Kindle Forum banner

The End is Nigh. Maybe not, but it could be! / Used Ebooks? (MERGED)

8K views 74 replies 42 participants last post by  KeenToWrite 
#1 ·
A keen-eyed author noticed the addition of used prices to ebooks. It's not on the product pages and is probably a glitch or something unrelated, but if you've been looking for something to panic over and just haven't found the right thing yet, give this a try! :p

See less See more
#4 ·
I saw that last time someone mentioned used ebooks. As long as it links to the right page, all is fine.

#9 ·
This issue actually came up three years ago. When it was announced Amazon bought the patent for selling used e-books

http://the-digital-reader.com/2013/02/21/used-ebooks-101/

I think the speculation at that time was, it was something that would only be for really expensive text books and manuals. Not for fiction. But there was a bit of a panic when it was announced.

Are these two things related. Who knows?

Can Amazon do whatever they heck they want to now that there's no real competition?

They sure as heck can.

But in the end... I think this is a glitch. I don't see how they could turn a profit with used e-books. It would devalue their entire e-book catalog.

#11 ·
Monique said:
I really don't think used ebooks are imminent, but I'm not sure what you mean by the above.
What I meant is that when you click on that link, it doesn't take you to some page with used&new listings like it does with paperbacks. It just redirects to your Kindle edition page, which is good.

#17 ·
I find interesting because readers don't own ebooks but licensed them.  So,  who holds the "master license"? Authors/Publishers? And who dictates how much that license can be resold for? Amazon?

I have so many questions but will wait to see how this plays out.

#18 ·
#20 ·
That has been there forever. It's just about paperbacks etc. I really wouldn't worry about. Amazon isn't stupid and the class action lawsuit that would drop on them so fast from trying to sell a licensed product like an ebook as a used thing would be epic.

#21 ·
Annie B said:
That has been there forever. It's just about paperbacks etc. I really wouldn't worry about. Amazon isn't stupid and the class action lawsuit that would drop on them so fast from trying to sell a licensed product like an ebook as a used thing would be epic.
Except it hasn't been there forever on ebooks. That part *is* new.

I'm not worried, just having some fun. I do think, however, at some point, used ebooks will be a thing.

G
#22 ·
I noticed the "new and used" buying option for e-book on my book page about 2 weeks ago. When you click the link it takes you back to the kindle edition.

I'm sure it's a sign of the coming apocalypse. I'm stocking up on vodka and toilet paper...  ;)

#24 ·
Monie said:
I find interesting because readers don't own ebooks but licensed them. So, who holds the "master license"? Authors/Publishers? And who dictates how much that license can be resold for? Amazon?

I have so many questions but will wait to see how this plays out.
I believe, the license holder would be the author for self-publishers and the publishing company for traditionally published authors.

If Amazon were considering rolling this out (this might be an early-early beta-test), we would have to be informed as only we (the self-publishers) could enroll and name our price for resell.

I'm not worried, just curious. Waiting to see what happens next.

#25 ·
There are so many books on Amazon already, maybe they figure they don't need any more. They can just keep selling and reselling the same 'used' ebooks forever, and all the money stays in house.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.