Author Topic: Favorite Female Mystery/Thriller/Suspense Writers  (Read 21413 times)  

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
    • View Profile
    • Nina Huffney on Blogger
Re: Favorite Female Mystery/Thriller/Suspense Writers
« Reply #150 on: April 29, 2019, 01:00:47 pm »
I'm a lightweight compared to many readers, here. Some of my favorites...
  • Agatha Christie
  • Elizabeth Peters - Amelia Peabody series
  • Charlotte MacLeod - Sarah Kelling series
  • J.D. Robb - In Death series (I've only read the first eight or so)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #151 on: April 29, 2019, 07:53:06 pm »
    Nina, you reminded me I need to read another JD Robb. I love that series, but its been a while now since I read the last one. I am far from done with the series, can't recall now what number I am on.

I'll have to look into Charlotte MacLeod, I don't think I heard of that one yet.

Online LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #152 on: April 29, 2019, 08:38:47 pm »
    My best half has every Charlotte MacLeod and if I'm not mistaken she's the one who writes under a second name I can't recall at the moment. She has every one of those as well.
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #153 on: April 29, 2019, 10:17:07 pm »
    I had to look it up at goodreads, but she also wrote as Alisa Craig. I see most of the ones under the charlotte name are at my library, so I might give one of the series a shot. Probably the Kettering one. The other name ones are a bit high still for older books and not in my library.

Offline Nina Huffney

• USA
      • View Profile
      • Nina Huffney on Blogger
    « Reply #154 on: April 29, 2019, 11:23:42 pm »
    Atunah, if you want to try Charlotte MacLeod, the first Sarah Kelling book is The Family Vault (1980). My favorites in the series are The Withdrawing Room, The Convivial Codfish, The Plain Old Man, The Silver Ghost, and The Gladstone Bag. They have high cozy and humor quotients. I haven't read her standalones or Alisa Craig works.

As for JD Robb, I am hopelessly behind. I think there's been another thirty (?) books since the last one I read.  :o
    « Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 11:25:19 pm by Nina Huffney »

Online LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #155 on: April 30, 2019, 02:27:52 am »
    Yes! Alisa Craig. She has all of those also. She reads about 10 books a month.
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #156 on: April 30, 2019, 06:22:22 am »
    IIRC, back in the pre-kindle days when I owned and read all the Charlotte MacLeod mysteries in paperback, she was one of the original Grand Dames of mystery writing and the Kelling, etc. books are the precursors of today's cozy genre but a little closer to traditional mysteries albeit with an amateur sleuth.

The Alisa Craig books (I see them on Amazon now listed as Charlotte MacLeod writing as Alisa Craig), were, IMO, more humorous, almost slapstick-type and definitely closer to what her listing on Amazon says are "screwball mysteries".  Like so many of today's cozies, there are pets, gardners, sewing circles, wacky relatives, etc.

I read and enjoyed them all, but MacLeod fans are not always Craig fans (and vice versa, I'm sure).  Really a good example of where you know you're getting a different style of writing under the pseudonym even if the books are the same general category; like Nora Roberts/JD Robb.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #157 on: April 30, 2019, 08:20:12 am »
    Thanks guys. Its always nice to find other series to binge read on. Assuming I will like them of course.

As for JD Robb, I am hopelessly behind. I think there's been another thirty (?) books since the last one I read.  :o
    I have given up trying to catch up so I'll just go at my pace. Last one I read was  #23 "Born in Death".

Offline Fogeydc

• View Profile
    « Reply #158 on: April 30, 2019, 09:45:44 am »
    Re: Charlotte MacLeod -- I enjoyed all of the ones mentioned (years ago, haven't re-visited any lately); have any of you also done her Prof Peter Shandy series? He's a prof at an Ag College. #1 is a Christmas theme w/ a murdered librarian (yes, I looked it up).

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #159 on: April 30, 2019, 11:15:49 am »
    Re: Charlotte MacLeod -- I enjoyed all of the ones mentioned (years ago, haven't re-visited any lately); have any of you also done her Prof Peter Shandy series? He's a prof at an Ag College. #1 is a Christmas theme w/ a murdered librarian (yes, I looked it up).

Professor Peter was her first mystery/cozy mystery series - I think there are around 10 of them.  Followed by Husband & Wife team Sarah and Max books, and some time during the Sarah & Max series she started a 3rd series with another Husband & Wife,  Canadian Mountie Madoc Rhys and his wife Janet.

If you liked the Kelling (Sarah and Max) books, I say you'll enjoy Professor Peter and/or the Rhys books equally well.  Yes, I've read them all!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #160 on: May 20, 2019, 12:49:13 pm »
    So I just finished "Brat Farrar" by Fey. I did give it 4 stars as overall I did like it a lot. But some stuff really bugged me. I got no real sense of time in history. I had to assume set when it was written but then some stuff doesn't make sense in the novel. Before and during the 2nd WW.

I also had issues with the non resolving of too many things at the end. And I still have no clue how the "dun it" was done. There was no explanation. Only an "aha I know now" moment of a character and that was it. I am like, well author, tell me, I wanna know too. I am just the pesky reader here. I can't read a characters mind. So that was quite a let down. With the other threads and characters being dropped off like a stone in the loch.

But it was a page turner and really good till the end I guess.

Beginning took a while to get into with so many names and figuring out which family was and has lived at the estate. Or horsefarm or whatever it was.  :-X

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #161 on: May 20, 2019, 02:04:50 pm »
    So I just finished "Brat Farrar" by Fey. I did give it 4 stars as overall I did like it a lot. But some stuff really bugged me. I got no real sense of time in history. I had to assume set when it was written but then some stuff doesn't make sense in the novel. Before and during the 2nd WW.

I also had issues with the non resolving of too many things at the end. And I still have no clue how the "dun it" was done. There was no explanation. Only an "aha I know now" moment of a character and that was it. I am like, well author, tell me, I wanna know too. I am just the pesky reader here. I can't read a characters mind. So that was quite a let down. With the other threads and characters being dropped off like a stone in the loch.

But it was a page turner and really good till the end I guess.

Beginning took a while to get into with so many names and figuring out which family was and has lived at the estate. Or horsefarm or whatever it was.  :-X

by Josephine Tey (not Fey  :-* ).  I've never really been able to get into her writing, although I've tried 2-3 different ones (and holy moly, new Kindle editions are expensive)! 

She was a unique woman and I think her reclusive life shows up in a quirkiness to her characters that is off-putting to me. She died before I was born, but mystery/suspense that was contemporary when written doesn't usually bother me. 

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #162 on: May 20, 2019, 02:46:43 pm »

by Josephine Tey (not Fey  :-* ).  I've never really been able to get into her writing, although I've tried 2-3 different ones (and holy moly, new Kindle editions are expensive)! 

She was a unique woman and I think her reclusive life shows up in a quirkiness to her characters that is off-putting to me. She died before I was born, but mystery/suspense that was contemporary when written doesn't usually bother me. 

I like some of her books because they are really weird, although "Brat Farrar" is my least favorite. I love her "Singing Sands", despite a bit implausible plot. My second favorite, "To Love and Be Wise", makes very little sense but it's fun to read.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #163 on: May 20, 2019, 03:53:44 pm »
    oops, Tay.  ;D

The weirdness actually appealed to me. Kind of a break in reading with the more modern writings. I liked most o the quirky. It was just that I could not tell when it was suppose to be set, not enough mood setting for me. Or anything to give me an idea. Any comment on a year would have helped. So I assume it was set when written, but I don't know.

And the dropping of storyline and characters was off putting. And not telling me the reader the "how done it". Unless I am just really dense. its why I ran through the rest of the book after that one character had their "ohhh, that is how it was done moment". In their head. But I was never told the how  >:(

So I guess story not the best in that authors books?

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #164 on: May 23, 2019, 04:04:30 am »
    Just discovered a 'new-to-me' author: Tasha Alexander. Turns out I bought her first book 10 (:o) years ago and just got around to reading it -- not sure what triggered that. But: new member of my 'favorite series' list. And it looks like there are a lot more! Also: I seem to already have bought at least 3 later ones as well when they were on sale some years ago. ::)

Here's the first: .

Unfortunately it's currently priced at $11.99, which is a bit high, but it's worth that, I'd say. I REALLY enjoyed it -- lots of twists and turns and you're not really sure until very near the end which, of several choices, are really the bad guys. Fortunately, they are in overdrive, though not in any of my libraries -- I'll cross that bridge when I finish the ones I have.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #165 on: May 23, 2019, 06:46:03 am »
    I love, love, LOVE Tasha Alexander's Lady Emily books.  I think Atunah and I first found them in the Historical Romance thread although they really are historical romantic suspense rather than pure HR.  I'm not sure where, but we've lots of talking about them in one of the threads around here :D

I have them through Book #11, but they rarely go on sale. I am surprised Book #1 is at $11.99 as most drop at least to $9.99 when a new one is out.  I have paid $9.99 for most of them, but still have Books #12 and #13 on a watch list hoping for a sale.  I'm pretty sure Atunah has been able to get them through her one of her libraries.  There are quite a few novellas along the way at $1.99, but I don't usually read shorts.

Ann, I think it's you that says you "savor" the Louise Penny books whenever a new one is released and you spend the high price for them.  That's exactly how I feel about Tasha Alexander/Lady Emily.  They really are that good.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #166 on: May 23, 2019, 08:56:51 am »
    Me too on the Lady Emily books.  The new ones usually hit around my birthday and I have gift cards to cover the high costs.  They do go on sale occasionally, but not very often.  Definitely wishlist them and keep an eye on the price.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #167 on: May 23, 2019, 09:25:35 am »
    I picked up the first lady Emily for under $9 and the next two for under $3. Also have #8 so it must have been on sale as well. I expect it was Atunah who enabled me ... and yes, there's romance but it's a back seat to the mystery/suspense which I prefer. :)

crebel, yes ... I feel that way about Louise Penny. I can see these books becoming similar for me. I feel almost the same about the Sebastian St. Cyr series which Atunah also enabled me to start. :D
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #168 on: May 23, 2019, 09:48:52 am »
    And Only To Deceive is only 99p on Kindle in the UK. Yes, I just bought it. Yet another series for me to start. I really have to stop reading these enabling threads.  :o

Now, Louise Penny. Seems I was enabled to buy the first Inspector Gamache book last year but haven't read it yet. Sebastian ST Cyr? Book 1 is already in my wishlist and being tracked waiting for the price to go down.

Stop it. All of you. Grrr...
    Linda

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #169 on: May 23, 2019, 10:44:43 am »
    I picked up the first lady Emily for under $9 and the next two for under $3. Also have #8 so it must have been on sale as well. I expect it was Atunah who enabled me ... and yes, there's romance but it's a back seat to the mystery/suspense which I prefer. :)

crebel, yes ... I feel that way about Louise Penny. I can see these books becoming similar for me. I feel almost the same about the Sebastian St. Cyr series which Atunah also enabled me to start. :D
    I am just doing the pay it forward.  ;D. Crebel told  me about the Lady Emily and ellenoc talked about the St. Cyr.

Louise Penny is one I still need to read.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #170 on: May 25, 2019, 10:28:25 am »
    https://smile.amazon.com/kr/d30f648c-8b06-49f4-9735-056578c0de2e/ref=s9_acss_bw_cg_KBHPKRU_1a1_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=JYWPMW28T7P3M789YKMX&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=bf55c105-fdc1-4ff1-9dc7-be027ac6527f&pf_rd_i=154606011

I hope that link works (since I already activated mine), but Amazon is running a $5 book credit through Monday (good for 30 days from date of application) when you buy $20 worth of any Kindle books.

I'm posting it in this thread because by buying the Tasha Alexander books #12 & 13 at $9.99 each (I threw in another $2.99 book I intended to buy anyway in case tax didn't count toward the $20), I immediately got the $5 credit.  As far as I'm concerned, that means I got each book for $7.50 and I am good with that bargain for her books.  ;D

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #171 on: May 25, 2019, 12:42:56 pm »
    Thanks crebel.  :-*

I purchased a couple of the Estelle Ryan books and a couple of others I had on a list, got my notice of the $5 and then proceeded to use it on another Estelle Ryan book.  ;D. It took like 2 minutes to buy, receive and use.  :P

Since the $5 has to be used by 30 days, I figured I get to it before I forget and waste it.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #172 on: May 25, 2019, 04:33:50 pm »
    The possibility of going 30 days without spending $5 on books at Amazon and wasting a credit ... does not compute.  Where's that head-holding, hand-slapping, laughing emoji code when I need it?  ;D

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #173 on: May 25, 2019, 06:06:35 pm »

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #174 on: May 25, 2019, 06:22:11 pm »

Yep, these all work!