Author Topic: Deleted  (Read 6983 times)  

Offline WriterDude

• View Profile
Deleted
« on: June 20, 2016, 03:49:48 pm »
 :-X
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 08:06:39 am by WriterDude »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Rick Gualtieri

• NJ
    • Renaissance Geek
      • View Profile
      • RickGualtieri.com
    Good luck, Rob!

Making fantasy fun again, one corpse at a time
    Rick Gualtieri | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Bill The Vampire on FB | YouTube

Offline dorihoxa

• View Profile
    Congrats, Rob! The numbers look very good! :D

Offline J.A. Cipriano

• View Profile
    Bought a copy. If the first chapter is any indication. It'll be an awesome book.

J.A. Cipriano | Blog | Facebook

Offline Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
    I asked, Rob (!). Interestingly enough, our books are probably gonna end up linked in the also-boughts, since you had a release blast today as well. So um, our fates are kinda intertwined. Sucks for you, since my book doesn't even have keywords entered (it's for science, I swear) and it's a completely new pen name with no platform.

But seriously, I think you'll do well. Planning looks solid, and if my sales chart is any indication, UF has a voracious current readership. How long that will be the case remains to be seen (there's a new "how do I write UF?" thread on KBoards seemingly every week, so things are probably gonna get cozy soon. I mean, I didn't even know what a wizard was until yesterday, so...).

Three questions (bad things come in threes in UF, right? that's one of those trope thingies I've been hearing about):

> How far in advance did you start planning? The most successful "breakout" launches I've seen on KBoards typically started prepping about 2 - 3 months beforehand - getting readers interested, the covers in line, drafts of the blurb set up and so forth. Obviously not all at once, but getting the ball rolling early seems to help results, build buzz and aid the launch week. This being my hypothesis, I went the other way and tossed the book on Amazon with zero fanfare a couple days beforehand, like a dog unceremoniously throwing up on the rug.

> How long is BRANDED, word count wise? I'm seeing 60k as kind of the sweet spot these days (in terms of getting quality novels out fast + giving readers a satisfying read + getting decent KENP pages). Naturally, being the clever writer I am, I ignored that and went shorter, but I'm curious.

> Which flavor release blast did you use? I went for the super-nova $299 option, after trying the $149 standard one for my last release. I'm wondering how they compare. I'll throw my numbers out in this thread tomorrow for my super blast, although they can be taken with a grain of salt since I rescheduled last-minute once (Rebecca was kind of enough to push it back) and my Amazon page isn't exactly on point.

There is a slight method to my madness. I want to see just how much the book's genre positioning matters - if it's 99% of the success, 95%, 50%. By completely winging most other things, I've isolated that variable as much as Amazon allows.

Congrats on the release.

Nick

Offline Jenny Schwartz

• Australia
      • View Profile
      • My website
    I'm following with great interest. I have a new paranormal romance (kissy cousin to your UF) out next Monday and using Rebecca's 3 segment blast. I hope it is magic :)

Branded looks fabulous. The cover alone is a grabber. Congrats, and good luck!

Strangely hopeful fantasy & science fiction.
    Jenny Schwartz | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline M.D. Massey

• Austin, TX
      • View Profile
      • M.D. Massey
    Congrats, and good luck with the launch!

I write pulp.
    M.D. Massey | blog | facebook | twitter | youtube | google+ | amazon | goodreads

Offline Sarah Shaw

• Prague
      • View Profile
    Yay! I love launch threads and promo threads and... all those other experiments that I can follow along without risking any of my own cash or emotional stability! ;D

Thanks! Looks very promising so far! Good luck!

Offline Joseph J Bailey

• View Profile
      • Joseph J. Bailey - Author
    Good luck!

Keep us posted on how your launch progresses!

Joseph J. Bailey | Website | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline M.D. Massey

• Austin, TX
      • View Profile
      • M.D. Massey
    Hungry Author New Release Book Blast: That was scheduled for today. Pretty sure it's gone out, which probably explains my rank.

Rob, just curious... how closely did you coordinate your launch (hitting the publish button) with your Hungry Author campaign? Did you wait to make sure everything was happening at once?

I write pulp.
    M.D. Massey | blog | facebook | twitter | youtube | google+ | amazon | goodreads

Offline Gone Girl

• View Profile
    Re: Coming Back to Life - The Launch Thread You Weren't Really Asking For
    « Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 05:54:27 pm »
    We miss you, Harvey Chute.
    « Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 09:46:06 am by CarlaBaku »
    I do not accept or consent to KBoards/VerticalScope's 2018 revision of their TOS. Dated: September 22, 2018.

Offline Scott.Tracey

• Ohio
    • Pressure makes diamonds.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 05:56:27 pm »
    Good luck! I'm extremely interested to see how things develop.

Scott Tracey | Twitter | Tumblr | Website

Offline A Woman's Place Is In The Rebellion

• Peace out.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 05:57:11 pm »
    Best of luck, Rob! Looking good so far.

Offline Dom

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 06:20:27 pm »
    Good luck, Rob. Hang in there a few days until your also-bought publish. I'd be curious if that happens faster since you used pre-order.

BJ Bourg

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 08:25:34 pm »
    Book Bub New Release Notification: I have over 400 followers on BookBub (who knew?), and the Bub had kindly let me know they are going to send them all an email tomorrow to let them know about the book. We'll see how that goes.

First off, congratulations on your numbers!

Second, and lastly, I released a new book yesterday and BookBub let me know the same thing...but I have 1 follower, lol.

Offline S.L.

• Los Angeles, CA, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 08:28:36 pm »
    Best of luck to you.  I will be in the same boat in a month's time.

Offline M.D. Massey

• Austin, TX
      • View Profile
      • M.D. Massey
    « Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 04:49:21 am »
    Hehe. In my reply to Nick I admitted that I didn't coordinate anything very well. But I did want the HA to fire on my launch day. Luckily, despite my poor planning, Rebecca managed to squeeze me in.

I guess there's hope for me then. Your post is the first I'd ever heard about the service, and I have a new novel dropping soon so I'd love to try it out. Looks like Rebecca is closed until 8/1 though, so I might hold off on publishing it until I speak with her about a booking.

I write pulp.

Offline NoLongerPosting

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 05:20:21 am »
    Removed due to site owner's change of TOS.
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 10:27:46 am by Rickie Blair »

Offline MCwrites

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: June 21, 2016, 06:36:06 am »
    Congrats on a great launch! Love these threads, keep them coming!

Offline CaitD

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: June 21, 2016, 06:57:57 am »
    Congrats. The cover drew me in, the first few pages made me buy. Looking forward to reading it. :)

Offline Steven Slavick

• View Profile
      • Sydney Bristow
    « Reply #20 on: June 21, 2016, 08:05:54 am »
    Congrats on the release, Rob! (I just downloaded a copy.) Glad to see following the advice of others in the genre made all the difference for you. (KBoards authors sure helped me a bunch of times!)

In regards to raising the price after a week, I've tried that three times with my first UF book during promotions...and it killed my momentum the first 2 times. (Not saying it'll happen to you as well, since raising the price seemed to actually increase momentum for a good number of authors.) But I've seen some writers stick with $.99 for 3-6 weeks, whereupon they'd then release the next book and then increase the price once they got some reviews and word of mouth went around. Just something to consider.

Offline sjoss

• Lake Oswego, OR
    • I think. I write. Sometimes, I don't even think.
      • View Profile
      • Sharon Joss Writes
    « Reply #21 on: June 21, 2016, 08:27:45 am »
    Hey Rob,
    Congratulations on the launch. Looks like you've got a winner. 
    Please excuse my ignorance(I'm a newbie), but could you clarify the 'Rebecca' 3 segment blast option? Is it the same thing as the "Hungry Author Campaign?" What exactly is that? I stalk skulk the same author you do, but don't recall that term, and everyone else seems to know what you're talking about.  Thanks!
    Sharon

Award-winning author of speculative fiction & supernatural thrillers
    Sharon Joss | Sharon Joss Writes | Sharon Joss | SharonJossAuthor

R.B. Blaxton

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2016, 08:31:48 am »
    Good luck! I'm curious what about your process you changed? What specifically did you find your market wanted that you weren't previously doing? Thanks for sharing!

Offline PearlEarringLady

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: June 21, 2016, 08:46:12 am »
    Yay - another launch thread! {Does happy dance} One can never have too many launch threads. No, seriously. Because everyone is a little bit different, so we all learn something new.

Good luck with it, it seems to be going really well so far.

Offline Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: June 21, 2016, 07:46:57 pm »
    Appreciate the answers, Rob. You're #1 on my also-vieweds, which probably won't do anything for you (I just noticed I'm not even in the urban fantasy category; LOLZ). But I'd assume you're high on a few other people's as well. When all those flip to also-boughts, that'll help. Should be any day now.

Also, as promised, the results of the triple release blast for my own UF experiment: 69 sales yesterday. I got about 30 from the standard blast on a post-apoc/dystopian novel (81k words). For $299/$149 respectively, that's obviously steep in terms of direct ROI. But at launch you'd like to pour as much gasoline on the fire as possible + I think the also-boughts are really important. Hungry Author seems locked in with the UF/paranormal genres, so hopefully that'll get me some love from the Amazon algos.

Y'all can find other launch services in this mini-guide.

Obvious tactical errors on my part that could affect promo strength: I rescheduled at the last minute for the triple-blast, didn't add any keywords, have the book in occult instead of urban fantasy (!), typo in the second line of the blurb (LOLZ x 2), the book is listed as around 100 pages on 'zon due to my formatting/lack of print version (it's about 220 pages/41k words), and I have no other promos running (I mean zero - no mailing list, Amazon notifications, NOTHING). But from what I've gleaned from the boards, my results seem about in line with expectations.

For those who care about these things, my rank got as high (low?) as 2948 on the day of the triple blast. Also sold 12 copies today + 223 page reads with no also-boughts, so those might be trickling down from the blast, too.

Anyway, this is Rob's thread, so I won't bore everyone with the minute details. Figured that might be helpful to folks deciding whether to shell out for the big gun blast. If I get sticky through some random miracle, I'll let y'all know.

Nick

KBoards.com

• Advertisement