Author Topic: What do you use for scene breaks?  (Read 4658 times)  

Offline Ceinwen

• Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: What do you use for scene breaks?
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2016, 02:04:21 am »
I've used both * * * and ~. If I had a great relevant graphic, I'd go with that.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline George Saoulidis

• Greece
      • View Profile
      • Become a mythographer
    Re: What do you use for chapter breaks?
    « Reply #26 on: February 28, 2016, 02:31:05 am »
    It's the kind of thing that might go wrong: Amazon changed the font, so now instead of little stars you have little swastikas...
    That can't happen. Man in the high castle has us all affected I think.

To the OP, nothing. Whatever Scrivener puts in.

Offline PJ_Cherubino

• View Profile
      • P.J. Cherubino Blog
    Re: What do you use for chapter breaks?
    « Reply #27 on: February 28, 2016, 02:43:40 am »
    This.

Lol...  Yeah, that would suck.

The Nazi Swastika is bad. The original swastika is an ancient symbol common to many Asian spiritual traditions. The original swastika is a sun symbol representing divine energy and/or the cycles and patterns of life.

When you look at the Nazi symbol, you will notice that its direction is inverted and it is literally skewed from the most common usage of the icon. The Nazis appropriated and perverted one of the most ancient, powerful and sacred symbols discovered by humanity. You can add this to the exhaustive list of Nazi crimes.

*pushes glasses up nose*

P. Joseph Cherubino | PJC Blog | PJC On Facebook | PJC on Twitter

Offline m.a. petterson

• View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: February 28, 2016, 07:35:01 am »
    Once I discovered how relatively simple it is, I insert theme-related gifs to break scenes.

I agree with Annie B that it adds a subtle dose of professionalism.

m.a. petterson | website

Offline JumpingShip

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: February 28, 2016, 07:51:35 am »
    I tell Scrivener to insert four asterisks separated by spaces when compiling:

Just a note on using images instead of text characters - be careful. I've read ebooks where the image wasn't transparent and each little swirly thing was in a white box on my buff page background in the Android Kindle app.  :o O, the humanity!

(It actually didn't bug me that much reading someone else's book, but it would bother me a LOT if that were the case with my own.)

A few years ago, I tried to use some image for my scene breaks. It didn't work and what was left was a little picture of a camera, I guess as a stand in to show that there was supposed to be an image. However, since my book was about a magic camera, I was kind of pleased with that 'error' image. lol. Eventually, I fixed it with the asterisks, but a few weeks ago, I updated the book with Vellum. Love how pretty they look now. (haven't re-uploaded all of my books yet, but I'm getting there.)

Offline My Dog's Servant

• View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: February 28, 2016, 11:04:34 am »
    I read a lot of books where author's have used special scene breaks.  They are always images, not decorative text, and they're not transparent...and that means they ALWAYS show up as a white box on my beige screen.  I guess most readers do black on white, so they look great. For any reader like me who uses the beige screen, they are extremely annoying little glares of white and always throw me out of the flow of the story.  I hate them.

To me, screen breaks should be easy transitions, something just barely "visible" to the reader's awareness, a cue, not a distraction. 

Print books are less annoying because you don't get the white glare, but I still find them visually distracting.  Why would I want to use anything that drags a reader out of the story?

I'll add....it's the same problem for decorative embellishments on chapter headings, titles, and the like (the non-transparent image). And don't forget that some readers like white on black text, which may affect the visibility of these items.
    « Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 11:10:21 am by My Dog's Servant »

Offline JE_Owen

• Montana
    • Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.
      • View Profile
      • Fantasy Author Jess E. Owen
    « Reply #31 on: February 28, 2016, 11:10:57 am »
    When writing I use a #, then the awesome woman who formats my books turns them into feathers. It's magical. :D

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: February 28, 2016, 11:15:13 am »
    Ah, not chapters but scene breaks. I've always used just an extra line, no image. Also both the first paragraph of a new scene and of a new chapter have no indent and the first few words in small caps (when I started publishing and small caps weren't available, I just used solid caps. For my next story I'm going to use Vellum, which offers several images for scene breaks, and I think I'm going to use their tapered line.

The problem with just a blank line is that if your scene happens to end a the end of a page, there's no indication of a break.

I think the pros use a separator only in that situation (blank line otherwise), but again, that seems like too much hassle, and I just use the three asterisks all the time.

Al Macy | Web Site

Offline Victoria LK

• Vero Beach, FL
    • a good book has no true ending, just possibilities
      • View Profile
      • Victoria LK Williams
    « Reply #33 on: February 28, 2016, 12:32:22 pm »
    Usually * * * but sometimes I'll use =^.^=
    I love this!  It would totally work in one of my series. Now if someone knew how to do seashells or dog paws...
    Victoria LK Williams | Victoria LK Williams

Offline Gone Girl

• View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: February 28, 2016, 05:13:39 pm »
    We miss you, Harvey Chute.
    « Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 10:47:31 am by CarlaBaku »
    I do not accept or consent to KBoards/VerticalScope's 2018 revision of their TOS. Dated: September 22, 2018.

Offline Kristal Shaff

• Iowa
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #35 on: February 28, 2016, 05:55:35 pm »
    That Vellum looks nice.... too bad I don't have MAC.

I use a little dude that I found in symbols in Word. Kind of a little round circle with four short arms that radiate out diagonally.

It's simple and aesthetically pleasing to me, and does play well with Kindle formatting. I does not, however, play well with Kboards, otherwise I'd trot it out for show and tell.

I am hovering on the brink of buying a little Mac notebook just so I can get Vellum and use even more valuable writing time on formatting. Because ART.  :P

Kristal Shaff | Website | Facebook | Twitter

KBoards.com

• Advertisement