Author Topic: Can you write a good book in 21 days? I'm about to find out. Destroyer is live.  (Read 29693 times)  

Offline Chris Fox

• Mill Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • Chris Fox Writes
 :)Last month I successfully completed my 21 Day Novel Challenge. The rules were simple. I had to write, and edit, a full length novel in 21 days. Quite a few people started challenges of their own, and hundreds of thousands of words were written (or in Jim's case are still being written). But here's the thing. My challenge wasn't just about writing. My challenge was also about selling.

When I started this process I was very clear that I was writing Destroyer to market. Part of the challenge was how well this book would sell, and I made the bold claim that the book would stay sticky in the top #10,000. What's more, I hoped it would crack the top #1,000 at launch. This is for an untested pen name, in a genre I have never written before. None of my books have ever cracked the top #1,000, either. I've gotten close, but #1,152 is still my best ever.

This morning, that test began officially. Destroyer is now live.

Over the next 30 days I will be documenting all the tactics I'm using to launch it. Every Wednesday I'll be putting out a video talking about what choices I made, and why I made them. I'm also doing screencasts that dissect the Amazon sales page, Mailchimp metrics, and other launch related tools I think newer authors are curious about. I'm a visual learner, so my goal is to provide something that will help people like me.

For those who'd prefer a written version I'll be tracking that here. I'm going to include rank data and sales info, so you can see how the book tracks for the entire first month. I'm an open book about this entire process, so please feel free to ask any questions you'd like. If you're following the videos and there's an area you want me to screen cast let me know, I'm happy to do that.

Either way, thanks for being part of the journey. I'll be honest. I was a little terrified when I quit my cushy startup job to write for a living. Destroyer is my first major launch as a full time author, and making it public has been incredibly rewarding. We're part of such an encouraging community, and it's humbling to see us all rally behind people like Kevin, Jim and the others running challenges.

Thank you, Kboards.

Week 1- Pricing, Pre-orders, & Kindle Unlimited
Week 2- Mailchimp & Email List Segmentation
Week 3- Facebook & YouTube Ads
Week 4- Results

Edited.  PM me if you have any questions.  --Betsy/KB Mod
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 07:19:38 am by Chris Fox »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Lydniz

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Credentials
    Best of luck, Chris. I'll be watching with interest!

Offline X. Aratare

• View Profile
      • Raythe Reign
    Chris - you're incredibly inspiring!  Watching you is demystifying all of this and making me feel like I can take control of book launches rather than just putting them up and then doing nothing else ... Yeah, crazy, I know.  Looking forward to all of your videos and updates!

Offline aimeeeasterling

• View Profile
    I just finished reading your book Write to Market (and doing all of the exercises) this past weekend, so it's perfect timing to watch your launch in action. Thanks so much for sharing. And I especially appreciate written updates since videos and I don't mix well.

Try Shifter Origins for FREE!
    Aimee Easterling | Aimee Easterling - Author Page | Facebook Page

Offline 80593

• View Profile
    Congratulations, Chris! Good luck, and I'll be watching with interest. Please put more Choco Tacos in your videos kthx.

Offline stoney

• from the school of hard heads
      • View Profile
    You're an inspiration, Chris. Good luck!

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
    • Storyteller and Cat Minion
      • View Profile
      • Ineti Press
    Last month I successfully completed my 21 Day Novel Challenge. The rules were simple. I had to write, and edit, a full length novel in 21 days. Quite a few people started challenges of their own, and hundreds of thousands of words were written (or in Jim's case are still being written). But here's the thing. My challenge wasn't just about writing. My challenge was also about selling.

Good luck, Chris! Hope Destroyer achieves and exceeds your goals! I won't even worry about marketing until May, when I'm closing in on the end of the third book's draft. I have fairly good idea how I'm going to launch, but I keep tweaking the plan as I read more great threads on marketing by the other fine folks here.

Thanks for the inspiration! Now get cracking on book 2. :)

Offline Matthew Stott

• View Profile
      • Uncanny Kingdom
    Good luck! Though I would argue that failing to reach, or even get close to, any targets you've set for yourself does not automatically make it a 'bad book.' [crap] happens.

Matthew Stott | Twitter |

Offline Shiriluna Nott

• Upstate New York
    • *maniacal laughter*
      • View Profile
      • Shiriluna Nott
    Good luck! I have been, and will continue to, watch this challenge with interest! :D

Shiriluna Nott, writer of LGBT epic fantasy. Currently writing: Book Four *and* Book 1.5 of the Chronicles of Arden.
     | Facebook Author Page | Website | Mailing List | Twitter @ShirilunaNott |

Offline amy_wokz

• "Think loose; write tight."
      • View Profile
    Fantastic, Chris! I can't say enough about your courage, authenticity, and heart in providing insight into this process for everyone. Thank you! :)
    "Readers prefer the clear and concise delivery of an exciting story more than the flowery and sublime delivery of utter ennui." - Hugh Howey

Offline Chris Fox

• Mill Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Chris Fox Writes
    Good luck! Though I would argue that failing to reach, or even get close to, any targets you've set for yourself does not automatically make it a 'bad book.' [crap] happens.

That's a great point, Matthew. I'm tying quality to sales rank, because that's the only objective metric I can track. If readers buy and review it, I can prove it's a 'good' book, as opposed to quickly written trash. I'm trying to bust the myth that fast = crap.

Chris - you're incredibly inspiring!  Watching you is demystifying all of this and making me feel like I can take control of book launches rather than just putting them up and then doing nothing else ... Yeah, crazy, I know.  Looking forward to all of your videos and updates!

That's the whole goal. When I showed up to Kboards people like Annie Jacoby, Wayne Stinnett, and Elizabeth Ann West were dissecting their launches. I learned an immense amount in a short time, because they (and countless other authors) were so free with their data. I have an obligation to pay that forward, and so do you once you're selling at the numbers you'd like to =p.

To everyone else, thank you for being so encouraging. You people rock. I've got my fingers crossed for Destroyer.

Offline Chris Fox

• Mill Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Chris Fox Writes
    Good luck, Chris! Hope Destroyer achieves and exceeds your goals! I won't even worry about marketing until May, when I'm closing in on the end of the third book's draft. I have fairly good idea how I'm going to launch, but I keep tweaking the plan as I read more great threads on marketing by the other fine folks here.

Thanks for the inspiration! Now get cracking on book 2. :)

First, I had to write the prequel. Exiled is done and edited. This week I work on Launch to Market while I'm at the Smarter Artist Summit, and I start writing Void Wraith when I get back. =)

Offline D-C

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Author website
    Good luck, Chris. I'm nervous for you! Whatever happens, it's a wicked-wild ride and an amazing experience. Well done.

Offline PhilipColgate

• View Profile
    I watched your YouTube series daily but avoided reading the files you shared.  I was waiting to download the final live version of Destroyer.  It's not my genre, but I'm dying to read the finished product after seeing its "manufacture" each step of the way.  Good luck, bro.

Offline C. A. Mitchell

• Edinburgh, Scotland
      • View Profile
    Chris, thank you so much for taking the time to share with all of us. I watched your challenge videos and your attitude is really inspiring. Fingers crossed for Destroyer! If the words are anywhere near as awesome as the cover, then I think it'll do just fine :)

Enjoy Austin  8)

Offline ufwriter

• UK
      • View Profile
    Good luck, Chris! I can't wait to see how this goes!!

Offline A Woman's Place Is In The Rebellion

• Peace out.
      • View Profile
    Good luck, Chris! I've enjoyed your videos and hope this experiment goes even better than expected.

Offline Darren Kirby

• View Profile
    Good luck, Chris!  I just started getting into your 21 day challenge videos, but right away I went and pre-ordered your new book as I wanted to see what the finished product would be like.  Very excited for you!  And thanks for being so transparent, hopefully I can do the same in the future for others coming along behind us.

Darren Kirby | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Book Coaching

Offline mrforbes

• View Profile
      • coder.author.nerd
    Buying my copy now.
    First in series:

Offline mearle

• Storyteller
      • View Profile
    I like the name of your new book  ;)

Dark Fantasy, Science Fiction, and Horror
    Michael-Scott Earle | Website

Offline sela

• View Profile
    I checked my Kindle this morning and WOOHOO! My preorder of Destroyer was downloaded! I have all your books and am looking forward to reading and watching your launch and all the videos that go along with it. Whatever the results, you've done a great job providing us indies with lots of material to consider in our own careers. I wish you the best of luck and all the success you hope for. I'll be trying to replicate your process in the fall when I do my own SF debut! :)
    The Author Formerly Known As Sela

Offline Brock O. Lee

• View Profile
    You are a saint, Chris. I feel like I should be paying you for all this valuable information. Thanks so much, man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline J.T. Williams

• Texas
      • View Profile
      • Author J.T. Williams
    Chris, holy blurb.

I was into the second paragraph and all I could think was, "Protoss are about to burn a planet". I halfway expected an excerpt where an Archon said "ERADICATE!"

Void Wrath =Void Ray (SC2 unit, not sure if you wanted that mental checkmark but it was the first thing to come to mind.)

...then you listed that this baby was raised by StarCraft. Perfect.

Good luck. You're in the four digit ranks. Awesome!

Drinker of coffee, dabbler in necromancy...
    J.T. Williams | My Blog | Twitter | Mailing List | Goodreads | Facebook

Offline barryjhutchison

• The Highlands of Scotland
      • View Profile
    Just bought from the UK store. Looking forward to reading it. Good luck!

Offline Chris Fox

• Mill Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Chris Fox Writes
    I checked my Kindle this morning and WOOHOO! My preorder of Destroyer was downloaded! I have all your books and am looking forward to reading and watching your launch and all the videos that go along with it. Whatever the results, you've done a great job providing us indies with lots of material to consider in our own careers. I wish you the best of luck and all the success you hope for. I'll be trying to replicate your process in the fall when I do my own SF debut! :)

I have every confidence that you will kick butt in SF, Sela. I can't wait to read whatever you put out.

Buying my copy now.

This made my day. The author of Starship Eternal is reading my book.

Chris, holy blurb.

I was into the second paragraph and all I could think was, "Protoss are about to burn a planet". I halfway expected an excerpt where an Archon said "ERADICATE!"

Void Wrath =Void Ray (SC2 unit, not sure if you wanted that mental checkmark but it was the first thing to come to mind.)

...then you listed that this baby was raised by StarCraft. Perfect.

Good luck. You're in the four digit ranks. Awesome!

You're the first person to notice the Starcraft influences, which really surprises me. My Primo feel very much like Protoss, and of course I've got my Terrans. If you've played Mass Effect you'll definitely recognize other elements, too.

You are a saint, Chris. I feel like I should be paying you for all this valuable information. Thanks so much, man!

Others did exactly the same thing for me when I showed up to Kboards, and I think we all have an obligation to pay it forward.

I may do a course eventually, but only if I can prove my methodology works. This is where we find out if I know what the hell I'm talking about =)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement