Author Topic: How Do You Use Fiction Plot Outlines?  (Read 5071 times)  

Offline plotmistress

• View Profile
How Do You Use Fiction Plot Outlines?
« on: February 17, 2016, 12:49:16 am »
Hi Everyone,

My name is Bernie Alexander and I offer already Done-For-You Fiction Plot Outlines.  I specialize in the Romance and 'Cozy' Mystery genres. My plot outlines are great for eliminating writer's block, getting more ideas, and creating high-quality books faster. They can also be handed off to a ghostwriter for full book development.

I am currently working on my Yellow Page Ad and hope to have it finished before too long. If you'd like to see one of my plot outlines, just click on the link below.

Free Plot Outline: http://seetraxs.com/freeplotkb

5 Romance Fiction Plots Website: http://seetraxs.com/5plotskb

I am excited to be apart of this awesome group.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:50:29 pm by plotmistress »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Fluke

• View Profile
    Re: Done-For-You Fiction Plot Outlines
    « Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 02:01:08 am »
    Seriously? Are people really doing this? Buying outlines and then hiring someone to write the books? Brave new world indeed.  :o  :o

Offline KGorman

• Taichung, Taiwan
      • View Profile
      • KGorman.ca
    « Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 02:52:48 am »
    Yes, it's definitely not a new thing. I think it's been around the writing world since before the advent of the internet. I had a friend who sold several of her plots.

Offline jlstovall4

• MG and YA (Sci Fi)
      • View Profile
      • Y. A. Marks Official Website
    « Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 03:01:21 am »
    Yes, it's definitely not a new thing. I think it's been around the writing world since before the advent of the internet. I had a friend who sold several of her plots.

I'd think so too. Ghostwriters?

Offline Lauren P.

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 04:09:12 am »
    Seriously? Are people really doing this? Buying outlines and then hiring someone to write the books? Brave new world indeed.  :o  :o

I'm as stunned as you. I don't get it: how can you be a writer if you buy other people's outlines and hire someone to ghostwrite "your" book? What's the point? Where's the challenge of developing your own talent? Where's the passion in creating something you're proud of? Where's the fun in cheating?

Offline BWFoster78

• View Profile
      • My Official Author Website
    « Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 05:33:29 am »
    Creating the characters and the story is the funnest part of writing.

Second funnest part is having a really cool finished product to show off.

Now, the part in the middle ...

Brian W. Foster | Website | Newletter | Facebook

Out_there

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 07:36:23 am »
    If you can't even think up a plot, why are you writing? Do something else.

Offline Jessica R

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 07:48:45 am »
    Eh, I think it's kind of cool. If you just wanted to get some books out and weren't worried about creating original work from your heart and all that. Bang! Even with an outline writing a book is hard. And most of the books you come across are just a compilation of a bunch of ideas gathered from elsewhere anywhere. The originality comes in large part from the characters and execution. Just like being devil's advocate. :)

Jessica L. Randall

Offline Annette_g

• View Profile
      • Annette Gisby Author Page
    « Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 08:02:15 am »
    Ghostwriting has been around for years. Do you really think those celebrity autobiographies were written by the celebrity? ;)

Annette Gisby | website

Okey Dokey

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 08:03:32 am »
    How about selling the Romeo and Juliet plot?

If you're clever, you could just tinker with a few things and end up with West Side Story

Wow! Wouldn't that be great

Offline noirhvy

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 08:08:58 am »
    The strangest question I get when people hear I  write is "where do you get your ideas?" I have so many great ideas, plots, etc. run  through my brain I have to beat them off with a stick. But I guess some people are not like that. Why do people cheat at cards, sports, you name it? It is the nature f the humanoid beast.They want to become brain surgeons and astronauts -- and no later than this week.

Offline Shelley K

• Does things wrong.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 08:12:56 am »
    Some people write better to prompts, so a ready-made outline works for them. Who are you to tell them they're doing it wrong?

Offline plotmistress

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 11:08:42 am »
    Interesting comments!  As some have posted, plot outlines and ghostwriters have been around for a long time, and I don't think either is going anywhere soon.   

Many of the Kindle publishers, who make thousands of dollars a month, consistently, do so because they take advantage of helpful tools like these.  They are able to publish more quality books faster and keep the money coming in.  Whether or not they choose to have someone else help with the writing it totally their call, as the reader doesn't know the difference.

However, like any other product or service, it is only for those who see the value and want to take advantage, but is certainly is not for everyone.
    « Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 11:16:48 pm by plotmistress »

Offline Cheyanne

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 11:15:09 am »
    It's not the selling plots that weirds me out about this.. It's that at only $9, i'm guessing every single person who purchases will get the exact same plot. So now all the customers are buying and writing the same story, yes? That can't be good in the long run.

Offline jimbro

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 11:17:24 am »
    This is not for me: I have too much pride and too colossal an ego to use someone else's plot. 
    OTOH, how is this much different from getting plot ideas from reading books by other authors in your genre?

Offline Monique

• California
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 11:18:47 am »
    You can get a FREE Romance Fiction plot outline by clicking on the banner below my ad in the YP section.

I don't see a banner under your YP ad nor a way to get a free outline. I went to you site but all I see is WSO stuff.

Offline Ian Marks

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 11:40:37 am »
    If anyone's interested, I have a great one about a giant, man-eating shark, er, clownfish, that's menacing a small town off the East, er, West Coast. I'll let you have it cheap.
    - Ian

Offline David J Normoyle

• View Profile
      • David J Normoyle
    « Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 11:47:38 am »
    If anyone's interested, I have a great one about a giant, man-eating shark, er, clownfish, that's menacing a small town off the East, er, West Coast. I'll let you have it cheap.

Yes, seems anyone can watch a popular movie or read the book (or skip to wiki summary), write down the outline, then make their own version. Not that anyone's done that before, especially not about a young innocent virgin who meets this billionaire and...

David J. Normoyle | website | facebook

Offline Evenstar

• Here. Hare. Here.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 12:05:27 pm »
    I like writing so I'd never use a ghost writer, but I'd love to write cozy mystery yet can't for the life of me plot such a thing. So I can totally see why some people might be interested in a plot outline

Offline JE_Owen

• Montana
    • Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.
      • View Profile
      • Fantasy Author Jess E. Owen
    « Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 12:10:39 pm »
    It's not the selling plots that weirds me out about this.. It's that at only $9, i'm guessing every single person who purchases will get the exact same plot. So now all the customers are buying and writing the same story, yes? That can't be good in the long run.

Have you ever watched more than three Hallmark romance movies in a row? ;)

Offline JE_Owen

• Montana
    • Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.
      • View Profile
      • Fantasy Author Jess E. Owen
    « Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 12:12:00 pm »
    I like writing so I'd never use a ghost writer, but I'd love to write cozy mystery yet can't for the life of me plot such a thing. So I can totally see why some people might be interested in a plot outline

Also, this. It could help inspire people to figure out a successful launching point.

Offline RomanceWriter77

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 12:16:42 pm »

Yes. I believe you may have heard of James Patterson.

Offline spellscribe

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 12:48:56 pm »
    If I *knew* it was a quality source I'd do it, once. It'd be great to have a ready made breakdown of the pinch points and rising/falling action, which is something I struggle with a little. I also tend to write on the shorter side (60-70k) so I'd love the practice in fleshing out a longer story.

If it was a really tight, specific plot if probably change things. I'm bad at shoehorning. One that's a bit vaguer would probably suit me better.

Would I publish it? Yeah, if it turned out. I certainly wouldn't judge others for it, and I can see how a really prolific writer might find it a useful service, especially while they're still building up that speed.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Cozy Fantasy / Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy
    Amy R. Hopkins | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: February 17, 2016, 01:01:14 pm »
    Have you ever watched more than three Hallmark romance movies in a row? ;)

As a matter of fact....   I wrote this a while back on an imdb page for a Hallmark movie.

- Attractive main character newly engaged and supposedly happy? Check.
    - Attractive childhood friend who nobly refrains from coming between the couple? Check.
    - Attractive fiancee' who's spoiled and narrow-minded and careless of others? Check.

The first two butt heads and argue even while denying their feelings toward each other, and when the third character comes on scene, that person pushes buttons and pretty much highlights the differences between her/him and the Old Friend, making the first MC notice the two distinctly dissimilar personalities and decide which one he/she wants. (I use him/her, he/she because the roles can easily be switched between genders. And indeed it has.)

For each movie (book), simply change the names and occupations of the characters (and maybe the season or holiday if that's a theme) and-- voila!--they have a whole new movie (book).

;D

Free of charge, people.    8)
    Jena

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: February 17, 2016, 02:15:56 pm »
    I don't see a banner under your YP ad nor a way to get a free outline. I went to you site but all I see is WSO stuff.

I have to agree with Monique. It's WSO. "Powered by warriorplus.com", supposedly only one left! And an affiliate link that leads to a different site with the exact same stuff.

There's an image what is said to be some books with sales and pages read that don't look all that impressive to me, but I don't write romance so it may be the normal outcome for a series.

I think there could be a legitimate way to do this, but warrior forum stuff always makes me step back; you have to be really careful who you deal with. I'd be afraid I'd end up being sued because I put up a book that's too close to a bestselling work. True or not, that would be a huge hassle and very expensive to fight.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement