Kindle Forum banner

The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread

163K views 2K replies 153 participants last post by  CF 
#1 ·
Hi, all!  This is the support thread for those of us whose books weren't selected for Kindle Scout. Most of us have, or will be, self-publishing. We'll meet here to support one another and share marketing tips and details about our book launches.

My book, Beyond the Forest, launched (secretly) on October 28th. I'm going public today, and Amazon sent the notification email to those who nominated my book. Let's see what happens next!

#2,227 ·
List updated below:

** Kindle Scout Survivor Books in Need of Reviews **

With Kindle Scout closing, the list will be maintained until each book will either reach the maximum number of reviews (20) or the number of reviews stop increasing for up to 4 weeks (starting 4/10/18), whichever comes first. After that, any updating will come to an end. Thank you to everyone and keep on writing and publishing!

Some reminders to make it easier and not have to wade through all those previous posts, especially if you're new to this thread:

To get on the list, you need to have submitted a book to Kindle Scout at least once ;) and have reviewed a book on the list. Pick whichever one interests you & contact the author for a digital copy or read in Kindle Unlimited then post your review for it. If you don't have KU or the books are not in KU, all the authors below have agreed to provide free digital review copies in exchange for a review. Just send them a PM.

Once you hit 20 reviews, you'll fall off the list. Or sooner, if you like.

To have your book(s) added/removed from the list, please reply to this thread or pm me.

We have a private Facebook group you can join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/873131669496666/permalink/904011373075362/

Important: No review swaps i.e. exchanging reviews with any author.

Kay7979 said:
The way the list was set up is that in order to have your book put on the review list, you must first review someone else's book that's on the list. Please note that the idea is we do not "exchange reviews." In other words, if I review Aaron Frale's book, he does not review mine; he reviews someone else's on the list. In time, if everyone participates, everyone's books get one or more reviews.
Please keep reading. The more you review, the more this system will work.

Books to review:

The books on the top of the list need the most help. (Arranged by lowest review numbers to highest.)

(Mystery/Thriller) - Score Of Silence - M. A. Gardner - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 0 Reviews)

(Mystery/Thriller) - Secret Of The Lost Key - Paul Kilmartin - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 1 Reviews)

(Historical Fiction) - No Place In Eden - Hilary Murray - (Has 2 Reviews)

(Dystopian Sci-Fi) - Unimaginary - Patrick Tylee - (Has 3 Reviews)

(Romantic Comedy) - A Return To Fallbrook - T.T. Rankin - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 5 Reviews)

(Sci-Fi/Space Opera) - Days Until Home - Mark Gardner - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 5 Reviews)

(Women's Fiction) - Closure - Tasche Laine - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 6 Reviews)

(Sci-Fi/Superhero) - Sixteen Sunsets - Mark Gardner - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 9 Reviews)

(Dark Fantasy) - Forged By Fire - Michael Arches - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 12 Reviews)

(Dystopian) - Atmospheric Pressure - Aaron Frale - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 15 Reviews)

(Fantasy / Children's) - Shadowbane - Paul Francois - (Has 18 Reviews)

List will be updated once a week.

#2,228 ·
List updated below:

With Kindle Scout closing, the list will be maintained until each book will either reach the maximum number of reviews (20) or the number of reviews stop increasing for up to 4 weeks (from 4/10/18), whichever comes first. After that, any updating will come to an end. Thank you to everyone and keep on writing and publishing!

Some reminders to make it easier and not have to wade through all those previous posts, especially if you're new to this thread:

To get on the list, you need to have submitted a book to Kindle Scout at least once ;) and have reviewed a book on the list. Pick whichever one interests you & contact the author for a digital copy or read in Kindle Unlimited then post your review for it. If you don't have KU or the books are not in KU, all the authors below have agreed to provide free digital review copies in exchange for a review. Just send them a PM.

To have your book(s) added/removed from the list, please reply to this thread or pm me.

We have a private Facebook group you can join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/873131669496666/permalink/904011373075362/

Kay7979 said:
The way the list was set up is that in order to have your book put on the review list, you must first review someone else's book that's on the list. Please note that the idea is we do not "exchange reviews." In other words, if I review Aaron Frale's book, he does not review mine; he reviews someone else's on the list. In time, if everyone participates, everyone's books get one or more reviews.

Books to review:

The books on the top of the list need the most help. (Arranged by lowest review numbers to highest.)

(Mystery/Thriller) - Score Of Silence - M. A. Gardner - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 0 Reviews)

(Mystery/Thriller) - Secret Of The Lost Key - Paul Kilmartin - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 1 Reviews)

(Romantic Comedy) - A Return To Fallbrook - T.T. Rankin - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 5 Reviews)

(Sci-Fi/Space Opera) - Days Until Home - Mark Gardner - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 5 Reviews)

(Women's Fiction) - Closure - Tasche Laine - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 6 Reviews)

(Sci-Fi/Superhero) - Sixteen Sunsets - Mark Gardner - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 9 Reviews)

(Dark Fantasy) - Forged By Fire - Michael Arches - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 12 Reviews)

(Dystopian) - Atmospheric Pressure - Aaron Frale - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 15 Reviews)

#2,229 ·
I haven't gotten my KS rejection yet, but I assume it will be coming soon (campaign ended Apr 22 - 5 days ago). Thank you for keeping this thread alive. I look forward to reviewing books on the list and sharing "Prone to Wander" when it's ready for self-publishing.

I asked this question on the KS board, but please send me a direct message if you have any go-by or best practices you'd be willing to share with a newbie (me!).

#2,233 ·
List updated below:

With Kindle Scout closing, the list will be maintained until each book will either

-reach the maximum number of reviews (20),
-the number of reviews stop increasing for up to 4 weeks in a row for any book or
-no new requests of books to be added to the list are received, whichever comes first.

After that, any updating will come to an end. Thank you to everyone and keep on writing and publishing!

Kay7979 said:

Books to review:

(Dystopian Sci-Fi) - Forever Young - Sue Seabury - (Has 3 Reviews)

(Women's Fiction) - Closure - Tasche Laine - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 7 Reviews)

#2,234 ·
Well my book wasn't accepted into Kindle Scout. I knew it was coming, still stung. I spent most of my free time yesterday playing the Sims 3. I made myself in about as negative a light as I could because that's how I was feeling. She was an author. I forced her to write and after about the tenth book she finally had success. I ended the night closing the game and working on an entirely different writing project.

I have my plan, I'm going to stick with it, hopefully it works. Once I get my book published I'll be back to this thread. You all have been so great, I wish you all the luck in the world!

#2,235 ·
Kristine McKinley said:
Well my book wasn't accepted into Kindle Scout. I knew it was coming, still stung. I spent most of my free time yesterday playing the Sims 3. I made myself in about as negative a light as I could because that's how I was feeling. She was an author. I forced her to write and after about the tenth book she finally had success. I ended the night closing the game and working on an entirely different writing project.

I have my plan, I'm going to stick with it, hopefully it works. Once I get my book published I'll be back to this thread. You all have been so great, I wish you all the luck in the world!
I think using Sims as an outlet to process stuff is very creative! Well done!

#2,236 ·

With Kindle Scout closing, the list will be maintained until each book will either

-the number of reviews stop increasing for up to 4 weeks in a row for any book or
-no new requests of books to be added to the list are received, whichever comes first.

After that, any updating will come to an end. Thank you to everyone and keep on writing and publishing!

Kay7979 said:

Books to review:

(Cozy Mystery) - The Truth About Fairy Tales (Matchmaking Agency) - D.M. Chappell - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 6 Reviews)

(Women's Fiction) - Closure - Tasche Laine - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 8 Reviews)

(Dark Fantasy) - Forged By Fire - Michael Arches - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 13 Reviews)

#2,237 ·
CF said:

Books to review:

(Cozy Mystery) - The Truth About Fairy Tales (Matchmaking Agency) - D.M. Chappell - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 6 Reviews)

Thank you in advance to anyone who is kind enough to provide a review. So far the reviews received have been positive, so hopefully it won't be too painful a task! Also, thank you to CF for maintaining this list until the bitter end.

DMC

#2,238 ·
Does anyone know if you are part of KDP Select do the "KU page reads" count on days when you choose to do the free book day promotion?  I mean, KU gets the book for free all the time (with the membership), so why would free days really matter?  I looked on the promotion info page and didn't see anything that specifically spoke to that.  Most likely I just missed seeing it.

DMC

#2,239 ·
DMChappellAuthor said:
Does anyone know if you are part of KDP Select do the "KU page reads" count on days when you choose to do the free book day promotion? I mean, KU gets the book for free all the time (with the membership), so why would free days really matter? I looked on the promotion info page and didn't see anything that specifically spoke to that. Most likely I just missed seeing it.

DMC
If you do a free promo. KU downloads help sales rank, and KU reads still count and you get paid for them. It all boils down what the member clicks when they are on the page. Do they click to download for free or do they click the KU button. But that's why free is still good, because the KU boost helps the free promo worthwhile.

#2,240 ·
AaronFrale said:
If you do a free promo. KU downloads help sales rank, and KU reads still count and you get paid for them. It all boils down what the member clicks when they are on the page. Do they click to download for free or do they click the KU button. But that's why free is still good, because the KU boost helps the free promo worthwhile.
Gotcha. Thanks for the info!

DMC

#2,241 ·

Kay7979 said:

Books to review:

(Women's Fiction) - Prone To Wander - Amy Craig - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 0 Reviews)

(Cozy Mystery) - The Truth About Fairy Tales (Matchmaking Agency) - D.M. Chappell - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 10 Reviews)

(Dark Fantasy) - Forged By Fire - Michael Arches - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 13 Reviews)

(Women's Fiction) - Closure - Tasche Laine - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 14 Reviews)

#2,242 ·
Well, my book wasn't accepted for Kindle Scout so I'm resigned to doing it myself. I did publish it and it's now available at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Fearless-Code-FFF-Terri-Luckey-ebook/dp/B07CXN92V3 I'm also having a book launch Thursday https://www.facebook.com/authorterriluckey/ where I'm giving out a $50 Amazon gift card and other assorted prizes if anyone would like to stop by. And I plan to read some of the books for review as soon as my launch is over. The one positive during this whole Scout experience was the support that was available here.

#2,244 ·

Kay7979 said:

Books to review:

Women's Fiction) - Prone To Wander - Amy Craig - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 1 Reviews)

(Cozy Mystery) - The Truth About Fairy Tales (Matchmaking Agency) - D.M. Chappell - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 11 Reviews)

(Women's Fiction) - Closure - Tasche Laine - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 14 Reviews)

(Fantasy / Children's) - Shadowbane - Paul Francois - (Has 16 Reviews)

#2,245 ·
I completed my first review from this list. I downloaded "CLOSURE" by Tasche Laine from Kindle Unlimited, read it, and placed a review on Amazon. I received an email from Amazon that my review was posted. I just downloaded "Score of Silence" and am beginning to read it. I could really use more reviews for my Kindle Scout rejected book, "FEARLESS" so I'd appreciate having it added to the list. https://www.amazon.com/Fearless-Code-FFF-Terri-Luckey-ebook/dp/B07CXN92V3/ It is available on Kindle Unlimited or I can send an ARC copy to anyone who's interested in reviewing it. Thank you, Terri Proksch (Pen: Terri Luckey)

#2,246 ·
terriluckey said:
I completed my first review from this list. I downloaded "CLOSURE" by Tasche Laine from Kindle Unlimited, read it, and placed a review on Amazon. I received an email from Amazon that my review was posted. I just downloaded "Score of Silence" and am beginning to read it. I could really use more reviews for my Kindle Scout rejected book, "FEARLESS" so I'd appreciate having it added to the list. https://www.amazon.com/Fearless-Code-FFF-Terri-Luckey-ebook/dp/B07CXN92V3/ It is available on Kindle Unlimited or I can send an ARC copy to anyone who's interested in reviewing it. Thank you, Terri Proksch (Pen: Terri Luckey)
Thank you very much for the wonderful review Terri Luckey! What a great name!! I would love to help you out with Fearless but I'm not allowed to review yours, since you just reviewed mine. Best of luck to you! :)

~Tasche

#2,247 ·
Thank you, Tasche Laine. I'm glad you liked my review. I know you aren't allowed to review Fearless, but please consider passing it on and reviewing someone else on the list. If everyone who receives a review, passes it on, we would all gain something from our experience with the dead Kindle Scout program besides a rejection letter. :)

#2,248 ·
terriluckey said:
Thank you, Tasche Laine. I'm glad you liked my review. I know you aren't allowed to review Fearless, but please consider passing it on and reviewing someone else on the list. If everyone who receives a review, passes it on, we would all gain something from our experience with the dead Kindle Scout program besides a rejection letter. :)
Absolutely! I couldn't agree more! I have been and am reviewing others here. :)

#2,250 ·
How do you all handle reviews that include spoilers?  Not only was the most recent review I received extremely hard, the reviewer has the character names wrong and gives away details about the book that could ruin it for others.  I am fine with the bad review, if they didn't like it, they didn't like it.  But I don't want them to ruin the story for others.  Is there anything that can be done?

P.S. - I looked at the reviewer's profile and it seems the habit is to give bad reviews.

Thanks
DMC

#2,251 ·
DMChappellAuthor said:
How do you all handle reviews that include spoilers? Not only was the most recent review I received extremely hard, the reviewer has the character names wrong and gives away details about the book that could ruin it for others. I am fine with the bad review, if they didn't like it, they didn't like it. But I don't want them to ruin the story for others. Is there anything that can be done?

P.S. - I looked at the reviewer's profile and it seems the habit is to give bad reviews.

Thanks
DMC
I replied on the other thread. Afterward, I checked the review. At least she notes upfront it contains spoilers. So, anyone who doesn't want to know things in advance may skip over it. What bothers her may not bother others, and she's noted that your writing was good overall. It could be worse!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.