Author Topic: Vellum alternative: The Reedsy Book Editor: a new *free* formatting tool  (Read 2703 times)  

Offline RicardoFayet

• View Profile
    • Reedsy
As co-founder of Reedsy, I wanted to introduce you all to our brand new Reedsy Book Editor, and seek your feedback on it (I know, risky).

In a nutshell, it's an online, browser-based writing tool that allows authors to:
  • write, copy-paste, or import a document into the editor (import is coming in a month or two)
  • add images, scene breaks and end notes; move chapters around; set the front and back matter
  • export a clean ePub that can be turned into a flawless .mobi on Amazon afterwards
  • export a professionally typeset print-ready PDF file choice between 2 templates, many more coming.We've worked with the Ingram Spark team to make sure all our PDF files are perfectly compliant with their requirements.

More about all this on the book editor's landing page. Please note that we need to update some of the images on the landing page, which don't reflect what our books look like. I'd love to have your thoughts, both on the idea, and on the actual tool if you get to test it.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 05:39:39 AM by RicardoFayet »

Offline JalexM

• View Profile
Re: The Reedsy Book Editor: a new *free* formatting tool
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 10:46:08 AM »
Gave it a try yesterday. It's nice to use, only copied a few chapters, but for me it's held back by not able to change the chapter numbers. In my first book I have short breaks in between some chapters which I can't add in because of it. Also once the import feature is added I think it will be alot better.

Offline RicardoFayet

• View Profile
    • Reedsy
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 04:24:58 PM »
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I know about the chapter numbers we'll soon add an option to not display them. We'll also add scene breaks which could serve your purpose. And the import is coming in a month or two :)

Offline JuryDuty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 01:30:16 PM »
Wow--just wow! I just found this and am so impressed. I'd been planning to purchase Vellum, but this is an interesting alternative.

So here's what I'm wondering--how does the ePub file you export look once uploaded to Kindle Direct Publishing? Is it identical? Almost identical?

I highly recommend you be a little clearer on your website about this. After logging in I saw I could export to ePub or Mobi, or PDF, but it doesn't really indicate that this is creating an "Amazon KDP-ready" title.

Would love to hear your feedback. I'm speaking at a conference in a month on self-publishing and this may suddenly be a large focus of my talk. :)

Offline Cherise

• Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 02:05:39 PM »
How is yours any better than Draft2Digital's?

Offline BellaJames

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 05:28:00 AM »

This looks good and it's free which is a big bonus. Not trying to be a cheap old woman but I am saving up for an editor and proofreader.

Offline ADDavies

• Staffordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 02:57:54 PM »
I was looking at the Reedsy Book Editor and wondered if anyone from Kboards was using it. This is the most recent post I could find so thought I'd resurrect it in case there were PC users or Mac folk who can't afford Vellum.

https://reedsy.com/write-a-book

I just experimented with the editor (online only) by cut-pasting a novella into their editor. It exported a clean, professional ePub and I was able to successfully convert it to .mobi using Caliber (totally free).

Although I have to admit I still prefer Vellum, if I hadn't already bought that program and gotten so used to it, I'm sure I'd be using the Reedsy editor. It even has a print option, which I've yet to get into. I'll probably experiment a little shortly.

Downsides?

Only three templates for ebooks (which are somewhat customisable - but then Vellum is quite restrictive too).

Only 4 paperback sizes, none of which I use. But might be tempted in future. I use 5.25 x 8, but 5x8 and 5.5x8.5 isn't a million miles away.

Anyway, worth checking out.
Adam Park #5 : 100%

Offline RicardoFayet

• View Profile
    • Reedsy
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 05:39:16 AM »
Hey everyone! Sorry I haven't been more attentive to this thread. We've been working *a lot* on the Reedsy Book Editor this past year, mostly based on your feedback.
So here's what's new:
  • Drop caps are now available (and small caps will be soon)
  • You can hide chapter numbers if you want to
  • We added a romance template for both ebook and POD
The tool is still, and will remain, 100% free. It will remain browser based so you have nothing to download, and you can access it from any device. It exports to both EPUB and print-ready PDF. We don't export to .mobi, however we constantly check that our EPUBs look spotless when converted by KDP upon upload.

So here's my question: what would you like us to build next? We'll choose the next features based on how many of you let us know what they want here :)
  • Export to .mobi
  • Import from .doc
  • More available templates
  • More available trim sizes
  • Real-time collaboration with comments & track changes
  • Other stuff?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 11:46:32 AM by RicardoFayet »

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 08:22:34 AM »
Hey everyone! Sorry I haven't been more attentive to this thread. We've been working *a lot* on the Reedsy Book Editor this past year, mostly based on your feedback.
So here's what's new:
  • Drop caps are now available (and small caps will be soon)
  • You can hide chapter numbers if you want to
  • We added a romance template for both ebook and POD
The tool is still, and will remain, 100% free. It will remain browser based so you have nothing to download, and you can access it from any device. It exports to both EPUB and print-ready PDF. We don't export to .mobi, however we constantly check that our EPUBs look spotless when converted by KDP upon upload.

So here's my question: what would you like us to build next? We'll choose the next features based on how many of you let us know what they want here :)
  • Export to .mobi
  • More available templates
  • More available trim sizes
  • Real-time collaboration with comments & track changes
  • Other stuff?
Epubs convert perfectly well to Kindle (that's what I have normally uploaded), so I'm not worried about #1 unless you introduce features that get lost in the conversion process.

More templates would probably be the most important, though trim sizes could be, depending on what you already offer. I couldn't tell easily from a quick look at the site. The site makes it appear real-time collaboration is already in place, so perhaps I'm misunderstanding something.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
  • I write high octane thrillers.
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Action Thrillers from Alan Petersen
When importing a word doc manuscript into Reedsy it goes on your server?

Alan Petersen | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter | Podcast

AnmaNatsu

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 09:07:23 AM »

Importing from an existing file.  As far as I can tell, this feature is still not available.  I'd love to give it a try, but not when it means copy/pasting 30+ chapters one by one.  :-/ 

Offline RicardoFayet

• View Profile
    • Reedsy
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 11:47:18 AM »
Importing from an existing file.  As far as I can tell, this feature is still not available.  I'd love to give it a try, but not when it means copy/pasting 30+ chapters one by one.  :-/

Ah yes, that makes sense edited my previous message to add it to the list. We're definitely working on it :)

AnmaNatsu

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 11:51:02 AM »
Ah yes, that makes sense edited my previous message to add it to the list. We're definitely working on it :)

Yay! :-)

Beyond that, more templates would be a big plus :-D