money going forward. Unlike crebel.  :P
    Gonna check out that Lehtolainen series. Getting more reading done yesterday and today as its just do darn hot outside.

96 degrees today. I mean, come on. Its not even Easter yet.  >:(

Offline xandy3

• K Crumley
      • View Profile
    « Reply #148 on: April 26, 2019, 08:22:31 am »
    Agatha Christie and MC Beaton.

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #149 on: April 26, 2019, 11:28:17 am »
    My latest obsession are Mrs. Bradley mysteries by Gladys Mitchell, which I devour in no particular order.
    I have read a few of those several years ago and did not like them at all - actually, I found it difficult to read and follow both the plot and individual sentences. Apparently, something has shifted in my mind and now I really enjoy their dry humor and peculiar cleverness. (There is also a TV series based on a few of them, with Diana Rigg as Mrs Bradley!)

(Sorry if this series was mentioned before in this threat, it's quite a long one.)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement