Author Topic: Favorite Female Mystery/Thriller/Suspense Writers  (Read 21412 times)  

Offline Joseph M. Erhardt

• U.S.
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Female Mystery/Thriller/Suspense Writers
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2018, 07:46:22 pm »
I also like Deborah Crombie, though I got peeved at her for the cheap writer's trick she used leaving me hanging in her previous-to-current book (the one before Garden of Lamentations).

A recent (more or less recent) favorite was the Diane Fallon series by Beverly Connor.  The author has apparently discontinued this series to move on to other characters, alas.

Among the classic writers, Agatha Christie is my top pick, though I was probably well into my late 20's before I really began to appreciate her work. The Marples and Poirots are my favorites, though occasional outliers, like The Seven Dials Mystery, can be a pleasant surprise.

Joseph M. Erhardt

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline passerby

• View Profile
    « Reply #76 on: January 05, 2018, 07:48:12 am »
    I'm a Deborah Crombie fan as well, although I have to admit that I like the earlier books in her series more than the later ones.

Offline Tony Richards

• "A master of the art" - Black Static magazine
      • View Profile
      • Tony Richards -- Dark Fantasy Author
    « Reply #77 on: January 15, 2018, 08:00:25 pm »
    If you've never read Patricia Highsmith, you've been wasting your time.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #78 on: February 08, 2018, 02:13:40 pm »
    Book 12, The Roubaud Connection, will be released February 22 and is available for pre-order at $5.99! YAY!!

Quoting myself to note the release date has been changed to March 22, 2018.  *grumble*

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #79 on: February 08, 2018, 03:07:24 pm »
    yes . . . annoying . . . but at least they're keeping the price reasonable!
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #80 on: February 09, 2018, 05:59:41 am »
    Quoting myself to note the release date has been changed to March 22, 2018.  *grumble*

Bummer.  I even had this one marked on my calendar.
    This is what she said on Facebook about it:
    "* Change of plans!* **22 March**

Due to an amazing confluence of events, the editing of The Roubaud Connection hit a snag - to the point where I had to make an incredibly difficult decision:

The Roubaud Connection's release is postponed to **22 March**.

If you have already pre-ordered The Roubaud Connection, it will automatically update to the new date and will appear on your e-reader on the day. You don't have to do anything (except wait a teensy bit longer).

I deeply apologise for the delay, but at the end of the day, I would rather disappoint you with a date than with the quality of Genevieve's story."

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #81 on: February 09, 2018, 06:40:59 am »
    I guess its one advantage that I am not caught up on this series. I have others though that I am. On one hand, I like finally having some series up to date, that feeling of accomplishment. But then when you have to wait for the new installment and things like that happen, it annoys. Can't win.  8)

Sorry guys. But as we all know, time flies. The older I get, the faster it flies by. And it feels like less time to read for some reason. Same hours in the day, isn't it, yet it feels shorter. Sigh.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #82 on: September 19, 2018, 04:29:03 pm »
    So as I am still plowing through the Inspector Lynley series, last I read was #13 "With no one as Witness". I signed up for a trial of brit box to see how the tv version is. And I find it surprisingly good. Obviously, as long as the books are and as much internal stuff happens, they have to not include a lot of that. But they still got the gist of it I think. And the episodes are one and a half hour long, so basically like 2 in one compared with US made stuff. The first book was even two of those long episodes.

I noticed that they ended the normal book title episodes at season 3. Looking that up I am assuming at the time the series was caught up. So they made 3 seasons without the author? I guess they just continued on with whatever they came up with. I'll see when I get there. Will be weird to keep reading the books and then have a alternative universe at some point. Course the series is long ended now anyway, so not an awfully lot to catch up with.

No spoilers please. For either version.  8)

Anyone watch the series?

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #83 on: September 19, 2018, 04:40:32 pm »
    Is the Inspector Linley series on Netflix? We just got that and I've been watching Midsomer Murders. I really like it and there are 19 series ... I'm only on 10 or so. Anyway, I've seen bits of the Lynley series ... I may look for it and watch the whole thing in order.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #84 on: September 19, 2018, 04:44:02 pm »
    Is the Inspector Linley series on Netflix? We just got that and I've been watching Midsomer Murders. I really like it and there are 19 series ... I'm only on 10 or so. Anyway, I've seen bits of the Lynley series ... I may look for it and watch the whole thing in order.
    Its on Britbox. I signed up for the 7 day free trial via prime video. Its 6.99 after that. If I keep this, I'll cancel Acorn in the mean time. They make it so easy to sign up and cancel right from the amazon account. No need to deal with yet another company. I didn't see them anywhere else but Britbox. Other than for purchase that is. I binged the first 3 episodes and I am only on my 2nd day of the trial.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #85 on: September 19, 2018, 04:51:42 pm »
    Hmm. I guess I'll look for it on Netflix.

If you can get Midsomer Murders, you should try it. I think you'd like it.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #86 on: September 19, 2018, 04:57:18 pm »
    Britbox  ;D

I'll check out the Midsomer Murders. I always see that on several services. Netflix and I think Acorn has it too. Its it more like cozy mystery? Or regular mystery. I probably prefer the regular stuff. I also always look at the cast. There are so many brit actors I like watching in stuff.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #87 on: September 19, 2018, 05:16:23 pm »
    Yeah ... but I don't  have Brtbox ... so I'll check Netflix😉

MM is cozy-ish ... there's a DI and DS investigating, so not amateurs, but they all happen in the same fictional county. Some of the murders are kinda gruesome, but they don't show all the gore like on CSI or something.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #88 on: September 19, 2018, 05:28:21 pm »
    I don't mind the gruesome or the grit, I just don't like overly cutsey characters too much. That includes the investigators.

I had looked on Netflix for The Lynley series and on prime and on hulu and on acorn. Its like no matter how many services you have, the thing you wanna watch is on one that I have to also subscribe to. It gets a wee bit annoying.

Sometimes I just outright buy something because I don't sign up for yet another streaming thing.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #89 on: September 19, 2018, 05:55:18 pm »
    I don't mind the gruesome or the grit, I just don't like overly cutsey characters too much. That includes the investigators.

No, none of that. They show a sense of humor but take the job seriously. And the mysteries are pretty complex . . . I rarely figure the culprit but when it's explained it all makes sense and, for the most part, the clues were all there.

I had looked on Netflix for The Lynley series and on prime and on hulu and on acorn. Its like no matter how many services you have, the thing you wanna watch is on one that I have to also subscribe to. It gets a wee bit annoying.

Sometimes I just outright buy something because I don't sign up for yet another streaming thing.

I hear ya. The only reason we have Netflix is that we switched to T-Mobile and got a special price as my husband's retired Navy. Almost half what we were paying Verizon for equivalent service (more actually, because my husband switched to a smartphone) AND we get Netflix included! :o Of course we also have Amazon Prime, but not really inclined to subscribe to something else

I DID pay for Miss Fisher's Mysteries -- set in Australia during the 20s. I think there are 3 seasons -- it's quite fun. But mostly I like to try to find something on the services I already have. :)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #90 on: September 19, 2018, 07:36:33 pm »
    Cool, I give the Midsummer series a shot. At least there are a few seasons to sink ones teeth into.  8)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #91 on: September 20, 2018, 03:38:04 am »
    Cool, I give the Midsummer series a shot. At least there are a few seasons to sink ones teeth into.  8)

Yep!

The first few series are only 3 or 4 episodes, but later ones run to 6 or more sometimes. Random, as BBC series often are. :) Each episode is around an hour and 40 minutes.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #92 on: September 20, 2018, 07:50:07 am »
    Yep!

The first few series are only 3 or 4 episodes, but later ones run to 6 or more sometimes. Random, as BBC series often are. :) Each episode is around an hour and 40 minutes.
    I'll let you know how I like it. And to bring this back a wee closer to the topic, are the Midsummer murders based on a book series or any books at all? Just wondering.

I am definitely more drawn to non US based mysteries I found. I know the Lynley series is written by an american, but its based in England so I get those bits.  ;D. I think the same goes for watching mysteries on TV.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #93 on: September 21, 2018, 05:05:36 am »
    I'll let you know how I like it. And to bring this back a wee closer to the topic, are the Midsummer murders based on a book series or any books at all? Just wondering.

I am definitely more drawn to non US based mysteries I found. I know the Lynley series is written by an american, but its based in England so I get those bits.  ;D. I think the same goes for watching mysteries on TV.

apparently so:

That would be the first in series. And it's COMPLETELY on topic as it's written by a woman! ;D

I've not read them . . . am enjoying the show. :D
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #94 on: September 21, 2018, 07:30:31 am »
    Interesting. Yeah, if I start watching the show, I won't be reading the books. If I do both I have to read the books first. Doesn't work for me the other way around.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #95 on: September 21, 2018, 04:22:53 pm »
    For me, I think I probably won't read the books as I'm well into the show. I often find that film characterizations are very different to the TV adaptations, and even if they start with the same sort of plot, they tend to diverge pretty quickly.

With Midsomer Murders, I read the blurb for the first one and, while the plot looked the same as the first episode, they way they described Barnaby and Troy didn't sound to me like the impression I'd formed from the series.

Another example is the Bones TV series which was based on Kathy Reich's books, but I actually like the TV series better. I read the first bunch of the books and just didn't much like the characters as portrayed in them.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #96 on: September 21, 2018, 05:07:11 pm »
    Another example is the Bones TV series which was based on Kathy Reich's books, but I actually like the TV series better. I read the first bunch of the books and just didn't much like the characters as portrayed in them.

I liked both, but I always felt there was zero resemblance between the two.  For me, Kathy Reichs was a semi-detailed forensic anthropology series (Like Cornwell used to be before she went off the deep end in her writing) that I really, really enjoyed.  The show was an interesting show I liked, but none of the book characterizations or plot developments matched.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #97 on: September 21, 2018, 07:07:17 pm »
    I liked both, but I always felt there was zero resemblance between the two.  For me, Kathy Reichs was a semi-detailed forensic anthropology series (Like Cornwell used to be before she went off the deep end in her writing) that I really, really enjoyed.  The show was an interesting show I liked, but none of the book characterizations or plot developments matched.

Yeah . . . they were really quite different. And, ultimately, I liked the show better. Go figure. :)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #98 on: September 23, 2018, 01:52:27 pm »
    I've never watched Bones, or read the books. I think I saw a wee bit of it when there was a cross over from I think it was Sleepy Hollow? I did not like the male actor at all, somewhere else I know him from.

I just started a new Inspector Lynley and its always a bit jarring when I look at the pages on those. 900 this time. I had one that was over 1000, can't recall which one it was. Yet, they still read like "normal" size books to me. If that makes sense. Everything belongs there and so much intertwined and all that.

Oddly enough I am not getting mixed up with the books even though I am watching the TV show. I am not inserting the TV actors into my reading. Not even a bit. Cause Lynley has blond hair.  ;D
    I think they can all live separately and in harmony.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #99 on: September 23, 2018, 06:40:37 pm »
    The other series I've been reading lately is Ann Cleeves Shetland series. Here's the first:

I think I rated that one 3 star, read it a year or two ago. Recently I went back to the series and have read both the second and the 3rd and liked them better than the first -- rate 'em both at 4 star. So that's a bit unusual, but not a bad thing at all, of course. :)

Also -- they're available via Overdrive in my local library.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement