Author Topic: Forum tips  (Read 44737 times)  

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
  • Bellingham WA
  • Love all, moderate all.
    • View Profile
    • KBoards
Forum tips
« on: November 01, 2008, 10:57:29 am »
This sticky post has links to commonly-asked questions about various forum topics. (Authors: scroll to the bottom for some author-specific tips.)

How do I keep up with Kindle news, sales alerts, book recommendations, contests, etc.? We know, it's a big site. This will help:

(a) Go to our KB blog, and sign up for email alerts.
(b) Find us on Facebook, and "like" the page so you get our alerts in your newsfeed.
(c) Follow our tweets on Twitter.

How to set up your avatar. (An avatar is a small picture that appears on the left side of your posts in the forum.)

How to insert a picture into your post. Adding a pic to your post is fun, and easy!

How to stop animated graphics. Put a stop to it when the GIFs get too animated.

How to post text (and a bookcover image) that links to Kindle Store. Create links in your posts that go directly to a book (or any item) on Amazon!

How to link your text to an Amazon search. This method uses our Amazon button (on the posting page) to link any text on your page to a search on Amazon!

Linking to KBoards. How to link to this forum, from another web page or discussion forum.

How to edit your forum signature. Set up your forum sig with your own text, graphics, or userbars.

How to capture a screenshot. Save a picture of the screen on your PC or Mac.

'Quick Reply' tips. Post a reply in a thread quickly and easily.

Get KBoards on your iPhone. We have a cool icon for your iPhone home screen.

How to embed YouTube videos in your posts. Make a post that includes a video.

Unread Posts: how to leave out certain boards in your Unread Posts list. You can bookmark a special link to ignore, for example, the Writer's Cafe when you view the board's unread posts.

Your Guide to Forum Speak! SOMSIA. ("Sometimes our members speak in acronyms.")

How to subscribe to KBoards forums. Subscribe to our RSS feed to easily see the latest forum posts in your feedreader.

Why is my status "Dr. Seuss"? Here's an explanation of our mysterious member status rankings.

I don't want to see a certain member's posts. How can I ignore a member? It's quick and easy. Instructions at the link.

Author Tips and Tools

How do I put my book cover in my signature? See how to make linked text and book cover graphics in your forum siggy, with our easy-to-use Author Sig tool.

How can I make a sample of my book available for reading on the web? Use a simple KBoards link to get your sample to open up with one click.

How do I get a profile page for my book? A profile page is a clean web page for your book - with no distracting links or menu options. Everything on the page is all about your book. Follow the link to see how to view your profile page.

How can I get my book spotlighted as a KB Featured Book?  All you need to know about our daily featured book program.

Can I run a banner ad on KBoards?  Probably. Here's a link to get you started.

Any other promo opportunities?  Yes. Go to any KBoards page (like the one you're on now!), scroll to the bottom, and see the yellow box. Those links will tell you all you need to know.

What are the forum rules for how I promote my book?  KBoards is a great place for authors to promote their work. But before you post, know our rules of Forum Decorum.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 12:35:03 pm by Harvey »
Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Linda S. Prather Author

• View Profile
      • prather-author.com
    Re: Forum tips
    « Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 08:20:04 am »
    Wow!  As a newbie I just had to say--THANK YOU!  Your post is extremely informative and helpful (just as you meant it to be, of course).

Have a great day!
    Linda S. Prather, Author
    The Gifts, A Jacody Ives Mystery
    Sacred Secrets, A Jacody Ives Mystery
    Bet you can't... FIND ME

Offline LKWatts

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 10:07:33 am »
    Thanks very much for sharing this, I've been here a month and I'm still clueless, lol  ;)

L.K.Watts

Offline Lexxycyan

• Turkey but from Florida
      • View Profile
      • Sailing CYAN around the world
    « Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 11:08:54 pm »
    Agree with LKWatts.... now have more questions than answers! Don't know how long I will have to plow thru this complicated site before I understand what's going on or just give up!

Lynn/Lexxy on CYAN
    a 40' sailboat in the Med

"Do what you do so welland so uniquelythat people cant resist telling others about you." Walt Disney

Offline Cindy416

• Midwest
      • View Profile
      • My Eclectic Range
    « Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 11:16:44 pm »
    Agree with LKWatts.... now have more questions than answers! Don't know how long I will have to plow thru this complicated site before I understand what's going on or just give up!

Thanks very much for sharing this, I've been here a month and I'm still clueless, lol  ;)

Don't give up! These boards are great, and there are lots of us who will be happy to help you find your way around them. :)

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers."  Charles W. Eliot

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 03:22:10 am »

Lynn--

don't give up!  Keep on reading (there's always the chocolate thread  ;D).  Ask a question if you can't figure something out!

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Baron of Cleveland

• The World
      • View Profile
      • Baron of Cleveland
    « Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 05:34:48 am »
    Thanks for the pointers.

Offline Chase Butler

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 06:36:05 am »
    New here but not new to forums and boards. This has been a fabulous tips post.

*plans to settle in and LURK MOAR to get a feel for the new place*  ;D

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 10:24:10 am »
    Welcome, Chase!

Pull up a chair and make yourself at home!

Betsy

Offline Surria

• Vancouver, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 09:35:10 am »
    I just joined and I have to say:  Thank you!  This is exactly what I was looking for.

Offline AltMe

• WriterSanctum
    • Off the VS rocker.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 03:50:56 am »
    Is it possible to put both the Writer signature, and the reader signature together on the same signature?

I write and read. It would be nice to be able to reflect that.

I accept it might have to be put together externally, but wondered if it was possible.

Also, I haven't seen where the reader signature generator is.
    Gone to WriterSanctum.

I do not consent to the new TOS, and do not give my consent by posting and maintaining my membership here.

*** Warning: If you are reading this post more than 6 months after it was posted, the information in it is out of date, and useless to you. The eBook market changes rapidly, and advice more than 6 months old is out of date. Use at your own risk! ***

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 07:39:07 pm »
    Is it possible to put both the Writer signature, and the reader signature together on the same signature?

I write and read. It would be nice to be able to reflect that.

I accept it might have to be put together externally, but wondered if it was possible.

Also, I haven't seen where the reader signature generator is.

Timothy--

if you use the Author Sig tool, there is an option (or at least there used to be--I'll double check this) to add a reading bar to your sig.  (checked!) Note, however, that max width for sigs is 800 pixels wide, so in order to have all your covers, the only option you can add to the author sig is the Small Reading Bar.  I believe you can enter more books, but only the small bar can be shown with the author sig tool.

Betsy
    « Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 07:41:04 pm by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline AltMe

• WriterSanctum
    • Off the VS rocker.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 09:20:40 pm »
    if you use the Author Sig tool, there is an option (or at least there used to be--I'll double check this) to add a reading bar to your sig.  (checked!) Note, however, that max width for sigs is 800 pixels wide, so in order to have all your covers, the only option you can add to the author sig is the Small Reading Bar.  I believe you can enter more books, but only the small bar can be shown with the author sig tool.

Tried it, but the signature is unchanged. Still only showing my books.

Might I suggest the reading bar go underneath?

Could also be because the signature box size isn't big enough for the code for both.
    Gone to WriterSanctum.

I do not consent to the new TOS, and do not give my consent by posting and maintaining my membership here.

*** Warning: If you are reading this post more than 6 months after it was posted, the information in it is out of date, and useless to you. The eBook market changes rapidly, and advice more than 6 months old is out of date. Use at your own risk! ***

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 09:38:52 pm »
    Tried it, but the signature is unchanged. Still only showing my books.

Might I suggest the reading bar go underneath?

Could also be because the signature box size isn't big enough for the code for both.

Let me take a look. The forum software will let you make a sig pretty much as big as you want; it's our rules that set the limit.  Aside from 800 pixels wide, there's height limit of 140 pixels, to accommodate people using older systems, slow access and/or mobile devices.  But, as I say, the software allows bigger sigs.

I'll take a look at what's happening with your sig.

Betsy

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 10:04:26 pm »
    Have you actually created a reading bar?  On the author page, in addition to check the box, you need to click on the Reading Bar link which will take you to the "My Reading Page" er page and then you click on setup to add books.

Or, you can click on anyone else's reading bar, like mine, to go to your reading page, click on setup and add books.  Once it's populated, I think it should show up in your sig.  EDIT:  the code is in your sig, it's just that there is no image created of the books you've added.  Try to add some books and make sure you save the reading bar.

Betsy
    « Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 10:07:19 pm by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline AltMe

• WriterSanctum
    • Off the VS rocker.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 10:26:06 pm »
    Have you actually created a reading bar?  On the author page, in addition to check the box, you need to click on the Reading Bar link which will take you to the "My Reading Page" er page and then you click on setup to add books.

Err, no. Add another thing to my list of things missed.

Or, you can click on anyone else's reading bar, like mine, to go to your reading page, click on setup and add books.  Once it's populated, I think it should show up in your sig.  EDIT:  the code is in your sig, it's just that there is no image created of the books you've added.  Try to add some books and make sure you save the reading bar.

Added to my list of things to do.

Thanks for the help.
    Gone to WriterSanctum.

Offline AltMe

• WriterSanctum
    • Off the VS rocker.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 01:33:22 am »
    Added a reading list, regenerated the signature with the reader box ticked.

Zip.
    « Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:35:51 am by TimothyEllis »
    Gone to WriterSanctum.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 03:33:19 am »
    Hmmmm...  I think the fact that an empty .jpg file was created is confusing it; I'm looking at your author sig page and I can see the outline of the empty jpg file.  Normally that should draw the latest img created.

Let me try something be back...

Betsy

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 03:46:56 am »
    Actually, now that I've looked at your reading page--the reading bar used by the author sig tool just uses the "reading now" listing and it doesn't look like your reading page is showing anything under the "reading now" fields.  Those would be at the top five fields in the first section.  Did you add something to the first field in that section?

Betsy

Offline AltMe

• WriterSanctum
    • Off the VS rocker.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 03:52:06 am »
    No, I didn't. I'll try that.
    Gone to WriterSanctum.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #20 on: June 14, 2015, 04:00:00 am »
    Success!

Offline AltMe

• WriterSanctum
    • Off the VS rocker.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: June 14, 2015, 04:01:14 am »
    Thank You.

I still think it would be better if the reading and read list went underneath the written list.
    Gone to WriterSanctum.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #22 on: June 14, 2015, 04:15:44 am »
    Thank You.

I still think it would be better if the reading and read list went underneath the written list.

Glad it worked for you!

You could manually do that if you make both the reading bar and your covers half the size they are now, to stay within the 140pixel height limit we want for sigs.  I can help you do that if you want.

Betsy

Offline AltMe

• WriterSanctum
    • Off the VS rocker.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: June 14, 2015, 04:19:54 am »
    No, I don't think so. Having my books see-able is more important.

I'd rather you doubled the size of the signatures.  ;D
    Gone to WriterSanctum.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #24 on: June 14, 2015, 04:35:20 am »
    No, I don't think so. Having my books see-able is more important.

I'd rather you doubled the size of the signatures.  ;D
    :D

Wait, let me think about it...

*thinks*

No. :D

Seriously, though, having sigs at the size we have them is a compromise between allowing graphics in sigs (including advertising) and not allowing graphics at all.  The discussion is the most important thing here and we don't want the sigs to overwhelm that.  Readers on older systems, slower access and/or mobile devices have a hard time with the graphics as is, and even for members with newer systems, sigs that are too large distract.  This size seems to be a good compromise for most.

Betsy

KBoards.com

• Advertisement