Kindle Forum banner

Do you still buy paper books? Used bookstores are making a comeback...

26K views 183 replies 122 participants last post by  Louise Bates 
#1 ·
I don't buy paper books very often at all...but apparently, according to this article in the Washington Post, used bookstores are making a comeback!

http://wapo.st/1SgIW4q

Betsy

#3 ·
I never stopped completely, mainly for cost reasons.  My library isn't particularly well-stocked and some of the big publishers charge rather more than I am willing to spend on books.  So I still buy used books, although a lot of time I buy online.  It's just economics for me.  I'd love to be able to be more supportive of authors, but a 12.95 book is easily my entire monthly budget (and I often don't even spend that, depending on library and/or cheap kindle versions). 

#4 ·
I never stopped buying paperbacks. Even as I loaded up my Kindle. I love the convenience of having hundreds of books available on my Kindle/laptop/iPhone when I'm out and about, traveling or waiting for a bus or sitting in a café.
But when I'm home, I prefer reading paperbacks. Just habit, and also it's easier to flip back and forth to refresh my memory on characters, plot, etc.
And I love used bookstores! Was just in Portland and spent 4 hours and $$$$ at Powells (aka the best bookstore in the world) (IMO :)) stocking up on books, for gifts and for myself ;-D

G
#5 ·
I never stopped, and still buy almost all paperbacks.  I think I've bought less than a dozen eBooks total in the last few years, mostly non-fiction and one or two works to support the author or where it was a great deal (like I got the paperback to give someone and got the eBook for low cost or free).

Most of what I read isn't available in eBook form and when it is, it just isn't as "nice" (graphic works just don't do eBook well yet to me).  Also, I work on a computer 40+ hours a week, then come home and work on another one.  Reading gives my eyes a much needed break from the screens. :)

#6 ·
Anma Natsu said:
I never stopped, and still buy almost all paperbacks. I think I've bought less than a dozen eBooks total in the last few years, mostly non-fiction and one or two works to support the author or where it was a great deal (like I got the paperback to give someone and got the eBook for low cost or free).

Most of what I read isn't available in eBook form and when it is, it just isn't as "nice" (graphic works just don't do eBook well yet to me). Also, I work on a computer 40+ hours a week, then come home and work on another one. Reading gives my eyes a much needed break from the screens. :)
I can appreciate all of this, but note that KINDLE is an eInk screen and, for me, much nicer than a printed book page.

It's not a 'screen' in the sense that the light is coming at you. Those that have lighting built in, have a system where the light is focused onto the screen -- same as if you had a reading lamp. You can turn it up or down to maximize your reading comfort, and can adjust the print size for eye comfort as well. They're also lighter than most books -- even paperback. :)

#7 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
I can appreciate all of this, but note that KINDLE is an eInk screen and, for me, much nicer than a printed book page.

It's not a 'screen' in the sense that the light is coming at you. Those that have lighting built in, have a system where the light is focused onto the screen -- same as if you had a reading lamp. You can turn it up or down to maximize your reading comfort, and can adjust the print size for eye comfort as well. They're also lighter than most books -- even paperback. :)
Agreed. I have an older Kindle with no-glare screen and the eInk technology -- I can adjust the font so it's often easier on the eyes than my physical books. But I still read books when at home, mostly b/c I like to be able to easily flip back and forth to find info.

Some of my favorites I have as ebboks on Kindle and as physical books. Also sometimes now, with a big fat paperback (sci-fi mostly) I'll get the ebook because it is easier to hold and read.

#8 ·
I will occasionally buy a book at the used bookstore if it is a lot cheaper than the ebook. It's my way of sticking my tongue out at the big pubs who don't like ebooks and like to price them higher than the paperbacks. Instead of getting my 9.99, they don't get 15.99,  they get zero. Still would prefer the ebook, though. Amazing they don't see the not able to resale advantage of the ebook.

#9 ·
If I could still read paperbacks, I would maybe still read some of them. The ones that aren't in ebook form yet. Otherwise I just don't have the space here for books and kindle is just easier not just for my eyes, but also for my wrists, hands.

I have a box of rare paperbacks and I can't read them, which makes me sad as I would love to read those stories. I keep hoping they'll come out in ebook in my lifetime.

I just don't have any decent book stores anywhere near me, no used ones either. I wouldn't mind browsing in one again, but not if I have to stress myself out trying to drive there and then not find anything to look at.

G
#10 ·
Ann in Arlington said:

When I looked at a Kindle, I didn't really find it to be the case for me - it wasn't as nice as printed pages and the weight of books don't bother me at all. The font adjustment size is a great feature for folks who can't read regular print anymore or who find it too straining, my like my sweetie's mom. I got one for my own mom once too, because of many of the same benefits you noted as to why you like it. In her case, though she found it too hard to use even though she can use a computer and figured out an iPhone the first time she picked it up. She sent it back to me, I had no use for it and ended up selling it. ::)

eBooks just are not for me, and I don't think that's wrong or bad. They are great for lots of people, and if they work for others that just fine. :) For me, even if I were to get into eBooks more, I wouldn't buy a Kindle device. I already have a tablet (which if I do read Kindle books on is where I read most of them through the Kindle App), so spending money on yet another device is just wasteful for my situation.

Plus books are safer to read in the tub and by the pool ;) (though I acknowledge I do use the iPad there too since I have a waterproof case for it LOL) And while eBooks from indies are generally well priced, eBooks have no "used" option and most eBooks from traditional publishers are way more expensive than buying used (love Half Price) and since I read far more of those, economically, sticking to print books works in my favor. ;)

#11 ·
I no longer buy print as much as I love the smell, texture, and sensations of a physical book.

They just take up too much room.

I now have an entire digital library, far more than the hundreds of print books on shelves, boxes, and assorted nooks and crannies spread throughout my house, shared across my computer and phone that I can take with me anywhere.

As much as I miss smelling a new book and the pride of ownership in a particular find, the flexibility and accessibility of having all my books with me all the time does not make me miss what I have lost.

I am wedded to book's contents not their means of delivery.

For books I cannot get digitally (or in audio), I do borrow print copies from the library.

#13 ·
I'm heavy into Kindle but I can't give up paper. I buy mostly in used bookshops because they always seem so much fuller of surprise than glossy modern bookstores. Hey, I just realized I referred to used bookshops but modern bookstores. A shop is warm and cozy and full of strange mysteries but a store is, well, just a place where stuff is shelved.

#14 ·
I don't buy paperbacks often, usually only when I want something that's not available in ebook. However, people keep gifting me with paperbacks, so I always have something to read in that format. Next year I don't expect to buy more than one paperback for every ebook I purchase, not counting freebies. It would be none, but quite a few publishers don't bother with ebook versions for slightly older releases, and some of the best history reference books are highly illustrated.

#17 ·
I love my K because of the eye and wrist strain issues with physical books. However, I do miss being able to flip though a physical book and reread sections that catch my eye. I'd say that 95% of my reading is done on the Kindle, yet I just can't resist a good deal on a paperback (especially the $0.50 deals at my library!).

The used book stores in my area are pretty snooty and don't stock much romance and UF, which are the two genres I read the most of. Instead I use Paperback Swap, although not so much anymore since they instituted a yearly fee - that hugely cut down the number of books available. The funny thing is that even though I have a bookcase full of unread books AND I continue to get more, I almost never read them. I really need a 12-step program to cut down on my book buying addiction.  ;D

#18 ·
Definitely. I own both an old Kindle with a keyboard (which I like better) and a newer Kindle color tablet. Reading on the old Kindle is wonderful, but not being a woman I don't have a good place to carry it without possibly sitting on it and breaking it, and that just makes it easier to lay it down somewhere like a doctor's office and forget it (an expensive error). So they must stay at home. Unfortunately, often the only pleasure reading I get to do is while sitting in a waiting room; so paperbacks are the winner for that. No great loss if you crease a page or even lose it, and fits in your pocket.

But book cost is a major issue too. Because you can usually get a great book by a great author at a used bookstore that would cost you three or more times the price in an ebook online. Seriously. Since when I read, I might read a LOT of books, that cost difference mounts up fast for me.

Browsing in a physical bookstore is also different enough from online that sometimes you'd want to do it just for that reason, if no other. And unlike an Amazon ebook sampling, in a real bookstore you can flip around and look anywhere in the book before buying it.

Lastly, I live in a rural area that's always been a wasteland for used bookstores. But just a couple years ago a fantastic place opened up about 18 miles from me, that has a wonderful selection and pretty good prices. It's tough to beat anywhere, even online or in the big city 50 miles away! A few months back they had a sale at half their already low prices, and I stocked up!

#19 ·
I will often buy a paperback copy of a book if I really enjoyed the ebook version. There's something about having a full bookshelf.

I love the world of indie publishing. I love how easy it is to find a vast selection of books, but there's something about walking into a bookstore and browsing the shelves and smelling the books that I hope never goes away.

#21 ·
For the books I intend to read only once, I'll try to find a used copy if it's less expensive than the ebook. For most tradpub books, used copies are usually far less expensive. Buy the used book, read it, trade it back in for credit on the next purchase. I have one good used bookstore in my area and love it. I'm slowly going through my print library and culling the one-and-done books and the books I want to transition over to ebook.

#22 ·
Yep! I love looking at my collection, sitting there on my shelves. :) I'm running out of room, but, I won't let that stop me! ;)

I like used bookstores to find old, out-of-print manga for cheap. On online sites, they can be way overpriced so I'm always thrilled to find them for half their original price (maybe less) at a used bookstore.

#26 ·
The boyfriend and I make a couple trips to B&N (only option) per month. We both primarily buy non-fiction in print: travel, history, cooking, books on writing craft for me, technical/engineering books for him.

He likes his fiction in hard copy, I like mine digital. But I'm seriously old school on ebooks--I'm part of the group who trading hand-scanned ebooks 20 years ago because there WAS no way to buy them at that point. I used to read on a Palm Pilot. Yikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.