Author Topic: My new writing theory: raid the spam folder  (Read 918 times)  

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
  • Author, Parks Commissioner
    • View Profile
My new writing theory: raid the spam folder
« on: December 06, 2015, 10:30:44 pm »
While trying to think of a character name, I happened to check my email (because I'm easily distracted) and deleted a piece of spam from a Milten Mike. And then I thought: say... that's an interesting name.

Turns out there are loads of great names in here! Bertha Savage, Florence Mayer, Brigitte Justice...

I bet there's a whole novel in here if I dug deep enough.  ;)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online EC Sheedy

• BC, Canada
    • "Words are Deeds." Wittgenstein
      • View Profile
    Re: My new writing theory: raid the spam folder
    « Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 10:48:27 pm »
    A novel? Definitely!

(Not to mention the millions and millions of dollars those Miltens, Brigittes, and Florences so desperately want to give you . . .   ;D )

Offline SasgoraBooks

• Cincinnati, OH
      • View Profile
      • Website
    « Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 11:38:37 pm »
    You had a brilliant idea, but now every one else will do it and you will have 50 novels next year all staring Milten Mike as the main character. :P

Horror, Supernatural, Science Fiction, Dark Poetry
    Randy Speeg | WebsiteAmazon Author Page | Goodreads Author Page | Twitter | Facebook

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
    • If you want real love, buy a dog.
      • View Profile
      • Margaret Brazear Author
    « Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 11:46:10 pm »
    Here's an idea: A very cynical older English lady gets several emails from the FBI threatening to come and arrest her if she does not pay for the transfer certificate to move her $50million from the Nigerian Compensation Scheme for a scam she was never fooled by, they are coming to arrest her. They even tell her not to 'try anything funny' because they know where she lives.

Now, this lady, being cynical tells them in no uncertain terms that the FBI have no jurisdiction in the UK so they can pee off.

The story goes on to tell how two men in black, purporting to be FBI agents turn up on her doorstep...

The past is another country; they do things differently there
    Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Newsletter

Offline ruecole

• Greater Vancouver, BC
      • View Profile
      • Rachel Elizabeth Cole
    « Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 12:04:36 am »
    I've actually done this before. Some of those names are great! ;)

Rue

Rachel Elizabeth Cole Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Offline Goulburn

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 06:30:42 am »
    So I have a use for the email from Donald Moss, sent tono name attached for the recipient, supposedly containing a summons, which I'd have had to click open a zipped file to read.

Great Idea. Next villain to be hoist with his own petard, can be Donald. :-). I love this idea.
    I do not consent to the Sept 2018 TOS change that was made without asking my consent or even offering notification.  If VerticalScope republishes content I own I will sue them for breach of copyright.

Offline Lady Runa

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 09:04:21 am »
    Here in France spam is boring... what kind of story can you create around a fake water bill? :)

Storyteller

Offline starkllr

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 09:18:28 am »
    Here's an idea: A very cynical older English lady gets several emails from the FBI threatening to come and arrest her if she does not pay for the transfer certificate to move her $50million from the Nigerian Compensation Scheme for a scam she was never fooled by, they are coming to arrest her. They even tell her not to 'try anything funny' because they know where she lives.

Now, this lady, being cynical tells them in no uncertain terms that the FBI have no jurisdiction in the UK so they can pee off.

The story goes on to tell how two men in black, purporting to be FBI agents turn up on her doorstep...

Love it!

My spam-inspired novel will have to be about a guy who, bored with his day job, decides on a whim to become a dentist and sets up a practice out of his home, buying equipment from the dental supply companies that keep sending him ads for discount dentistry equipment.

(I have no idea how I got on the mailing list for dental equipment suppliers.  I don't even like GOING to the dentist, forget about ever wanting to BE one!)

What if you could see everyone else's dreams?
    J.J. DiBenedetto | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Smashwords | Goodreads

Offline dgrant

• North Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 09:21:04 am »
    Yes, it's a wonderful source of names! And craziness.

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
    • If you want real love, buy a dog.
      • View Profile
      • Margaret Brazear Author
    « Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 09:33:31 am »
    Love it!

My spam-inspired novel will have to be about a guy who, bored with his day job, decides on a whim to become a dentist and sets up a practice out of his home, buying equipment from the dental supply companies that keep sending him ads for discount dentistry equipment.

(I have no idea how I got on the mailing list for dental equipment suppliers.  I don't even like GOING to the dentist, forget about ever wanting to BE one!)
    I seem to have got onto the mailing lists of some employment agencies. I keep getting emails telling me they have found an ideal job for me locally, and am I still looking? I am retired and I haven't looked for a job for a good forty years anyway as I was always self employed. Lord knows how I got on their list.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
    Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Newsletter

Offline pdworkman

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 02:04:25 pm »
    Had a look at my spam folder... looks like my next book will be about Peyton, who is overrun with offers of free books, but it will be written mostly in Chinese.

I write riveting young adult and suspense fiction about mental illness, addiction, and abuse.
    P.D. Workman | Web | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Joe_Nobody

• Texas (east and west)
      • View Profile
      • Joe Nobody Books
    « Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 05:57:55 pm »
    From a book I wrote back in 2013:

Theres no local government functioning in this part of Africa, briefed the Colonel. The region has been in absolute chaos for 25 years. Coups, civil war, corruption, and organized crime have dominated the local politics. A man named Ditto Ombomtu has surfaced as the ringleader. Mr. Ombomtu is quite the colorful figure.
        The Colonel lifted a sheet of paper from the conference table and began reading. International wire fraud, embezzlement, prostitution, blackmail, narcotics, kidnapping, slavery, extortion - the list goes on and on. Clearly, our friend Ditto is an active local businessman. He is wanted by our FBI, Interpol, and numerous other law enforcement agencies around the globe.
        During the Colonels pause, Bishop lifted his hand for a question. The Colonel acknowledged the gesture with a nod. Sir, does the charge of international wire fraud mean this is the guy filling up my inbox with all of those emails claiming to be from the Nigerian Central Bank, or an African prince or whatever?
        The Colonel grinned at Bishops question, Why yes, it does, Bishop. I see here on this report that Mr. Ombomtu runs one of the largest internet spamming sites in the world. Im sure weve all received solicitations from this man.
        I want the kill shot, sir, Bishop retorted, his tone indicating the request was only partially tongue-in-cheek.
        The roomful of operators erupted in laughter, which was quickly followed by others competing for the  privilege of ensuring Mr. Ombomtus demise, some of the men being very creative how the criminal should die.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement