Author Topic: Favorite Female Mystery/Thriller/Suspense Writers  (Read 21399 times)  

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Female Mystery/Thriller/Suspense Writers
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2017, 05:37:44 pm »
I'm pretty sure I have the first 2 books in this series in my TBR mountain, but I was under the impression it was a historical mystery series.  No?  They are contemporary?  Guess I need to move Murder in Thrall up the never-ending list.

I just bought this one in January -- must have been on sale . . . . sigh . . . . my queue probably wraps around your mountain twice. :o
My Kindles
Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #51 on: September 26, 2017, 06:08:18 pm »
    I just bought this one in January -- must have been on sale . . . . sigh . . . . my queue probably wraps around your mountain twice. :o
    Ol, mountain tbr. We all suffer from that disease I think. The things I find sometimes in my pile.

Offline AlexLMichaels

• Books and opinions
      • View Profile
      • Alex L. Michaels Romance
    « Reply #52 on: October 03, 2017, 11:38:33 am »
    Some of my favorite contemporary mystery/thriller/suspense writers are Catherine Coulter, Tami Hoag, and Deborah Crombie.
    Favorite classical mystery writers of the Golden Age:  Agatha Christie, Dorothy Sayers, and Georgette Heyer (yes - she wrote mysteries too!)
    Anybody else?

I like Karen Robards thrillers. Also Sandra Brown. Although some might argue that they are more action.  :D
    Alex L. Michaels | Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Pinterest

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: October 03, 2017, 01:07:12 pm »
    Mary Stewart (if not already mentioned) and a bunch of her titles have recently been enkindled: https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,255964.0.html
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline SarahCarter

• London, UK
    • Fantasy and YA author
      • View Profile
      • Sarah Carter
    « Reply #54 on: October 05, 2017, 09:50:04 am »
    I don't know if anyone's mentioned her yet, but I'd like to recommend Louise Penny. I recently discovered her Chief Inspector Gamache series and have read two books so far. They're set in Quebec, and they just have a lovely sort of warm feel to them.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: October 05, 2017, 10:01:12 am »
    I don't know if anyone's mentioned her yet, but I'd like to recommend Louise Penny. I recently discovered her Chief Inspector Gamache series and have read two books so far. They're set in Quebec, and they just have a lovely sort of warm feel to them.

Yes, Louise Penny's Gamache series has been mentioned several times, but it's always good to hear additional readers agree with prior recommendations. I think Ann in Arlington has mentioned this series as one of her favorites, and the first one "A Still Life" is in my tbr pile somewhere.  Guess I need to move it closer to the top!

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #56 on: October 05, 2017, 11:28:29 am »
    Yes, Louise Penny's Gamache series has been mentioned several times, but it's always good to hear additional readers agree with prior recommendations. I think Ann in Arlington has mentioned this series as one of her favorites, and the first one "A Still Life" is in my tbr pile somewhere.  Guess I need to move it closer to the top!

It is absolutely one of my favorites . . . I savor the books . . . so much so that I'm willing to pay full price for a new release but then hoard it until I need something that I know I will be able to relax and enjoy. Plus . . . I'm holding out on the most recent because there isn't another one on the horizon at this time . . . . . when I've read it, I'm done. :( :o I think there will be more coming . . . but at this point I don't KNOW that. ??? :-\ :o
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: October 05, 2017, 03:16:20 pm »
    It is absolutely one of my favorites . . . I savor the books . . . so much so that I'm willing to pay full price for a new release but then hoard it until I need something that I know I will be able to relax and enjoy. Plus . . . I'm holding out on the most recent because there isn't another one on the horizon at this time . . . . . when I've read it, I'm done. :( :o I think there will be more coming . . . but at this point I don't KNOW that. ??? :-\ :o

Seriously you guys. Will you please stop enabling me.  :o   :o

An 11 book (and counting) series? Have pity on me and my vertiginous TBR pile.  :'(

As (re)payment in kind, I recommend K L Slater. She writes psychological crime thrillers - Blink is particularly good.
    Linda

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: October 05, 2017, 05:09:55 pm »

As (re)payment in kind, I recommend K L Slater. She writes psychological crime thrillers - Blink is particularly good.

Does she write a series? Or are they stand alones?

eta: they look like stand alones . . . and very well priced.
    « Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 05:13:37 pm by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #59 on: October 27, 2017, 09:34:57 am »

For anyone trying to add to their Louise Penny Inspector Gamache series, books #8 and #9 are on sale for $2.99.

Offline Tony Richards

• "A master of the art" - Black Static magazine
      • View Profile
      • Tony Richards -- Dark Fantasy Author
    « Reply #60 on: November 09, 2017, 07:28:22 am »
    The best of of all time has to be Patricia Highsmith. Her Ripley series is superb, crimes told from the point of view of the psychopath who is committing them. And what kind of mind comes up with the plot to Strangers on a Train at the tender age of 19? Remarkable.

Offline padowd

• View Profile
    « Reply #61 on: November 09, 2017, 09:03:17 pm »
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned L.J.Sellers. She writes mysteries/thrillers. Her Detective Jackson series is really good. My husband loves her books.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #62 on: November 10, 2017, 09:15:48 am »
    So I am going to plow my way slowly through the Inspector Lynley series by Elizabeth George. Read book 2 and still like it. I am also going to catch up on the Estelle Ryan series. So sticking with a couple. Then I need to find some more I like. I seem to be a bit picky when it comes to mystery series. Where they are set, who the main character is. Like I am not so big on the Miss Marple type mysteries. I like Lynley as its set in England/Great Britain and has great layers to the characters and a modern titled MC. I like Estelle Ryan because it too has a great european setting and is just so different with the main character and the developement of the friendships and all that. And the cases in both series so far I really like. So far I haven't found another series yet to read after those two. I did check a bunch, but I'll keep looking.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #63 on: November 10, 2017, 09:28:41 am »
    For anyone trying to add to their Louise Penny Inspector Gamache series, books #8 and #9 are on sale for $2.99.

I have tried to get into this series several times now, but the first book just doesn't grab me.  I know it will drive some of you crazy, but can you recommend one later in the series that I can try before going back to the beginning?

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #64 on: November 10, 2017, 09:30:58 am »
    Atunah, you might like Martha Grimes Richard Jury series. Serious mysteries, a bit less gritty than the Lynley series, but generally a lot of fun. There are upwards of 20 titles right now, and she's still writing as far as I know. Each is named for a pub in England and the mystery is connected somehow to the establishment. There are some kind of zany sidekicks who work with him, but it doesn't ever descend into farce.

The earlier ones are best, the last 3 or 4 are a bit bizarre, I thought, though actually, the last/most recent one was better again, more like her old self.

There's also the Adam Dalgliesh series by P.D. James. There are 14 of those; she died a few years ago. Those are bit more serious, more like the Lynley series.

Here are the first in each series.

My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #65 on: November 10, 2017, 09:31:56 am »
    I have tried to get into this series several times now, but the first book just doesn't grab me.  I know it will drive some of you crazy, but can you recommend one later in the series that I can try before going back to the beginning?

re: Louise Penny, Inspector Gamache series

I loved it from the first page, I'm afraid . . . and for me they only get better. I do think if the first one doesn't appeal, none of the later ones will either. :(
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #66 on: November 10, 2017, 09:44:53 am »
    Atunah, you might like Martha Grimes Richard Jury series. Serious mysteries, a bit less gritty than the Lynley series, but generally a lot of fun. There are upwards of 20 titles right now, and she's still writing as far as I know. Each is named for a pub in England and the mystery is connected somehow to the establishment. There are some kind of zany sidekicks who work with him, but it doesn't ever descend into farce.

The earlier ones are best, the last 3 or 4 are a bit bizarre, I thought, though actually, the last/most recent one was better again, more like her old self.

There's also the Adam Dalgliesh series by P.D. James. There are 14 of those; she died a few years ago. Those are bit more serious, more like the Lynley series.

Here are the first in each series.

Thanks Ann, I'll check them out. Now I have to also check out the Louise Penny series as I keep seeing it around here.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #67 on: November 10, 2017, 11:24:32 am »
    Thanks Ann, I'll check them out. Now I have to also check out the Louise Penny series as I keep seeing it around here.

Here's the first one:

Very likely you can find them through Overdrive as well.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #68 on: November 10, 2017, 11:39:11 am »
    Here's the first one:

Very likely you can find them through Overdrive as well.
    Thanks.

Yes, thankfully most I see are on my libraries, thankfully. Some of the prices on these mysteries. Ouch, I have seen 11.99 a lot. I have a chrome plug in that shows me on ever amazon book page, on every audible book page and on goodreads book page which of my libraries a book is available. Its pretty handy. I don't mind buying books, but when I'll be reading a long mystery series with like 10 or more books, I can't afford the over 7.99 up to 11.99 or even 12.99. Like the Estelle Ryan, I don't mind at all paying 5.99, that is like half of what some others charge. Those aren't at libraries anyway.

Offline passerby

• View Profile
    « Reply #69 on: November 10, 2017, 02:51:15 pm »

I second the recommendation of the Richard Jury novels by Martha Grimes. What is interesting about the Jury novels is that the recurring characters, like Melrose Plant and his Aunt Agatha, are just as interesting as the main character. Highly recommended.

Offline SarahCarter

• London, UK
    • Fantasy and YA author
      • View Profile
      • Sarah Carter
    « Reply #70 on: November 16, 2017, 05:01:17 am »
    re: Louise Penny, Inspector Gamache series

I loved it from the first page, I'm afraid . . . and for me they only get better. I do think if the first one doesn't appeal, none of the later ones will either. :(

I agree with that, although for me the first one was probably my favorite.

Offline StephanieQueen

• View Profile
      • Stephanie Queen
    « Reply #71 on: November 16, 2017, 11:42:04 am »
    Right now, it's Sandra Brown.
    But that'll change. It always does  8)

Stephanie Queen | blog

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #72 on: January 01, 2018, 08:08:26 am »
    I got hooked on the Estelle Ryan series because of readers from KB.

This is one of my favourite genres and I thought the Gauguin Connection sounded like something I would enjoy, so I went to download it and discovered I already had it! I really must do something about reducing my TBR list, it's getting out of hand.

(First thing I should probably do is stop reading enabling threads like this one.... :o)

Book 12, The Roubaud Connection, will be released February 22 and is available for pre-order at $5.99! YAY!!

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 02:12:33 pm by crebel »

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #73 on: January 01, 2018, 08:55:25 am »
    Arg, just when I said my new years resolution is to continue what I started in 2017, catching up with series. Now I see how far behind I am with the Estelle Ryan series. Authors write too fast now I think. I can't keep up with everything.

And I am also still staring at the number of books in the Inspector Lynley series I have to get to, and JD Robb and who knows what else. Every time I go to fictfact I cringe. I have 357 series logged there. most of them I started  :o :o

Going to try to make January a big reading month. Usually how January goes for me is a good indicator for the rest of the year.

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #74 on: January 01, 2018, 07:38:42 pm »
    Lots of great suggestions here & many I have followed in the past but went by the wayside when I started getting more into paranormal fiction.

But I recently read the first in a series by a mother-daughter team, P. J. Tracy ... Monkeewrench. There are 6 so far & I'm looking forward to the next few.
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement