Author Topic: Opinions on the few legitimately effective non-fiction promo sites...  (Read 4892 times)  

Offline mmandolin

• Cambridge, Massachusetts
  • Just a monkey with a pipe...
    • View Profile
Hi all,

While there's a ton of great analysis of promo sites on Kboards, only a small percentage of that discussion revolves around paid non-fiction promos.

Even the most successful non-fiction writers have a hard time figuring out what promo sites work well in 2016: http://authority.pub/asp-13-paid-ads-for-books-how-to-test-them-in-2016/ (click that link if you're a non-fiction writer, btw)

While there are dozens of paid promo sites that will get your non-fiction book an extra 3-15 sales at 99 cents, the vast majority of them are overpriced and rather ineffective (except for during an initial launch, when it's probably worth overpaying for a few more downloads each day.)

Based upon my experiences over the last year, I though I'd give my 80/20 analysis of which non-fiction promo sites currently are outstanding - cause there ain't many, no matter what you've heard.

Here, in my opinion, are the few sites that actually yield big results and are certainly worth their cost:

- BookBub (duh)

- Buck Books

- ENT

- Robin Reads

- Books Butterfly (can depend on your package)

And...that's it. BookBub is a no-brainer, but these other sites can consistently provide your book with 50+ downloads, and sometimes well over 100 on a single day.

Curious of other non-fiction writer's opinions, and if I'm forgetting any promos sites that can deliver excellent results like these. Thanks.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Joe Bailey

• The mind is the first mover
      • View Profile
    Re: Opinions on the few legitimately effective non-fiction promo sites...
    « Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 03:51:33 pm »
    This is a subject I would love to hear more about!

Bookmarked.

Thanks for starting the discussion.

Joe Bailey

Offline TheLemontree

• New Zealand
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 06:36:40 pm »
    Following

Stacey Wilson | Kombucha Research

Offline CaraS.

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 06:46:08 pm »
    This may seem dumb, but I can't find a way to get past the initial sign up on Buck Books. Can anyone provide a link to the author promo  page?  I  have an ad with Digital Book Today coming up for a non-fiction book, will try to post my results mid-March. I have had very good results with their fiction ads, usually two week runs.

Offline mmandolin

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 07:27:45 pm »
    This may seem dumb, but I can't find a way to get past the initial sign up on Buck Books. Can anyone provide a link to the author promo  page?  I  have an ad with Digital Book Today coming up for a non-fiction book, will try to post my results mid-March. I have had very good results with their fiction ads, usually two week runs.
    Buck Books is pretty selective and gives preference to writers who have used Archangel Ink's services (ie editing, cover, layout, audiobook production.) The best thing is to contact them. I can vouch for Archangel Ink's cover and audiobook services, they're excellent.

Offline celadon

• Dogpatch
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 08:22:36 pm »
    Books Butterfly did wonderfully for me.

I recall that Genre Pulse was pretty good too. I have a promo coming up in about a month, and I think I'll stick with just those two, or maybe a few others, but mostly those two.

My books have few or no reviews, so that disqualifies me from some of the promo sites.

I'm bookmarking this thread for more info too! :)

Offline BlueGen

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 02:29:42 am »
    I've had great results every time from Bargainbooksy. It's my favourite promo service after ENT.

I have given up on trying for a Bookbub.

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 05:59:01 am »
    Hi all,

While there's a ton of great analysis of promo sites on Kboards, only a small percentage of that discussion revolves around paid non-fiction promos.

Even the most successful non-fiction writers have a hard time figuring out what promo sites work well in 2016: http://authority.pub/asp-13-paid-ads-for-books-how-to-test-them-in-2016/ (click that link if you're a non-fiction writer, btw)

While there are dozens of paid promo sites that will get your non-fiction book an extra 3-15 sales at 99 cents, the vast majority of them are overpriced and rather ineffective (except for during an initial launch, when it's probably worth overpaying for a few more downloads each day.)

Based upon my experiences over the last year, I though I'd give my 80/20 analysis of which non-fiction promo sites currently are outstanding - cause there ain't many, no matter what you've heard.

Here, in my opinion, are the few sites that actually yield big results and are certainly worth their cost:

- BookBub (duh)

- Buck Books

- ENT

- Robin Reads

- Books Butterfly (can depend on your package)

And...that's it. BookBub is a no-brainer, but these other sites can consistently provide your book with 50+ downloads, and sometimes well over 100 on a single day.

Curious of other non-fiction writer's opinions, and if I'm forgetting any promos sites that can deliver excellent results like these. Thanks.

Do these sites (or any other sites) have specific targeting available?  Many non-fiction books deal with niche topics (history of ancient Sumeria, handmade pottery, etc.), so general promotions won't work.  I'd like to find sites which can target a specific audience.
    Jena

Offline mmandolin

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 06:42:54 am »
    I've had great results every time from Bargainbooksy. It's my favourite promo service after ENT.

I have given up on trying for a Bookbub.

I have found Bargain Booksy usually yields an additional 10-25 downloads for me. Definitely not bad, but not great, either. I definitely will continue to use Booksy for launches, but it's not in the same league as ENT or Buck Books if you're trying to "prime the pump" for a book that's already been out for a while.

Do these sites (or any other sites) have specific targeting available?  Many non-fiction books deal with niche topics (history of ancient Sumeria, handmade pottery, etc.), so general promotions won't work.  I'd like to find sites which can target a specific audience.

No sites I mentioned get very niche specific to my knowledge.

Offline mmandolin

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 10:28:48 am »
    Quick update: I've ran a few non-fiction promos in the past month, and thought I'd share my thoughts.

Bargain Booksy has both a "Self-Help" & general "Non-Fiction" option. The self-help option seems to yield more results (if your book is self-help oriented.) It's also slightly more expensive, but probably worth it. I'd put my self-help Booksy promo on par with my recent Robin Reads promo. I think I was overrating Robin Reads before; it doesn't consistently yield big results. But's it's still worth the cost, in my opinion.

Again, an approximate ranking of the best non-fiction promos sites:

1.  BookBub (expensive but almost always worthwhile)

2.  Buck Books (will probably get your book 50+ downloads)

3.  ENT (will probably get your book 50+ downloads, needs to be booked well in advance)

4.  Books Butterfly (Abhi is super nice and always produces good results for the price)

5.  Bargain Booksy (expect 20+ downloads)

6.  Robin Reads (expect 20+ downloads)

Any other non-fiction promo sites that consistently yield 20+ sales and aren't grossly overpriced? These are all I know of. Cheers  ;)

Offline GwynnEWhite

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Gwynn White Author
    « Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 11:08:40 am »
    I had success with BookSends and FKBT. Genre Pulse is another that works for non-fiction.
    High-octane steampunk fantasy with a dash of romance and intrigue.
    Gwynn White | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline mmandolin

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 11:31:13 am »
    I had success with BookSends and FKBT. Genre Pulse is another that works for non-fiction.

Those promo sites can consistently get you 20+ sales for a non-fiction book? I'm a bit skeptical.

FKBT has not accepted me before because he was afraid of lack of results (while I got good results with the same book from the aforementioned sites.)

Genre Pulse seems pretty hit and miss, at least in my experience and from what I've heard. 

I believe BookSends is somehow associated with Books Butterfly. I'd rather use Books Butterfly directly.

Offline GwynnEWhite

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Gwynn White Author
    « Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 11:49:49 am »
    My non-fiction is a memoir and I've had 450 sales on a 99c KCD via Booksends.

Offline mmandolin

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 12:00:28 pm »
    My non-fiction is a memoir and I've had 450 sales on a 99c KCD via Booksends.
    That's a phenomenal number. Will have to give Booksends a go again.

Did you have any other promos running simultaneously?

Offline GwynnEWhite

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Gwynn White Author
    « Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 12:20:18 pm »
    I generally stack my KCD and I generally use the following edited for my memoir:
    Genre Pulse
    Fkbt
    Booksends
    Books butterfly
    Ent
    Bargainbooksy

These sites have always given me good returns. I have sold up to 900 downloads staking those.

Offline mmandolin

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 12:32:28 pm »
    I generally stack my KCD and I generally use the following edited for my memoir:
    Genre Pulse
    Fkbt
    Booksends
    Books butterfly
    Ent
    Bargainbooksy

These sites have always given me good returns. I have sold up to 900 downloads staking those.

Excellent info, thanks. Those are some great numbers!

I would imagine memoirs sell better than most non-fiction genres.

Offline GwynnEWhite

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Gwynn White Author
    « Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 01:30:23 pm »
    Excellent info, thanks. Those are some great numbers!

I would imagine memoirs sell better than most non-fiction genres.

Memoirs do have a broader appeal, I will admit,  than a very targeted self-help. But I still think it is worth staking.

Offline Antara Mann

• #Universe
    • The magic is within you.
      • View Profile
      • Antara - dare to be different
    « Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 07:57:18 am »
    Memoirs do have a broader appeal, I will admit,  than a very targeted self-help. But I still think it is worth staking.
    Astonishing results! 900 sales? That's phenomenal.

Offline vick_s

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: April 19, 2016, 01:19:30 am »
    https://www.kboards.com/Smileys/solo/smiley.gif Very nice information! - was looking for book promotion sites for non-fiction. Thanks.

mmandolin - are all results on the 99 cents price point? I think the results will not be equally encouraging on higher prices?
    Vick S

Offline mmandolin

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 06:45:55 am »
    mmandolin - are all results on the 99 cents price point? I think the results will not be equally encouraging on higher prices?

Yeah, exactly, all results are assuming book is priced at 99 cents.

I still think higher priced promos (i.e. $1.99 - $4.99) are not worthwhile. Unless it's a $1.99 BookBub promo. Cheers.

Offline John Dwyer

• Ireland
    • John Dwyer
      • View Profile
      • John Dwyer Books
    Bargainbooksy have now added even more non-fiction genres including travel - very exciting! https://www.bargainbooksy.com/sell-more-books/
    IMO, they offer the most fine-tuned promotion categories around. I've booked a promotion with them for the end of May and will be very interested to see if this new category yields better results that others did.

Praise for High Road to Tibet:
    John Dwyer might be just the ticket to fill [Michael] Palin's well worn shoes. - HungryFeet.com
    You [John Dwyer] really do give an authentic feeling of the contrasting atmospheres as you move from place to place." - Dervla Murphy, international best-selling travel author

Praise for Klondike House:
    "The author has a wonderful ability to engage the reader and draw them into the past alongside him" - John Dolan, Evening Echo

Offline mmandolin

• View Profile
    Bargainbooksy have now added even more non-fiction genres including travel - very exciting! https://www.bargainbooksy.com/sell-more-books/
    IMO, they offer the most fine-tuned promotion categories around. I've booked a promotion with them for the end of May and will be very interested to see if this new category yields better results that others did.

Interesting. Thanks for the update, John!

Not to be a total downer about Bargain Booksy - but in my experiences they're still pretty blah for non-fiction.

Obviously, it's genre dependent - a cookbook is very different than a travel memoir, which is very different than a self-help book - but I'm not all that impressed with them. I know I wrote something semi-positive about Bargain Booksy a few months ago...I retract that.  ;)

I've ran a few promos with them since, with relatively poor results. In my opinion Bub, Buck, ENT, BookSends, Books Butterfly & Robin Reads are all better promos options for non-fiction.

Offline John Dwyer

• Ireland
    • John Dwyer
      • View Profile
      • John Dwyer Books
    Interesting. Thanks for the update, John!

Not to be a total downer about Bargain Booksy - but in my experiences they're still pretty blah for non-fiction.

Obviously, it's genre dependent - a cookbook is very different than a travel memoir, which is very different than a self-help book - but I'm not all that impressed with them. I know I wrote something semi-positive about Bargain Booksy a few months ago...I retract that.  ;)

I've ran a few promos with them since, with relatively poor results. In my opinion Bub, Buck, ENT, BookSends, Books Butterfly & Robin Reads are all better promos options for non-fiction.

No bother Tim! At this stage, I've learned to be pessimistic about book promotions :-) If they do better than I thought, great! I've also booked Robin Reads as part of my first stacked promotion attempt. Will be very interesting to see the results. I'd be happy to share if anyone's interested. I've learned so much from this forum, I'd be delighted to give something back.

Praise for High Road to Tibet:
    John Dwyer might be just the ticket to fill [Michael] Palin's well worn shoes. - HungryFeet.com
    You [John Dwyer] really do give an authentic feeling of the contrasting atmospheres as you move from place to place." - Dervla Murphy, international best-selling travel author

Praise for Klondike House:
    "The author has a wonderful ability to engage the reader and draw them into the past alongside him" - John Dolan, Evening Echo

Offline mmandolin

• View Profile
    Quick observation: most of these non-fiction promo sites (except Bub) seem to be performing worse than 6 months ago. Obviously, everyone's situation/book is different etc...

But buyer beware.  ;)

Offline Kyla S

• North Georgia
      • View Profile
    Following

Kyla Stone | Facebook

KBoards.com

• Advertisement