Author Topic: How do you manage & get the best out of Twitter  (Read 1658 times)  

Offline Ebenezer Lux

• View Profile
    • EbenezerLux.com
Re: How do you manage & get the best out of Twitter
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2016, 12:23:43 pm »
:D

I find that engaging in conversations with like minded people on Twitter gains followers organically.

And when I do follow someone, Twitter suggests others that I might want to follow.  I do find a lot of interesting news articles to read on Twitter; it's currently my go-to source for breaking news.  Better than other aggregates because I can fine-tune it so precisely for the sources I want.

Betsy

Pretty much this. I've recently started using Twitter again to gain a following before I publish, and I'll just occasionally flip over to the #nanowrimo or #writing tags to engage in conversation and find people to follow.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    « Reply #26 on: November 12, 2016, 03:24:56 pm »
    :D

I find that engaging in conversations with like minded people on Twitter gains followers organically.

And when I do follow someone, Twitter suggests others that I might want to follow.  I do find a lot of interesting news articles to read on Twitter; it's currently my go-to source for breaking news.  Better than other aggregates because I can fine-tune it so precisely for the sources I want.

Alas, this also means you'll get news and commentary mostly from people who think like you do. Not always the best way to make good decisions.
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline KyleArmstrong

• London
      • View Profile
      • Kyle Armstorng's Books
    « Reply #27 on: November 23, 2016, 12:01:00 pm »
    I've been told to hashtag everything you can. Also follow and retweet accounts related to our subject material.

Kyle Armstrong

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #28 on: November 23, 2016, 12:27:07 pm »
    Alas, this also means you'll get news and commentary mostly from people who think like you do. Not always the best way to make good decisions.

As far as things like politics, that's a risk, no doubt, but honestly, I haven't found it to be totally true.  I look at the conversations those people are having--and the ones where they're having debates tend to draw me in, and I've found a lot of diverse opinions and information.  I read a lot of diverse news sources from Fox News to The Nation. (Even, occasionally, some alt-right sites.) That's what I like about creating my own list as a news aggregator.

As far as like-minded, though, I was thinking more of people with the same interests I have--other quilters, or artists, or readers or authors.

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: November 23, 2016, 01:43:33 pm »
    Betsy - thanks for that input - makes sense.
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: November 23, 2016, 03:08:22 pm »
    As this last election cycle proved (to me, anyway), social media is a lousy way to get news. I've just used the (new?) filter feature on Twitter to filter out posts that contain the last name of the president elect, as that is not why I'm on Twitter -- I'm there to exchange info/ideas on certain subjects (generally non-political) that interest me. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

Offline Amyshojai

• North Texas
    • Pet Info-Tainment & Pet-Centric Thrillers!
      • View Profile
      • Amy's Pet Peeves Newsletter
    « Reply #31 on: November 23, 2016, 03:51:05 pm »
    For me, it's a way to connect and follow select interest groups (cats, dogs, writing, blogging). But lately I've not spent a huge amount of time there. Not great for interaction, but...okay for announcements or seeing what others announce. *shrug*  for those interested I'm @amyshojai

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #32 on: November 23, 2016, 05:46:36 pm »
    As this last election cycle proved (to me, anyway), social media is a lousy way to get news. I've just used the (new?) filter feature on Twitter to filter out posts that contain the last name of the president elect, as that is not why I'm on Twitter -- I'm there to exchange info/ideas on certain subjects (generally non-political) that interest me. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

And see, I've been using Twitter more during the election cycle so as to not annoy my FB friends. LOL.
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

KBoards.com

• Advertisement