Author Topic: Favorite Female Mystery/Thriller/Suspense Writers  (Read 21367 times)  

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Female Mystery/Thriller/Suspense Writers
« Reply #175 on: May 26, 2019, 04:44:00 am »
Thanks for that crebel ... I, too will have no problem spending $5 in 30 days.

I periodically get these sorts of offers through the amazon app on my tablet, but it's usually a limited selection of books ... you can get $3 off one; they're usually Amazon imprints that go for $3.99 or $4.99 regularly.

AND... I just turned in over $40 of coins at coinstar so I've got free money sittin at Amazon. :D ;D :D

eta: just did it! I picked up a couple books that are more than I'd usually buy, but they're not being carried by my library. I was just waiting for good timing. :D

How long did it take, crebel, for the credit to appear? Did you get a notice? or did it just appear the next time you spent money?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 04:50:02 am by Ann in Arlington »
My Kindles
Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #176 on: May 26, 2019, 06:17:27 am »
    How long did it take, crebel, for the credit to appear? Did you get a notice? or did it just appear the next time you spent money?

I got the confirmation email almost immediately.  When I went to check my gift card balance a little later, it appeared that the $5 had been taken off in various increments on the 3 books I purchased to qualify. That wasn't quite how I was expecting it to work, but yay for $5 off however they applied it!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #177 on: May 26, 2019, 07:15:41 am »
    I got an email right away too and the whole $5 was sitting in the checkout. When you look at a bookpage on the right it will say (-5.00) under the price. It took the full amount of the book I bought, which was 5.99. Maybe because I only bought one book.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #178 on: May 26, 2019, 08:21:35 am »
    I got an email right away too and the whole $5 was sitting in the checkout. When you look at a bookpage on the right it will say (-5.00) under the price. It took the full amount of the book I bought, which was 5.99. Maybe because I only bought one book.

You are correct, it totally does show "-5.00" under any the price of any book I look at this morning!  So I guess it is still waiting to be applied and I somehow misread the prices charged under my gift card balances.

Off to decide which book I want to take $5 off of ...  ;D

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #179 on: May 26, 2019, 08:26:10 am »
    Those promo codes don't show up when you look under your giftcard balance. I get those codes at times for using slower shipping instead of prime. Gets me $1 each order for books. I think you can see them going via the video store. When you click on something to buy and then on more ways to watch there is a use gift code section there. Sometimes it shows other type of promos there. Otherwise the ebook one is just showing as a minus under each book page if you have it.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #180 on: May 26, 2019, 06:42:58 pm »
    It did come pretty quick .... will have to do some more shopping. Though I probably won't have to look very hard to find something I want. ;)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #181 on: May 28, 2019, 06:58:37 am »
    I purchased the first Sebastain St. Cyr book (What Angels Fear) back in February for $1.99.  Thanks to you guys I started reading it over the holiday.  I'm up to book 8 (What Darkness Brings) now, and there are only two more of them priced at $7.99, so I may come to an abrupt halt in a few days.
    I wanted to mention that the entire series is available on Scribd as audio books.  That seems to be pretty common for big-name authors from the large publishers.  I can't just read the books, but I can listen.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #182 on: May 28, 2019, 07:31:49 am »
    Andra, check your library .... I've been able to borrow all of them through mine.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
      • View Profile
      • Bayou Cover Designs
    « Reply #183 on: May 28, 2019, 06:10:37 pm »
    These are the latest series I've been reading.

Linda Castillo (Kate Burkholder Series)
    Christina Dodd (Cape Charade Series)
    Karin Slaughter (Will Trent Series)

I need to start reading the Grant County Series by Karin Slaughter, which takes place before her Will Trent series.  I don't usually read out of order, but I didn't realize that the 2 series were linked until after the fact.  ???

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | 2019 Reading Challenge | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline H7Py49

• U.S.A.
    • It's an anomaly right?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #184 on: May 29, 2019, 09:18:33 am »
    Emily St. John Mandel
    Yvonne Navarro

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #185 on: October 11, 2019, 12:48:03 pm »
    O.K. So, I just finished her latest, A Better Man, so it's time for me to once again gush over Louise Penny.  Read the series from the start, of course (Still Life) and if you don't love it, then I'm sorry for you. :( :)

I read the first one back in 2009 and have continued with the series faithfully. It's one of the few that I will pay full price for when a new one is due out. I'm sure they're all available via Overdrive for those more frugal; current price on most of them is $9.99 which I realize is a bit high for some. But they are all so totally worth it. I buy these books and then hold them and save them for when I need a book I know I will like. And, I kid you not, I started reading this one a couple of days ago and could just feel myself relaxing. The mysteries are well crafted, the characters are superbly drawn, and the writing is just wonderful. I've rated every book in the series at least 4 stars, and many of them 5 stars -- which is rare for me.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #186 on: October 11, 2019, 07:26:53 pm »
    O.K. So, I just finished her latest, A Better Man, so it's time for me to once again gush over Louise Penny.  Read the series from the start, of course (Still Life) and if you don't love it, then I'm sorry for you. :( :)

I read the first one back in 2009 and have continued with the series faithfully. It's one of the few that I will pay full price for when a new one is due out. I'm sure they're all available via Overdrive for those more frugal; current price on most of them is $9.99 which I realize is a bit high for some. But they are all so totally worth it. I buy these books and then hold them and save them for when I need a book I know I will like. And, I kid you not, I started reading this one a couple of days ago and could just feel myself relaxing. The mysteries are well crafted, the characters are superbly drawn, and the writing is just wonderful. I've rated every book in the series at least 4 stars, and many of them 5 stars -- which is rare for me.
    Fine fine fine. I just checked it out at my library. I have another book to finish first. I'll try to forget the movie I watched. That was the main reason I haven't started the series. Cause they made a tv movie of the first and it was a bit boring. But its been a while and I don't really remember much of it. I only watched it because I liked the  main actor from the Inspector Lynley series. Which I also read. I just didn't like him in that role at all. Still life that is.

Reminds me, I need to read another Lynley soon too.

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #187 on: October 11, 2019, 09:29:15 pm »
    Loving the P.J.Tracey Monkeewrench series!
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Online LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #188 on: October 12, 2019, 04:13:55 am »
    Nevada Barr and Deborah Crombie are two I've recently read and enjoyed.
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #189 on: October 12, 2019, 05:44:57 am »
    Fine fine fine. I just checked it out at my library. I have another book to finish first. I'll try to forget the movie I watched. That was the main reason I haven't started the series. Cause they made a tv movie of the first and it was a bit boring. But its been a while and I don't really remember much of it. I only watched it because I liked the  main actor from the Inspector Lynley series. Which I also read. I just didn't like him in that role at all. Still life that is.

Reminds me, I need to read another Lynley soon too.

I saw that movie, too, and wasn't impressed. Read. The. Books. ;D 'Cause it's the characters that make the book and the movie didn't do a good job with portraying them, I thought. Plus, like actual humans, they change and grow (and sometimes regress) as the series goes on. Gamache is not the same guy in book 15 that he was in book 1 -- his experiences have shaped him. Same is true, even more so, for some of the other characters.
    « Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 05:46:37 am by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #190 on: January 17, 2020, 08:42:46 am »
    In March/April of last year I enabled several in this thread to try the Melissa F. Miller legal thrillers (Sasha McCandless) which starts with this book:

Then the offshoot "Path" series about Buddhist Forensic pathologist, Bohdi King, which begins with:

I don't know how many of you got around to reading those still free first-in-series books, but I ended up a big fan of both series and have read them all.  Next Monday, February 20th, is release day for the latest Bohdi King:

« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 08:46:00 am by crebel »

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #191 on: January 17, 2020, 03:40:47 pm »
    I read the first in the Sasha series due to your recommendation and I already own the next in series, but 2019 was a really bad reading year for me. I barely got to reading and it was really a sad state to look at my challenge for the year.  :( Everything on my tbr suffered due to that.

I think maybe I am off to a better start this year.

Your link to the newest "Path" book is the same as the first in series by the way. Copy paste didn't stick.  ;D

Own that one too, first one that is. I will continue that Sasha series first though before starting the "Path". I need to get some organizing going on with my reading and not go zig zag all over the place. Maybe I just need to do what you do a lot and read either a whole series, or at least a few books in a row.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #192 on: January 17, 2020, 07:20:10 pm »
    Your link to the newest "Path" book is the same as the first in series by the way. Copy paste didn't stick.  ;D

Each comes up okay for me when I click the picture links in my post.  Are you saying you get Dark Path on both links?

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #193 on: January 17, 2020, 07:36:17 pm »
    No, I am just an idiot. I swear they looked the same to me. Its what I get for not cleaning my glasses.  :-X Same color, same font. Same amount of letters.  :-\.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #194 on: January 17, 2020, 08:04:15 pm »
    No, I am just an idiot. I swear they looked the same to me. Its what I get for not cleaning my glasses.  :-X Same color, same font. Same amount of letters.  :-\.

Ah, easy mistake to make.  They are basically the same cover with only a title change from Dark to Cold.  You have to look pretty closely to even see the water is a different picture.  I'm not fond of any of her covers and still don't remember how I found the first McCandless book, usually I would pass those covers by without checking out the blurb.  I'm really glad I didn't for this series!

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #195 on: January 19, 2020, 09:38:56 am »
    Yeah, would have scrolled on by too. But since you recommended them, I gave it a shot. Cause just because something is free these days, I don't jump on it anymore, unless someone says so.  ;D. I still remember the years of hording I then had to purge from my account. I don't remember either if you said how you found it. I guess I could browse a bit back in the thread to see. I do like to do that from time to time. This thread isn't as intimidating as the HR one. Size wise that is.

I finished another Elizabeth George. Number 16 and there are only 4 more to go now. That last one, #20 was published in 2018. I'll have to research when and if there is another one coming.

I love this series, this installment was a 5 star from me. I don't know how this author does it. Sucks me in, even though the books are long, it doesn't feel like it to me. And there are so many twists and turns, emotionally, internally, procedurally. Ok, the last isn't a word, but it should be.  :P

And Barbara Havers is my favorite mystery character. She is the hero we deserve and the hero we need. I know its called Inspector Lynley series. But to me its Havers world. When she is in the books that is. Some don't have here in it, or not much. But even if she isn't as prominent, her aura is always there in other characters too. She is the glue that holds it all together for me.

Anywho. Got to finish the HR I am reading at the moment. Have a couple of hours before I have to get busy again doing grown up stuff.  8)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #196 on: January 19, 2020, 10:34:53 am »
    Yeah, would have scrolled on by too. But since you recommended them, I gave it a shot. Cause just because something is free these days, I don't jump on it anymore, unless someone says so.  ;D. I still remember the years of hording I then had to purge from my account. I don't remember either if you said how you found it. I guess I could browse a bit back in the thread to see. I do like to do that from time to time. This thread isn't as intimidating as the HR one. Size wise that is.

I finished another Elizabeth George. Number 16 and there are only 4 more to go now. That last one, #20 was published in 2018. I'll have to research when and if there is another one coming.

I love this series, this installment was a 5 star from me. I don't know how this author does it. Sucks me in, even though the books are long, it doesn't feel like it to me. And there are so many twists and turns, emotionally, internally, procedurally. Ok, the last isn't a word, but it should be.  :P

And Barbara Havers is my favorite mystery character. She is the hero we deserve and the hero we need. I know its called Inspector Lynley series. But to me its Havers world. When she is in the books that is. Some don't have here in it, or not much. But even if she isn't as prominent, her aura is always there in other characters too. She is the glue that holds it all together for me.

Anywho. Got to finish the HR I am reading at the moment. Have a couple of hours before I have to get busy again doing grown up stuff.  8)

I haven't read Elizabeth George even though I've heard of Inspector Lynley, but if Atunah likes it (except for Outlander books), I'm pretty guaranteed to like them.  ;D  I almost choked at the price of every Kindle book in the series when I checked the Amazon link.  The first book, A Great Deliverance, is still $12.99 even though it was published in 2010!

However, I immediately checked my library and they are ALL available (well, wait list for some of the newer ones, but still).  I don't think an entire series I've been interested in reading has ever been available at my library, I'm excited to start as soon as I finish the HR I'm reading now.  Thanks, Atunah!

Editing to ask library question.  Those of you who do lots of library borrows, can more than one person on your account read a library book at the same time?  Is manage your content going to let me download it to more than one device?
    « Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 10:44:13 am by crebel »

Offline Fogeydc

• View Profile
    « Reply #197 on: January 19, 2020, 11:32:03 am »

"procedurally" is too a word!

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #198 on: January 19, 2020, 12:20:37 pm »
    n interested in reading has ever been available at my library, I'm excited to start as soon as I finish the HR I'm reading now.  Thanks, Atunah!

Editing to ask library question.  Those of you who do lots of library borrows, can more than one person on your account read a library book at the same time?  Is manage your content going to let me download it to more than one device?

Yes .... you can put it on all your devices.

In fact. Further, if you're in danger of the loan expiring before you've finished it, you can turn off the wireless on the kindle and, though it will be officially returned to the library and no longer in 'manage your content', it'll stay on that device until you connect it again. I borrowed a John Grisham novel a couple months ago and told my brother, who has one kindle linked to my account, that it was borrowed. Pretty sure he's not returned it yet, though it's long gone from my account. He only turns wireless on if I tell him there's something there for him.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #199 on: January 19, 2020, 12:29:13 pm »
    Yes .... you can put it on all your devices.

In fact. Further, if you're in danger of the loan expiring before you've finished it, you can turn off the wireless on the kindle and, though it will be officially returned to the library and no longer in 'manage your content', it'll stay on that device until you connect it again. I borrowed a John Grisham novel a couple months ago and told my brother, who has one kindle linked to my account, that it was borrowed. Pretty sure he's not returned it yet, though it's long gone from my account. He only turns wireless on if I tell him there's something there for him.

Excellent!  Thanks, Ann.  I'll send it to my mom's Kindle at the same time when I do borrow it.  I did know about keeping wireless off to retain the book if you aren't done reading when the borrow is set to expire.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement