Author Topic: How do you manage & get the best out of Twitter  (Read 1659 times)  

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
    • View Profile
How do you manage & get the best out of Twitter
« on: October 09, 2016, 04:14:29 pm »
I have an account but really don't do anything with it. There is so much dribble that I have no interest in and I'm wondering if there are ways to be able to "hone" feeds & tweets but not be overwhelmed?
Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    Re: How do you manage & get the best out of Twitter
    « Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 07:18:03 pm »
    I like Twitter a lot. I follow about 550 accounts and use lists. I have a list for friends, artists, authors, colleagues, news, weather etc. It's really helpful for me to see the headlines from different countries all at one place. Also, it's useful as a tool to keep with blog updates. I just like things to be organized :)

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 07:44:11 pm »
    I like Twitter a lot. I follow about 550 accounts and use lists. ... I just like things to be organized :)
    So I'm guessing that you use a desktop app to make these lists? What do you use?
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline SteveHarrison

• Sydney, Australia
      • View Profile
      • Storming Time
    « Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 08:06:01 pm »
    I've been steadily building my followers and tweeting via several tweet groups for the last few months, which has revived my sales and helped me gain traffic to my website. I pretty much do all my promotion through Twitter.

Every post results in lots of 'follows,' so, unless there is something I find disagreeable about the follower (sexual content or accounts selling followers, for example), I follow them back and retweet their pinned tweet. I also watch for trending hashtags and if there is even a tenuous link to my book, I will use it spontaneously on a tweet.

I also use Hootsuite to schedule my daily tweets, which reduces the workload substantially by allowing me to schedule up to weeks ahead. There are other similar sites, but Hootsuite was the first one I tried and I like it.

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 08:32:29 pm »
    I'm not trying to build up followers at all. (Obviously I am not a normal twitterer) There are some public tweeters & issues I'd like to follow, but it's just too overwhelming to try to figure out how to screen out all the riff-raff
    « Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 08:34:34 pm by CegAbq »
    Carol in 'burque

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 08:40:11 pm »
    So I'm guessing that you use a desktop app to make these lists? What do you use?
    In the Twitter app, click on Me, then on the little wheel with settings, then on View lists. You can add lists by clicking on the plus sign in the top right corner. You add people to lists by clicking on their account, then on settings, and selecting the add/remove from list option.
    I don't use any 3rd party app for Twitter but I've heard there are some rather good ones.

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 08:53:28 pm »
    In the Twitter app, click on Me, then on the little wheel with settings, then on View lists. You can add lists by clicking on the plus sign in the top right corner. You add people to lists by clicking on their account, then on settings, and selecting the add/remove from list option.
    I don't use any 3rd party app for Twitter but I've heard there are some rather good ones.
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.
    Carol in 'burque

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    « Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 09:12:45 pm »
    Well....I get the best out of Twitter by mostly not going there!   :D  I understand the use for people promoting a product (including themselves), but that's not me. Melodrama villains work best behind the scenes! And in any case, I find a too-large part of what goes on there to be just huffing and puffing. But I'm a snob and a curmudgeon, don't mind me....
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 09:37:34 pm »
    Well....I get the best out of Twitter by mostly not going there!   :D  I understand the use for people promoting a product (including themselves), but that's not me. Melodrama villains work best behind the scenes! And in any case, I find a too-large part of what goes on there to be just huffing and puffing. But I'm a snob and a curmudgeon, don't mind me....
    ;D ;D ;D
    I don't want to tweet, so I'm with you! But there are some public feeds I'd like to follow & I'm trying to figure out
    Carol in 'burque

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 08:53:46 am »
    Well put. Yes, as a communication tool it's completely meaningless from my point of view :) And I just don't follow all those opinion-based accounts - huffing and puffing indeed! But I am an extreme introvert working from home, so it gives me, thanks to my curated lists, a quick overview of what is going on in the outside world, without any personal involvement or interaction. The overview might be a bit loop-sided (to say the least), but it kind of keeps me company those 10 hours a day I spend in front of the computer.

Offline *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon)

• Mtn House, CA
    • Self-help and Spiritual Living
      • View Profile
      • "HEALTH and LOVE is your birth-right" Series
    « Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 08:26:24 pm »
    I have twitter account. I mostly follow back those who follow me. I know how to create lists and can post tweets but really don't know, for example, to use twitter for promoting books.

Since most of us are authors, it will be nice to share if someone knows how to promote books using twitter. Thanks for starting the thread and for posting ideas about using twitter....

Offline Angela Haddon

• Book Cover Designer
      • View Profile
      • Angela Haddon Book Cover Design
    « Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 10:00:00 pm »
    The best tip I have is to create 'Lists' (in your Twitter settings) and separate accounts into them. That way you have different feeds for authors, editors, social media experts etc.

I also have 'priority' feeds for clients (so I can promote their work), and people who share really great content. It really helps to weed out the clutter. Also, if there are accounts that are just spammy, you can always mute or unfollow them!

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 06:30:33 am »
    The best tip I have is to create 'Lists' (in your Twitter settings) and separate accounts into them. That way you have different feeds for authors, editors, social media experts etc.

I also have 'priority' feeds for clients (so I can promote their work), and people who share really great content. It really helps to weed out the clutter. Also, if there are accounts that are just spammy, you can always mute or unfollow them!
    Ah, thanks, I also didn't know about muting (I do know about unfollowing).

Useful tips here, folks. Thanks ever so much
    Carol in 'burque

Offline Angela Haddon

• Book Cover Designer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 02:13:21 pm »
    You're welcome! :D Also one more tip - add a link to your Twitter account in your kboards signature so people who connect with you here on the forum can easily find and follow you on Twitter.

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 08:21:02 pm »
    You're welcome! :D Also one more tip - add a link to your Twitter account in your kboards signature so people who connect with you here on the forum can easily find and follow you on Twitter.
    Yeah, but I don't tweet! I just follow others.   :o
    Carol in 'burque

• Mtn House, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 09:02:18 pm »

How about hashtags! Any tips or opinions by you or by others. Thanks for the tips...

Offline Angela Haddon

• Book Cover Designer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: October 11, 2016, 11:54:36 pm »
    How about hashtags! Any tips or opinions by you or by others. Thanks for the tips...

Hashtags are tricky - I know there are tools out there to help identify the best ones to use, but I just do it manually ie. I'll search for something like #bookmarketing within Twitter, then read the tweets and the various popular hashtags that people use along with it. In terms of how many to use, cap it at around 5 - any more and it starts looking spammy. Also embed a few within the tweet itself; just clumping them all at the end also looks spammy. I wind up using 2 or 3 within the body of the tweet, and then I add a few at the end to boost reach to my audience.

That seems to be the best balance, and according to the research, gets the most retweets/likes (then there's also stuff like images and links, which adds an extra dimension!).

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 07:19:32 am »
    Good idea. I just added mine :)

• Mtn House, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 04:19:49 pm »
    Hashtags are tricky - I know there are tools out there to help identify the best ones to use, but I just do it manually ie. I'll search for something like #bookmarketing within Twitter, then read the tweets and the various popular hashtags that people use along with it. In terms of how many to use, cap it at around 5 - any more and it starts looking spammy. Also embed a few within the tweet itself; just clumping them all at the end also looks spammy. I wind up using 2 or 3 within the body of the tweet, and then I add a few at the end to boost reach to my audience.

That seems to be the best balance, and according to the research, gets the most retweets/likes (then there's also stuff like images and links, which adds an extra dimension!).

Great tips Angela. I thought these are like key words; just add a couple in the beginning and it will do. But it's lot more than that. I did search using your example, it shows mostly the tweets promoting their stuff to authors... That's OK but don't know what to do. For my hashtags I choose one related to topic of my book which are quite specific. Because these are non-fiction. You ever tried following people you search using hashtags....

Thanks a lot.  It's good to have authors like you on the boards... I hope more authors with interest in hashtags join us...

Offline Angela Haddon

• Book Cover Designer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 05:16:55 pm »
    It's tough for authors because there are STACKS of authors using Twitter to push their books (to the point of spam). It just winds up being noise, and the results from these campaigns are NOT good (in terms of sales). In fact, Twitters terrible for sales. It's only good for brand awareness, so if your author name/brand is associated with spammy hard-sell, it's not exactly a good thing. The key is to think about your audience, and the topics they would be interested in ... it won't be perfect (as you mentioned, you ran into the realm of non-fiction) but hopefully there's some overlap.

If you'd like to know more about hashtags and social media branding specifically for authors, I follow @BadRedheadMedia on Twitter. She blogs about this kind of stuff - definitely worth a look. Actually, she's hosting a chat in 45 mins (#bookmarketingchat) on Twitter - topic is 'Tough Love for Authors'. I'm going to pop in :D

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #20 on: October 13, 2016, 05:19:14 am »
    ;D ;D ;D
    I don't want to tweet, so I'm with you! But there are some public feeds I'd like to follow & I'm trying to figure out

I find it very useful as a newsfeed.  I followed all the news sources I want to read and find that they post their stories to Twitter long before they email them or they appear in print.  If you start following the people/sites you want to follow, your feed will slowly fill with those.  You can mute or block people/sites you don't want to appear in your feed, which will fine tune it.

Lists are good, too, though I don't use them much.

Lately, I've been using Twitter to have political discussions so I don't annoy my FB friends as much.  ;D  And I have a separate Twitter account for my quilting.

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #21 on: October 13, 2016, 05:21:17 am »
    Note that I think the main gist of this particular question is how to use Twitter as someone NOT trying to sell--as a social and/or news tool, for example.

Discussions of how to use Twitter best as an author are more appropriate for the Writers' Caf, thanks!

Betsy

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: October 13, 2016, 07:55:14 pm »
    Note that I think the main gist of this particular question is how to use Twitter as someone NOT trying to sell--as a social and/or news tool, for example.

Discussions of how to use Twitter best as an author are more appropriate for the Writers' Caf, thanks!

Betsy
    Thanks, Betsy, you aptly caught my drift ... Thanks!
    Carol in 'burque

• Mtn House, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: October 13, 2016, 08:07:02 pm »

Betsy
    Thanks Betsy.

• Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #24 on: October 14, 2016, 07:46:49 am »
    Thanks, Betsy, you aptly caught my drift ... Thanks!

:D

I find that engaging in conversations with like minded people on Twitter gains followers organically.

And when I do follow someone, Twitter suggests others that I might want to follow.  I do find a lot of interesting news articles to read on Twitter; it's currently my go-to source for breaking news.  Better than other aggregates because I can fine-tune it so precisely for the sources I want.

Betsy

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Ebenezer Lux

• View Profile
        • EbenezerLux.com
      « Reply #25 on: November 12, 2016, 12:23:43 pm »

I find that engaging in conversations with like minded people on Twitter gains followers organically.

And when I do follow someone, Twitter suggests others that I might want to follow.  I do find a lot of interesting news articles to read on Twitter; it's currently my go-to source for breaking news.  Better than other aggregates because I can fine-tune it so precisely for the sources I want.

Betsy

Pretty much this. I've recently started using Twitter again to gain a following before I publish, and I'll just occasionally flip over to the #nanowrimo or #writing tags to engage in conversation and find people to follow.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
        • View Profile
        • All about me....<hee hee>
      « Reply #26 on: November 12, 2016, 03:24:56 pm »

Alas, this also means you'll get news and commentary mostly from people who think like you do. Not always the best way to make good decisions.
      "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline KyleArmstrong

• London
        • View Profile
        • Kyle Armstorng's Books
      « Reply #27 on: November 23, 2016, 12:01:00 pm »
      I've been told to hashtag everything you can. Also follow and retweet accounts related to our subject material.

Kyle Armstrong

• Administrator
      • Alexandria, VA
        • View Profile
        • Betsy True Designs
      « Reply #28 on: November 23, 2016, 12:27:07 pm »
      Alas, this also means you'll get news and commentary mostly from people who think like you do. Not always the best way to make good decisions.

As far as things like politics, that's a risk, no doubt, but honestly, I haven't found it to be totally true.  I look at the conversations those people are having--and the ones where they're having debates tend to draw me in, and I've found a lot of diverse opinions and information.  I read a lot of diverse news sources from Fox News to The Nation. (Even, occasionally, some alt-right sites.) That's what I like about creating my own list as a news aggregator.

As far as like-minded, though, I was thinking more of people with the same interests I have--other quilters, or artists, or readers or authors.

Betsy

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
        • View Profile
      « Reply #29 on: November 23, 2016, 01:43:33 pm »
      Betsy - thanks for that input - makes sense.
      Carol in 'burque

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
      « Reply #30 on: November 23, 2016, 03:08:22 pm »
      As this last election cycle proved (to me, anyway), social media is a lousy way to get news. I've just used the (new?) filter feature on Twitter to filter out posts that contain the last name of the president elect, as that is not why I'm on Twitter -- I'm there to exchange info/ideas on certain subjects (generally non-political) that interest me. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

Offline Amyshojai

• North Texas
      • Pet Info-Tainment & Pet-Centric Thrillers!
        • View Profile
        • Amy's Pet Peeves Newsletter
      « Reply #31 on: November 23, 2016, 03:51:05 pm »
      For me, it's a way to connect and follow select interest groups (cats, dogs, writing, blogging). But lately I've not spent a huge amount of time there. Not great for interaction, but...okay for announcements or seeing what others announce. *shrug*  for those interested I'm @amyshojai

• Administrator
      • Alexandria, VA
        • View Profile
        • Betsy True Designs
      « Reply #32 on: November 23, 2016, 05:46:36 pm »
      As this last election cycle proved (to me, anyway), social media is a lousy way to get news. I've just used the (new?) filter feature on Twitter to filter out posts that contain the last name of the president elect, as that is not why I'm on Twitter -- I'm there to exchange info/ideas on certain subjects (generally non-political) that interest me. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

And see, I've been using Twitter more during the election cycle so as to not annoy my FB friends. LOL.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement