NetGalley

Author Topic: Annotating pdf files  (Read 1197 times)  

Offline jheydt

• The Villages, FL
    • View Profile
Annotating pdf files
« on: May 11, 2016, 05:47:04 AM »
I recently downloaded our band concerts music to my fire as pdf files.  I would like to be able to annotate those files with instructions, changes etc.  Our band leader has an ipad (the big and expensive one) and is able to annotate her music files on her ipad.  I'm just wondering whether there is any program that I can download on my fire that will allow me to annotate my music. 

By the way she also has a bluetooth foot pedal which allows her to turn the pages of her music.  I thought that was interesting.

John

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: Annotating pdf files
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 05:48:01 AM »
There are quite a few.  Let me see what I have.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 05:57:22 AM »
This is the one I've had for a while now, though I hadn't used it recently (I'm on my iPad more for this kind of stuff).  It works well:

EZ PDF Reader

I know it says "Reader" but you can edit with it, too.

Betsy

Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 05:58:37 AM »
A couple of members of our group use the iPad exclusively for performances -- in our case, it's church services. One has his go into a larger display, and one just uses the iPad. Both have foot pedals. They use an app called 4score. Basically it lets you take individual PDFS and combine them into a play list so then all you have to do is page through. And you can annotate as needed.

I've found something similar for Android   MobileSheetsPro Music Reader

There's a slightly cheaper option -- probably has fewer features.  There's also a free version through Google Play, but that link is for the Amazon store and, with luck, it'll work on your Fire. FWIW, it shows as compatible with both Fires I have, an HDX7 and an HD8.

I have NOT had time to play with the above much, but it looks promising.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline jheydt

• The Villages, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 08:12:39 AM »
Thanx for the reply Ann.  I did do a search for pdf editors and found quite a few, both free and non-free.  I did download a program and will try it out but I see that there a many alternatives.  I was able to practice last night using my fire hdx 8.9 and was able to play using the vertical position.  If I put it horizontally it only showed about 5 or 6 lines and I would have to scroll the screen.  This would work if there were rests on that page so I could scroll the screen but wanted to try it vertically.  I refuse to purchase an ipod just for the music.  However, I thought about getting the fire 10.1 as the price is more reasonable.  However for now I'll continue with my hdx 8.9.

Again thanx for your response.

John

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 12:45:56 PM »
4score is great, there is nothing like it in Amazon Appstore (or Google Play that I know of).

However,  ezPDF is not bad, and for example will let you crop the PDF so you don't waste so much screen. Another option is Adobe Reader. It does do annotations and has a 'continuous' (scrolling) mode that might work well with music scores (ezPDF may have that too, I just haven't used it lately). Adobe Reader includes some free cloud storage with Adobe. The same foot switch that works with iPad will also work with the Fire (with suitable configuration), or you could use a keyboard with cursor and page keys (a little harder to operate with feet, however).

« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 12:51:08 PM by tsemple »

Offline jheydt

• The Villages, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 06:01:18 PM »
Just an update.  I decided to purchase the 18" Samsung View Tablet and downloaded Mobilesheets pro.  Its a wonderful program.  It allows me to annotate my music scores and highlight key changes etc.  I can also show 2 pages on one screen using full screen mode.  My band director uses dropbox to send musical scores out to band members.  If I didn't have my tablet I would have to print the scores.  I have dropbox on all my tablets and the music appears on all of them.  If I make any changes the changes are done on all the tablets.  As far as I can tell there about 10 band mambers who are using tablets to read their music.  Some have blue tooth foot pedals which allows them to change pages without scrolling the screen.  I have no problems reaching to scroll the screen as I play a euphonium and can take my hand off the horn but if I played something like a clarinet that would be a problem.

John

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 03:29:52 AM »
Thanks for the report John . . . I've had time to use Mobile Sheets a bit but the whole 'electronic sheet music' thing doesn't work as well for me. I play flute but I'm not always playing from a written part. Sometimes I have to improvise from the guitar lead sheet. As a result, I often need to have 2 or maybe 3 pages visible at a time. I could do two by getting a large tablet like you have -- and that's definitely a thought; not sure I was aware of an 18" device such as you describe -- but 3 is going to be harder! :o 

PLUS, most of the music we have available is NOT available as a PDF, though our group director can make it so. It's an ongoing complaint against the music publisher (church music). The paper accompaniment edition comes with holes punched and you just pull out the pieces you need for each Sunday. They do have an "eBook" but you can't extract just the pages you need and set them as a separate playlist so you have to, effectively, work with all 700 or 800 pieces at a time. It's not useful at all -- but they're apparently worried about illegal distribution. I want the composers to get paid as much as the next guy, but by doing it this way, to me, they're basically BEGGING people to break the DRM and/or physically copy the whole paper book into PDF so that they can have usable 'performance' copies. :(
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 03:33:38 AM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR