Author Topic: Dragon dictation... are you a dragon rider?  (Read 17684 times)  

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
Dragon dictation... are you a dragon rider?
« on: December 11, 2015, 07:49:35 am »
I'm not, but are you?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHqyA8312jA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHqyA8312jA</a>

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
    • Storyteller and Cat Minion
      • View Profile
      • Ineti Press
    Re: Dragon dictation... are you a dragon rider?
    « Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 07:57:07 am »
    Nope. I tried dictating prose into my little Sony voice recorder but I found it really hard to speak in complete sentences. I'm much more of a visual writer--I need to see the words on the page or screen as they flow out of the brain and out of the fingers onto the keyboard.

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
      • View Profile
      • Impulse Books UK
    « Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 07:58:26 am »
    Nope. I tried dictating prose into my little Sony voice recorder but I found it really hard to speak in complete sentences. I'm much more of a visual writer--I need to see the words on the page or screen as they flow out of the brain and out of the fingers onto the keyboard.

I thought so as well. Michael shows it flowing out as he speaks using Scrivener in the video. So maybe it would work for me...

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Ineti Press
    « Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 08:01:27 am »
    I thought so as well. Michael shows it flowing out as he speaks using Scrivener in the video. So maybe it would work for me...

Yeah, that really wouldn't work for me. I do almost all of my draft writing on my Neo and import into Scrivener for editing and compiling.

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
      • View Profile
      • Impulse Books UK
    « Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 08:06:13 am »
    Yeah, that really wouldn't work for me. I do almost all of my draft writing on my Neo and import into Scrivener for editing and compiling.

True. I do all drafting on an old psion handheld, but I'm only 50. I'm not too old to keep up with the kids :)

Offline SRWitt

• DFW
      • View Profile
      • samwitt.com
    « Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 08:16:55 am »
    Dictation is 100% worth the time it takes to achieve fluency. The ability to knock out 5k or 10k words a day without crippling my hands is pretty amazing. I also find it works very, very well for plotting and crafting detailed beats prior to actually drafting a story. Dictation has changed my writing life for the better.

Everyone's writing process is different, but I think most writers could benefit from mastering dictation. The key, in my opinion, is to get past the initial frustration and learn how to best make it work for you. Start out using it for plotting, where flow isn't as important as it is in drafting. Use it for pre-writing or breaking beats. Try it for blog posts. Practice reading your own books to Dragon so it becomes more accurate and you become more comfortable with dictation. There are a ton of different ways to use Dictation, it's just a matter of figuring out what will work for you.
    Sam Witt | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Ineti Press
    « Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 08:20:43 am »
    Everyone's writing process is different, but I think most writers could benefit from mastering dictation. The key, in my opinion, is to get past the initial frustration and learn how to best make it work for you. Start out using it for plotting, where flow isn't as important as it is in drafting. Use it for pre-writing or breaking beats. Try it for blog posts. Practice reading your own books to Dragon so it becomes more accurate and you become more comfortable with dictation. There are a ton of different ways to use Dictation, it's just a matter of figuring out what will work for you.

I use my recorder to take notes and brainstorm while I'm driving to and from work. Really nice way to be able to get my thoughts together. Then I listen to the recorder and type out the good parts.

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
      • View Profile
      • Impulse Books UK
    « Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 08:47:15 am »
    I might get Dragon to play with. My accountant will deal. It's a work expense... how much is it anyway, and come to think of it, where do I get it?

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Ineti Press
    « Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 08:51:21 am »
    I might get Dragon to play with. My accountant will deal. It's a work expense... how much is it anyway, and come to think of it, where do I get it?

Right here. ;)  (Also, Amazon.)

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
      • View Profile
      • Impulse Books UK
    « Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 08:53:10 am »
    Right here. ;)  (Also, Amazon.)

Ha! I was hoping for a discount code or something. :) Typing dragon in Google will bring up all sorts of stuff. Amazon it is then. I have a really good podcasting microphone here. It will get some use at least.

EDIT: wow! The newest version is 115 while the 2012 is 37
    « Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 08:55:21 am by Mark E. Cooper »

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
      • View Profile
      • Impulse Books UK
    « Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 09:01:18 am »
    Okay I'm scared to buy it now. There are a lot of bad "crashes your PC" type reviews. Oh well.

Offline elizabethsade

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 09:22:33 am »
    Okay I'm scared to buy it now. There are a lot of bad "crashes your PC" type reviews. Oh well.

Fwiw, if you have a good computer, you'll mostly be okay. I have the newest version (and because of bugs and stuff, I do recommend the newest version) and with 8GB RAM/1TB hard drive, it's never crashed my computer. Crashed itself? Yes. It gets temperamental sometimes. But never my computer.

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
      • View Profile
      • Impulse Books UK
    « Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 09:56:06 am »
    Fwiw, if you have a good computer, you'll mostly be okay. I have the newest version (and because of bugs and stuff, I do recommend the newest version) and with 8GB RAM/1TB hard drive, it's never crashed my computer. Crashed itself? Yes. It gets temperamental sometimes. But never my computer.

Okay, I accidentally slipped on the mouse button and ordered the premium version. We shall see.

Offline jkwak

• Portland, OR
      • View Profile
      • Jessie's website
    « Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 11:18:22 am »
    I picked up Dragon about a month ago, but I haven't quite taken the plunge in using it for writing fiction. I use it for writing emails, and for writing this post. :-) It did take a while to get used to dictating with it, but I found it saves me a tough time with my freelance work. I'm a business copywriter, and it's pretty easy for me to dictate drier nonfiction stuff like that.

I would agree with the previous commentor that using it for plotting and other places where you don't need as much flow would be a great way to learn. I'm excited to use it to start writing fiction, because it's saved me so much time doing freelance work. Now that I've mastered that, I feel like I'd be able to master dictating fiction.

It can be a little bit buggy or at least it is on my Mac but it's word recognition rate for me is almost perfect, even after only a month of using it. I think it's worth the plunge but the learning curve is pretty steep.

Online Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 11:18:32 am »
    I use Dragon and love it. Even if you adapt it to your own style, instead of using it the usual way, it's still a time-saver. For example, I have the bad habit of writing out my first drafts by hand (frees up my brain when I'm stuck). I used to type everything up afterward but now Dragon does that for me. Speaking is quicker than typing and gives my hands a break. I'm still working to make it a smoother experience so I don't have to do as much tidying afterward. And I'd eventually like to cut out the notes-by-hand altogether. But for now, Dragon is already shaving about a half hour off each of my writing sessions.

Offline harker.roland

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 11:42:41 am »
    I use Dragon quite frequently. I have two long drives for work and dictate out my chapter. After the kids go to bed, I edit my daily work. In 20 minute spurts I get to about 3500 words a day.
    Ghosts & Grades 2 (COMPLETE - AVAIL 9/27): 100%

Ghosts & Grades 3 (First Draft): 18%

Untitled Space Odyssey (1st Draft) 100%
    Little Miss Publishing | Facebook

Offline Chrissy

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 12:01:25 pm »

Google Docs has a dictation function (it's free.) under Tools-Voice Typing.

It's a good way to practice dictation and see if it's for you and your writing process before investing in Dragon.

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • Destroyer of Science Fiction
      • View Profile
      • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
    « Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 12:10:13 pm »
    My new Mac has a dictation tool. Haven't yet tried to use it. I would seriously have trouble finding time at home when 1. No one is in the room with me (because embarrassing scenes), 2. No one is playing/listening to an electronic device, 3. No one is playing a musical instrument.

IAW: too much background distraction.

Offline amy_wokz

• "Think loose; write tight."
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 12:14:27 pm »
    You can get Dragon v12 or v13 Home Edition CD on ebay for $25-$40. I have both and there's very little difference between them. I recommend getting a CD, because the digital download version is v13 only, and it doesn't work on Win XP (if you happen to still be running it). Plus, CD's give you more control over the product.

I first bought v12 for $20 on eBay to try out on my Win XP operating system. It worked great (95%+ accuracy), and I fell in love with the process of writing so fast with it. Then I bought a new laptop with Win 10 and lucked into a $5.95 (for postage) copy of v13 from another writer who had an extra one to give away. I use the same 10 or so commands with it, and it ran even better when I ported my v12 user profile over to it. I'm a happy camper.
    "Readers prefer the clear and concise delivery of an exciting story more than the flowery and sublime delivery of utter ennui." - Hugh Howey

Offline Joseph J Bailey

• View Profile
      • Joseph J. Bailey - Author
    « Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 01:10:21 pm »
    I am totally a Dragon rider! I only wish the mobile version's subscription model were more affordable.

I may do the annual mobile subscription in lieu of paying for future full versions on my computer from now on. I'll just pretend that paying for the year is like buying the next version.

Joseph J. Bailey | Website | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline thenotoriousjed

• View Profile
      • John E Dorey
    « Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 01:16:27 pm »
    I'm hoping to become one, especially if my wife got my hints with Christmas coming up. I have ideas bouncing inside my head sometimes but after 10 hours at my real job I don't always feel like punching the keys on my keyboard. I usually don't mind talking though so I think it could help if for nothing else getting the start of an idea down.

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
      • View Profile
      • Impulse Books UK
    « Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 01:21:52 pm »
    I am totally a Dragon rider! I only wish the mobile version's subscription model were more affordable.

I may do the annual mobile subscription in lieu of paying for future full versions on my computer from now on. I'll just pretend that paying for the year is like buying the next version.

Oh no, did I do it wrong? I bought the full version, is there a subscription version like Office 2016?

Offline harker.roland

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 02:02:09 pm »

Have you tried using Voice Memos on your phone? I use them, then upload the file to Dragon to transcribe.
    Ghosts & Grades 2 (COMPLETE - AVAIL 9/27): 100%

Ghosts & Grades 3 (First Draft): 18%

Untitled Space Odyssey (1st Draft) 100%
    Little Miss Publishing | Facebook

Offline amy_wokz

• "Think loose; write tight."
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 02:42:12 pm »
    Dragon Home Edition now on sale at nuance for $49.99: http://www.nuance.com/dragon/index.htm
    "Readers prefer the clear and concise delivery of an exciting story more than the flowery and sublime delivery of utter ennui." - Hugh Howey

Offline elizabethsade

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 04:53:42 pm »
    Oh no, did I do it wrong? I bought the full version, is there a subscription version like Office 2016?

No it's subscription for a phone/cloud version, not the computer version.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement