Author Topic: The Kindle Oasis First Impressions Thread--Post Yours Here!  (Read 68429 times)  

Offline barryem

• View Profile
Re: The Kindle Oasis First Impressions Thread--Post Yours Here!
« Reply #700 on: December 28, 2016, 05:12:10 am »
I think that it will be better to have a sleeve, so the cover won't get damaged.

Yeah but what will you use to protect the sleeve?

Barry

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline larryb52

• one day at a time
      • View Profile
    overall Oasis -fails
    « Reply #701 on: December 30, 2016, 01:33:11 pm »
    I've tried multiple oasis' and none have met the given expectations of the overblown hype of the advertising or the hype. I have had good screens for the most part but very iffy battery use so it usually goes back. I will say in defense of those that love it that I may be expecting too much but for the money I expect a bit more than reading 2.5 books on it (avg length 400 pages) before it wants to be charged so it went back and today sent the 4th one I tried and to be honest I wanted it too work. I think for amazon this should not be a grap shoot but to be honest my pw3 does the job at a more reasonable price and I do have a nice voyage , shame but I would not be surprised that oasis 2 comes out spring and the battery is addressed as the screen...sorry to those I know that disagree and just my 2 cents...
    Larry

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #702 on: December 30, 2016, 05:45:05 pm »
    LarryB I wonder if you're doing all your reading without the cover?  If so that would account for your poor battery life.  I haven't seen an Oasis so I'm no expert but if that's what you're doing it sounds like your battery life might be okay.  You might improve it by putting the Oasis in it's cover when you end a reading session, or even reading while it's in the cover.

Barry

Offline larryb52

• one day at a time
      • View Profile
    « Reply #703 on: December 31, 2016, 01:42:02 am »
    no I left the cover on, battery is just not there on this device...
    Larry

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #704 on: December 31, 2016, 06:13:03 am »
    As with anything, personal tastes/preferences will come into play.  FWIW, I prefer my Voyage to my Oasis -- aesthetically, for me, it's a more pleasant shape and size.

I think the screen is just as good and can't really say for sure about the battery because (1) the Voyage is 2 years old and (2) I only use the Oasis for an hour or so at night vs picking it up multiple times during the day. I use the same size/style of print and have the light set about the same, but I've not, in any scientific way, logged hours read or pages turned or anything else. So, the usage is different enough that any battery comparison would be meaningless. But I definitely have no complaints on that score; it absolutely works as well as advertised, for me, and I do like the buttons. Except for the buttons, it seems to me the features for actual reading are identical.

I don't see me buying a second, however; if one of my kindles failed today and I needed a replacement I'd go with another Voyage because I don't find the Oasis $90 better than the Voyage. I do find the Voyage to be worth the extra $80 over the cost of the PW because of the smaller size and weight. When I got the Oasis I'd been using the Voyage for a year or so and rated it 99 out of 100. In comparison, I rated the oasis as 98 initially. After using it for some time, I'd probably call it 95. So, still quite good, but I like the Voyage better.

I note, as well, that one can buy an Oasis case on it's own for $89. . . . . so, if you think about it, the Oasis and the Voyage are the same price -- but to get a longer battery life you're paying $89 and losing the option to buy the cover design of your choice from a 3rd party vendor. Oh, there are some available, but they don't have the battery -- so you're left with a device that's too square and doesn't last as long. ::) <obviously, my opinion only! :) >

I think the Oasis could be improved by making the cover rechargeable on its own. That way you could basically have a forever battery by always having one battery charging while the other one is on the device -- like the way my husband uses the interchangeable batteries on his power tools. :) As it is, you have to have the device charging to charge the battery so you loose flexibility. And even if you charge up a cover and then swap it out, there's no saying how long it will HOLD that charge . . . if you don't use it for a week or two, you might find that it's gone flat as well. :( That's a design flaw in my book -- if they do have a 2nd Gen Oasis, I'm guessing that's one change they'll make. And if they can make the new covers backwards compatible with the original Oasis, that would be very smart of them.

I'll also note that I did have a problem with my Oasis that I've NEVER had with any other device -- the touch screen became erratic. Menus would pop up on their own, and sometimes my touching would not make them go away and/or I couldn't select things/turn pages with a touch. They replaced it after having me try a bunch of stuff -- I think I restarted it about 4 times, did the de-register/re-register dance, and finally they had me reset it to factory conditions, which was o.k. because I was done with it at that point. I decided they were going to give me a replacement device or my money back. :o Which they did. :) BUT, it did put me off a bit as it's not a behavior I'd seen in any other kindles. :( Hence my rating reduced to 95 out of 100. And, it's another reason why, if one of the two devices I use regularly -- a Voyage and an Oasis -- fail completely, I'll replace it with a Voyage.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #705 on: December 31, 2016, 03:10:10 pm »
    I've not gotten an Oasis, mostly because of my concern about the battery.  I've mentioned that before.  But there really is much about the idea of the thing that I like.  Especially the small size.  What I'd like to see is either:

A. An Oasis where the internal battery is the only battery and it fills in the space currently taken by the cover's battery.  That would make it bigger and heavier but it would have a full size internal battery and my concerns would be alleviated.  Or:

B. An Oasis designed like it is now but with a user replaceable internal battery.  Then if the battery goes out I'll pay $20 or so for another battery.  Or even keep a spare.  In that case I wouldn't bother with the cover except when I go outside to read.  This would be my preference.

Another thing they could do to please me if they didn't mind upsetting everyone else on Earth (which seems fair to me) is to remove the page buttons and the extra width that seems to be needed for them and make it smaller yet.  Not that I think it's too big but I doubt I'd ever use those buttons and everyone knows smaller is better.

As for the price of the cover, I paid $9 for one of my Voyage covers and it's as nice as my Swees cover.  So comparing the price of the Voyage with a cover to the price of the Oasis with it's included cover still falls $80 short.

And yet the other day I was looking at video reviews of the Oasis on Youtube wondering if I should forget all that and just get one.  I'm pretty sure I'd like it.  But I didn't get it.  I'm also pretty sure I'd worry about that battery enough to ruin the delight I'd expect from it.

Please people, let's all stop hoping for peace on Earth or the end of war and all that silly stuff and start hoping for better Kindles. :)

A good definition of "better Kindles" is much more variety; many more models and styles and sizes to choose from.

Barry

Offline Jodi O

• View Profile
    « Reply #706 on: December 31, 2016, 04:49:21 pm »
    I don't have an Oasis, just my trusty PW3 in the premium cover. I love the ergonomics of the Oasis, though. I'm always changing position and changing hands with PW because of the weight, especially in that cover. However, I bring the thing all over with me, including to the gym. I have always wondered if that would be safe with the Oasis. It seems too small and light, and the cover seems just to be a flap to protect the screen....but if that thing took a serious fall? What do you folks think, is it as safe as a PW in a full cover?

If we do see an Oasis 2, I would want it to be waterproof. If I could read in the tub....oh yes. I know, I know, I can get a waterproof cover, or put my PW in a ziplock bag. Sometimes I do, but often I don't stop to do it.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #707 on: December 31, 2016, 05:12:37 pm »
    I've not gotten an Oasis, mostly because of my concern about the battery.  I've mentioned that before.  But there really is much about the idea of the thing that I like.  Especially the small size.  What I'd like to see is either:

A. An Oasis where the internal battery is the only battery and it fills in the space currently taken by the cover's battery.  That would make it bigger and heavier but it would have a full size internal battery and my concerns would be alleviated.  Or:

B. An Oasis designed like it is now but with a user replaceable internal battery.  Then if the battery goes out I'll pay $20 or so for another battery.  Or even keep a spare.  In that case I wouldn't bother with the cover except when I go outside to read.  This would be my preference.

Another thing they could do to please me if they didn't mind upsetting everyone else on Earth (which seems fair to me) is to remove the page buttons and the extra width that seems to be needed for them and make it smaller yet.  Not that I think it's too big but I doubt I'd ever use those buttons and everyone knows smaller is better.

As for the price of the cover, I paid $9 for one of my Voyage covers and it's as nice as my Swees cover.  So comparing the price of the Voyage with a cover to the price of the Oasis with it's included cover still falls $80 short.

And yet the other day I was looking at video reviews of the Oasis on Youtube wondering if I should forget all that and just get one.  I'm pretty sure I'd like it.  But I didn't get it.  I'm also pretty sure I'd worry about that battery enough to ruin the delight I'd expect from it.

Please people, let's all stop hoping for peace on Earth or the end of war and all that silly stuff and start hoping for better Kindles. :)

A good definition of "better Kindles" is much more variety; many more models and styles and sizes to choose from.

Barry

You basically want to turn the Oasis into a Paperwhite then. The whole point and the main reasons I have the Oasis are the buttons, real buttons and the shape and size and weight. It doesn't have to be changed. There are other kindles available for those that don't like the Oasis. Paperwhite with no buttons, Voyage with faux buttons and tiny bezels and the Oasis for those of us that need real buttons and ergonomic shape.

I like that they kept 3 different kindles so far for different needs. The Oasis is the only one in the line up now that can fulfil my needs, real buttons. They even took them away from the basic. Why should I have to give up the only kindle that works for me because some don't like the Oasis? They have other options, I don't.

As to battery, my Oasis had the same battery life as my Voyage. Voyage probably a tiny bit less since its older, but I can't tell at this time. It all depends on what light setting, wifi on or off, is wifi reliable or bad signal, size of font and what else but reading one does. Its hard to compare how many books one can read since we all have different settings. I go more by hours of reading time, but again, I also use wiki and lookup and store and goodreads on it.

But if it seems the battery has a defect then Amazon comes through as I am sure it can happen.

Offline CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
      • View Profile
    The Kindle Oasis First Impressions Thread--Post Yours Here!
    « Reply #708 on: December 31, 2016, 05:59:16 pm »
    As with anything, personal tastes/preferences will come into play.  FWIW, I prefer my Voyage to my Oasis -- aesthetically, for me, it's a more pleasant shape and size.
    I am the exact opposite.. almost never use my Voyage anymore.  Just use the Oasis,  it is the perfect size and weight for me.   I have to say the battery has been working very well for me also.
    « Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 01:10:05 am by CAR »

K2US v2.5.7 / 2x(One is SO)K3 White 3G/Wi-Fi + Oberon Bold Celtic in Black / 2x PW2 3G W/O / Voyage 3G W/O / PW3 3G W/O / Oasis 3g W/O

Offline isamilis

• View Profile
    The Kindle Oasis First Impressions Thread--Post Yours Here!
    « Reply #709 on: December 31, 2016, 06:55:31 pm »
    I am still back and forth with my PW3. The yellowish screen in PW3 sometimes more relaxing for eyes compared to white/milk in Oasis. PW3 stay at home while I bring Oasis wherever I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #710 on: December 31, 2016, 08:24:44 pm »
    You basically want to turn the Oasis into a Paperwhite then. The whole point and the main reasons I have the Oasis are the buttons, real buttons and the shape and size and weight. It doesn't have to be changed. There are other kindles available for those that don't like the Oasis. Paperwhite with no buttons, Voyage with faux buttons and tiny bezels and the Oasis for those of us that need real buttons and ergonomic shape.

The problem with the Kindles (and all other brands of ereaders) isn't so much that they need to be changed but that there isn't enough variety of models.  That's really what I was talking about.  I'd like to see Amazon make an ereader as small as the Oasis that doesn't have the potential battery issue.  And also without buttons.  There's no reason they can't do it.  But they probably won't.

I also wasn't saying the battery is defective in the Oasis, only that it's design is such that it probably won't last as long as the others.

As for battery life Oasis vs Voyage, the total capacity of the Oasis is quite a bit greater than the Voyage and it should get better battery life if it's used with the cover on.  I had the impression that it actually does.  I think the Voyage is rated at 6 weeks and the Oasis is rated at 2 months.

I like the design of the Oasis.  I just wish there was one like it that was right for me.

Barry

Offline northofdivision

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
    « Reply #711 on: January 01, 2017, 08:02:14 am »
    The problem with the Kindles (and all other brands of ereaders) isn't so much that they need to be changed but that there isn't enough variety of models.  That's really what I was talking about.  I'd like to see Amazon make an ereader as small as the Oasis that doesn't have the potential battery issue.  And also without buttons.  There's no reason they can't do it.  But they probably won't.

---------------
    Isamilis, I like the various shades that the different gens provide as well.

Gonna have to agree with you, Barry. I sure wouldn't mind them rolling out a 5" pocket one for when i'm skateboarding or biking. Oasis has been doing well for me though but a little too fragile to backpocket it without it's case. Uncased, I'll throw my Oasis and K4 in a jean jacket pocket and it gets the job done. As for battery life, no complaints since the K2.
    Stanley
    =====
    Google Pixel, Ipad Mini4/5
    Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Oasis 7"
    Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura One 8", Likebook 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #712 on: January 01, 2017, 09:57:08 am »
    Amazon's big thing is selling books, not Kindles.  They want the Kindles to be good enough to sell books and they really don't have any motivation to make them any better than that.  That's especially true since all the other ereader makers are also just concerned with selling books.

In a perfect world books would be sold by Amazon that could be read on whatever ereader we happened to have and the ereaders would be made by electronics manufacturers who would compete madly to make sure they had the best devices and the most choices.  We'd have to pay a lot more for ereaders if that happened but it would be well worth it.

That's not to say Kindles aren't excellent devices.  They are.  They're the best that are available.  But they're nothing compared to what ereaders might be if manufacturers were competing to make the best one.

My ideal ereader would be the size and shape of a 4.5" phone but would have e-ink with a front light instead of LCD.  It would fit in my shirt pocket comfortably.  I'm sure we all could think of an ideal ereader for ourselves.  But the Kindle is good enough and it's cheap and we really have no other option so we're happy.  Everybody wins a little.  There are no losers.  But with a better system we'd all win a lot.

Barry

Offline avivs

• View Profile
    « Reply #713 on: January 11, 2017, 12:01:49 am »
    So I've been reading the Oasis for about 2 weeks now. I enjoy reading it very much, however:
    1. The light could have been better. there is a small different between the left side and the right side (More blue compare to more yellow). I have a feeling that that's just the way it is. I don't have any shadows on the side of the screen, so that's good.
    2. the battery life - No matter what anyone say, I has the PW2 for 3 years, and the battery there was better than the one on the Oasis. The oasis does not last for months, not if you are more than an average reader.
    I know that charging a devise once every 2 weeks is not a big deal, but Amazon has got us used to much better figures.
    3. The "Waking Up" part when you open the kindle - Why? Older versions shouldn't open faster than a new version.
    4. The buttons are great. just great. 

By the way - did anyone here asked Amazon for a replacement cover? do they send a new one? do they ask for the old one back?
    (I have a feeling that in about a year I will need a new cover).

Offline isamilis

• View Profile
    « Reply #714 on: January 11, 2017, 12:29:02 am »
    I asked the replacement cover.  They sent the refurbished one and not asking the original one send back to them.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #715 on: January 11, 2017, 04:44:22 am »
    3. The "Waking Up" part when you open the kindle - Why? Older versions shouldn't open faster than a new version.

This is a feature, not a bug.

The Oasis has a 'deep sleep' mode that it goes into after it's been in 'sleep' longer than some set period of time. So, yeah, it takes longer to wake out of that. I believe it's supposed to help with battery life and I don't think there's any way to turn the feature off. I can't say for sure it works -- I only read on my Oasis for an hour a so a day, usually right before bed. But I never assumed that the 'life' given in the specs was at all realistic. . . . 2 weeks has always been about par for me in terms of when I need to recharge. As far as I can remember. Honestly, I don't think about it much. When it tells me it's low, I plug it in the next time I stop reading. :)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline INFINUS

• India
    • Follow The Sound Radiated From Light
      • View Profile
    « Reply #716 on: January 11, 2017, 04:56:12 am »
    Here are few pics of my Kindle Oasis UN-boxing.

Offline patrickt

• Oaxaca, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #717 on: January 11, 2017, 09:56:37 am »
    Companies like Kindle have my sympathy. It gets incredibly difficult to decide, "what do we do now?" Going to a touch screen from buttons was an easy decision and adding a light was an easy decision. Since then, it's been little improvements that were not, for me, worth it. For me, Kindle peaked with the Paperwhite but I'm hoping for another peak in the future.

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
    • Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Craig-Hasen.com
    « Reply #718 on: January 12, 2017, 09:47:07 pm »
    Been using my new Oasis for a while now. Love it.

But I HATE the new font Amazon insensitively named "Open Dyslexic" or whatever they called it. Hey Amazon, get bent! (My wife is dyslexic.)
    I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs, and I will shout it from the rooftops. -Stephen King

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #719 on: January 13, 2017, 03:47:00 am »
    Craig--

Good to see you back on KB!!!

As far as the font, Amazon is using an open source font, and that's the name of the font--Amazon didn't choose it. It's designed to help people with dyslexia.

http://opendyslexic.org

Betsy
    « Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 03:51:41 am by Betsy the Quilter »
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #720 on: January 13, 2017, 04:04:01 am »
    What Betsy said . . . and, of course, you don't have to use it if it doesn't work for you. Lots of other choices. ;)

As your wife is dyslexic, it would be interesting to hear her thoughts on whether it helps for her.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Forster

• Montana
      • View Profile
    « Reply #721 on: January 13, 2017, 07:44:12 am »
    I've been toying with getting an Oasis, but my PW from 2013 is still running strong.  I've come close a few times but just can't quite pull the trigger and I'm perfectly happy with my paperwhite even though it's not the newest model PW.  Sigh, I'll probably wait till the PW dies or they come out with an Oasis 2.  I think I would like the buttons as the page turn on the PW can be a bit wonky at times with delays.
    « Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 07:46:16 am by Forster »
    "Authors get the most publicity at launch and need to strike while the iron is hot. If readers can't get their preferred format at that moment, they may buy a different book or just not buy a book at all." - An Amazon spokesman.

It doesnt matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people dont read anymore. 40% percent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year. The whole conception is flawed at the top because people dont read anymore. - S. Jobs

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #722 on: January 13, 2017, 09:48:26 am »
    The Paperwhite 2013 is probably the 1st generation.  Starting with the 2nd generation they put in a faster CPU with speeds up page turns considerably.  I think it's the same CPU that's used in the Oasis but you might want to double check that.

Barry

Offline Forster

• Montana
      • View Profile
    « Reply #723 on: January 13, 2017, 10:59:26 am »
    The Paperwhite 2013 is probably the 1st generation.  Starting with the 2nd generation they put in a faster CPU with speeds up page turns considerably.  I think it's the same CPU that's used in the Oasis but you might want to double check that.

Barry

It is a 1st gen. (got it first half of 2013) because getting rid of the keyboard and having the built in lights would have appealed to me.  My kids snapped up my Kindle keyboards (with the light covers) from me.  They're still using them.
    "Authors get the most publicity at launch and need to strike while the iron is hot. If readers can't get their preferred format at that moment, they may buy a different book or just not buy a book at all." - An Amazon spokesman.

It doesnt matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people dont read anymore. 40% percent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year. The whole conception is flawed at the top because people dont read anymore. - S. Jobs

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #724 on: January 13, 2017, 01:11:12 pm »
    I have all 3 Paperwhite models and the latter 2 do have faster page turns.  When I read with the PW1 the first page or two that bothers me and then I forget all about it.  I also have the Voyage and the latter 2 Paperwhites turn pages as fast as the Voyage.  I don't have the Oasis but I think I read that it still uses the same CPU.

Barry

KBoards.com

• Advertisement