Author Topic: Anybody else in the "eye" of Hurricane Matthew?  (Read 1328 times)  

Offline JRTomlin

• Leaving the forum
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody else in the "eye" of Hurricane Matthew?
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2016, 08:41:34 pm »
Stay safe. Sending good thoughts the way of everyone in that part of the country.
I do not accept the Terms of Service which were instituted without notification. I do not consent to VerticalScope reproducing content I posted on this forum in any newsletter, website, or another forum. I've requested account deletion; however, the owners of this forum REFUSE to delete my content. Further, I repudiate any association with ads that are sexist, racist, and demeaning to women which are now appearing on this site.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #26 on: October 07, 2016, 04:29:36 am »
    Gertie, Anguabell, deckard?  Anyone?  Hoping you are all safe.  :-*

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: October 07, 2016, 05:15:23 am »
    Looked at the map this morning and it looks like Matthew is taking a leisurely cruise up the east coast of Florida, just off shore.

My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: October 07, 2016, 05:18:42 am »
    This satellite image shows the size:

My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline deckard

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: October 07, 2016, 06:45:51 am »
    My brother in Cocoa lost power about 3:30 this morning. Everyone in his family is safe. They are posting on Facebook using their phones with updates. (John----Save you power in case you need it. Don't use your phone to post to Facebook!)

Gainesville with some small branches from trees down in the yard. Nothing major yet but expecting high winds and rain from 11am-6pm.

We lived in Missouri 8 years and, like Gertie, I'll take the hurricane. Lived in Springfield just north of Battlefield, which was devastated by a tornado back in 2004 (I think it was). Most scared I have been in my life was the 45 minutes in my bathroom with my wife, cat, and dog. Yep. I'll take a hurricane.

Everyone be safe.

Deckard

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: October 07, 2016, 06:52:18 am »
    Sorry I didn't check in earlier. Lots to do this morning. And lots more as the clean-up will start as soon as we get home.

Apparently a statewide group huff and puff blew Matthew just far enough away that all we got was tropical storm winds and a whole lot of rain. Matthew was supposed to make landfall between Ft. Pierce and Very Beach. Vero is about 35 miles north of me and Ft. Pierce about 20. At the 11pm advisory, they changed that to Melbourne and Matthew made a slight shift to the east at that time as well. That's what saved us from hurricane force winds.

I went to sleep about 11:30 but woke up twice for bathroom runs. At about 2am, the winds were at 41mph and at 5am, 32mph. I haven't been able to find out what the gusts were but I imagine about 70mph.

As I expected, my new powder puff tree is a casualty, and about half of my fence post caps are scattered around. Looks like they stayed close to home. We'll pick them up later. The tree is still there because we tied it down when we planted it, but the trunk is completely bent to the ground. I'll try to save it.

My other expected casualty is my greenhouse but not in the way I figured it would happen. I took Angelo for a walk this morning and we went into my backyard to find the greenhouse completely gone. I mean gone. Like someone stole it. Some of the shelves were lying on the ground. So, we went out of the yard through the gate on that side of the house and there it was. Lying in Mom's neighbor's back yard. It got lifted over my six foot fence and set down as nice as you please. I left the door of it unzipped so there wouldn't be so much pressure on the vinyl. But that had the effect of allowing the wind to build up inside the house and lift it up just like a tornado.

The only part of the frame that is bent is the crosspiece at the top but that's very thin anyway. There's one split seam but only by about n inch and I think I saw a tear toward the top of the frame. All very easily fixed. I'll be writing a very nice review on amazon as soon as I completely assess the damage. I really expected the vinyl cover to be in shreds and the frame to be twisted into a sculpture I would call The Soul of Matthew.

Mom was up until about 11pm and she was on a tear. Don't know what I did wrong this time but she carried on for quite a while. I think she just wanted attention. Our caregiver, blessed lady that she is, is coming in shortly.

GS said my snoring kept him awake most of the time. I said it was the dog.

I'm celebrating survival with my first ever in my whole life banana and peanut butter sandwich. Yum.

Offline deckard

• View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: October 07, 2016, 07:02:01 am »
    Good to hear from you Gertie and very glad all of you are safe. That eastward jog helped my brother and his family from having the eye pass over him.

Everyone stay safe.

Deckard

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: October 07, 2016, 07:06:43 am »
    Glad to hear from you guys. That is so crazy about the greenhouse. It flew.

Glad it wasn't more damage. Still going to be really bad for a lot of people though.

Offline Kathy

• Lighthouse Point, FL
    • Member 376
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: October 07, 2016, 07:34:05 am »
    I live north of Fort Lauderdale and was expecting to get a hard hit. We got lucky and I'm very grateful. Hope that the folks in the Northern parts of Florida are ok.

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: October 07, 2016, 08:11:49 am »
    I live north of Fort Lauderdale and was expecting to get a hard hit. We got lucky and I'm very grateful. Hope that the folks in the Northern parts of Florida are ok.

Very odd that Vero Beach was getting slammed with rain and wind when Matthew hadn't even left Palm Beach County. They were in much worse shape than we were even early in the evening.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: October 07, 2016, 08:12:13 am »
    My brother in Cocoa lost power about 3:30 this morning. Everyone in his family is safe. They are posting on Facebook using their phones with updates. (John----Save you power in case you need it. Don't use your phone to post to Facebook!)

Gainesville with some small branches from trees down in the yard. Nothing major yet but expecting high winds and rain from 11am-6pm.

We lived in Missouri 8 years and, like Gertie, I'll take the hurricane. Lived in Springfield just north of Battlefield, which was devastated by a tornado back in 2004 (I think it was). Most scared I have been in my life was the 45 minutes in my bathroom with my wife, cat, and dog. Yep. I'll take a hurricane.

Everyone be safe.

Deckard

The thing about hurricanes is that, nowadays, you know if/when they're coming.

They can post tornado warnings but they're still pretty random in where they show up and how long they last and can arrive very suddenly . . . which limits how much you can do to prepare/get someplace safe.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: October 07, 2016, 08:20:53 am »
    The thing about hurricanes is that, nowadays, you know if/when they're coming.

They can post tornado warnings but they're still pretty random in where they show up and how long they last and can arrive very suddenly . . . which limits how much you can do to prepare/get someplace safe.

Exactly. I can prepare even a day or two in advance and be reasonably safe. There's no such thing as a tornado cellar here or anyplace there are high-rises and mobile homes.

We had a pretty bad tornado here some years ago and my daughter was home alone. All I could advise her to do was get in the closet. Luckily, it skipped our house and hit the house in back of us. Pretty scary for both of us.

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: October 07, 2016, 08:40:36 am »
    My 3 co-workers in the Orlando area have had a few intermittent power outages and a bit of minor damage (section of wooden fence down, one window cracked), but otherwise not too bad. Still waiting to hear from my cousin who lives much closer to the east coast.

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #38 on: October 07, 2016, 08:53:19 am »
    As Kathy said, we were VERY lucky here in South Florida and sustained no major damage. All winds came from north and our windows are facing east, so we barely heard anything.
    But I was quite worried about Gertie and deckard, thank you for checking in! In times like this, the damage is a sad thing but needless to say, things can be slowly repaired and replaced, and the main thing is that you and your loved ones were not injured.
    Continuing best wishes sent to all still in danger.

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: October 07, 2016, 09:41:52 am »
    I haven't heard any reports of death or even injury, thank goodness. My neighbor had a tree come down on a power line but FPL has already gotten back to him.

Glad we're all okay. It could have been so much worse.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #40 on: October 07, 2016, 10:50:14 am »
    So glad to hear from all of you!  Stay safe!

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Kathy

• Lighthouse Point, FL
    • Member 376
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: October 07, 2016, 12:28:53 pm »
    The worst problem we had was the boats. I live on the Intracoastal in a condo. We dock our boats there. Ours came loose right in the middle of the rain and wind. Trying to get it tied back up with 35 mile wind and rain was not fun. We also have a lot of people with boats that are not here yet for the season, so we were trying to help get everything on their boats put away so it wouldn't blow away. The community was great and everyone helped each other. That is one of the things I really love living in Florida. Neighbors know each other and are always willing to help.

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: October 07, 2016, 03:07:16 pm »
    True, kathy. We've had several offers of help both before and after.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement