Author Topic: THE DOTS ARE BACK - 5.8.1  (Read 7971 times)  

Offline larryb52

• one day at a time
    • View Profile
Re: THE DOTS ARE BACK - 5.8.1
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2016, 05:27:00 am »
I downloaded the update last night and put on the Oasis and no issues, the front page shows the covers and % read and the dots show up in my library list section...
Larry

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: June 15, 2016, 06:21:33 am »
    Don't know if it is pertinent to the conversation, but I still play Every Word on my generation 2 PW which is the main reason I carry both the PW and Voyage to work. Much prefer reading on the Voyage.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: June 15, 2016, 06:32:25 am »
    Don't know if it is pertinent to the conversation, but I still play Every Word on my generation 2 PW which is the main reason I carry both the PW and Voyage to work. Much prefer reading on the Voyage.

Interesting!

I didn't have a LOT of active content, maybe 20 titles, but I didn't use them all that often. The main one I liked was the notepad one because even when I didn't have pencil and paper with me, I probably had my kindle. When that stopped working -- PW era, but not sure what generation -- I decided at that point to cull my Amazon library of all such titles.

On topic: here's the feedback I'm sending to Amazon regarding this update
    _______
    Thanks for the update to 5.8.1 -- SOOO glad to have the dots back under the book titles in list view, as it gives a feel for how long a book is, which is important, sometimes, when deciding what to read next.

It would be even better if there was a similar system that works in 'grid view'.

I do wonder, however, why there are now check marks next to everything? Used to be, in list view, you saw check marks when showing 'all' as that indicated that it was downloaded to the device. Now, those check marks show even when only viewing books that have been 'downloaded'. That seems redundant to me, though I like that the 'new' tag has been moved over to the right side. It would be more visible, though, if the big check mark wasn't there as well. :)
    _______

Feel free to copy off my homework. ;) :D
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: June 15, 2016, 07:25:36 am »
    I haven't got the update yet - my Voyage appears to have gone to that big e-reader store in the sky this morning. It was charging and it's frozen on the USB connect screen - won't switch on, won't switch off, dead as the proverbial dodo.  :o

So I guess those pinholes may be academic now and I'll be taking advantage of the 20% off summer sale after all.  8)  (If I can manage to recover it, I'll keep it as a backup).

I never missed the dots, can't say I ever took much notice of them. Don't like the sound of the checkmarks on screen all the time - all just more clutter. I will reserve judgement till I see it all for myself - my new Voyage should be here tomorrow.  Yay! Kindlewatch!  ;D
    Linda

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: June 15, 2016, 07:41:08 am »
    Great news.  I missed the dots also - they were really helpful when deciding if I should start reading a new book later in the day.
    Now if they's just bring them back inside of the book - I liked that progress indicator much better than just a percentage.  I must be more visual in some ways than I thought.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: June 15, 2016, 07:43:19 am »
    I haven't got the update yet - my Voyage appears to have gone to that big e-reader store in the sky this morning. It was charging and it's frozen on the USB connect screen - won't switch on, won't switch off, dead as the proverbial dodo.  :o

So I guess those pinholes may be academic now and I'll be taking advantage of the 20% off summer sale after all.  8)  (If I can manage to recover it, I'll keep it as a backup).

I never missed the dots, can't say I ever took much notice of them. Don't like the sound of the checkmarks on screen all the time - all just more clutter. I will reserve judgement till I see it all for myself - my new Voyage should be here tomorrow.  Yay! Kindlewatch!  ;D

Oh no!  But . . . . yay for a new kindle . . . . .

In terms of trying to resurrect the other one, do I take it you charge from the computer?  Can you try charging from the wall? I'm sure you've done the press and hold for a long time thing to try to force it to restart. :(

Re the checkmarks, yeah, they are a bit of clutter . . . but not something I can't get used to. Mostly, for me,  it's just "why did you do this, it doesn't add anything?" I actually wonder if it might be a bug that creeped in when they programmed the new update because it is akin to the early 'cloud collections' FUBAR where it showed the same thing whether you had the device set to show 'all' or only 'downloaded'. Though you'd think someone would have noticed and said, "yeah, we don't need those there."  Anyway, I've said my piece to them, now just waiting for 5.4.2. ;)

Great news.  I missed the dots also - they were really helpful when deciding if I should start reading a new book later in the day.
    Now if they's just bring them back inside of the book - I liked that progress indicator much better than just a percentage.  I must be more visual in some ways than I thought.

For me the percentage works in a book  . . . the value of the dots on the home page, for me, is to gauge the length, but you couldn't do that visually IN a book anyway -- the bar of dots always went all the way from left to right. 'Bout all you could do was judge how fast you were filling them up, but, for me, the percentage works just as well.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 07:45:23 am by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: June 15, 2016, 07:53:32 am »
    Oh no!  But . . . . yay for a new kindle . . . . .

In terms of trying to resurrect the other one, do I take it you charge from the computer?  Can you try charging from the wall? I'm sure you've done the press and hold for a long time thing to try to force it to restart. :(

It was charging from the PC this morning at work but I'll have to wait till I get home to use the wall charger. That may well resurrect it - but as I was leaning towards replacing it anyway, this just tipped me over the edge!

I doubt the new one will come with 5.8.1 but I guess I can update it manually if it doesn't update when I first connect. Are there any other noticeable changes, apart from the the dots and the somewhat redundant 'on device' check marks?

Linda

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: June 15, 2016, 08:32:28 am »

I doubt the new one will come with 5.8.1 but I guess I can update it manually if it doesn't update when I first connect. Are there any other noticeable changes, apart from the the dots and the somewhat redundant 'on device' check marks?

Not that I've noticed . . . a new User Guide does get installed -- 4th Edition.

Here's what it says on the software update page on Amazon:

This update includes performance improvements and the following new features:

Reading Progress Dots: We listened to feedback from our customers and brought reading progress dots back to your library. You can now see reading progress and relative book length for downloaded books in the library list view.
        More Ways to Share: Recommend books to friends from About This Book.
        Kindle Unlimited Recommendations: Try Kindle Unlimited for free and see recommended Kindle Unlimited titles after choosing your favorite genres.
        Save Wi-Fi Passwords to Your Amazon Account: Save your Wi-Fi passwords to your Amazon account for future convenience. We can configure your compatible devices so that you won't need to reenter your Wi-Fi passwords on each device.

Regarding the saving passwords, I guess that's automatic now -- in the settings there is a way to to delete those saved passwords but I don't see that you can elect to NOT have them saved in the future.

Not seeing any evidence of a change in 'about this book' or KU recommendations. . . . I do see KU recs but I feel like I've seen them before as part of a rotating set of recs.

I feel like, when in list view, they've darkened/boldened the book titles -- closer to what they were before. So that's good, I think.
    « Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 08:41:44 am by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline lindnet

• Redding, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: June 15, 2016, 02:48:50 pm »
    I'm glad the dots are back!  But when I first saw the thread I got really really excited, thinking it was the progress bar in the book that was back.  I guess it's time to give up on that one, huh?   ???
    Linda

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: June 15, 2016, 03:22:13 pm »

I'm glad the dots are back!  But when I first saw the thread I got really really excited, thinking it was the progress bar in the book that was back.  I guess it's time to give up on that one, huh?   ???
    Yeah, I am afraid so. I still cling to a sliver of hope, but it gets smaller and smaller each year. I have send feedback, but it won't do much unless they get a lot of feedback on the same issues. Just like they got on the dots in question here. Lots must have emailed them. I guess a lot of newer users of kindles don't even know what they are missing as they never had the progress bar. I wish they put that in rotation for the time left, page and all that. Then it would be optional and I would be so happy. Oh well.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: June 15, 2016, 03:36:44 pm »
    I have a Paperwhite one still and I just put it in cover view and sure enough it has dots.  I never use cover view so I didn't really know they were there but sure enough.

My PW1 has the latest PW1 update, although it lacks the features of the later models.  I think the last update came out 3 or 4 months ago at the same time the new features were added to the PW2, etc.  It didn't add those features but I do think I remember there being an update at that time.

Barry

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: June 15, 2016, 05:17:41 pm »
    I guess dots are somewhat useful, but they don't scale very well: a 500 page book is about the same number of dots as a 5000 page one. I don't see how you can represent it graphically, without some reference/ruler with numbers to compare it with. Number ratios would be better, I think (locations, pages, reading time), but wouldn't make everybody happy either.

Offline ShinyTop

• Pensacola
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: June 15, 2016, 05:46:21 pm »
    Too often there are previews of other books are a short story at the end of the book.  Both the dots and the percentage are of the combined total.  I would prefer they reflect only the book's length, not the combined size.
    Its unlucky to be superstitious.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #38 on: June 15, 2016, 05:51:16 pm »
    Too often there are previews of other books are a short story at the end of the book.  Both the dots and the percentage are of the combined total.  I would prefer they reflect only the book's length, not the combined size.

The same issue exists with the time left in book/% done while reading the book.  Hate, hate, hate when the back matter pads that.  I recently read some cozy mysteries that had a dozen or more pages of recipes in the back--even though I didn't really think they were "cooking" cozies.  Very annoying!  The books all finished at 89-92%.

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: June 15, 2016, 06:14:23 pm »
    I find dots useful for comparing the lengths of books I'm thinking of reading.  Sometimes I'm in the mood for a short book and sometimes a long one.  Sometimes I don't care but a lot of the time I do.

I read novels and I don't care for combined books so 1000 pages is a very long book for me so the dots work pretty well for comparing in my case.

Barry

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: June 15, 2016, 06:26:32 pm »
    I guess dots are somewhat useful, but they don't scale very well: a 500 page book is about the same number of dots as a 5000 page one. I don't see how you can represent it graphically, without some reference/ruler with numbers to compare it with. Number ratios would be better, I think (locations, pages, reading time), but wouldn't make everybody happy either.

Well, you can already see the percentage finished you are -- even in grid mode it shows in the corner of the cover image. And in a book you can see both location/page and ratio if you want so can figure it out that way.

It is true that the dots aren't exactly to scale, but they give an idea of whether the book you're considering is fairly short, or fairly long. And that's good enough for me. :)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: June 16, 2016, 02:52:38 am »
    I updated my PW2 while I await my new Voyage and I have to say, for a major update (going from the 5.7s to the 5.8s) it's pretty disappointing.

I didn't realise how many people wanted the dots back - it leaves me as puzzled as the need for page turn buttons! As always I wish they would make these things optional, like how you can decide what you have in the lower left of the screen when you're in a book. Choices make so many more people happy than fixed options.

The marks to show your book is downloaded when in the 'downloaded' view, has to be an error - it's totally redundant. Maybe it'll get fixed later?

As for the other thing, about them saving your wi-fi passwords in the cloud - I've told it to forget mine. For no particular reason I'd rather not do that - I'm happy to manually input my password into new devices as before - it's only required the once after all.

Didn't like the Oasis, not impressed with the new updates. Goodness me, I'm turning into a complete grump. Too much work and not enough chocolate!  :o Sounds like a reasonable explanation to me.  8)
    Linda

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #42 on: June 16, 2016, 03:15:30 am »
    Linjeakel

You're making me glad that my Oasis and Voyage haven't updated yet.  :D

[email protected] ;D

I'm puzzled by what sounds like checkmarks, too.  I'm trying to remember--didn't the so-called "STOOPID" update do that?  And they've brought it back?  Why, Amazon, why? 

Betsy

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: June 16, 2016, 04:24:17 am »
    Linjeakel

[email protected] ;D

I'm puzzled by what sounds like checkmarks, too.  I'm trying to remember--didn't the so-called "STOOPID" update do that?  And they've brought it back?  Why, Amazon, why? 

Betsy

You could be right, maybe that was in the "STOOPID" update. Let's hope they get rid of it again.

I will definitely leave some feedback, but here's the thing. I think it's only mostly the people who are dissatisfied with something who leave feedback, so that's what they respond to. People who weren't happy with the original buttons told them they wanted touch screens and less buttons, so they did that. Then the people who felt differently complained, so they brought back buttons. How long before they go the other way again? It's the same thing with the dots. I was OK when they went away, but I didn't write to Amazon and say "hey, well done, you took away those untidy dots!" The only people they heard from were those who were unhappy about it.

People have more motivation to leave feedback about things they don't like, which means Amazon don't always get a balanced view of customers likes and dislikes. I'm not sure there's a solution, but it's frustrating when they put things right (according to your own viewpoint) and then change them back again.
    « Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 05:45:56 am by Linjeakel »
    Linda

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #44 on: June 16, 2016, 04:32:08 am »
    People have more motivation to leave feedback about things they don't like, which means Amazon don't always get a balanced view of customers likes and dislikes. I'm not sure there's a solution, but it's frustrating when they put things right (according to your own viewpoint) and then change them back again.

Agree.  I didn't miss the dots.  I don't think I minded them, and I probably won't mind them if they are there, but I was glad they came back because a lot of people seemed to miss them.

I can't really imagine there have been people clamoring for the checkmarks in "download" view so that one mystifies me.

Betsy

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: June 16, 2016, 05:11:21 am »
    Linjeakel

[email protected] ;D

Betsy

Yeah . . . I think it's an oversight as well, as I observed earlier in the thread:

Re the check marks, yeah, they are a bit of clutter . . . but not something I can't get used to. Mostly, for me,  it's just "why did you do this, it doesn't add anything?" I actually wonder if it might be a bug that creeped in when they programmed the new update because it is akin to the early 'cloud collections' FUBAR where it showed the same thing whether you had the device set to show 'all' or only 'downloaded'. Though you'd think someone would have noticed and said, "yeah, we don't need those there."  Anyway, I've said my piece to them, now just waiting for 5.4.2. ;)

There is a difference between this and the STOOPID update though.

With the STOOPID update, everything you owned showed on the home screen whether you had selected 'all' or 'downloaded' (or 'cloud' vs 'on device' depending on what model you have). The only difference was how it indicated that a book was on the device or not.  To me, that was the really STOOPID bit.  If I want to see all of what I have or what's in the cloud, it's useful to have a mark to indicate if that book is one that's downloaded on this device. But if I only want to see what's on the device, then I don't need a mark to show it's been downloaded because OF COURSE it's been downloaded. EXCEPT, with the STOOPID update, even when that was the option you chose, you still saw books that were NOT downloaded to the device.

NOW . . . that's not the issue -- you see everything you own when you choose 'all' and when you choose 'downloaded', you only see what's on the device. So that's the same as it's been. And there always WAS a check mark to show if a book was downloaded when you were looking at 'all'. But, NOW, in both cases there's a check mark indicating whether the book is downloaded -- a completely redundant check mark if you've chosen to only show those 'downloaded' in the first place. ::)

As I say, I can see how it could have happened -- the bit of code that puts them in in 'all' view just didn't get adjusted so that they wouldn't show in 'download' view. And if anyone even noticed, they might not have realized it hadn't always been that way. But it is weird.  They should totally hire a bunch of us to beta-test these things for 'em! ;D

And, yes, I've pointed all this out to them via [email protected] :) (well, not about the beta testing, but that's not a bad idea! :o )

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 05:14:46 am by Ann in Arlington »
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #46 on: June 16, 2016, 05:20:20 am »
    And, yes, I've pointed all this out to them via [email protected] :) (well, not about the beta testing, but that's not a bad idea! :o )

If I ever get the update, I'll complain. :D

Betsy

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: June 16, 2016, 07:30:40 am »
    I updated my voyage, i sent my oasis back for refund. My viyage has dots, and the check marks people are talking about. I like the check marks. When i look at the all books in my library there are checkmarks by the books slready on my device. No marks by ones downloaded. I find that handy. There are checkmarks by the books under downloaded, seems redundant but doesnt really bother me.
    Books read in 2010: 43 2011: 42 + the Bible 2012: 60; books read 2013:56*

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: June 16, 2016, 07:50:10 am »
    I updated my voyage, i sent my oasis back for refund. My viyage has dots, and the check marks people are talking about. I like the check marks. When i look at the all books in my library there are checkmarks by the books slready on my device. No marks by ones downloaded. I find that handy. There are checkmarks by the books under downloaded, seems redundant but doesnt really bother me.

??? You mean, maybe, that there ARE marks by ones that are downloaded/on the device and NO MARKS by the ones that are not -- when you are showing All.

But, yeah, the marks when showing "downloaded" are mostly just redundant . . . I do find I'm getting used to them, even if I think they're not necessary. ::)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline GBear

• New Hampshire
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: June 16, 2016, 10:25:27 am »
    I did miss the dots because, as others have said, I use them when choosing a book to get an idea of how big a book I might be getting into. I generally read one book at a time, and put it in the Finished collection when through, so I'm less likely to use the list-view dots for reading progress or to see if I've read a book already. I don't miss the reading progress dots in the book as much for some reason, even though I sometimes have a tough time reading the tiny progress % indicator and so would probably enjoy their return, too.

Anyway, I was thrilled to see Atunah's headline and installed the updated right away. My first thought was, "Dots Vontastic!" :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement