Author Topic: Down outerwear  (Read 503 times)  

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
Down outerwear
« on: November 05, 2016, 06:55:36 am »
I am thinking of investing ;) in a Canada Goose down parka.  Anyone have experience with them?  Generally and cleaning in particular.  Care tag says dry clean, do not wash.  Contacted a good dry cleaner in this area.  Sounded a little iffy about dry cleaning down depending on quality of the item.  Canada Goose better be considered "quality". 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 07:28:21 am by Sandpiper »

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    Re: Down outerwear
    « Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 08:06:33 am »
    I have been thinking about this post for a couple of days, Bonnie. I have had lots of down clothing in my life. When I was younger, there was not much alternative for cold weather protection in the cold days of Montana. FYI, I have never come across a dry cleaner who had an issue with cleaning a down product, even in CA. People send their down pillows out to be cleaned no matter where they live. You are correct that goose down has a higher warmth factor than duck down. Realistically, most down products today are mixed with feathers, which lowers the warmth factor (but still plenty warm) and lowers to cost considerably. There are also many down alternative these days that are very light weight and can be thrown in the washing machine. I live in the PNW now, and would swelter in a down jacket. Also, down is pretty hopeless when it is wet. However, if I were camping in sub zero degrees in a tent, I would probably want a down sleeping bag. I still have a down sleeping bag (probably from REI in the 70s) out in the garage. Did you make a decision about buying one?
    Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 08:11:26 am »
    We have no need for down garments here in VA and need it less every year, LOL.  Interesting about the cleaning question.  Will be interested to see what people say!

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline archaeoroutes

• Somerset, England
      • View Profile
      • Alasdair Shaw
    « Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 02:00:14 pm »
    One of my jobs is as a mountaineering instructor. I have a lot of down kit (jackets and sleeping bags) that need cleaning every few months. I use Nikwax Down Wash in a regular washing machine.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 04:19:24 am »
    Because of care instructions -- dry clean -- I have pretty much decided against the Canada Goose down parka.  For years I have purchased down outerwear only from Lands' End.  Their care / cleaning instructions for down -- launder, do NOT dry clean.

But I'm still undecided.  :-\

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
    His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline hamerfan

• Turtleback
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 10:53:57 pm »
    Goose down is good. The only thing I would add is try to get a fabric outer shell. Way back when, the only thing you could find is ripstop nylon. It's fine for saving weight when backpacking, but it lets the wind howl through. These days I have a Vince Camuto down coat with the fabric outer shell. It's terrific and I'm sure other companies offer the fabric alternative to nylon as well.
    Best of luck in whatever you choose!
    Carpe Manana

KBoards.com

• Advertisement