Author Topic: October KU Payout  (Read 5227 times)  

Offline GT59

• Massachusetts
    • View Profile
October KU Payout
« on: November 15, 2016, 10:12:37 am »

I calculate .005189 - seems high   Can someone check their numbers to see if I did the math correctly

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline BeeGee

• Virginia
      • View Profile
    Re: October KU Payout
    « Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 10:23:49 am »
    That's what I'm coming up with too.

Offline Lydniz

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Credentials
    « Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 10:24:12 am »
    Nope, looks like you got it right!

Offline Queen Mab

• LGBT historical fiction and romance
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 11:30:43 am »
    Good news, but a temporary thing, I suspect.

For copyediting & proofreading, visit Edit for Indies: http://editforindies.com|Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gabriellawest|

Offline Jerri Kay Lincoln

• Arizona mountains
    • The happier you are, the happier you are . . .
      • View Profile
      • JerriLincoln
    « Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 12:18:07 pm »
    Good news, but a temporary thing, I suspect.

Maybe it's not temporary, maybe it's a trend!

JK Lincoln

Offline Queen Mab

• LGBT historical fiction and romance
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 01:16:41 pm »
    With luck it will come in before Xmas too!

For copyediting & proofreading, visit Edit for Indies: http://editforindies.com|Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gabriellawest|

Offline I'm a Little Teapot

• I am very awesome.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 01:19:53 pm »
    Makes me wonder if it's higher because they recorded far fewer pages read.

Offline Hope

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 01:22:00 pm »

I was thinking the same thing.

Offline archaeoroutes

• Somerset, England
      • View Profile
      • Alasdair Shaw
    « Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 02:08:53 pm »
    Typical - it comes back up in the month my downloads dropped!

Genres: Space Opera, MilSF, Popular Science, Physics Textbooks, Archaeology, Walking
    Alasdair C Shaw | Personal Website | SciFi Website | Physics Website | Archaeology Website | Newsletter Signup

Offline JRTomlin

• Leaving the forum
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 02:11:54 pm »
    That made October my best month since February of this year. I'll take it. :)
    I do not accept the Terms of Service which were instituted without notification. I do not consent to VerticalScope reproducing content I posted on this forum in any newsletter, website, or another forum. I've requested account deletion; however, the owners of this forum REFUSE to delete my content. Further, I repudiate any association with ads that are sexist, racist, and demeaning to women which are now appearing on this site.

Offline Used To Be BH

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 02:17:03 pm »
    That's certainly a possibility, though I also think it's possible Amazon is cracking down successfully on some of the scammers. I have a short in a small niche that is way down in the KDP cellar. Every day for several days now, it's moved up a few hundred or a few thousand ranks. Since all the books at that level are probably selling zero, there's no reason its position would shift unless competing products are dropping out above. From what I've seen, a sale or borrow would have more impact. (Really low books can jump as much as 1,000,000 spots from one sale--I've seen it happen.)

Since new books are added every day, seeing jumps like that suggests a lot of outward movement, as if a large number of scam books are being tossed. If so, that's actually a good thing.

I have not consented to the new Terms of Service, which were implemented without any announcement and without the ability to accept or reject them. My continued participation on the forum is related only to addressing this issue and cannot be construed as implied consent.  9/19/2018

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 02:25:33 pm »

That would only be true if they did not reverse-engineer their target payout.

They know the page read numbers and the choose the amount of the pool, so they can manipulate the size of the payout.

I have a strong suspicion this is a bone they are throwing us because of the problems with the numbers, and as a reward for not pulling out. There seems no other incentive for them to let the payout rise above half a cent per page. But, a couple percentage points doesn't make up for all the ongoing losses from uncounted pages.

Offline Gator

• Half price? Tattoo a pegasus on each shoulder.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 02:39:16 pm »

We don't have to wonder.  Just do the math:

$16.2 million / $0.005189 = 3,122 million pgs read / 31 days in Oct. = 100.7 million pgs read per day

$15.9 milion / $0.004974 = 3,197 million pgs read / 30 days in Sept. = 106.55 million pgs read per day

$15.8 million / $0.004575 = 3,453 million pgs read / 31 days in Aug. = 111.4 million pgs read per day

September pages read dropped 4.35% from August's, and October's pages read dropped another 5.49%.

In other words, the total pages read per day have dropped 9.6% over the past two months, because Amazon's software isn't counting nearly as many pages as it used to, yet we probably have more KU subscribers (as evidenced by the size of the monthly Global Fund increase per day).

Offline Gator

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 02:48:50 pm »
    Since new books are added every day, seeing jumps like that suggests a lot of outward movement, as if a large number of scam books are being tossed. If so, that's actually a good thing.

Or a lot of legitimate eBooks aren't renewing enrollment in KDP Select each day, providing gaps in the sales rankings that are filled in by the eBooks with lower rankings.

Offline Laurie Cook

• Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 02:49:57 pm »
    It might also be due to scammers being ejected from the program.  For me, the problem is the decline in borrows.  It started in September and October and the first half of November is dismal.   I am still getting sales, but borrows are few and far between.  However, when I do get a borrow, they seem to read the whole book.  Nothing has changed with my advertising and I am at a loss as to why I'm not getting the borrows I had previously when the books are still selling.   I even double checked to make sure they were still enrolled in KU.  Here's hoping that things pick up again.

Laurie Cook

Offline Used To Be BH

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 02:58:15 pm »
    Or a lot of legitimate eBooks aren't renewing enrollment in KDP Select each day, providing gaps in the sales rankings that are filled in by the eBooks with lower rankings.
    Except that the ranking is based on all KDP books, just the Select ones. Sure, a book coming out of Select might drop in rank once it lost its borrows, but not enough to fall behind my poor little short--at least not that quickly.
    I have not consented to the new Terms of Service, which were implemented without any announcement and without the ability to accept or reject them. My continued participation on the forum is related only to addressing this issue and cannot be construed as implied consent.  9/19/2018

Offline hopecartercan

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 03:01:21 pm »
    We're all rich!

Oh h-e-double hockey sticks yeah!!!!!!  :D ;D

Offline Used To Be BH

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: November 15, 2016, 03:02:22 pm »
    It might also be due to scammers being ejected from the program.  For me, the problem is the decline in borrows.  It started in September and October and the first half of November is dismal.   I am still getting sales, but borrows are few and far between.  However, when I do get a borrow, they seem to read the whole book.  Nothing has changed with my advertising and I am at a loss as to why I'm not getting the borrows I had previously when the books are still selling.   I even double checked to make sure they were still enrolled in KU.  Here's hoping that things pick up again.
    In contrast to the KU page-counting problem, your decline in number of borrows may just be a fluke. Mine have actually gradually increased from a low in August and are booming right now, so it doesn't seem like a systemic problem.

If Amazon is still doing gift KU memberships this holiday season, you might look for a big boost in January. Last January I had twice as many pages read as in any other month.

Offline Gator

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: November 15, 2016, 03:22:18 pm »
    Except that the ranking is based on all KDP books, just the Select ones. Sure, a book coming out of Select might drop in rank once it lost its borrows, but not enough to fall behind my poor little short--at least not that quickly.

You're right.  My bust.  Their rankings shouldn't drop that fast, although they do drop a bit faster without the borrows than with.

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: November 15, 2016, 03:33:13 pm »
    We don't have to wonder.  Just do the math:

$16.2 million / $0.005189 = 3,122 million pgs read / 31 days in Oct. = 100.7 million pgs read per day

$15.9 milion / $0.004974 = 3,197 million pgs read / 30 days in Sept. = 106.55 million pgs read per day

$15.8 million / $0.004575 = 3,453 million pgs read / 31 days in Aug. = 111.4 million pgs read per day

September pages read dropped 4.35% from August's, and October's pages read dropped another 5.49%.

In other words, the total pages read per day have dropped 9.6% over the past two months, because Amazon's software isn't counting nearly as many pages as it used to, yet we probably have more KU subscribers (as evidenced by the size of the monthly Global Fund increase per day).

It's hard to do that math tho when the first number, the 'millions of dollars in the KU pot' number, is basically pulled out of Amazon's ass every month, tho. Dividing the made up pot number by the pay rate doesn't really give you the actual numbers of pages read.
    « Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 03:35:54 pm by Going Incognito »

Offline AsianInspiration

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: November 15, 2016, 03:39:39 pm »

It's hard to do that math tho when the first number, the 'millions of dollars in the KU pot' number, is basically pulled out of Amazon's ass every month, tho. Dividing the made up pot number by the pay rate doesn't really give you the actual numbers of pages read.

Um... it totally does, unless amazon is lying...?

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: November 15, 2016, 03:43:51 pm »
    Um... it totally does, unless amazon is lying...?

You think that pot amount is legit? What about all their 'we added $$$ to the pot this month to be nice' emails?

Offline Sonya Bateman

• View Profile
      • All 3 Editing
    « Reply #22 on: November 15, 2016, 03:59:34 pm »
    "October KU Payout" ... please tell me you actually mean September, because the last payments I received are from August and I would really like to be paid for September... :P

ETA: Silly me. You're referring to the Amazon email about the mystical eleventy billion dollar payout for October, not actual payments. I can never seem to keep this stuff straight. ;D
    « Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 04:09:59 pm by Sonya Bateman »
    Good, fast, and cheap editing. PM me for details or visit https://blackratchetstudios.wixsite.com/all3editing

Offline AsianInspiration

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: November 15, 2016, 04:05:48 pm »
    You think that pot amount is legit? What about all their 'we added $$$ to the pot this month to be nice' emails?

It depends on what you mean by "legit". I mean, to my knowledge, they never revealed how they calculated how much to pay authors from KU, right? They can decide how big the pot is however they want, and that would be totally legal.

However, to lie about either the total pot or the $ per page would have legal consequences. Which is what you're implying when you're saying that page count cannot be calculated.

Offline SomeoneElse

• New Zealand
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: November 15, 2016, 04:11:11 pm »

I think you're talking about two different things. Whatever amount Amazon sets for the payout is shared among authors with pages read - Amazon state that. So unless they are straight-up lying about the way they calculate the payout, dividing the $ amount by the per page read amount will give the number of pages read.

But, as I think is the point you're making, the number Amazon chooses for the pot is seemingly arbitrary. I don't think they've said how they arrive at it, and many people seem to think the KU program is a loss leader. It would make sense that more subscriptions = more in the fund, but in reality, it could be a lot more complicated.
    I do not consent to the new TOS (2018), which were implemented without notification. Any future use of these forums is not me giving consent, implied or otherwise.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement