Author Topic: Kudos to the front-line workers  (Read 5817 times)  

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
Re: FIREFIGHTERS and FIRST RESPONDERS!
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2017, 01:42:03 pm »
Emergency! has been in syndication since it was on the air 40 years ago.  Via cable, Netflix, and DVDs, this 'little show that could' has a whole new generation of fans.  Rekindle the memories....  with an episode guide that discusses the show.  Including the not-so-memorable movies!

Seasons 1-3....

Seasons 4-6....

And, yes, the dreaded movies....

Enjoy the show.  KMG-365!!
Jena

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: February 18, 2017, 08:06:07 am »
    One of the books in this series recently made it to the Top 100 list in the top sellers for its categories:

#28 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Humor & Entertainment > Television > Guides & Reviews
    #68 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Medical eBooks > Specialties > Emergency Medicine

Check them all out, and see if you agree.

.  .   .      .  .   .   

Jena

Offline CSWCLynn

• Small Town, Colorado, USA
    • I love Indie Authors!
      • View Profile
      • CSWCLLC Website
    « Reply #27 on: February 18, 2017, 12:45:56 pm »
    One of the books in this series recently made it to the Top 100 list in the top sellers for its categories:

#28 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Humor & Entertainment > Television > Guides & Reviews
    #68 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Medical eBooks > Specialties > Emergency Medicine

That's awesome news. Congrats!

Last week while recovering from the flu, I watched a couple of episodes. It's on Cozi TV aka FETV (Family Entertainment TV). I had forgotten how Johnny and Chet would push each others' buttons.  :)

Have a great one!
    Lynn Hallbrooks  | Website | Twitter | Blog

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 05:29:27 am »
    That's awesome news. Congrats!

Last week while recovering from the flu, I watched a couple of episodes. It's on Cozi TV aka FETV (Family Entertainment TV). I had forgotten how Johnny and Chet would push each others' buttons.  :)

Yeah, Johnny and Chet were the original "frenemies."  They started out more as adversaries but not surprisingly evolved to "I got your back, bro...   but I won't admit it in public."   8)

One of the best examples of this is in an episode in which a boy swallows ant poison, and his mother thinks he's faking being sick to get attention and delays the paramedics from treating him.  It doesn't end well.  Chet had been doing his "Phantom" pranks (aimed at Johnny, of course) but was surprisingly compassionate and respectful.
    Jena

Offline CSWCLynn

• I love Indie Authors!
      • View Profile
      • CSWCLLC Website
    « Reply #29 on: February 21, 2017, 01:18:02 pm »
    Yeah, Johnny and Chet were the original "frenemies."  They started out more as adversaries but not surprisingly evolved to "I got your back, bro...   but I won't admit it in public."   8)

One of the best examples of this is in an episode in which a boy swallows ant poison, and his mother thinks he's faking being sick to get attention and delays the paramedics from treating him.  It doesn't end well.  Chet had been doing his "Phantom" pranks (aimed at Johnny, of course) but was surprisingly compassionate and respectful.

I think you may be right about the "frenemies" part.

I don't really remember that episode but it does sound about right for the two of them.

Have a great one!

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    Re: Fans of "retro" or oldies TV... take note!
    « Reply #30 on: March 04, 2017, 05:29:56 am »
    The classic show Emergency! debuted 45 years ago... and over the following six seasons it brought exciting stories and danger into our living rooms each week.  It's been airing in syndication for decades, bringing new generations into the fold of its fans.

It's a show that literally launched a million careers.

Rekindle the memories....  with an episode guide that discusses the show.  Including the not-so-memorable movies!

Seasons 1-3....

Seasons 4-6....

Jena

Offline AmesburyArcher

• U.K.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: March 05, 2017, 10:39:55 am »
    One of my childhood favourites...along with ADAM 12!
    Author of books both historical and fantastical-Stonehenge, Arthurian, Richard III, English queens & mistresses, Robin Hood, dystopian Canada (!) and more...
    Author of historical fiction & historical fantasy
    J.P. Reedman | fb | fb | fb | fb

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: March 06, 2017, 06:12:53 am »
    One of my childhood favourites...along with ADAM 12!

Interestingly, I never really watched Emergency! (at least not religiously) back in the day.  Same with Adam-12.  (Although my brothers and I used to joke about "see the man."  ;) )  It was only in the last few years, with those old retro TV channels, that I got really hooked on the shows.

Also interestingly, just as E! inspired these episode guides, so did Adam-12 inspire some other books... fiction ones.  From reviews of the books:

~ Screenplay to "Adam-12"?  ...  All it needed to be a close cousin to the "Adam-12" screenplay was Jean and Jim expecting a baby.

~ [the author] clearly KNOWS her Adam-12. The characters, despite having other names, are spot-on. As you read, you can just HEAR Martin Milner's voice as Wry and Kent McCord's as Earnest.

First book (novella) in the Boys in Blue series is free.  Has a different sort of narrative, and (unlike the show) delves a bit into the personal life of one of the officers; serves to illustrate his character/personality.

Jena

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    Re: BABY BOOMERS... take note!
    « Reply #33 on: March 18, 2017, 06:14:26 am »
    A show that was indicative of the times, and of the location in which it was set.  The early '70s was defined by its times:  the Vietnam War, the hippie culture, the changing social landscape as exhibited by what was shown on TV.  One of the groundbreaking shows of that time (or of ANY time) tells about the virtual birth of emergency medicine, and specifically, the birth of the paramedic program.

Watching EMERGENCY! is a guide to the six seasons' worth of episodes of the venerable (and enduring) show.  ALthough the vehicles and equipment and hair styles  ;) may be different now, the stories of determination and human nature are just as true now as they were 45 years ago.  And yes, they're inspiring.  A great companion to the DVDs.

Read FREE via KU:

Read FREE via KU:

Jena

Offline CSWCLynn

• I love Indie Authors!
      • View Profile
      • CSWCLLC Website
    « Reply #34 on: March 18, 2017, 03:27:59 pm »
    A show that was indicative of the times, and of the location in which it was set.  The early '70s was defined by its times:  the Vietnam War, the hippie culture, the changing social landscape as exhibited by what was shown on TV.  One of the groundbreaking shows of that time (or of ANY time) tells about the virtual birth of emergency medicine, and specifically, the birth of the paramedic program.

Watching EMERGENCY! is a guide to the six seasons' worth of episodes of the venerable (and enduring) show.  ALthough the vehicles and equipment and hair styles  ;) may be different now, the stories of determination and human nature are just as true now as they were 45 years ago.  And yes, they're inspiring.  A great companion to the DVDs.

Read FREE via KU:

Read FREE via KU:

So true - I believe I watched the first episode at some point. They were talking about how it came about and who got selected. I have that memory tucked away somewhere - don't remember all the details but do remember that certain events possibly the war inspired the need. That and the fact that many had the basic training and were provided a more advanced training.

We have come a long ways since then and I'm so glad we have.

Have a great one!

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: March 26, 2017, 06:43:01 am »
    So true - I believe I watched the first episode at some point. They were talking about how it came about and who got selected. I have that memory tucked away somewhere - don't remember all the details but do remember that certain events possibly the war inspired the need. That and the fact that many had the basic training and were provided a more advanced training.

We have come a long ways since then and I'm so glad we have.

Are you referring to the first episode (actually a movie) about the creation of the paramedic program?  That one has some great scenes in it.  There are actually two 'versions' of that pilot movie.  The first one is simply a straightforward movie, I believe it begins with a night scene at Station 10, showing all the firefighters asleep just before the alarm goes off, which is when we first see John Gage.  But in the 4th or 5th season of the show, the Powers That Be aired the pilot movie again, but they sandwiched it between 'current' scenes:  Johnny and Roy return to Station 51 and as they have a cup of coffee they begin to reminisce about how the paramedic program began in LA County.  Roy was already trained, and we see Johnny decide to sign up as well.  ANyway, in this "flashback" version of the pilot movie, the second hour also begins with the "present-day" paramedics continuing their reminiscing.  Also, at the very end, when they get to the 'end' of the movie, they get called out on another run.  So it's not as 'pure' as the original movie, but it still shows all the action.

When Netflix (and MeTV) had Emergency!, they both had the flashback version of the pilot.  I'm not sure what outlets, if any, still air the original, uncut version of it.  Other than the official DVDs, that is.  I assume they have it, anyway.   ;) 

BTW, as far as I was able to learn, some version of a paramedic/emergency on-site treatment program existed in the 1960s, so it really wasn't determined by the Vietnam war at all.
    Jena

Offline CSWCLynn

• I love Indie Authors!
      • View Profile
      • CSWCLLC Website
    « Reply #36 on: March 27, 2017, 04:29:08 pm »
    Are you referring to the first episode (actually a movie) about the creation of the paramedic program?  That one has some great scenes in it.  There are actually two 'versions' of that pilot movie.  The first one is simply a straightforward movie, I believe it begins with a night scene at Station 10, showing all the firefighters asleep just before the alarm goes off, which is when we first see John Gage.  But in the 4th or 5th season of the show, the Powers That Be aired the pilot movie again, but they sandwiched it between 'current' scenes:  Johnny and Roy return to Station 51 and as they have a cup of coffee they begin to reminisce about how the paramedic program began in LA County.  Roy was already trained, and we see Johnny decide to sign up as well.  ANyway, in this "flashback" version of the pilot movie, the second hour also begins with the "present-day" paramedics continuing their reminiscing.  Also, at the very end, when they get to the 'end' of the movie, they get called out on another run.  So it's not as 'pure' as the original movie, but it still shows all the action.

When Netflix (and MeTV) had Emergency!, they both had the flashback version of the pilot.  I'm not sure what outlets, if any, still air the original, uncut version of it.  Other than the official DVDs, that is.  I assume they have it, anyway.   ;) 

BTW, as far as I was able to learn, some version of a paramedic/emergency on-site treatment program existed in the 1960s, so it really wasn't determined by the Vietnam war at all.

You know, I'm not sure which version I watched or even when I watched it. I just vaguely remember it. Sounds like you have done some serious research.

Have a great one!

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: April 21, 2017, 07:52:33 pm »
    You know, I'm not sure which version I watched or even when I watched it. I just vaguely remember it. Sounds like you have done some serious research.

If by "serious research" you mean I had time to watch the show often (and being a detail-oriented person, I notice obscure details), then  yes, I did "serious research."   8)    :P
    Jena

Offline CSWCLynn

• I love Indie Authors!
      • View Profile
      • CSWCLLC Website
    « Reply #38 on: April 24, 2017, 05:25:29 pm »
    If by "serious research" you mean I had time to watch the show often (and being a detail-oriented person, I notice obscure details), then  yes, I did "serious research."   8)    :P

LOL! I think it counts. Research has to begin somewhere. You just began at the source.

Have a great one!

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: April 29, 2017, 02:32:17 am »
    The classic show Emergency! debuted 45 years ago... and over the following six seasons it brought exciting stories and danger into our living rooms each week.  It's been airing in syndication for decades, bringing new generations into the fold of its fans.

Rekindle the memories....  with an episode guide that discusses the show.  Including the not-so-memorable movies!

Seasons 1-3....

Seasons 4-6....

Jena

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: May 12, 2017, 08:26:48 pm »

Read FREE via Kindle Unlimited:

Read FREE via Kindle Unlimited:

Jena

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: May 21, 2017, 06:34:34 am »

Seasons 1-3....

Seasons 4-6....

Jena

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    Re: BABY BOOMERS!! Do you remember......
    « Reply #42 on: May 27, 2017, 05:47:01 am »
    Emergency! has been in syndication since it was on the air 40 years ago.  Via cable, Netflix, and DVDs, this 'little show that could' has a whole new generation of fans.  Rekindle the memories....  with an episode guide that discusses the show.  Including the not-so-memorable movies!

Seasons 1-3....

Seasons 4-6....

Jena

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    Re: BABY BOOMERS!! Do you remember......
    « Reply #43 on: June 09, 2017, 02:59:52 pm »

Read FREE via KU:

Read FREE via KU:

Jena

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    Re: It's HOT! Call the fire department!!
    « Reply #44 on: June 17, 2017, 05:22:46 am »
    John Gage & Roy DeSoto....  nurse Dixie McCall....  "Rampart, this is Squad 51"....  "Start an I.V. with D5W, TKO."

Ring any bells?  From the TV show that launched a million careers.

Emergency! first aired in the early '70s, and has been in syndication pretty much ever since.  Via cable, Netflix, and DVDs, this 'little show that could' has a whole new generation of fans.  Rekindle the memories....  with an episode guide that discusses the show.  Including the not-so-memorable movies!

Seasons 1-3....

Seasons 4-6....

Jena

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: June 17, 2017, 06:04:02 am »
    That was an absolute must see back in the day. I still occasionally enjoy an Emergency! binge watch.

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: June 17, 2017, 04:35:24 pm »
    That was an absolute must see back in the day. I still occasionally enjoy an Emergency! binge watch.

Y'know, I honestly don't recall watching it 'back in the day.'  Although I'm sure I must have, at least sometimes.  But I rediscovered it a few years ago and was able to binge watch too.  Hence these episode guides.   8)
    Jena

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: June 24, 2017, 05:58:06 am »

Seasons 1-3....

Seasons 4-6....

Jena

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: July 01, 2017, 05:15:17 am »

Seasons 1-3....

Seasons 4-6....

Jena

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: July 14, 2017, 07:53:44 pm »

Read FREE via KU:

Read FREE via KU:

Jena

KBoards.com

• Advertisement