Author Topic: Favorite Female Mystery/Thriller/Suspense Writers  (Read 21401 times)  

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
Re: Favorite Female Mystery/Thriller/Suspense Writers
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2015, 11:16:12 am »
I agree.  Other Agatha Christie books that had me totally stumped were And Then There Were None and The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (but some people question how "fair" the latter book mentioned is).  Now Sad Cypress was different.  I figured out the "who" and the "why", but darned if I could figure out the "how"]

I never have gotten around to reading Roger Ackroyd.  I am not a Christie fanatic, but do like her, and I ought to finally read this...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 06:20:33 am by The Hooded Claw »
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline passerby

• View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: November 11, 2015, 05:43:53 am »
    Just picked up a copy of J.D. Robb's latest release, Devoted in Death.  It's a little different in that the reader knows right from the start who the murderers are.  The book is more about how Dallas & company go about finding and catching them.  It's quite a bit more graphic than Robb's last few releases, though.  Not sure how much I'm going to like that.

Offline passerby

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: November 15, 2015, 06:18:48 am »
    Just finished reading "Devoted in Death".  I enjoyed it, but I had to skip over some of the more graphic sections of the book.  The murderers in this one are over-the-top creepy and sadistic.

I pulled one of my old favorites, Envious Casca off my shelves and I'm going to use that for my bedtime reading material.  Even though I know how it ends, I always enjoy Georgette Heyer's writing...
    « Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 08:32:44 am by passerby »

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: November 16, 2015, 02:54:26 pm »
    To move back to a Book Corner conversation, I want to mention one of my new favorite female mystery/thriller/suspense writers - Estelle Ryan and her Genevieve Lenard series.  The first book, The Gauguin Connection is apparently a perma-free, and that may be how I found her/it.  I purchased and devoured each subsequent book as soon as they were available and am longingly waiting for more!

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: November 16, 2015, 03:12:34 pm »
    To move back to a Book Corner conversation, I want to mention one of my new favorite female mystery/thriller/suspense writers - Estelle Ryan and her Genevieve Lenard series.  The first book, The Gauguin Connection is apparently a perma-free, and that may be how I found her/it.  I purchased and devoured each subsequent book as soon as they were available and am longingly waiting for more!

Agreed!  I just read the third one and will definitely continue with the series.

I also quite like Linda Fairstein Final Jeopardy (Alex Cooper Book 1) and Louise Penny Still Life: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (A Chief Inspector Gamache Mystery Book 1)
    « Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 03:16:03 pm by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: November 16, 2015, 03:42:47 pm »
    Agreed!  I just read the third one and will definitely continue with the series.

I also quite like Linda Fairstein Final Jeopardy (Alex Cooper Book 1) and Louise Penny Still Life: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (A Chief Inspector Gamache Mystery Book 1)

All 8 of them are really good, no let down in the development of the characters.  Book 5, The Courbet Connection, is in my opinion, "darker" than the other 7 books and as a result was my least favorite, but still a good book.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: November 16, 2015, 03:52:12 pm »
    All 8 of them are really good, no let down in the development of the characters.  Book 5, The Courbet Connection, is in my opinion, "darker" than the other 7 books and as a result was my least favorite, but still a good book.

One of the things I like best -- 'course I'm only 3 books in -- is that, while she learns new ways to cope and how to get close to people, there's no attempt to 'fix' her. . . . she is who she is and that doesn't change. For many the temptation would be to have her more or less suddenly no longer affected by her condition. But, of course, that would ruin the series. :)
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
      • View Profile
      • Bear Mountain Books
    « Reply #32 on: November 16, 2015, 04:04:03 pm »
    Thanks, I picked up a copy.  Books one and two are free right now with book two only free for a short time according to the message on the blurb.

Offline passerby

• View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: November 16, 2015, 05:52:55 pm »

I keep hearing about Louise Penny and the Inspector Gamache series.  I'm going to have to get around to trying one of her books when I get the chance.  (PS - Sorry for going off-track above. I was having a bad day, and I forgot that I was posting in the Book Corner - not the Writer's Cafe.)

Offline Not Here Anymore

• View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: November 16, 2015, 06:13:10 pm »
    Sometimes I enjoy being able to guess who the murderer is, but I also enjoy being thoroughly stumped.  Agatha Christie has stumped me on more than one occasion.  For example, when I read The Murder at the Vicarage, I was absolutely sure that I had the whole thing figured out - and I was totally wrong.  I wasn't just way out in left field; I was completely out of the ball park!
     Great writer, great mystery. 

Vanessa

I had the same thought the other day as I read Christie's Crooked House. I was so sure I had it figured out. I was wrong. I finished it and thought, "Fooled me again." :)

Murder at the Vicarage is one of my favorite Christie books. I love Griselda. And the opening of that book is amazing. Only a few pages in and Christie has introduced so many characters and set up the plot. Very deftly done.

Offline Mark Darrah

• View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: November 27, 2015, 10:49:23 pm »
    I like Jackie King's book.  She has a new one out called "The Corpse and the Geezer Brigade." It's really quite good.

Offline Sarah Chute

• Bellingham, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: December 07, 2015, 02:02:42 pm »
    Agatha Christie, for me... When I read "And Then There Were None," I was instantly hooked into the mystery genre.

Other Christie favorites of mine are "Death on the Nile," "The Mysterious Affair at Styles," "Death in the Clouds," "A Murder is Announced," and "4:50 from Paddington."
    (Draft 1) An Accident in Ackley: 100%
    Now, picking my brain for new ideas...

Offline passerby

• View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: December 07, 2015, 02:35:33 pm »
    I think I've read every mystery Agatha Christie ever wrote.  It's hard to pick a favorite, but I think Sleeping Murder and Nemesis would definitely make my top ten...

Offline benjclark

• Omaha, Nebraska
      • View Profile
      • Benjamin L. Clark
    « Reply #38 on: December 11, 2015, 01:59:05 pm »
    No mention yet of Tana French?  My girlfriend introduced me to her books.  She doesn't read much in the genre, and loved them.  I think I had her on my radar a few years ago and had honestly forgotten to follow up, and this time I read them, and wow!

https://www.librarything.com/author/frenchtana

Offline William Peter Grasso

• View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: April 10, 2017, 06:57:06 am »
    Allow me to suggest Mary Anna Evans, author of the Faye Longchamp series, plus lots more. Terrific voice, engaging stories.

https://www.amazon.com/Mary-Anna-Evans/e/B001JP9ZY2

WPG

William Peter Grasso | Facebook | Author Central | Twitter

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: April 10, 2017, 07:24:44 am »

This is one of my favourite genres and I thought the Gauguin Connection sounded like something I would enjoy, so I went to download it and discovered I already had it! I really must do something about reducing my TBR list, it's getting out of hand.

(First thing I should probably do is stop reading enabling threads like this one.... :o)
    Linda

Offline benjclark

• Omaha, Nebraska
      • View Profile
      • Benjamin L. Clark
    « Reply #41 on: May 09, 2017, 02:37:02 pm »
    A few favorites, each linked to a recent review of a recent book:
    Lyndsay Faye: Loved her Timothy Wilde books, and this most recent take on Jane Eyre. And anything Sherlock-ish she touches. And anything else she may touch.  https://benjaminlclark.com/review-jane-steele-by-lyndsay-faye/
    Laurie R. King: Mary Rusell and Sherlock Holmes, together forever (No, 14 books in the series is not enough) https://benjaminlclark.com/review-the-murder-of-mary-russell-by-laurie-r-king/
    M. Ruth Myers: (Shhh, but I may be in love with Maggie Sullivan). https://benjaminlclark.com/book-review-shamus-in-a-skirt-by-m-ruth-myers/
    M. J. Carter: Her early-Victorian Blake & Avery are fascinating. And Miranda Carter is an honest-to-God Historian, so these are some richly detailed books. https://benjaminlclark.com/book-review-the-devils-feast-by-m-j-carter/

Offline hs

• SF Bay Area
      • View Profile
      • HS Writing
    « Reply #42 on: May 12, 2017, 02:27:42 pm »
    Surprised no one has mentioned Lisa Gardner or Lisa Jackson!

I just discovered Lisa Gardner when I picked up Find Her. Now I'm reading The Other Daughter. Both are great, and Ms. Gardner is quickly becoming one of my favorite thriller writers!

Offline padowd

• View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: May 14, 2017, 03:06:58 pm »
    My favorite is Karin Slaughter. I love her character development in her books. She has the best of any I have read. You get so involved in her characters. Her books are a little more gritty then most but that is what I like the most.

Offline passerby

• View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: May 14, 2017, 04:13:13 pm »
    I just discovered Lisa Gardner when I picked up Find Her. Now I'm reading The Other Daughter. Both are great, and Ms. Gardner is quickly becoming one of my favorite thriller writers!

Agreed. Lisa Gardner is an amazing writer! I love most of her books, but my favorite is Alone, the first book with Bobby Dodge.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: September 26, 2017, 02:43:07 pm »
    I as thinking of where to post my mystery reads that are not cozy. Not that I can really always tell what that is.

Crebel found this thread for me so since its already there.

I got hooked on the Estelle Ryan series because of readers from KB. Gonna blame that one on crebel too.  8)

I also love the Acton and Doyle series. Six out so far, this is the first

It did take me a while to get into the "talking". I can't explain it better, but it was a bit odd at first. Then I couldn't stop reading the series and I read all 6. 6 just came out.
    I think the started at a publisher and now are put out by the author. Not sure I can explain why I like this series. Its different, its weird at times, but for me page turners. Must be read in order or you really get spoiled on some crazy twists and turns.

Now I am on the lookout for more mysteries. And I prefer british stuff, or at least set there for now. Just what I like. Maybe that is the weirdness I can't explain.  ;D

I just read the first in the Inspector Lynley series and it has great potential. I'll have to read a couple more to see where its going.

Good thing is if I like it, there are another 18 or so of it.  8)

Now I'll have to go back through the thread to see if I can pick up some more stuff.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: September 26, 2017, 03:44:55 pm »
    I as thinking of where to post my mystery reads that are not cozy. Not that I can really always tell what that is.

I also love the Acton and Doyle series. Six out so far, this is the first

It did take me a while to get into the "talking". I can't explain it better, but it was a bit odd at first. Then I couldn't stop reading the series and I read all 6. 6 just came out.
    I think the started at a publisher and now are put out by the author. Not sure I can explain why I like this series. Its different, its weird at times, but for me page turners. Must be read in order or you really get spoiled on some crazy twists and turns.

I'm pretty sure I have the first 2 books in this series in my TBR mountain, but I was under the impression it was a historical mystery series.  No?  They are contemporary?  Guess I need to move Murder in Thrall up the never-ending list.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: September 26, 2017, 04:09:59 pm »
    I'm pretty sure I have the first 2 books in this series in my TBR mountain, but I was under the impression it was a historical mystery series.  No?  They are contemporary?  Guess I need to move Murder in Thrall up the never-ending list.

They are not historical no, although one of the main characters does have a title. But they are contemporary. Female MC is irish and male MC is some lordling. There are phrases and words sometimes used that are not what I normally see and I like that. Author does also write some historical stuff, but I haven't read that yet. If you start this series, don't give up right away if you find some of it weird. Maybe I am the only one finding stuff weird? :P

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: September 26, 2017, 04:18:29 pm »
    They are not historical no, although one of the main characters does have a title. But they are contemporary. Female MC is irish and male MC is some lordling. There are phrases and words sometimes used that are not what I normally see and I like that. Author does also write some historical stuff, but I haven't read that yet. If you start this series, don't give up right away if you find some of it weird. Maybe I am the only one finding stuff weird? :P

I'll let you know if I think there is weirdness! ;D

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: September 26, 2017, 04:21:44 pm »
    I'll let you know if I think there is weirdness! ;D
    Oh do let. Probably just me that is weird.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement