Author Topic: Prophecy of the Kings - a Fantasy Trilogy  (Read 8966 times)  

Offline Davidjb

• maidstone
    • View Profile
    • David Burrows, fantasy author, homepage
Prophecy of the Kings - a Fantasy Trilogy
« on: May 03, 2010, 02:06:16 am »
Hello. I am the author of The Prophecy of the Kings, a fantasy trilogy which comprises Legacy of the Eldric, Dragon Rider and Shadow of the Demon. The three books are now available on Kindle. See below for the links.

Sample chapters and reviews are available on my website http://davidburrows.org.uk/.

The books have recently achieved a Gold Award on http://readersfavorite.com/cat-71.htm?review=3451. The Prophecy of the Kings was also July Book of the Month on http://www.sciencefictionandfantasy.co.uk/legacy-of-the-eldric.htm.

This review is from Science Fiction and Fantasy Website:

"In the distant past an all but forgotten race called the Eldric fought against the demon hordes in the legendary Krell Wars. In a close fought battle the Eldric became victorious and banished the soul of the Demon Horde's leader, a sorcerer of immense power known as Drachar. After the battle the Eldric disappeared from the land, taking with them the knowledge of sorcery lest another rise up and misuse the power and they, along with the war and knowledge of demons faded into myth and legend.

Recent times have given rise to a prophecy that says the shade of Drachar will rise again and with him the demon hordes.

Kaplyn is a prince of the realm who is desperate to escape the stifling confines of the Royal Court and sneaks away for an adventure. Kaplyn manages to find trouble soon enough in the form of bandits who have captured a stranger to the land. After rescuing this stranger, who goes by the name of Lars and has been shipwrecked on this land after a storm, they soon encounter Vastra, a sorcerer who enlists their help to find a relic of the long dead Eldric. All three soon become embroiled in a quest to discover just what happened to the Legendary Eldric and if possible, bring them back.

Legacy of the Eldric is a classic high fantasy novel, inspired by JRR Tolkien work (as many authors are) the novel manages to pay homage to the Lord of the Rings without any attempts at plagiarism. The central protagonists are rich in character and well fleshed out, Kaplyn the young prince desperate to have some adventure and avoid the drudgery of his high born life, while Lars is the tough but dependable fighter while the sorcerer Vastra is the unknown quantity, somewhat dark and troubled and really only seeming to aid when there is something in it for himself. Vastra shows the weaker elements of the human psyche, greed, selfishness, anger and sometimes even malice but occasionally tempered by more positive character traits.

The plot is quite fast paced with the minimum amount of world building needed to give background to the story while the 3rd person narrative is both clear and easy to read. Although the novel does contain the standard fantasy fair of Dwarves, Elves (at least their equivalent) and evil creatures, we are only really introduced to these as the story requires and nothing feels forced.

Legacy of the Eldric is pure escapism, a high fantasy novel that manages to entertain from beginning to end with an easy to read narrative, interesting characters and intelligent world building, I highly recommend this novel to any fan of fantasy fiction."

For those who have read it - let me know what you think. I would welcome your comments.

Good reading

David  :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 10:59:41 am by Davidjb »

Prophecy of the Kings is a traditional fantasy trilogy in the vein of David Gemmell
David Burrows | Prophecy of the Kings Website | David\'s Author Blog | David\'s Facebook Page

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Virgoddess

• View Profile
    Re: New fantasy trilogy
    « Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 06:55:59 am »
    Looks interesting! Got a sample. Good luck to you!
    Jen

My pledge is to review all indie books I read honestly and constructively.

Read: Portal
    Reading: Elfhunter
    Next up: The Killing Room

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 09:04:54 am »
    Hi David,

Welcome to KindleBoards and congratulations on your book!

We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Be sure to read the fine print below. Don't forget to bookmark this thread so you can update it.  Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, most of our authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows.  This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles!

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards!  Feel free to PM us if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
    Book Bazaar Moderators

The fine print:
    Please add to your existing book thread when you have news about your book rather than start a new one, it helps the members who are trying to follow you.  You may have a separate thread for each of your books.   We recommend you bookmark your post so that you can find it in the future.   ;) You may respond to all posts, but if there have been no member posts, we ask that you wait a week before "bumping" the thread by posting back-to-back posts of your own.  And we ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link.  Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead. All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum. From time to time our site rules may change; be sure to check Forum Decorum (https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,36.0.html) for the current guidelines and rules. :D
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Debra L Martin

• USA
    • Debra L Martin
      • View Profile
      • Two Ends of the Pen
    « Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 09:43:50 am »
    Hi David,

Welcome to Kindleboards.  It's a great place to hang out and meet new people.  I'm fairly new here myself, but I can say that I learned a lot from everyone who post regularly.  Lots of great topics to look through.

Deb
    _|__|__|__|_

Offline traceya

• Brisbane, Australia
    • Tracey Alley
      • View Profile
      • Tracey Alley
    « Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 04:47:37 am »
    Hi David,

Congratulations and welcome to kindle boards  :)

Cheers,
    Trace

Offline Edward C. Patterson

• Allentown, PA
    • Author of 38 Published Books
      • View Profile
      • Dancaster Creative - Authors Page
    Re: New fantasy trilogy - The Prophecy of the Kings
    « Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 10:04:31 am »
    Welcome. Bought all three for my TBR list (ostly because I have dragon rider's also - but they're Chinese)  ;D Love your covers.

Ed Patterson
    AUTHOR of 38 Published Books

Offline foreverjuly

• Crank Up The Awesome!
      • View Profile
      • Jason Letts's Blogathon
    « Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 03:14:19 pm »
    From another dedicated fantasy writer, I'd like to extend a hand of welcome to you. The water's warm here, so jump right in. Hopefully we'll see you popping into the Writer's Cafe for a little reconnoitering too. Good luck with the book and series. I can't wait to check them out!

Offline sbaum4853

• Albuquerque, NM
    • Spencer Baum - YA Fantasy Author
      • View Profile
      • Spencer Baum
    « Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 03:49:45 pm »
    Welcome! 

Offline J.E.Johnson

• Central Coast CA
    • Jenna Elizabeth Johnson
      • View Profile
      • The Legend of Oescienne
    « Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 11:04:19 pm »
    Welcome David!  I'll be sure to check out your books since they are written in my preferred genre  ;D.  Good luck with your writing!
    -Jenna
    Jenna Elizabeth Johnson

Offline Marisa14

• View Profile
    Re: New fantasy trilogy - The Prophecy of the Kings - Kindle low price
    « Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 09:39:53 am »
    Congratulations.
    Looks interesting.  :)

Offline Neo

• View Profile
    Re: New fantasy trilogy - The Prophecy of the Kings - Kindle low price
    « Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 09:47:15 am »
    Just wanted to say that I decided to give Prophecy of the Kings a try. I'm in the middle of Dragon Rider (book 2) and literally glued to my Kindle! Very solid Fantasy, very well written, utterly enjoyable! And yes, I have already downloaded book 3  ;D

Thank you for a great new find - it just doesn't happen that often anymore.

Anyone into solid epic fantasy just can't afford to pass this one by!

Offline Neo

• View Profile
    Re: New fantasy trilogy - The Prophecy of the Kings - book of the month
    « Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 10:00:12 am »
    I'm halfway through Shadow of the Demon (book 3) and couldn't agree more: this is a fantastic trilogy, one of the most enjoyable reads I have had in a while, really! Now it's getting bitter sweet though: can't wait to read what happens next (and how it finishes) and I NEED to read on, but I also don't want it to end and so find myself slowing down, aaaargh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for writing it and bringing your readers such a good time through it David  :)

Offline chefazn

• View Profile
    So much to read. . . I'll put this in my queue. 

Offline jbh13md

• Columbus, Oh
    • "The Lord is slick, but He ain't mean." - Einstein
      • View Profile
    Re: New fantasy trilogy - The Prophecy of the Kings - July book of the month
    « Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 08:01:11 am »
    Looks like a cool trilogy and compliments on a very professional announcement.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    Re: Epic fantasy - The Prophecy of the Kings - Gold Award
    « Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 03:47:55 am »
    Congrats on the award, David!  Stay warm over there!

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
    • Bellingham WA
    • Love all, moderate all.
      • View Profile
      • KBoards
    Re: Epic fantasy - The Prophecy of the Kings - Gold Award Winner
    « Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 07:10:03 am »
    I'm pleased to announce that Book 1 of The Prophecy of the Kings (Legacy of the Eldric) is our KB Book of the Day!
    Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.

Offline B-Kay 1325

• Tucson, Az
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 08:47:11 am »
    I love to read books with dragons, just bought all three.

Offline Neo

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 10:14:15 am »
    I love to read books with dragons, just bought all three.

I thought they were all great and couldn't put them down!!!!! Hope you enjoy them as much as I did  :)

Offline Davidjb

• maidstone
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 07:48:48 pm »
    Hi all

I hope others are enjoying the books. I have created a facebook page for The Prophecy of the Kings. If you are on facebook then sign up. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=122804761106404

Good reading

David

Prophecy of the Kings is a traditional fantasy trilogy in the vein of David Gemmell
    David Burrows | Prophecy of the Kings Website | David\'s Author Blog | David\'s Facebook Page

Offline Davidjb

• maidstone
      • View Profile
    Re: Dragons, demons and one man's fate - The Prophecy of the Kings
    « Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 01:26:36 am »
    This is the latest Amazon review (.co.uk) http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/0955676088/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

This is the most captivating fantasy work that I have read in the last 10 years. The tale starts as a simple adventure but soon runs into magic, parallel worlds, dragons and souls connected through time and space. The story unfolds in 3-D technicolour in your mind as you read with each character coming to life as they arrive in the storyline. If you like your fantasy with twists and turns written with a refreshing originality, then this is the book for you.

Take a read of the trilogy for yourself. If you have read the books, let me know what you think or post your own review.

Good reading  

David
    « Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 02:35:45 am by Davidjb »

Offline Davidjb

• maidstone
      • View Profile
    Re: Dragons, demons and one man's fate - The Prophecy of the Kings
    « Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 12:52:08 am »
    This is the latest Amazon.co.uk review http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/0955676053/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

"The Legacy of Eldric was brilliant. It had me completely gripped. I was torn between not wanted to put it down, but also being so tense (I couldn't possibly admit to being scared!) that I almost didn't want to read on... but I just had to. It just had me hooked - I'm half way through the next one, and think the third might just have to be my Christmas present to myself.

If you like reading about elves, dragons, demons and all kinds of fantasy adventures - then I thoroughly recommend The Legacy of Eldric to you. Enjoy (I did!)"

Try it for yourself while the low price holds and let me know what you think

David

Offline Davidjb

• maidstone
      • View Profile
    Re: Guardian Angels
    « Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 08:08:45 am »
    Apparently 40% of people believe in guardian angels. What do you believe? Read the Prophecy of the Kings and see how the author deals with this subject. For most people the link with their guardian angel is tenuous, a warning in the dark of the night, a feeling on entering a room for the first time, ghostly eyes and not being alone

Imagine then a guardian angel being your twin: a twin who died in the womb and was never born. How much closer would your link be with your guardian? How would that affect your life, being closer to the spirit world? Would you use that power for good, or for ill?

Imagine your guardian spirit being the shade of a dead emperor from another world: a world not much different to yours; a world at war, a war at the behest of the emperor who is now your guardian: a world with a dark secret. How would this affect your dreams? Could you sleep?

Imagine your guardian being a demon. Now the link to the spirit world is complete. At night your dreams are no longer your own. Look into the demon world and see the horror they create. Live with that and rejoice. What would that make you?

These are the characters in the books. Read the novels and see who you are most like. How would you cope?

Offline Neo

• View Profile
    Re: The Prophecy of the Kings - Thanks
    « Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 02:46:44 pm »
    Just checked out the new cover art for book 1, and have to say that I really like it! But it doesn't fit as well with the cover art of books 2 and 3 - are you going to change the covers of those too?

Offline Davidjb

• maidstone
      • View Profile
    Re: The Prophecy of the Kings - Thanks
    « Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 09:25:54 am »
    Thanks for the reply Neo. No, I like books 2 and 3 cover art. A few folk said they didn't like book 1. I had a think about it and asked the artist for this scene in particular. I'll privately post the scene so as not to ruin it for others.

Offline Davidjb

• maidstone
      • View Profile
    Re: The Prophecy of the Kings - new novel coming soon
    « Reply #24 on: July 30, 2011, 12:49:22 am »
    Sales of Prophecy of the Kings has hit 1000 ebooks so thanks all. Please let me know what you think.

Drachar's Demons. Thanks all for the help choosing the title. The book is finished bar the editing. I have just had the front cover designed. I'll post a copy on my blog http://newfantasytrilogybydavidburrows.blogspot.com/

David
    « Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 01:03:34 am by Davidjb »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement