Author Topic: Question for those who went from Voyage to Oasis  (Read 4231 times)  

Offline kkay5

• View Profile
Question for those who went from Voyage to Oasis
« on: May 05, 2016, 08:33:53 am »
I am wanting to upgrade from my PW and I can't decide between the Voyage and the Oasis.  The reason I would consider the Voyage is the automatic light adjustment.  I love the idea of having the brightness level adjusted automatically.  But there are also features I like that the Oasis has like the page turn buttons.

So I am curious.  For those that have upgraded from the Voyage to the Oasis, do you miss the automatic brightness adjustment or is that not a big deal to you?

Thanks!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    Re: Question for those who went from Voyage to Oasis
    « Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 09:23:02 am »
    I don't think I was ever patient enough with the Voyage to get the Auto-brightness to work for me.  It was always wanting to go to something a LOT brighter than I wanted so I'd have to squint, adjust the light and try again.  After a few times I gave up and turned it off and just left the light around 10-12.  That worked fine for me so I don't miss the sensor at all.
    But I have heard from folks who had it calibrated properly and they loved that feature and were upset to see it missing from the Oasis.
    I don't really have any advice for you since it's such a personal thing, but if you haven't had it on your PW and go to the Oasis, you certainly won't miss it since you've never had it.  If you go the Voyage and get accustomed to it, you will probably find it difficult to do without it on later models.

Offline Muddypawz

• Louisiana
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 09:26:42 am »
    I don't have a Voyage so can't directly answer your question but perhaps you can do a search for the automatic light adjustment and read previous posts by those who've used it.

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Maine, USA
    • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 09:43:20 am »
    I never used it on my Voyage so I don't miss it at all.

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Eilene

• Maryland
    • Believe in yourself...never give up
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 09:47:11 am »
    I never used it either. Too fussy & was always darker than I liked the light level at.
    Eilene

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind   
                                                     Dr.Seuss

Online ShinyTop

• Pensacola
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 09:53:18 am »
    Tried the auto adjust and did not like it so turned it off on my Voyage.
    Its unlucky to be superstitious.

Offline nikkidog

• Ohio
    • Happy Voyage, Oasis2 & 3 & Paperwhite owner
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 10:09:25 am »
    I have a Voyage and love the auto light adjustment.  I went into a dimly lit room and set the brightness I was comfortable with and then a brightly lit room and set the brightness I was comfortable with.  It starts out a little bright when you first start to read but within a few minutes it automatically dims the brightness and it is perfect.  I do miss that feature on the Oasis.

Offline Kathy

• Lighthouse Point, FL
    • Member 376
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 10:13:47 am »
    I hated the auto adjustment. Turned if off.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 10:21:06 am »
    I never used it on my Voyage.  I don't change the light setting much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline kkay5

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 10:37:13 am »
    That's really interesting that so many didn't use it!  That would be the only reason for choosing a Voyage over the Oasis for me.  It's making the Oasis look better and better.   ;D

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 11:20:12 am »
    I have a Voyage and love the auto light adjustment.  I went into a dimly lit room and set the brightness I was comfortable with and then a brightly lit room and set the brightness I was comfortable with.  It starts out a little bright when you first start to read but within a few minutes it automatically dims the brightness and it is perfect.  I do miss that feature on the Oasis.

This is how I feel.

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 11:24:06 am »
    I also turned off the auto-adjust on my Voyage.   I never liked the resulting brightness. 

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 12:47:06 pm »
    I used it on the Voyage . . . but, after a few days with the Oasis I'm not missing it. But: I'm not a person who often wants to read in a very dark room . . . . If it's that dark, I'm probably ready to sleep.

The few times that the hubs has gone to bed before me and I decide to read a bit before bed, I never read very long because the room is dark and I get sleepy. I don't need the light on the kindle up as high, and the Voyage would adjust itself, but it's not a big deal to adjust it manually if I read late on the Oasis.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Sage

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 01:16:58 pm »
    I do miss the adaptive lighting on the Voyage, and always kept the auto-brightness turned on.  After having the Oasis for just a few days, I'm getting used to manually adjusting the light level.  I wished they'd kept that feature in the Oasis since I got spoiled by having it, but I realize I'm probably in the minority.  If it means better battery life and lighter weight then I can live without it....just like I did on the Paperwhite 3 (which I still use as my to-go Kindle).  For me the overall design of the Oasis and page turn buttons are the most important factors.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 01:41:29 pm »
    I did use it on the Voyage for the longest time. Once trained, it worked quite well. With one exception. At night it kept going up and down, depending on which way I leaned towards the side lamp. More light, it would go up, less, it would go down. not a huge amount, as I trained it well, but enough to annoy at times. I had that also sometimes on the sofa with my side lamp and TV on. I like to rotate my hips, legs around when I read, or lean this or that way.

The other thing that happened a while back was that I accidentally messed up my settings. I hit the full blast level when I didn't mean to and for some reason, it refused to learn my preferences again just so. Seemed to be off a notch. Even changing it, I then would not let go of the high setting, even though I kept lowering it again.

So I turned it off a few weeks ago. Set it on 10 I believe and let it go. At night I put it at 9 in bed. So now I am already used to not having it. 10 again on Oasis all day inside or out, 9 at night in bed.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 02:18:24 pm »
    I've always kept the adaptive brightness turned off on my Voyage and on all my tablets that have it.  It's always adjusting the light.  With the adaptive brightness turned off the light stays where I put it.

I don't care for reading in dark rooms and maybe for that it would be useful.  In summer I used to sit on my porch and read at night but now I have a smoking neighbor so I can't do that anymore.  But that was as close as I came to reading in the dark.  I couldn't turn on the porch light or I'd have mosquitoes trying to read over my shoulder.  I would sometimes lower the light when I did that but it's one of the few times and even then I often just left it as it was.

The same is true for tablets that have adaptive lighting.  I always turn that feature off, set the brightness where I like it and just forget it.  I almost never used tablets in the dark.

When I read in bed I have a lamp on on my nightstand. When I read in the living room I nearly always have the ceiling lights off but the light over the kitchen sink is always on so I have a dim light in the room.  I can go from the living room to bed and never change the light.  It's always just right. I leave it about 12, sometimes 13, occasionally 14, depending on how tired my eyes are.

Now if the Kindle would adapt the light to the tiredness of my eyes I might consider adaptive lighting but I haven't found the way to turn that on yet.

Barry

Barry

Offline spiritedcharm

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 03:58:21 pm »
    The auto light was one of the reasons I was initially lured to the Voyage so I really wanted to like it, but as much as I tried to calibrate it, it never worked like I wanted it to. I eventually I turned it off and never missed it. On the other hand, page turn buttons were never on my wish list, but now that I have the Oasis, I wouldn't want to be without them. The Oasis is my favorite ereader so far!
    « Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 02:57:21 am by spiritedcharm »

Offline Jen200

• OK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 05:09:26 pm »
    I loved it on my voyage. I haven't had the Oasis long enough yet to see if I miss it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline GBear

• New Hampshire
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 06:07:18 pm »
    I am wanting to upgrade from my PW and I can't decide between the Voyage and the Oasis.  The reason I would consider the Voyage is the automatic light adjustment.  I love the idea of having the brightness level adjusted automatically.  But there are also features I like that the Oasis has like the page turn buttons.

So I am curious.  For those that have upgraded from the Voyage to the Oasis, do you miss the automatic brightness adjustment or is that not a big deal to you?

Thanks!
    kKay, I agree with you that this would be a tough decision. While I don't think I'm ready yet to move on from my PW2, I've been reading all the Oasis threads and wondering which device I would prefer. People seemed to love the premium leather origami cover for Voyage, so I see the price comparison of Voyage plus cover to be almost even. I really like the concept of the adaptive light and built-in cover-stand on Voyage, although with PW I haven't actually had a chance to try out either one. I read most nights in bed with the light off, so twice a day I'm switching between my nighttime and daytime light settings, so I think adaptive lighting would be great if it works. I'd probably prefer the Oasis buttons to those on Voyage (and, again, I have neither now), but I do very little one-handed reading so much of the benefit of balance and lightness wouldn't matter that much to me (I don't think).

I'll be interested to hear from more people who have hands-on experience with both; which they prefer, especially if they enjoyed the adaptive lighting and the origami cover. Over in the First Impressions thread, I'm happy to see lots of people in love with their new Oasis, but I'm also seeing quite a few people sending it back because they find that their current Kindles are just as lovable.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 06:55:42 pm »
    I haven't used the Voyage yet but I do have all three Paperwhites and the Voyage.  Of those my preferred device is the Voyage but not by much.  My Paperwhite 3 has a similar screen, actually a slightly better one for me since I prefer it's color to that of the Voyage but that's such a minor thing it's barely part of the calculation.  The Paperwhite has rounder edges than the Voyage so in that way it's easier to hold although it's heavier and larger and more clumsy.

The difference is very small. I could be perfectly happy with any of these readers.  I'm glad I got the Voyage but not for any real reason I can think of.  I just like it. :)

Barry

Offline isamilis

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 02:09:42 am »
    Just to share my experience, coming from PW3 and received Oasis recently. My main reason for choosing Oasis is because of weight. My brother in law has Voyage, while the screen is better than PW3 but in overall it has similar dimension and weight with PW3. I have also Amazon cover in PW3 which obviously added the weight as well. Now, I am very satisfied with the new Oasis. I didnt experience back pain anymore as I read during commute 1-2 hours standing every day. I also like typing Notes in Oasis which is much accurate and faster than in PW3. Not sure, whether this is due to different firmware (PW3 = 5.6.5, Oasis 5.8.7) or not.
    « Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 02:12:09 am by isamilis »

Offline mwvickers

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: December 16, 2016, 10:41:44 am »
    I own and love my Voyage.  I tried an Oasis, but ended up sending it back.  As I posted in another thread, I may not have given it a fair chance, however, and have actually considered ordering another one and trying again. 

I do love the autoadjust feature for the light on the Voyage.  I leave mine on, and it really helps me as I read at night or move to a lighter room. 

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: January 04, 2017, 05:15:25 pm »
    Emy Sharaf just posted in several threads, saying something very simple in each and then calling attention to the signature, which is a fairly obvious attempt at an ad with links.  It's in such poor English that it's hard to be very sure but I have a feeling we're being spammed.

Barry

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #23 on: January 04, 2017, 05:19:55 pm »
    Taken care of.  ;)

For everyone, best way to handle a suspected spammer is to report one of his or her posts using the report to moderator link found in every post.  That ensures that all of the moderators of the forum see it and that any of the moderators on that board can take care of the problem, thanks!

Betsy
    « Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 05:29:59 pm by Betsy the Quilter »
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: January 04, 2017, 05:45:13 pm »
    Will do!

Barry

KBoards.com

• Advertisement