Author Topic: Is this a bad cover?  (Read 1656 times)  

Offline wingsandwords

• View Profile
Is this a bad cover?
« on: December 01, 2016, 09:38:04 am »
Hello,

So I don't intend on making my own covers, but I do have a love for playing in photoshop and it might be nice to be good enough to do them myself one day. At the very least, it's something calming I can do while brainstorming books. Out of curiosity, is this good or bad?

Izzy Shows | Website

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Atlanta, GA
    • Relentlessly Patient
      • View Profile
      • Fiction For Every Reader
    Re: Is this a bad cover?
    « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 09:45:26 am »
    It's bad, in my opinion, in the sense that the main character is clearly a photo. I'd suggest filters that sink her more into the setting. This looks like a composition 2/3 through completion.

I'm not sold on the fonts, either. Nice use of colors, overall.

I write worlds on paper, then destroy them.
    Jonathan C. Gillespie | Official Site | Twitter | facebook | Newsletter

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 09:48:55 am »
    You need to filter the photo of the girl more and the title font isn't good. I would be careful about using a gun, too, as it limits your advertising options. It's a good start, though.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline Catana

• Eastern U.S.
      • View Profile
      • Maverick Writer
    « Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 10:28:24 am »
    Reduced to a thumbnail,  the subtitle and series info will be unreadable. The author's name is crowded onto the top of the figure's head. The figure needs to be smaller so there is space for the top text. The blue swirl at the right looks tacked on. The title font looks like something meant for halloween or horror. Using "by" is generally considered amateurish. Plus the comments that others have made.

C.S. McClellan

Offline nolongerpublishing

• Editor
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 10:52:51 am »
    I largely agree with the feedback thus far. The model should be integrated better so it's not so apparent she's just pasted on the top. The effect around her hand also does not look integrated into the image, rather just laid over, so that should also be adjusted. Just purely for composition, I would personally consider moving it to the other side so it's blue on orange instead of blue on blue. A slight increase to the background's brightness might be worth considering. Finally, although the fonts are mostly okay, I'm not a fan of the one chosen for the book's title; it does look very Halloweeny, and not unlike the sort of thing I'd expect to see on the packaging of cheap seasonal products in a store.

Offline acapellabookcoverdesign

• Hogwarts
    • Book cover designer
      • View Profile
      • Portfolio of Book Cover Designs
    « Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 11:07:07 am »
    I like the composition, but I also feel the model and objects would benefit from matching their shadows and tones together so the light source is coming from the same place. She's very lit up in comparison to the sky and the buildings around her and it's making her stand out too much.

Offline wingsandwords

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 11:36:01 am »
    This is all very helpful feedback! I'm out and about right now, but I didn't want to think I'd replied and then forget to. I'm just very thankful you all took time out of your days to give me advice! Going to need to play around with it later today :)

Izzy Shows | Website

Offline locker17

• The Bay Area
      • View Profile
      • http://www.locker17.com
    « Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 03:42:59 pm »
    It's an okay cover. I've seen way worse. I would make the top of her head not butt right up against the text and she contrasts too much with the background. This isn't really my genre so I am not an expert.

Have you seen Ricky? Find him today.
    Shannon Brown | website | blog

Online 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
      • 9 Diamonds Press
    « Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 07:03:19 pm »
    I'd be wary about using a gun on your cover -- it will probably prohibit you in some areas like AMS. Also, you could maybe lighten the area behind the girl a little to help the central image stand out a bit more.

Offline Melody Simmons

• View Profile
      • Bookcoverscre8tive
    « Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 12:14:17 pm »
    It looks like an initial rough plan for a cover.  If your genre is urban fantasy - look at other covers in the genre.  It needs a lot of refinement in terms of lighting, color, some smoke, getting the individual elements to look like they fit together and making it look more professional with some overpainting. Also, the cover seems a bit wide.  The standard ebook proportion is 6 x 9.

read.write.repeat

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 12:18:14 pm »
    It looks like an initial rough plan for a cover.  If your genre is urban fantasy - look at other covers in the genre.  It needs a lot of refinement in terms of lighting, color, some smoke, getting the individual elements to look like they fit together and making it look more professional with some overpainting. Also, the cover seems a bit wide.  The standard ebook proportion is 6 x 9.

Agreed. It is a good starting point, though! I think the fonts could use some tweaking, too.

Offline klhynds

• Pennsylvania
    • Just a small town girl...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 05:05:55 pm »

I agree with this, it does more or less look like a rough draft because the elements don't have a blend to them, but that's not to say the cover itself is bad. It has good bones.The pose of the model is good, and I like the fonts used for the author name and series title, but I do think the title font needs more work.

I don't normally like to divulge my "tools of the trade" but something that I feel is AMAZING in book cover design is Google's software package from Nik Software--Color Efex Pro, in particular, is something I use every day while doing book cover design. Best part? It's free!

If you ever need pointers, I'm happy to chat with you. I might be a book cover designer by trade, but I won't hold back information from someone interested in learning design.

Offline rchapman1

• Queensland, Australia
      • View Profile
      • ritaleechapman.com
    « Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 06:46:58 pm »
    I think it's quite good, especially when you look at some of the other covers around!  I'm sure if you keep playing with it you'll soon get the hang of it.

Crime mysteries with a touch of romance and travel
    Rita Lee Chapman | Website | Blogger | Facebook | Goodreads | Pinterest

Offline JeffreyKafer

• SAG-AFTRA. Find me on ACX: http://goo.gl/YwOASA
      • View Profile
      • Jeffrey Kafer Voice Overs
    « Reply #13 on: December 03, 2016, 10:30:08 pm »
    I think it's awful. Sorry.

Offline SA_Soule

• Northern CA
    • Author, Creativity Coach, & Avid Reader
      • View Profile
      • Amazon Author Profile
    « Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 10:44:28 am »
    The genre is hard to define. The font for the title looks like "horror" and the image of the woman/girl with guns looks like a mystery/thriller. That weird glowing round thing looks dumped onto the cover, too. Nothing really blends.

If you want some help, shoot me an email, (Not a DM) and I'll see what I can do to make it look more professional. ;-)

S. A. Soule

Offline KyleArmstrong

• London
      • View Profile
      • Kyle Armstorng's Books
    « Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 01:15:19 pm »
    It's not great but could be worse. All it needs is a black vignette around the girl to make her mesh more with the other objects.

Kyle Armstrong

Offline mmflores

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 04:57:48 pm »
    Needs more work but not bad for someone just learning!

Offline Joseph Turkot

• New Jersey
      • View Profile
      • Website
    « Reply #17 on: December 04, 2016, 09:06:03 pm »
    Not bad, but there is definitely room for improvement. So much helpful advice here, I think this forum will help you along very well.

Joseph A. Turkot | Facebook | Mailing List & Website

KBoards.com

• Advertisement