Author Topic: Living with the Kindle Oasis -- one month in. (Semi-long term impressions)  (Read 12793 times)  

Offline stevene9

• View Profile
I've been reading a lot the last few days and had the "minutes left" disappear just once.  I'm still trying to figure out if it's something I'm doing or the device...

Betsy

Everyone seems to have the same problem. It can't be all of us, it must be a glitch in the device or software. I doubt returning a unit for a new one will change anything. I suspect the people who haven't had this problem are people who haven't noticed it. While I hope Amazon can fix it with a software update in the future. it doesn't bother me enough that I would give up my Oasis because of it, not even close.

Steve

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
    • Live! Live! Live! Life is a Banquet!
      • View Profile
    I'm only a week old and jumping in purely because of the stands.   I've ordered, but not yet received, an AmazonBasics stand that looks like it will do the job nicely and kinda looks robo enough for it to be fun.

It was just under $8 and it should work on my other devices as well as the Oasis so that's the best plus for me.  The proof will be whether it stands nicely on an uneven surface like a bed; I often read sprawled out on my stomach with a chin pillow propping me up so it needs to stand on it's own devices or it's broken   :)

Offline larryb52

• one day at a time
      • View Profile
    well called again and I was told to return it and reorder so its in the UPS system for return and I'm sorry I could not secure a replacement within the 30days I have no idea why they advertise it when you can't get that. So the Oasis turns into a crap shoot of order and hope you get a good one...this is not the way Amazon use to be and with the prices of e books going up makes you wonder if this is the same Amazon that started in the late 90's and I'm tired of the customer service folks being from countries that say my name wrong, kind of insulting....
    Larry

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    Everyone seems to have the same problem. It can't be all of us, it must be a glitch in the device or software. I doubt returning a unit for a new one will change anything. I suspect the people who haven't had this problem are people who haven't noticed it. While I hope Amazon can fix it with a software update in the future. it doesn't bother me enough that I would give up my Oasis because of it, not even close.

Steve

I'm tending to think it's neither a glitch in the device (at least not what I think of as a glitch) or in the software, though I don't have enough data to really even convince myself.

I just had it happen for the first time in a while...and I didn't notice it when it happened, but the "time left in book" was gone when I woke up my device--and one of the last things I had done in my last reading session was to rotate the device, which I don't often.  I read left handed mostly, when I rotated it, the corner with the narrow bezel under my left thumb has the "time left in book" and I suspect I brushed it without thinking.

This is a different device, with a very narrow bezel around three sides, and a "rotation" option that people aren't used to.  I'm wondering if that's the problem, at least for some of us.  With that very narrow bezel, hitting it in the wrong place could cause the issue even without rotating it.  EDIT:  And I'll note that if one reads it right handed, the "time left/page/location" is in the corner with the narrow bezel on both sides.

This is just a working hypothesis for me right now--but I'm going to be paying more attention to it.

Betsy
    « Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 04:36:22 pm by Betsy the Quilter »
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline KindleMur

• View Profile
    I have decided to wait for now and not return my Oasis because of time left in chapter anomaly. I am going to make certain it isn't me touching the screen. I've been consciously not coming close to the screen with a finger. I have read a few hours with no problem. Here's hoping.

Report later

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    I have decided to wait for now and not return my Oasis because of time left in chapter anomaly. I am going to make certain it isn't me touching the screen. I've been consciously not coming close to the screen with a finger. I have read a few hours with no problem. Here's hoping.

Report later

Thanks, KindleMur!

Whether this is indeed a glitch in the device or a consequence of the very narrow bezel and the ability to rotate, one option would be for Amazon to add a setting that allows us to "lock" the "time left/page/location" setting that we prefer. 

Betsy

Offline KindleMur

• View Profile
    I placed my Oasis in a stand so that I could not touch the screen in any way. Result = no time left anomalies. I read for about 3 hours this evening. Maybe I participated in the glitch. Betsy,your suggestion for a lock method could fix this with a software update..

Holding my horses in the mean time.

Mur

Offline HappyGuy

• Central FL
    • With God, nothing is enough for anything.
      • View Profile
    I'm thinking the time to end of chapter/time to end of book/location issue you have been having is software related. I read on my Fire and, until you all mentioned it I never noticed, but I see it switching (randomly?) between the options. Seems to happen to me only when I close the Fire or the book - that is, it doesn't seem to happen while reading.
    "From the lips of infants and children you have ordained praise..." Psalms 8:2

Member 342

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    I'm thinking the time to end of chapter/time to end of book/location issue you have been having is software related. I read on my Fire and, until you all mentioned it I never noticed, but I see it switching (randomly?) between the options. Seems to happen to me only when I close the Fire or the book - that is, it doesn't seem to happen while reading.

Noting, of course, that the Fires have totally different software from the eInk Kindles.   ;)

I'm starting to think that perhaps we need a separate thread to discuss this?  Maybe in Tips, Tricks and Troubleshooting, where we could discuss dealing with end of book/location issues across models?

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    My 3G Walnut Oasis arrived on May 4th so I am not now officially past the one-month mark :)

I have used it pretty much every day since it arrived, with a minimum time of about an hour up to several long reading stretches of 6-7 hours.  I find that I have to charge it every 4-5 days, and that is a little more frequently that I have to charge my Voyage.
    I am still experimenting with reading it in the case vs nekkid.  It's almost too thin, even with the thicker part, for me to hold comfortably, but I keep trying.  I think it's more a matter of balance and I haven't gotten it just right yet.  I did change the page forward button to be on the bottom.  LOVE the buttons.  I thought the Page Press sensors on the Voyage were pretty good, but I definitely like actual physical buttons better.  I hold my Kindles in my left hand - that's a throwback to the original Kindle where the entire right side was a page forward button so it was easier to pick it up without turning a page if you used your left hand.  If I am reading while it's plugged in, then I switch it over so the cable connects on the top.
    The cover is nice.  I'm still not certain that I made the right choice with the Walnut cover, but I haven't seen a Merlot one in person yet, so it's hard to say.  I did skin the Oasis and the feel is better and there are fewer fingerprints.
    Regarding the reading progress indicator in the lower left corner - mine does disappear from time to time, but I am pretty sure I am doing it by touching the screen.  Of course if I try to change the setting deliberately that way, it doesn't work consistently.  The issue is worse with my Voyage - probably because of the thinner bezel.
    For me, it's definitely a keeper and if something happened to it, I'd be looking for a way to replace it as soon as possible.
    « Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 12:37:46 pm by Andra »

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    My 3G Walnut Oasis arrived on May 4th so I am not officially past the one-month mark :).

I think you meant "now" so, yes, you are.  And if you meant "not," then, no, you are. :D

Thanks for the long term impressions--I'm a left-handed reader, too, and your experiences are similar to mine.

Betsy

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    I think you meant "now" so, yes, you are.  And if you meant "not," then, no, you are. :D

Thanks for the long term impressions--I'm a left-handed reader, too, and your experiences are similar to mine.

Betsy

I read over that post at least three times and didn't catch that one.  Thanks!  It's fixed now.

Offline BettyR

• View Profile
    I got my Oasis about a month ago, with the Walnut cover.  I too lose my location occasionally, and can't figure out why.  I think I must be accidentally pressing at the bottom of the page.

Anyway, I love my Oasis.  I hadn't had a nice cover before, and I love being able to hold it like a book.  It is such a luxurious feel! 

I had the Voyage previously, and I have noticed a couple of very minor things.  The first is that the screen on the Oasis feels silkier.  It just has a smoother feel than the Voyage.  The second minor thing is that the bottom bezel is narrower than the Voyage.  This means when I am on the treadmill, the last line of text almost gets clipped off by the ledge on the treadmill.  And when I read in bed, the Oasis is supported on my chest, and the last line is a bit lower than what it was on the Voyage.
    Notice I said "minor"....I can still read the last line.  It's just that I have to tilt my head down a bit. 

The rest of my observations are similar to what others have reported.  No adaptive light control, but longer battery life if I leave it in the cover.  All in all, I am very happy with my purchase. 

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    I got my Oasis about a month ago, with the Walnut cover.  I too lose my location occasionally, and can't figure out why.  I think I must be accidentally pressing at the bottom of the page.

Anyway, I love my Oasis.  I hadn't had a nice cover before, and I love being able to hold it like a book.  It is such a luxurious feel! 

I had the Voyage previously, and I have noticed a couple of very minor things.  The first is that the screen on the Oasis feels silkier.  It just has a smoother feel than the Voyage.  The second minor thing is that the bottom bezel is narrower than the Voyage.  This means when I am on the treadmill, the last line of text almost gets clipped off by the ledge on the treadmill.  And when I read in bed, the Oasis is supported on my chest, and the last line is a bit lower than what it was on the Voyage.
    Notice I said "minor"....I can still read the last line.  It's just that I have to tilt my head down a bit. 

The rest of my observations are similar to what others have reported.  No adaptive light control, but longer battery life if I leave it in the cover.  All in all, I am very happy with my purchase.

Two things--you could read with it in landscape mode at night or on the treadmill--and put the wider bezel at the bottom.  Or, on your treadmill, you could put a pencil in the ledge below the Oasis to raise it up a bit (if I'm picturing your setup correctly).  Glad you're loving your Oasis!

Betsy

Offline kschles

• Jacksonville, FL
      • View Profile
    For the last three to four days, I've been VERY careful how I hold my Oasis. During this time I did not have any occurences of the bottom left screen indicator changing information (mine is set to minutes left until the end of the chapter). I really do think the problem is user error, but the very thin bezel design of the Oasis has proven to contribute to the headache.
    Ken

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    I really do think the problem is user error, but the very thin bezel design of the Oasis has proven to contribute to the headache.

I've come to think this, too--along with, at least for those who do it, the rotating of the device. :D. We've not had either the very thin bezel or the ability to rotate with other devices (at least not since the DX was introduced yea these many years :D).

Betsy

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    I've had mine for over a month and have to say I love just about everything about the Oasis. I love having the buttons back and being able to switch hands and keep reading. I find myself doing that a lot depending on how I am sitting or laying, and it is so seemless to flip and keep going. I haven't written down when I charge the battery, but it does seem like I am charging it every 4-5 days, which is more than my Voyage. Not a big deal since I can just plug it in at night anyway, but not sure it's an improvement for me. I do miss the adaptive light feature though. If I had one thing I could change on the Oasis, I would ask for that back. Otherwise, I find it easy to hold and love the size and weight. The Oasis is very much a step up from the Voyage, for me. I've loved all of my kindles, but this has to be my favorite I think.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    The Oasis is very much a step up from the Voyage, for me. I've loved all of my kindles, but this has to be my favorite I think.

I agree.

Seems like every 4-5 days is about what most people are finding.

Betsy

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    I will add that DH got his wi-fi only Oasis the day that I got my 3G version.  He more closely resembles the person Amazon uses to estimate battery life.  He reads maybe 30 minutes a day.  I made sure it was fully charged when he got it and he is still on the original charge.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    I will add that DH got his wi-fi only Oasis the day that I got my 3G version.  He more closely resembles the person Amazon uses to estimate battery life.  He reads maybe 30 minutes a day.  I made sure it was fully charged when he got it and he is still on the original charge.

Remind me again how long that's been? :D. I'm soooo lazy.

Betsy

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    Remind me again how long that's been? :D. I'm soooo lazy.

Betsy

"His" came from Best Buy on releast day and I used it until mine arrived.  So he has been using it on a single charge since he got it on May 4th.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    I have been puzzled by the reports of "minutes remaining " disappearing or having other anomalies. Never noticed such issues on my Oasis. I finally remembered to pay repeated attention to the issue during a long reading session last night. No problem whatsoever with disappearing or changing times or percent remaining. I guess I'm just lucky!
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    I have been puzzled by the reports of "minutes remaining " disappearing or having other anomalies. Never noticed such issues on my Oasis. I finally remembered to pay repeated attention to the issue during a long reading session last night. No problem whatsoever with disappearing or changing times or percent remaining. I guess I'm just lucky!

After being very careful with my Oasis over time, I've come to the conclusion that the issues with that, at least the ones I was having, were accidental touches caused by the very narrow bezel and rotating it.  If you're more adept than I, you probably won't have any problems. :D

Betsy

Offline GBear

• New Hampshire
      • View Profile
    After being very careful with my Oasis over time, I've come to the conclusion that the issues with that, at least the ones I was having, were accidental touches caused by the very narrow bezel and rotating it.  If you're more adept than I, you probably won't have any problems. :D

Betsy
    I wonder if the extra "handle area" of the case helps, or maybe exacerbates, the issue. Are people seeing this more with or without the case on?

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    I wonder if the extra "handle area" of the case helps, or maybe exacerbates, the issue. Are people seeing this more with or without the case on?

With one exception during a marathon reading session that drained the Oasis, I've never even considered reading with the case on. Whether that is tied to my lack of time and location problems I don't know.
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

KBoards.com

• Advertisement