Author Topic: UPDATE: Software Update 5.8.10 is live. General performance improvements.  (Read 21321 times)  

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
  • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
    • View Profile
Re: Software Update 5.8.7 is live. New font.
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2016, 05:17:17 am »
Hoping that one of these updates will allow us lefties to flip our Kindle 180 degrees so we can hold our left hand index finger between the front and back flaps.

Oasis, of course, already does that. :)

I guess I don't expect it for the PW, Voyage, or basic Kindle. :(
My Kindles
Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #26 on: December 02, 2016, 05:47:07 am »
    Oasis, of course, already does that. :)

I guess I don't expect it for the PW, Voyage, or basic Kindle. :(

Beat me to it. (Not hard, I started to answer, then got distracted.  Squirrel!)  If Amazon is considering it as a feature that sets the Oasis apart, no, it probably won't be migrated down, at least not anytime soon.

On the other hand, can't you already switch to landscape mode on other devices?  It doesn't "flip" based on how you're holding it, but you can select it, I think.  So it wouldn't take that much to allow one to select a 180 degree orientation, and would have value, I think, both for people with simple preferences and as an accessibility issue for people with handicaps.

As always, recommend that people who desire the feature provide Amazon feedback!

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Online barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: December 02, 2016, 10:06:48 am »
    Hoping that one of these updates will allow us lefties to flip our Kindle 180 degrees so we can hold our left hand index finger between the front and back flaps.

I bet if you got a cheap case and cut out part of the top to make room for the button and cable port you could fit the Paperwhite in it upside down.  I'm not sure that would work for the Voyage but I bet it would with the Paperwhite.  I'd sure use a cheap case to try it the first time though.  I know this will be hard for you guys to believe but sometimes I'm wrong. :)

Barry

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: December 02, 2016, 10:40:22 am »
    Beat me to it. (Not hard, I started to answer, then got distracted.  Squirrel!)  If Amazon is considering it as a feature that sets the Oasis apart, no, it probably won't be migrated down, at least not anytime soon.

On the other hand, can't you already switch to landscape mode on other devices?  It doesn't "flip" based on how you're holding it, but you can select it, I think.  So it wouldn't take that much to allow one to select a 180 degree orientation, and would have value, I think, both for people with simple preferences and as an accessibility issue for people with handicaps.

As always, recommend that people who desire the feature provide Amazon feedback!

Betsy

Yes . . . you can select portrait or landscape from within a book.

And the DX had full on flipping -- 4 direction orientation . The auto flipping is a hardware thing, I think, as it needs a gyroscope or something, but selecting should be software enable-able. I hadn't thought of it that way but you're right!

And, I agree -- if it's a feature you want, tell amazon you want it. :)

[email protected]
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Lursa (aka 9MMare)

• Outside Seattle, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: December 02, 2016, 01:26:14 pm »

The flip-top/easle style doesnt work for you?

Offline HappyGuy

• Central FL
    • With God, nothing is enough for anything.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: December 03, 2016, 04:49:19 am »
    To set in my ways and maybe a bit obsessive, but the book has to be in portrait for me to be comfortable reading. Ah well. Such a first world problem. :)
    "From the lips of infants and children you have ordained praise..." Psalms 8:2

Member 342

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #31 on: December 03, 2016, 05:15:12 am »
    To set in my ways and maybe a bit obsessive, but the book has to be in portrait for me to be comfortable reading. Ah well. Such a first world problem. :)

Yeah, I'm a portrait girl, myself. :D
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: December 04, 2016, 06:33:50 pm »
    I noticed a new feature in the menu on the home page where you can choose between seeing your library or seeing your reading list, which, in my case, consists of my Amazon Kindle wish list and a couple of downloaded sample books I'd forgotten about.

I'm not sure if this is new with this update or if I just hadn't noticed it before.

Barry

That library reading list appeared I think  with the previous update.   I wish they had left it so when my Voyage turned on it simply showed the library

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: December 04, 2016, 07:46:35 pm »
    Linda I agree with you to a point . . . . but I still find the sans serif fonts more difficult to read, even if they are 'darker', 'bolder', whatever. A heavier serif typeface would be ideal! At this point, I'm satisfied with Bookerly.

I feel the same way. No sans serif for me.

Mike

Offline Gary_Berg

• View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: December 05, 2016, 12:07:16 pm »
    Is there any way to force a Kindle to update without connecting it to a computer and downloading the update with a browser?

Online barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: December 05, 2016, 12:53:21 pm »
    If you don't have a computer handy I think you just have to keep your Wifi turned on and wait.  But it's a simple thing to do if you have a friend or neighbor with a computer and an internet connection it just takes a few minutes.

Also you don't need a desktop or laptop computer.  You can do it with any tablet that can connect to the internet as long as it supports USB2GO and you have a USB2GO cable.  Most tablets (not all) these days do support USB2GO and you can get that cable at Walmart or most any store that carries a few electronic things for about $5.  On a tablet you just download it and then use the built-in file explorer to transfer it.  If it's a tablet without a built-in file explorer the free ES File Explorer works just fine.

I downloaded it on my laptop.  i think the download took 2 minutes and the transfer took another 2 minutes and then I disconnected it and that part was done.  I just went into settings on the Kindle and initiated the update.

All in all it's a very simple process.  If you have the tech savvy to manipulate a doorknob you can probably do it. :)

Barry

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: December 05, 2016, 01:46:25 pm »
    A long time Bookerly user here. I've been using Emberly Bold for a few days just to see. It's fine. I'm not that particular about fonts. But what's bugging me a little bit is that it does not maintain the first word on the page as you switch fonts (even when you return to the same one), so it is a little bit disorienting.

Offline stevene9

• View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: December 05, 2016, 02:05:19 pm »
    I added the update to 5.8.7 from USB, but when I restarted my Kindle Oasis I got 5.8.5.02. It had Ember, but no Ember Bold. The update I downloaded from Amazon says 5.8.7, but doesn't give me 5.8.7.

Steve

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: December 05, 2016, 02:12:24 pm »
    I added the update to 5.8.7 from USB, but when I restarted my Kindle Oasis I got 5.8.5.02. It had Ember, but no Ember Bold. The update I downloaded from Amazon says 5.8.7, but doesn't give me 5.8.7.

Steve

You have to make sure you have the correct 5.8.7 . . . . Kindle, PW, Voyage, and Oasis all get it, but there are different versions depending on the device. Might even be different versions for the different generations of PW.

Be sure to copy the file to the 'root' of the kindle -- don't put it into any of the folders that show when you have it connected via USB.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline stevene9

• View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: December 05, 2016, 02:20:01 pm »
    You have to make sure you have the correct 5.8.7 . . . . Kindle, PW, Voyage, and Oasis all get it, but there are different versions depending on the device. Might even be different versions for the different generations of PW.

Be sure to copy the file to the 'root' of the kindle -- don't put it into any of the folders that show when you have it connected via USB.

The update says Kindle Oasis 5.8.7bin. Put it in the root directory. Computer said there was an update. Do I want to install it. I said yes. Before the update I didn't have Ember at all, now I have it. But it is rather thin and definitely not bold. There is no Ember Bold font listed. Tried the same process a second time and no difference. I did check the root directory and the update file was gone, so it seems to have updated, just not to 5.8.7. Not sure what's wrong.

Steve

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: December 05, 2016, 02:27:54 pm »

Exactly, that would be nice. Not sure how to get Amazon to do it, however.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: December 05, 2016, 03:17:26 pm »
    The update says Kindle Oasis 5.8.7bin. Put it in the root directory. Computer said there was an update. Do I want to install it. I said yes. Before the update I didn't have Ember at all, now I have it. But it is rather thin and definitely not bold. There is no Ember Bold font listed. Tried the same process a second time and no difference. I did check the root directory and the update file was gone, so it seems to have updated, just not to 5.8.7. Not sure what's wrong.

Steve

To figure out what version you're on, go to the home page.

Tap the three dots to open the menu.

Tap Settings.

Tap the three dots again.

Tap Device Info.

Among other things it will say what version of the Firmware you have.

My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline stevene9

• View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: December 05, 2016, 03:29:54 pm »
    To figure out what version you're on, go to the home page.

Tap the three dots to open the menu.

Tap Settings.

Tap the three dots again.

Tap Device Info.

Among other things it will say what version of the Firmware you have.

In my earlier post I mentioned that it is now 5.8.5.02. I forgot to mention in in the last post. I do know about Device Info. It did update to 5.8.5.02, but not 5.8.7, even though the file says Kindle Oasis 5.8.7. Recopying the bin again into the root directory did not further update the kindle.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: December 05, 2016, 03:41:13 pm »
    In my earlier post I mentioned that it is now 5.8.5.02. I forgot to mention in in the last post. I do know about Device Info. It did update to 5.8.5.02, but not 5.8.7, even though the file says Kindle Oasis 5.8.7. Recopying the bin again into the root directory did not further update the kindle.

Hmm. If you're sure you have the right file, and you're correctly following the procedures for updating manually as given on the Amazon help page, and it's NOT updating when you copy the file and tell it to do the update, then it's probably time for a call to kindle customer service. At least maybe they can push it wirelessly.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: December 05, 2016, 03:45:15 pm »
    That is odd. I'd try deleting the bin file from the computer and then downloading it again. Then try to put it on the kindle again. If that don't work I guess a call is in order. Or wait for a while with wifi on and see if it updates by itself to 5.8.7

Offline stevene9

• View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: December 07, 2016, 03:02:50 pm »
    My problem solved. The reason it didn't update to 5.8.7 when I downloaded the bin file and did an update (Oasis) was because I had the airplane mode with wifi off.  As soon as I tried the same file with wifi working, it updated to 5.8.7 and I now have ember bold. Don't know why, but that's what happened.

Steve

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: December 07, 2016, 03:08:03 pm »
    That is good to know. I didn't know wifi had to be on. I think mine is always on anyway, even if I put updates manually.

Glad you got it working.

Offline GBear

• New Hampshire
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: December 07, 2016, 04:56:52 pm »
    Wifi doesn't need to be on for my Paperwhite to update. It's been in airplane mode for years and I've done many updates. I can't speak for the Oasis, however.

Offline Jen200

• OK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: December 07, 2016, 05:12:43 pm »
    My Oasis updated without turning on wifi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline isamilis

• View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: December 08, 2016, 05:52:12 am »
    Just updated my Oasis. The dots progress is missing again? Changed to percentage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KBoards.com

• Advertisement