Author Topic: Printers  (Read 1693 times)  

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
Printers
« on: January 13, 2016, 06:39:40 am »
What brand / make do you buy and where do you get it?  I don't need anything "fancy".  Just need it for printing (not photographs), scanning, and copying.  Don't need wireless.  That gets too complicated for me tech-wise when it doesn't work. 

In part because I have no one at home I can ask tech questions, six years ago I switched from PCs to Apple.  So far I've gotten a new MacBook Pro every three years so I always have AppleCare.  New MBP next month.  And so . . . printer.  Feel the same about it -- want to be able to call manufacturer for help.  In February '10 and '13, I did get new HP printer to go with new MBP.  This time I thought, don't really need new printer, just warranty extension for current.  I got two year warranty extension for my HP printer.  I get the fancy paperwork delivered for extension.  Have to call to register Care Pack.  HA HA HA  The Care Pack I was sold isn't compatible with my printer as three-year-old printer is basically obsolete.  It won't work with new Apple OS X (El Capitan) on a new MBP.  I asked that question when I bought warranty extension from Hazel at HP.  The whole mess has been nothing but frustration which I don't need.

So what printer do I get and where from?  Probably good chance it will be HP again.  Three years ago, it was easy.  Call, choose a printer, get it in a day or two, send back old printer (no charge for return shipping) in box new printer came in.  Get three year warranty to go with new printer so I can call for help.  Back to original question -- any other ideas re printer manufacturer and where to buy it?

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline corkyb

• Albany, NY
    • My yorkie angel
      • View Profile
    Re: Printers
    « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 08:35:42 pm »
    I'm in the same boat although I don't buy the warranties.  Basically Apple genius hooked up my HP wireless computer from their store when I bought my first Macbook in 2007.  I had the same printer that just broke.  I am desperate for a new printer.  Also wondr if I need a new Airport Extreme or whatever the router/modem thingy is called.  Bought that in 2007 also.  Wonder if it's slowing down my wireless. I do want wrielyess and airprint.  Was thinking of  HP 8620 but I think it's a couple years old.  What about the new HP Envy printers?  I am so scared to make the jump aas I am so non techy  I know I won't be able to get it right.    I am in a bind as I had a death in my family and need to all of a sundden print lots of documents and can't print a thing.  I think buying from Staples is a good place.  Or Best  Buy maybe. JMHO and all suggestions appreciated if I didn't steal your thread, Sandpiper
    Paula ny
    100th person to post 1,000 times

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 05:00:23 am »
    I am an ardent HP fan, but I have PCs, so have no experience with how they interact with Macs.  But my first HP laser, bought in 1995, was still running in 2010, and the HP all-in-one I just got rid of had to be ten years old.  Usually, I was able to get a driver that worked with it by doing a search on HP's website (the driver being the small piece of software that interprets commands from the PC for the specifics of the printer).  So I like them for their longevity and also for their ease of installation.  Other printers used to be a pain to install.  Everything changes, though.  I haven't bought a new HP printer in probably four-five years.  I bought the last one to have air print so I could print from my original iPad.

So, I guess the tl:dr would be I recommend HP printers with all my heart.  Corky, Staples and Best Buy have good prices, but their staff may or may not be knowledgable.  I do buy my printers from Staples, usually.  They have a good return policy, which is important wherever you buy it, in case it doesn't work with your set up.  Microcenter around here is also good--and they're a chain, but I don't know how widespread they are.  And their staff is very knowledgable.

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 05:07:51 am »
    Sandpiper,

What model printer do you currently have?  I found this online:
    http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04473034

Which shows compatible HP printers for OSX and whether there is a driver for them.

Betsy

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 05:15:16 am »
    Thanks for all the comments and advice.  Back later.  Have stuff I HAVE to get done today before anything else.

Offline HappyGuy

• Central FL
    • With God, nothing is enough for anything.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 05:32:49 am »
    Can you get a service agreement through Best Buy?
    "From the lips of infants and children you have ordained praise..." Psalms 8:2

Member 342

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 07:10:20 am »
    Can you get a service agreement through Best Buy?

I avoid the big box stores like the plague.  Don't trust them for anything -- advice, service, etc.  Anything.

Sandpiper,

What model printer do you currently have?  I found this online:

Which shows compatible HP printers for OSX and whether there is a driver for them.

Betsy

I have Photosmart 6520 printer.  I went to the HP page linked, Betsy.  ???  I am also so not techie like corky.  I have no clue what drivers, etc., etc., etc. are.  If I tried any of that which I don't understand, very much most likely would end up with software mess.  Then what? 

Does make me mad though that on the phone HP simply tells me my printer and El Capitan are not compatible.  That means after "only" three years an HP printer is piece of junk.  I have three year warranty for my current printer.  Warranty ends February 5, 2016.  Warranty = phone tech help like AppleCare.  They should offer that. 

Most likely I will simply get a new printer.  I have no one here I can easily ask for tech help.  There was a time when . . . in the '80s, early '90s there was a guy -- certified auto mechanic and very techie.  Those were good days for those reasons and much more about him.  Left for another part of the country and then died of smoking.

There is a Microcenter in this area.  I've never been there.  I SHOULD check them out for new printer.  It's not too far from my Trader Joe's.  I don't need to print wirelessly -- just print, copy, and scan.  I don't even do a lot of printing.  (I've accumulated enough paper for myself without making more.  ;)  And thinking of lawyers I've worked for.  Computers / word processing just created more paper -- not less.)

I'm having other somewhat minor problem not related to printing.  corkyb, makes me wonder if I need new AirPort Extreme router.  Got my current in February '10.  If you have a Mac / MBP with current AppleCare, Apple should help you re Apple router. 

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 08:57:43 am »
    I am in the search for a new printer also. I have a Canon Pixma that has served me well, though the ink is ungodly expensive. I switched from PC to Apple products a couple of years ago, and I want a printer that has AirPrint capability so I can print from my iPad. Printing from my Macbook has never been an issue, and I have found that Canon has great customer support. I don't see the need to get extended warranty on a printer. I have found that Best Buy has the best prices (they price-match) and have a great return policy. If other companies have customer service as good as Canon, I will always have a techie available. I need a wireless printer for sure. Do they even make them any other way now? I am rarely near my printer when I want to print. Because the price has come down significantly, I am thinking of buying a laser printer so I don't always have to be buying color cartridges.

ETA: Duplex printing is another must on my list. I am pretty sure all new printers have this feature.
    « Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 09:01:06 am by Jane917 »
    Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 11:05:37 am »
    I am in the search for a new printer also. I have a Canon Pixma that has served me well, though the ink is ungodly expensive. I switched from PC to Apple products a couple of years ago, and I want a printer that has AirPrint capability so I can print from my iPad. Printing from my Macbook has never been an issue, and I have found that Canon has great customer support. I don't see the need to get extended warranty on a printer. I have found that Best Buy has the best prices (they price-match) and have a great return policy. If other companies have customer service as good as Canon, I will always have a techie available. I need a wireless printer for sure. Do they even make them any other way now? I am rarely near my printer when I want to print. Because the price has come down significantly, I am thinking of buying a laser printer so I don't always have to be buying color cartridges.

ETA: Duplex printing is another must on my list. I am pretty sure all new printers have this feature.

My printing / printer needs are pretty simple.  You say you can phone tech help from Canon without a warranty?  Owning / using a Canon printer is enough for help?  You've been happy with their customer service?  Good customer service is very important to me.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 01:58:57 pm »
    My printing / printer needs are pretty simple.  You say you can phone tech help from Canon without a warranty?  Owning / using a Canon printer is enough for help?  You've been happy with their customer service?  Good customer service is very important to me.

Warranty has nothing to do with Customer Support. I have had to call Canon CS twice. I have had the machine for about 8 years. Long past any warranty. Both times I called they were very helpful and spoke clear English that I could understand. I think CS support for all the big printer companies....Brother, Canon, HP, etc. are similar.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 02:10:57 pm »
    Warranty has nothing to do with Customer Support. I have had to call Canon CS twice. I have had the machine for about 8 years. Long past any warranty. Both times I called they were very helpful and spoke clear English that I could understand. I think CS support for all the big printer companies....Brother, Canon, HP, etc. are similar.

So looks like I don't need warranty for tech help via phone?  Thought warranty was like AppleCare.  Have to say HP customer service does try hard, but I think they're located in French speaking Canada?  There's some kind of accent.  Not too bad, but . . . .   When I was trying to get extended warranty, original salesperson Hazel was purdy much no good.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 05:01:14 pm »
    I have Photosmart 6520 printer.  I went to the HP page linked, Betsy.  ???  I am also so not techie like corky.  I have no clue what drivers, etc., etc., etc. are.  If I tried any of that which I don't understand, very much most likely would end up with software mess.  Then what? 

Does make me mad though that on the phone HP simply tells me my printer and El Capitan are not compatible.  That means after "only" three years an HP printer is piece of junk.  I have three year warranty for my current printer.  Warranty ends February 5, 2016.  Warranty = phone tech help like AppleCare.  They should offer that. 

But according to the page on their website that I linked to, your HP Photosmart 6520 IS compatible with El Capitan.  I'd call them back and speak to someone else.  Here's the link again

"HP Printers - OS X v10.11, v10.10 Compatible Printers

This document is for HP printers that work with OS X v10.11 El Capitan and OS X v10.10 Yosemite.
    Review the list to see the El Capitan and Yosemite driver options available for your printer model. To quickly locate your printer and your Mac computer driver option, click or scroll to the section for your printer, and then type the Command and F keys. When the search box displays, enter the printer model to automatically find your printer."

Under your printer, the page has:

HP Photosmart 6520 e-All-in-One Printer series
    HP full feature driver
    Apple Software Update
    HP Easy Scan App

And then on  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04473034#Apple_ASU, which I get to by tapping on "Apple Software Update" it says to use this method:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04510394

If you can't get HP support to help, perhaps someone at an Apple Store could help?

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 09:57:19 pm »
    If you can't get HP support to help, perhaps someone at an Apple Store could help?

It wouldn't be help in the Apple Store so much as on the phone with AppleCare.  Possibly. 

Day or two ago I e-mailed the link to a supervisor I talked to at HP.  Surprise?  No response.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 08:36:18 am »
    It wouldn't be help in the Apple Store so much as on the phone with AppleCare.  Possibly. 

Day or two ago I e-mailed the link to a supervisor I talked to at HP.  Surprise?  No response.

When I was on the phone with Apple Support on time trying to get help to get my Canon Printer to communicate with my Macbook, Apple Support did all they could from the Apple end. Then they gave me the phone number of Canon Support who guided me the rest of the way with the software and drivers that I needed. Apple Support does not support anything but Apple products.

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 02:11:43 pm »
    Bought an HP Envy through Costco for about $80. Prints, scans, and copies.  Works great.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: October 21, 2016, 06:18:28 pm »
    I finally fell to necessity and bought a new printer today. I chose the HP Envy 7640. I am amazed at how far printers have evolved since my Canon Pixma, about 8 years old. The HP was so easy to set up and I can finally print from my iPad. And the ink! 2 cartridges do it all. And I don't even have to worry about running out because somehow they know when I am low and they send it to me!

Offline metal134

• Canton, OH
    • Dayman, fighter of the Nightman
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 01:59:27 pm »
    Let me just say in defense of wireless that I've had my Epson for 3 years and the wireless has worked flawlessly without a single hitch.  The heads are starting to go, which after only 3 years they should not be.  But the wireless has been great and very useful.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: October 25, 2016, 04:53:40 am »
    I finally fell to necessity and bought a new printer today. I chose the HP Envy 7640. I am amazed at how far printers have evolved since my Canon Pixma, about 8 years old. The HP was so easy to set up and I can finally print from my iPad. And the ink! 2 cartridges do it all. And I don't even have to worry about running out because somehow they know when I am low and they send it to me!

I think HP has been known to tell you you're low on ink way before you are.  They want to keep the ink flowing.  After my experiences with HP on the phone, I do not trust 'em in any respect.

Offline *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon)

• Mtn House, CA
    • Self-help and Spiritual Living
      • View Profile
      • "HEALTH and LOVE is your birth-right" Series
    « Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 09:11:33 pm »
    I always had HP but have canon now. I miss OCR software that HP always included. My canon doesn't have OCR software. But I can scan images....

KBoards.com

• Advertisement