Author Topic: Freebie Bookbub promo paid for by the synced audiobook add-ons  (Read 589 times)  

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
  • Author, Parks Commissioner
    • View Profile
Freebie Bookbub promo paid for by the synced audiobook add-ons
« on: January 03, 2016, 01:54:42 pm »
This is the first time I've run a Bookbub for a book I also had in audio. I was counting on earning the cost of the sponsorship back from pre-orders (and then sales after January 26) of Book II in the trilogy.

What I didn't count on was 269 audiobook sales in two days. The audiobook is published through ACX at the 50% revenue rate, so at $1.99 for the audiobook tie-in with the Kindle, that right there paid for Bookbub.

Additional download numbers for context: 26,000 downloads on Kindle, 8500 downloads between Nook and iTunes. I reached #4 in the free Kindle store and #6 in the free iTunes store. I'm guessing that since this was a January 1 promo that a lot of people weren't on email that day so it's possible I could have gotten higher on a different day. Alternatively, I'm probably seeing a longer tail as people check their email: I'm still at #16 in the free store!

Pretty happy with how it's gone, but if you didn't know about the extra boost from audiobook sales, here's another reason to try to get your book in audio before a Bookbub!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Kristen Painter

• FL
      • View Profile
      • Kristen Painter
    Re: Freebie Bookbub promo paid for by the synced audiobook add-ons
    « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 02:00:13 pm »
    Sweet!
    Kristen Painter
    Author of the bestselling Nocturne Falls series

Offline Amy DuBoff

• Portland, OR
      • View Profile
      • Amy DuBoff - Author Website
    « Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 02:23:43 pm »
    Congrats! That's an incredible result. I'm hoping my BookBub feature goes a fraction of that well tomorrow.
    Space Opera & Science-Fantasy Author
    Amy DuBoff | Website | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline belindaf

• New York
      • View Profile
      • Belinda Frisch, Author
    « Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 03:56:47 pm »
    Congrats! I love ACX. I have all but one of my books available in audio and it was the smartest thing I've done for my writing career so far.

Belinda Frisch | Twitter | Goodreads

Offline Joseph J Bailey

• View Profile
      • Joseph J. Bailey - Author
    « Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 05:37:10 pm »
    Congratulations!

May your tail be long!

Joseph J. Bailey | Website | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
    • Author, Parks Commissioner
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 09:26:23 pm »
    Belinda, can you elaborate further on ACX benefits, with specifics, please,  and are you doing the royalty share option?

I can answer some of this:

* Getting your book into audio gives you the option for added income, thanks to the Whispersync for Voice feature.
    * It opens up possible sales in a new market (a market with fewer competitors, thanks to a higher barrier to entry).
    * The market itself is interesting too because most people in it are on a subscription of some kind. So they aren't deciding between spending money on your book and not spending money on your book. They've spent the money. So if your book is the one they want to read right now, they'll probably do it.
    * I've made more than a $1,000 from bounties from ACX. Most people won't have as many bounties (mine have all been from earned from nonfiction) but that's a great extra perk when it happens.
    * Knowing a book will be read aloud makes me a better writer.

As to royalties, I paid someone in a local studio to produce the books for me for a flat fee. I get all the royalties with no split. One book still hasn't made back the cost, but the other three have done very well.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement