Author Topic: Report says Google Play for new publisher accounts is "closed forever"  (Read 3247 times)  

Offline KelliWolfe

• View Profile
Re: Report says Google Play for new publisher accounts is "closed forever"
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2016, 06:15:19 am »
The genre lists still come up for me in the desktop store.

The biggest problem with categories is that pretty much everyone uses the BISAC categories. This makes perfect sense if you're in a library and you've only got to handle a limited number of physical books - a few hundred perhaps - in each category. But in ebookstores where there are thousands or tens of thousands of books in a category, they're the next best thing to useless. Trying to browse through the larger categories (general romance, for instance) is mostly a waste of time. Those categories are getting so big that some of the distributors (like iTunes) have actively started discouraging people from using them at all. So I don't consider Google's move in that direction to be necessarily a bad thing. Rather than trying to come up with a more nuanced category list that will never be fine-grained enough to suit everyone they've fallen back on keyword search, which they are kind of good at.

The 200 results issue is one of my pet peeves. So is their "forever expanding" result list. I wish to god that they'd just use paged results like everyone else. I also hate the "card" display that they and Kobo use with the blazing heat of a thousand suns. They're slow and bandwidth intensive and I've got to load four times as many pages to view the same number of results that I'd get in one on Amazon or Barnes & Noble. But let's face it - with the exception of their main search page, Google has never produced a UI that couldn't have been designed better by a pack of mentally defective howler monkeys.

Olivia Blake | Lessons in Love

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline KeenToWrite

• View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: April 21, 2016, 06:38:11 am »
    Kozlowski is an unscrupulous clickbait writer who routinely smears self-publishing. Not too long ago, he posted a new article about a story from a few years ago in order to get more clicks. Never use Goodereader as a source for anything.

This. He's the guy who wrote the article a while back saying self-publishers should not be called authors.

Egads, the new "team" from Oyster just became totally free in January, and likely only just now since it probably took some time to close everything down with Oyster.

Right, and just because they now have this new team doesn't mean they can revamp the whole store overnight. They're likely working through the very early stages of development on the sorts of changes they'd like to make to GP, which will likely take months, if not years, to implement.

They've been waiting to see how the lawsuit with the Authors' Guild over Google Books would play out

Exactly. Don't you think it will be much easier for Google to catch scammers if they have the option of running uploaded ebooks against their gigantic database of existing works? The fate of Google Books is probably a huge factor in how they decide to move forward with their publishing platform and how easy it is for them to deal with scammers.

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
      • Gene Doucette's Blog
    « Reply #27 on: April 21, 2016, 07:10:09 am »
    If I said what I really thought of him, Betsy would pull out the cattle-prod.

I think the cattle prod is exclusive to the erotica board.

Offline jellybelly

• View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: April 21, 2016, 07:11:07 am »
    That's disappointing, I started publishing after they had already closed to everyone and was really hoping they would eventually open it up.

Offline 555aaa

• Near Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: April 21, 2016, 12:06:40 pm »
    Google (Alphabet) is being investigated in the EU under anti-trust laws because, among other reasons, they essentially require phone makers that use Android to pre-install Google Chrome, Google Play, Google Maps, and display them prominently on the phone.  They've been subject to EU scrutiny for a long time but primarily over search.  Android is open source, but Google requires phone makers not to sell products with Google Play or Google search on any device, even Google Android phones, if they also sell a phone featuring a non-Google version of Android.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-16-1492_en.htm

I think that might be a small factor in their lack of commitment to books, but I think a bigger factor is that books don't have an advertising revenue model the way that search and YouTube have. I think they're going to stick with the aggregator model for now and let someone else have the hassles of dealing with lots of (artists) writers who on average don't add much value to their enterprise. 

Offline Briteka

• View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: April 21, 2016, 12:10:04 pm »
    Google (Alphabet) is being investigated in the EU under anti-trust laws because, among other reasons, they essentially require phone makers that use Android to pre-install Google Chrome, Google Play, Google Maps, and display them prominently on the phone.  They've been subject to EU scrutiny for a long time but primarily over search.  Android is open source, but Google requires phone makers not to sell products with Google Play or Google search on any device, even Google Android phones, if they also sell a phone featuring a non-Google version of Android.

This makes no sense.

Offline JR.

• View Profile
      • jrarmstrong.co
    « Reply #31 on: April 21, 2016, 12:51:01 pm »

I think that might be a small factor in their lack of commitment to books, but I think a bigger factor is that books don't have an advertising revenue model the way that search and YouTube have. I think they're going to stick with the aggregator model for now and let someone else have the hassles of dealing with lots of (artists) writers who on average don't add much value to their enterprise.

This is just about Google having such a large market share, and the EU wanting to introduce competition. Nothing to do with Google being a big bad, nor anything to do with books. If anything, it's a reason for Google to pursue books, because they know the EU will keep looking at ways to open up markets (stifling their main business, but potentially stifling Amazon to give Google Books an advantage).

Offline Queen Mab

• LGBT historical fiction and romance
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: April 21, 2016, 03:27:05 pm »
    I'm grateful that I, too, got in under the wire. I started there last spring, I believe. Can't say I've gained traction, but I'm doing my first permafree with them right now, and what everyone said about Google Play and free is true!

For copyediting & proofreading, visit Edit for Indies: http://editforindies.com|Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gabriellawest|

Offline EmmaS

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: April 21, 2016, 04:06:14 pm »
    That's disappointing, I started publishing after they had already closed to everyone and was really hoping they would eventually open it up.

Same here. I'm especially disappointed, since I hear that YA fiction seems to move pretty well over there.

I'm hoping the speculation on redesigning and waiting for the lawsuit to play out are right... I was so hoping to get in with them!

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
    • Introverts Unite (Separately)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: April 21, 2016, 08:06:32 pm »
    I find it difficult to believe that they are removing books and/or limiting access.

I received an email last week from Play asking me about the reasons I unpublished all my books a while ago. The exact wording was
    "I would love to find out more about your reasoning for this decision, and if possible, assist you in getting your titles back on sale in the Play Store. "

That doesn't sound to me like a store that is closing/refusing indie author direct signup or whatever gloom and doom is being speculated. I responded and said that I unpublished to go experiment with exclusivity with that "other store" but expect to return to Play soon.

I did take the opportunity to let them know that if they didn't randomly discount titles without notice to the author (due to the impact caused by Amazon price-matching), they would probably have more authors interested in the service.
    « Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 08:12:55 pm by Jill Nojack »

THE FAMILIAR and THE INNOCENT DEAD are Kindle Scout Winners |  Jillnojack.com

Offline James R Wells

• Bellingham, WA
    • Without Fear, Speak What is True - Axiom
      • View Profile
      • The Great Symmetry
    « Reply #35 on: April 21, 2016, 08:18:13 pm »
    For new authors who don't have Google Play access, there is that StreetLib distributor that publishes to Google Play.

You can't directly control your price on Google via StreetLib. It's maddening. When I was scheduled for BookBub (wide) I desperately tried to get it to the required $0.99 price on Google, to no avail (no reply to repeated emails to StreetLib), so the Google link got dropped from the BookBub. Luckily at BB they are awesome professionals and only dropped Google rather than killing my whole promotion.

Conversely, I'm concerned that one day I'll wake up and find all my prices lowered due to Google or StreetLib arbitrarily deciding it's sale day, and then getting price matched.

So, for the paltry sales there (might be because I can't do 99c promos!), I've been considering just letting it drop.

James R Wells | The Great Symmetry

KBoards.com

• Advertisement