Author Topic: Help! Has anyone had issues with KK available space??  (Read 1273 times)  

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
  • <'///>< Member #54
    • View Profile
Help! Has anyone had issues with KK available space??
« on: April 18, 2010, 06:44:51 am »
I'm hoping that my KK isn't malfunctioning on me.  First, let me say I did finally need a replacement battery a little over a month ago - my original battery lasted 16 months for me. So, my battery is only one month old.

But now, I'm having flaky things happening with my "available space" numbers.  I'm always buying more books than I read thanks to bargain and free books... so I always have an available space issue and often have to store books at Amazon to make more room on my Kindle for new books I want to read.  I had made some room by reading and deleting books, so I turned on Whispernet yesterday to download my latest acquisitions.  I got the message that my download didn't complete because I had run out of room yet again... and my KK showed that I had 1 MB of space left.  I finished reading another book last night and deleted it and my KK showed I had 3 MB of space available.  This morning, it was showing that I have 25 MB of space when nothing happened with my KK overnight... no deletions... no usage.  I NEVER have 25 MB of space!

Has anyone else experienced this problem??  I did turn on Whispernet this morning to see if it would download the rest of my books (to see if the additional space was actually there) and it was successful.  And now, it's saying I still have 12 MB of available space left.  Any idea what is going on??  Thanks!

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)
Books let us into their souls and lay open to us the secrets of our own. ~ William Hazl

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline drenee

• West Virginia
    • Member 527
      • View Profile
    Re: Help! Has anyone had issues with KK available space??
    « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 06:52:35 am »
    Every so often I get an email about a storage issue with my daughter's KK. 
    At Thanksgiving I showed her how to move as much as you could to her SD card.
    I have only received the email one time since then. 
    The amount of available MB keeps changing is very curious.  I hope someone else
    has an answser for you.
    deb
    Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life.

WwF  DRA60
    Miss you, Dona, Jeff and Harvey.

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 07:14:26 am »
    I did have that happen with my KK but never thought much about it just moved everything to the SD card, and then had to get a new K2i and no problems since then.
    Dona
    on the shores of Lake Chapala, Mexico

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 07:16:50 am »
    Have you tried resetting it?  (Taking the cover off the back and pushing a paperclip end in the hole on the back?)  Make sure you are fully charged or plugged in when you do this.

It also could be that a book (or books) was causing indexing problems for some time and you finally deleted it.

Betsy
    « Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 07:18:36 am by Betsy the Quilter »
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline KayakerNC

• Eastern North Carolina
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 10:15:08 am »
    4 Gig SD card for your KK works wonders! ;D
    Nelson
    Eastern North Carolina

Kindle PW

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 10:35:45 am »
    Update:  I just finished reading a short book that I got for free some time ago.  Before I started it early this morning, I checked my settings and it was telling me that I had 12 MB of available space.  I read the book, just deleted it from my content manager so it would be removed from my KK and stored at Amazon... and now went and checked my available space and it is saying I now have 0 MB.  When I went to the next book that I'm going to read, I got the message telling you that you have no available space and won't be able to take notes etc.  This is getting more crazy by the minute.
         I have an SD card but have never been able to use it effectively.  My battery doesn't even last a day when I have my SD card in.  So, the only way I've been able to use the SD card is to only have it in long enough to transfer a book I want to read onto my Kindle.
         I'm going to try the hard reset (taking off the back and using my magic paper clip) and will see if that helps.
         Thanks, everyone, for your help!!  I may just have to delete a whole lot more books off my KK giving me plenty of room and then just ignore the available space numbers.  I was just afraid that my KK was malfunctioning on me and maybe he was on his way to Kindle heaven.  I'm hoping he'll last me at least until the next generation of Kindles comes out.  I don't want to buy a K2 at this point.....

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)
    Books let us into their souls and lay open to us the secrets of our own. ~ William Hazl

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 11:21:49 am »
    You can transfer your books to your computer, all of them.  I have a KK computer folder of books and a K2i folder.  I know, I know the KK books won't do me any good on the K2i unless I also have them on Amazon Archives, but at least I have a list of all of my books, free and paid for.  I just bet the magic clip will work, or if no you might pm Verena and ask her advise since she doesn't appear to be on the boards today.

Good luck!
    Dona

Offline esper_d

• fun k accessories
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 08:10:18 pm »
    Yes. But then I erased all the songs on there and it freed up again.

Offline MAGreen

• Okinawa, Japan
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 08:13:41 pm »
    With the SD card you really need to plug it in over night after transfering books to it, sometimes longer if you transfer a lot of books. When you move them they have be re-indexed so it drains the battery fast. If you make the transfer and then just let sleep pluged in over night, it should be fine.
    K1-Primary, soon to be MIL's
    K1-Daughter's Kindle (Kylie)
    K1-Best Friend's Kindle (Courtney)
    DX-Grandpa's DX
    K3-My New Best Friend
    K3-My Other New Best Friend!
    Inmate #1451

Online Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 05:59:00 am »
    I have 52 pages on my KK home screen. . . .many many many of the books listed are on my SD card. . . . .I move more periodically as the main memory fills.  And I delete when I'm done reading and make a note at Amazon ("your collection" on "your account" page) about the book.  Finished several on the weekend that I have to do that with, and have a bunch waiting to come down.  I'll likely turn on WN and plug it in overnight tonight after moving some books to SD. . . .the card I have in is 8Gb and it's never been out since I first put it in.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Xopher

• East Tennessee
      • View Profile
      • Apodidae
    « Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 06:25:51 am »
    I think part of the process is the indexing that goes on behind the scenes. If the Kindle works like most computers, it is creating files to help sort things while it generates the index. The more ebooks on your Kindle, the larger the index and sort files will be, especially during the indexing process.

The temporary sorting files should delete once the index file has been created, so the free space should go up again. This could be the reason for watching free space fluctuate.
    - Unique memory game for Kindle Fire, Fire HD, Android, and PlayBook.

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 07:09:09 am »
    After trying a hard reset.... I decided to just delete a LOT of books from my content manager and "store" them at Amazon.  After completing that... my settings showed that I now had 65 MB of space available.  I did nothing else other than reading on my KK last night, and when I went to bed it said I then had 42 MB of space - about 4 hrs after the 65MB setting.  Early this morning, it said I have 60 MB.  It's just all over the place and changes every few hours... sometimes drastically.  Since it doesn't affect my reading, I'm just going to keep a lot more of my books at Amazon and not have them on my Kindle until I'm ready to read them.  Hopefully, then it won't be an issue.
         I'm amazed at people being able to leave their SD cards in their KK.  I've never been able to have it in for even an hour or my battery would be toast.  Having Whispernet on has the same results so I only turn it on long enough to download my books... and then I usually need to charge my battery when I'm done.  Most of that is probably because we're in a very remote area that technically isn't even supposed to get Whispernet.
         I really appreciate everyone's help on this!! 

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 09:25:46 am »
    It also could be your "new" battery.  Have you talked to CS about this yet?  This just isn't right!
    Dona

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 01:47:45 pm »
    It also could be your "new" battery.  Have you talked to CS about this yet?  This just isn't right!

Actually, I did finally call CS also.  There were a couple of cheaper replacement batteries for sale at Amazon, but I decided to spend more money and buy the Amazon one since my original battery from them was so excellent.  I've used my replacement battery for about two weeks now and, fully charged, I'm only getting about 8 hours of reading time before it goes down to 1/2 charged.  With my original battery, when I had it fully charged, I could read for a full week before it got to the 1/2 charged point.  They're going to send me another replacement battery soon.  I don't think that my available space issue could be related to a possibly defective battery..... but I don't want to have to charge my battery daily so it needs to be replaced no matter what.  Once again, Amazon CS is the very best!!  That's definitely part of the reason why I spent the extra money for the Amazon replacement battery.  The reviews on that battery were very mixed.... some people have gotten excellent ones.... others have gotten "duds".  Guess I got one of the "duds".

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 06:39:57 am »
    fingers crossed for you!
    Dona

Offline loca

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 09:55:01 am »
    Actually, I did finally call CS also.  There were a couple of cheaper replacement batteries for sale at Amazon, but I decided to spend more money and buy the Amazon one since my original battery from them was so excellent.  I've used my replacement battery for about two weeks now and, fully charged, I'm only getting about 8 hours of reading time before it goes down to 1/2 charged.  With my original battery, when I had it fully charged, I could read for a full week before it got to the 1/2 charged point.  They're going to send me another replacement battery soon.  I don't think that my available space issue could be related to a possibly defective battery..... but I don't want to have to charge my battery daily so it needs to be replaced no matter what.  Once again, Amazon CS is the very best!!  That's definitely part of the reason why I spent the extra money for the Amazon replacement battery.  The reviews on that battery were very mixed.... some people have gotten excellent ones.... others have gotten "duds".  Guess I got one of the "duds".

HOpefully this one gets worked out.

Offline happyblob

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 11:16:19 am »
    Duds or not it's very unlikely that the space issue is caused by defective battery. I hope you get it sorted out before the Kindle sickness kicks in.

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 02:30:58 pm »
    I had a memory problem with my K1 where no matter how much I deleted and/or moved to SD card, I couldn't free up "available memory" on the Kindle.  I posted about it here - basically connected my Kindle to the computer and deleted ALL files in the "Search Index" folder.  That freed up my memory.  Has something to do with corrupt indexing files.  The details of what I did are here:
    https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,12985.msg249494.html#msg249494
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, 2nd & 1st gen Oasis, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini for PDFs

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 09:40:11 am »
    Thanks so much for the info, Meemo!  So far, I'm able to free up available memory by deleting books and sending them to camp @ Amazon.  It has just been a crazy thing that in a couple of hours time, with no activity other than reading on my KK.... my available space will vary by easily 20 MB or so.  Since I'm also having trouble with the new replacement battery that I put in a couple of weeks ago, Amazon has sent me a replacement for the replacement so I'll try the new battery and see if a full charge lasts more than a day.  I don't expect it to affect my available space issue.... but I guess I'll try to solve one problem at a time. I love my KK so much that I've never really thought too much about replacing it..... but I have to admit that a Kindle with a capacity of 1,500 or 3,500 books sounds very nice right now.  I'm just one of those people who likes to have my "library" on my device..... especially since Whispernet and downloading are "if-y" where I live.

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement