Author Topic: I need help with Photoshop  (Read 816 times)  

Offline Hudson Owen

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
    • Hudson Owen's Blog
I need help with Photoshop
« on: June 06, 2016, 04:43:56 pm »
It's been awhile since I published a book.  When I got to the section where you upload your cover I found that I could not get my image from Photoshop into the Amazon browser.  I tried every sort of solution, but could not do it.  Fearing the loss of all that preceding data, quite a bit, I decided to make my own cover using their cover generator on the promise that doing so would save my efforts.  I spent about 15 minutes with it.  It's a clever sort of program and I came up with a not-so-bad-cover.

I've made a number of my own covers on Photoshop 5.5, but because of a stroke and time off from doing this, was stumped by this task.  Assuming that I can replace one cover with another, how do I get my image from Photoshop into the browser for cover images in the book building program?  By the way, I got through the whole thing and now am waiting word on the finished book.  The little wheel takes forever to grind away.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline S.R.

• View Profile
    Re: I need help with Photoshop
    « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 05:05:23 pm »
    [My posts have been deleted in response to the unannounced KBoards TOS change that was made by the new forum owner (VerticalScope) -- I do not agree to the new terms and have requested that my account be deleted as well]
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 03:44:10 pm by S.R. »

Offline Hudson Owen

• Brooklyn, NY
      • View Profile
      • Hudson Owen's Blog
    « Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 05:16:47 pm »
    Are you able to export the file so it's no longer a Photoshop document?

This helps quite a bit!  Thanks.

Offline Hudson Owen

• Brooklyn, NY
      • View Profile
      • Hudson Owen's Blog
    « Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 05:18:16 pm »
    Are you able to export the file so it's no longer a Photoshop document?

Not sure what you mean by that.

Offline G.

• Author of The Silvering Series fantasy books
      • View Profile
      • The Silvering Series
    « Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 05:20:44 pm »
    I have CS6. The procedure SallyRose described works, except you use the command, save for web, to export the jpg.
    « Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 05:24:57 pm by G. »

My Website

Offline S.R.

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 05:27:19 pm »
    [My posts have been deleted in response to the unannounced KBoards TOS change that was made by the new forum owner (VerticalScope) -- I do not agree to the new terms and have requested that my account be deleted as well]
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 03:42:43 pm by S.R. »

Offline Hudson Owen

• Brooklyn, NY
      • View Profile
      • Hudson Owen's Blog
    « Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 05:47:25 pm »
    Good point. I have CS5, so it may be different depending on version. I "save for web" when I want a png. Save As lets me choose jpg from the drop down list under "format"

"Save for web" is not an option for me.  It doesn't work for PS 5.0 or earlier.

Offline ruecole

• Greater Vancouver, BC
      • View Profile
      • Rachel Elizabeth Cole
    « Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 06:01:52 pm »
    Is this for Kindle or Createspace? For Kindle, save it as a JPG. For Createspace, you need to save it (or export it) as a PDF. Neither KDP nor CS will accept a PSD (Photoshop file).

Hope that helps!

Rue

Rachel Elizabeth Cole Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Offline Hudson Owen

• Brooklyn, NY
      • View Profile
      • Hudson Owen's Blog
    « Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 06:16:42 pm »
    It has to be in the Save As command.  After all, I have already used it to make covers.  I've just forgotten how.  Export is a dead end.

Offline S.R.

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 06:21:28 pm »
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 03:42:03 pm by S.R. »

Offline Hudson Owen

• Brooklyn, NY
      • View Profile
      • Hudson Owen's Blog
    « Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 07:11:08 pm »
    http://www.solveyourtech.com/how-to-convert-psd-to-jpeg-in-photoshop-cs5/

If all else fails, you could do a screenshot of your cover and convert that to JPEG or TIFF from within that image (I think: I've got a Mac with a simple "Preview" app that lets me do that).

If all else fails, you could do a screenshot of your cover and convert that to JPEG or TIFF from within that image (I think: I've got a Mac with a simple "Preview" app that lets me do that).

Won't work for me.

Offline Hudson Owen

• Brooklyn, NY
      • View Profile
      • Hudson Owen's Blog
    « Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 07:16:51 pm »
    I'm getting all balled up with the Dancing Squirrel.  This might be a good time to bow out.  I thank you all for your contributions.  Good night.

Offline UnicornEmily

• Quirky, wholesome, and fun young adult fantasy!
      • View Profile
      • The Works of Emily Martha Sorensen
    « Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 07:20:06 pm »
    Hudson, I don't have experience with Photoshop 5.5, but I use Photoshop 7.0, and Save As saves whatever format I need using the drop-down menu (JPG, GIF, TIF, PDF, whatever).

Just to clarify: you said you have Photoshop 5.5.  That's Photoshop 5.5, not Photoshop CS5, right?  It's possible some of the suggestions here are coming from people who misunderstood and thought 5.5 was the same thing as CS5 (and there's more than a decade of time between them).

I'm not sure what to suggest with saving as JPG from Photoshop, but what about using a different program to do it?

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-best-ways-to-open-a-psd-file-without-photoshop/

Go2convert looks potentially promising.  The rest are probably all worthwhile options, too.  I know The GIMP is free and open source, for example.

Even if I'm not any help, I wanted to drop in and say that if you've done all of your covers yourself, some of the ones in your signature are GREAT!  I love Dear Cynthia and City of Rain, and I think A Knock at the Door and The Romantic are really good, too.
    « Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 07:22:00 pm by UnicornEmily »

Offline Hudson Owen

• Brooklyn, NY
      • View Profile
      • Hudson Owen's Blog
    « Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 11:43:42 am »
    I'm putting up a link to show you an example of Windows Book Creator (or whatever they call it).  https://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Gone-Hudson-Owen-ebook/dp/B01GOVCNNA/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1465323976&sr=1-1&keywords=You+Are+Gone+by+Hudson+Owen

I spent about 10 minutes with it.  In the end it had generated 6 image choices and 4 non-image choices.  Easy Peasy and not too sleazy.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement