Author Topic: Rabbit Ears~ A Thread for Antenna & Other Alternative TV Info  (Read 1452 times)  

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • etsy shop
Rabbit Ears~ A Thread for Antenna & Other Alternative TV Info
« on: November 20, 2016, 11:22:42 am »
As mentioned in a previous post, I got rid of my Satellite provider and gone instead to a combo of antenna & streaming on my Roku. I have learned a lot this past week and thought a thread on this topic might be helpful to others doing this or thinking of doing this.

I have now been over a week without DirectTV and I love it, it feels good to be free of them. I have been very surprised out much I watch antenna tv and how much they offer. A lot of it is old, old TV shows and public TV stations. There are also some interesting channels showing movies, crime shows and documentary type stuff. "The Works" which pulls from a library of MGM films is my favorite, my TMC replacement. I discovered on the TV Guide website you can customize a guide for your area and favorite just channels you watch. This is really fantastic, it is pretty accurate and you can click on a program and get details about it. So very handy and easy, it's really helping me get the most out of whats on there.

Roku: I have an older model, works fine for the most part. I have discovered PBS just doesn't stream well through it and it is better to watch on my laptop. I have Acorn too, super cheap but lately I have not seen much on there I want to watch. For a while there was a lot... considering get rid of it. For the same price I can get more access on PBS (free streaming is a bit limiting) just don't know if paying for the upgrade would give me better reception? Anyone have the pass and notice a difference?

Hulu: I just added and so far have not used it a lot. I did get a special deal, 5.99 a month (with ads) for a year . So I will give it more time.

Would love to hear about other good streaming options and anything else!

« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 11:24:13 am by Cuechick »
Find Fab Vintage in my Etsy Shop: Fresh Pie!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
      • View Profile
    Re: Rabbit Ears~ A Thread for Antenna & Other Alternative TV Info
    « Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 06:14:36 am »
    I've never had a Roku so don't know if that could be your problem.  I have both an Amazon Fire TV and an Apple TV.  Both work well.  The few times I've streamed PBS, it's been fine.  I get two PBS stations via the antenna.  Good reception for both.  I get OTA TV via rooftop antenna on this five story condo building.  Condo association keeps it working.  I'm in the Chicago 'burbs.

If you want to keep expenses down, Amazon video and Netflix give you a lot of good viewing choices.  I also have and pay for HBONOW, Hulu Plus (no commercials), Showtime, and CBS All Access.  I don't know if it still is, but at one time Showtime was offered through Hulu.  Few dollars less than getting it directly.  No difference -- just go into Hulu app to get to Showtime.  (New season of Showtime's The Affair has or will be starting soon.)  And there are a good number of worthwhile free apps. 

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
    His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 08:01:16 am »
    I use Simple.tv as an OTA DVR. plays through Roku, computers and tablets and phones. Supplement with Netflix and Hulu and Amazon prime.
    Sports are tough. and the SyFy channel

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
      • etsy shop
    « Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 11:14:13 am »
    Hey Sandpiper ~ I do have Netflix, Amazon Prime and a few other free channels as well. You can also set up Youtube to stream, which I do. It's proven to be a good source for obscure or older TV films, especially from the UK.

I did find the British section of Hulu and am using it a lot more already. I do have access to a few premium channels through a shared family account so I am good!

Offline hamerfan

• Turtleback
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 10:49:15 pm »
    Antennas are great. That is the only way to get true HDTV channels. Cable/satellite providers compress the heck out of their signals to fit so many in a relatively small bandwidth. Congrats to all on cutting the cable!

Here's a free online TV Guide. It's customizable for any area of the USA, for off air or cable/satellite systems, and it beats scrolling through hundreds of lineups if you still have cable:

http://titantv.com

Carpe Manana

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 06:43:02 am »
    Thanks, hamerfan.  Bookmarked it in my top sites.  TiVo guide is very good, but sometimes I want a little more info about a program than what TiVo gives.

Offline passerby

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 08:12:04 am »
    Love this thread. Thought I was the only one who'd gotten rid of everything else and gone back to using rabbit ears. Nice to know that I'm not alone.

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
      • etsy shop
    « Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 02:53:06 pm »
    Love this thread. Thought I was the only one who'd gotten rid of everything else and gone back to using rabbit ears. Nice to know that I'm not alone.

It is very freeing! I'm actually reading more cause I can't fast forward through commercials anymore. LOL!

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 05:10:21 am »
    It is very freeing! I'm actually reading more cause I can't fast forward through commercials anymore. LOL!

I couldn't be without a DVR / TiVo.  FFing isn't the reason.  There are programs I definitely don't want to miss.  I need to record if I won't be home.  And if I am, I record what I'm watching cuz I often fall asleep while watching.  And I do like the on-screen schedule.

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
      • etsy shop
    « Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 07:34:06 am »
    I couldn't be without a DVR / TiVo.  FFing isn't the reason.  There are programs I definitely don't want to miss.  I need to record if I won't be home.  And if I am, I record what I'm watching cuz I often fall asleep while watching.  And I do like the on-screen schedule.

I get that. However you can now stream all the major channels (Fox, NBC, CBS etc..) either through their own streaming channels or on Hulu and as mentioned, when you want to watch them. The online guide is very convenient but I've found the TV Guide site a really good substitute and my laptop is always right next to me, so it is still pretty convenient.

I did find this DVR which looks similar to your TIVO I think but no subscription is required...

http://www.channelmaster.com/Set_Top_Boxes_s/27.htm

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 05:11:52 am »
    I get that. However you can now stream all the major channels (Fox, NBC, CBS etc..) either through their own streaming channels or on Hulu and as mentioned, when you want to watch them. The online guide is very convenient but I've found the TV Guide site a really good substitute and my laptop is always right next to me, so it is still pretty convenient.

I did find this DVR which looks similar to your TIVO I think but no subscription is required...

http://www.channelmaster.com/Set_Top_Boxes_s/27.htm

Hadn't heard of Channel Master before.  Pretty good star rating on Amazon.  Also listing there for TiVo's Roamio.  Don't know anything about it.  Also subscription free.  Have to check it out further.

Offline *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon)

• Mtn House, CA
    • Self-help and Spiritual Living
      • View Profile
      • "HEALTH and LOVE is your birth-right" Series
    « Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 03:56:41 pm »
    I am glad someone started this topic. I had been using Antenna TV for a very long time, I mean few years. I have LG smart TV and will get Samsung smart TV tomorrow. The channels vary with the area. I get most of the channels I need with inside antenna. Antenna quality is very important. I get very clear 4 PBS stations but 1 is Spanish and no good for me but very valuable for Spanish Speaking.

I have good WiFi connection that you need for streaming. I have Netflix, Amazon prime and can connect my PC to get everything you can get on PC... I love my setup and don't bother about any TV services like Cable Service or Dish network. May be more later. Thanks.

• Mtn House, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 10:08:57 am »
    Any suggestions for indoor Antenna signal booster. I love everything but good signal is important in addition to good WiFI.

Here's another TV guide for antenna channels and can be search in any zip code..
    http://www.tvguide.com/listings/ 

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
      • etsy shop
    « Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 06:51:02 pm »
    Any suggestions for indoor Antenna signal booster. I love everything but good signal is important in addition to good WiFI.

Here's another TV guide for antenna channels and can be search in any zip code..
    http://www.tvguide.com/listings/ 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C5ILO9K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this one above but it did not work at all... and it did make a few stations worse. So I sent it back. The only station I don't get is Fox and its really not that big a deal. It was very cheap but I guess it really depends on where you are. Some one else explained it in the DVR thread with a link to see your range...

• Mtn House, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 07:31:16 pm »
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C5ILO9K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this one above but it did not work at all... and it did make a few stations worse. So I sent it back. The only station I don't get is Fox and its really not that big a deal. It was very cheap but I guess it really depends on where you are. Some one else explained it in the DVR thread with a link to see your range...

ANT 1650F by RCA is working well for me. I get over 30 channels. I may buy the same for other TV. I was just curious if there is something even better...

KBoards.com

• Advertisement